Archive for Saturday, June 6, 2009

North Lawrence Harley parade to take off Saturday

Hundreds of Harley Davidson owners will cruise down Massachusetts Street on Saturday.

June 6, 2009

Google Map

North Lawrence Harley Parade

View Directions to 1134-1198 Massachusetts St, Lawrence, KS 66044 (South Park Gazebo) in a larger map

Harley-Davidson riders paraded Saturday afternoon from North Lawrence to South Park.

Dozens of motorcycles shone in the Holidome parking lot Friday afternoon. They might have all been Harley-Davidsons, but each was definitely unique.

Some motorcycles were decked out in leather and studs, others had black fur seats and one even had a teddy bear in the back.

Those bikes and more will parade down North Second and Massachusetts streets at 4 p.m. today. Since Thursday, Lawrence has hosted hundreds of motorcyclists as part of the Kansas Harley Owners Group 2009 rally.

“We have great weather, people are smiling, I like it,” rally coordinator Mark Marcellus said above the roar of a group of motorcycles about to take off.

Today’s parade will start in North Lawrence at the I-70 Business Center and head down North Second Street, cross over the Kansas River Bridge, continue down Massachusetts Street and end at South Park for a group photo.

The parade will be escorted by both the Topeka and Lawrence police departments, with some of the officers on bikes themselves, Marcellus said.

Along with the parade, motorcyclists will go on group rides to regional attractions and participate in the DAM Poker Run.

Comments

angelmom 5 years, 3 months ago

That explains all the bikes out yesterday. Drive safe everyone!

appleaday 5 years, 3 months ago

I wear spandex bike pants or shorts because they're the most comfortable to ride in, they have padding so I don't get sore from long rides, and they don't have loose cloth that can get twisted up in bicycle gears. I don't wear them to make any kind of fashion statement and I don't really care how it looks as long as I can ride efficiently and safely. I wear a helmet for the same reason -- the times I have gone off the bike I hit my helmet pretty hard and was glad it wasn't my head that hit the pavement. I imagine that Harley people have their regalia for similar reasons. That said, there are always people who go overboard in dressing the part, but who cares? Think about what a lot of golfers wear; some of those outfits are plenty ridiculous. People dress according to their activities and to fit in with a group of like people.

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

Whether it be a three piece pinstripe suit, cutoffs, spandex or leathers, we're all in 'costume' to some degree. Just as the daily wear of the middle east, the far east, the tribes of Africa or South America seem odd to us, we appear just as oddly garbed to them. It would seem to me that someone who can only see our differences is more the problem than those who are just 'different'.

METALQ2 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey tumbilweed, No one looks as bad as you in your sports bra and crotchless tutu. come over and tell anyone of the bikers how rediculous we look.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 3 months ago

Seems like more fun for people and the merchants so if you go... think fun and dress as you see fit.

This is a cool idea. Next will more bicycle activity which again will be fun.

Hey Downtown Lawrence INC why not get on the bandwagon for more fun with a spring and fall sidewalk sale complete with music and dancing in the streets. All schools are in session = more customers and more fun

Hey Downtown Lawrence INC why not get on the art bandwagon with two shows on Mass Street? This is in addition to the art shows in the park. Bring the people downtown.

Schedule the events on football or basketball days = more fun for sports fans. Keep these fans downtown before and after games. Mass street is where the money is.... not on New Hampshire or Vermont.

gsxr600 5 years, 3 months ago

Hopefully no accidents with motorists. I'm sure something stupid will happen though.

johnadavies 5 years, 3 months ago

I ran into a couple of guys at a gas station on bikes that said they thought it was a fund raiser for something but couldn't say what. Anyone know?