Archive for Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Transition to new shelter goes smoothly

The Lawrence Interdenominational Nutrition Kitchen is playing a new role with Lawrence's homeless community.

June 2, 2009

Chicken breast with rice, salad, a roll and a brownie.

Not bad for the first meal at an interim homeless shelter inside the church housing the Lawrence Interdenominational Nutrition Kitchen.

But ask Don Huggins, and he’ll say that’s just the beginning of good news coming out of the LINK site, which is housing displaced residents of The Salvation Army’s overnight shelter.

“People were very cooperative and very grateful,” said Huggins, president of the Lawrence Community Shelter’s board of directors. “Everybody settled in, and it just looks like it’s going to work very well.”

He said the LINK site, which housed 28 people Monday night including one family with a 1-month-old girl, exceeded expectations for its first night of operation.

“We have no reason to believe that it won’t just get better,” he said.

He described the shelter as purely an interim step in housing Lawrence’s homeless population. The temporary site won’t distract the board from moving ahead with finding a new permanent shelter to replace The Salvation Army shelter, which is now closed.

“With today’s economy, we don’t know where it’s going to go and how many more folks we might end up having to take care of,” he said. “We’re just being prepared to do what we can to help those in need.”

Throughout the day, four or five volunteers helped shelter staff by moving sleeping mats and serving food. Overnight, a monitor and a volunteer were staffing the facility.

And for the assistance that the Community Shelter was providing, Huggins said that people were unreserved in showing their gratitude.

“It’s always a good feeling when people acknowledge what you’re doing for them. By and large, everybody is so grateful,” he said. “It makes me feel good.”

Comments

couranna1 4 years, 10 months ago

I would really dig free food I have to pay for mine where do I go

couranna1 4 years, 10 months ago

no comments on the new shelter lawrence you are truly pathetic

couranna1 4 years, 10 months ago

but dalberg had to keep his weight around 350 on a 5'8 frame You people have to donate big for that

couranna1 4 years, 10 months ago

funny they start out by saying we gave them free food What about programs to help That is where the salvation army failed the case workers and staff were not there to help and when someone like me tried was chastised for it like buying formula and diapers for a baby If you are just going to provide a place to crash then drop it aint worth the cash Helping is cool with programs to get folks on their feet The salvation army cult was never about that they wanted cash your cash

couranna1 4 years, 10 months ago

the man she slandered passed away today Wondered if they feel like they should have at least apoligized

couranna1 4 years, 10 months ago

2 June 2009 at 7:09 p.m.

Suggest removal

Permalink couranna1 (Anonymous) says…

Again due to health issues when I moved back to Lawrence I moved into the shelter as I could only work part time while dealing with the health issues Liz Coleman the then manager who I had worked for previously submitted her resignation over comments she made that were slanderous against a resident. The dalbergs accepted this as she had me proofread it first. She is still there but in a different capacity after I was personnally told she would be gone. They ended up with no staff to work the shelter and I was asked to do it which I accepted but had no idea I would be the only one running it. I worked the shelter from 5pm til 8am 7 days a week for two months with the occasional 6 hrs off three times I believe. After a couple of weeks I asked the man who I was supposed to report to if I was going to be compensated and he said yes. They did not really even try to hire someone for awhile They had a free worker I mentioned it to Vivian Baars Director and she stated I should be paid for all I was doing. Well I only received a gift card which a majority of that went to get formula and diapers for a girl and her baby that were staying in the shelter. who they refused to help I asked for an application and it was denied to me by saying they do not hire residents which was a lie as they had one already Sherman Tolbert www.kasper.org who was not on the payroll but who used to brag “If I need something they buy it for me” dalbergs hired this man who stayed at the shelter til its closure and could still be there and another resident thus flaunting the hypocrisy of the cult. Subsequently I found a job again and asked for help to get a place They still refused and even denied me entering the one program that was in place to help people due to a good rental history. I complained and was banned from there curiously the night I was leaving anyway They are shady unethical people even firing the person who brought up that Liz Coleman was unethical in her dealing and slandering this resident do not trust what the dalbergs say they are liars she sent a message (susan dalberg) to a friend of mine and blamed the city for closing them down they are a cult and worse yet hypocrites