Archive for Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Motorcyclist in critical condition after Saturday accident on Sixth and Tennessee

June 2, 2009

A Lawrence motorcyclist is listed in critical condition at Kansas University Hospital from injuries he sustained in a Saturday afternoon accident near Sixth and Tennessee streets, a hospital spokesman said.

Peter Sander, 33, was driving east on Sixth Street when his motorcycle collided with a car driven by Vera Piersee, 70, Lawrence police said. The woman was attempting to make a left turn south from Sixth Street to Tennessee Street when she crossed the path of the motorcycle, police said.

Sander was flown by helicopter ambulance to KU Hospital in Kansas City, Kan. Witnesses said he was unresponsive at the scene.

Information on whether any citations were issued was not available from police Tuesday.

Comments

Stuart Evans 5 years, 8 months ago

There's a lot of talk about teenagers and cell phones being huge traffic hazards, but we don't put enough thought into the elderly. Maybe we should start requiring them to pass annual or bi-annual driving tests beyond a certain age. This should be a full driving test, not just a written one. I spent some time riding in the car with my dad (only mid-60's) recently, and it scared the hell out of me. I'm sure he's not the only bad driver out there.

MeAndFannieLou 5 years, 8 months ago

trinity 5 years, 8 months ago

my heart goes out to you, fellow rider. we have to ride as though we are invisible-because most of the time, we are.

Danimal 5 years, 8 months ago

In exchange for Social Security, seniors and retirees should give up their driving privileges.

majiktami 5 years, 8 months ago

We are all thinking and sending prayers out for you... sure hope you pull through this.

hwarangdo 5 years, 8 months ago

Motorcycles and left turning cars don't go well together, never have. Some drivers simply don't comprehend what they see - no matter what age.

A lot of motorcycle riders ARE seniors, so enough with the senior stuff. It would, however, be advisible for everyone over 60 to take a "senior driving course", be sure their eyes (and brains) are working normally (whatever that is) and have their driving skills checked every two years.

Meanwhile, everyone should be aware of motorcycles, bicycles and people ... and that means everyone. Young, middle, and seniors - that means anyone on a cell phone too! How many times have you seen someone on a cell phone totally oblivious to everything? There was a study done saying young people (18-20) on a cell phone have the reflex abilities of a 70-year-old ... enough said.

BrianR 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm glad to hear that he's alive. That motorcycle was a mess.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 8 months ago

It's certainly a fact that sooner or later, as we age, vision and reflexes will slow down enough to make us dangerous drivers. But it doesn't happen at the same rate for everybody, and not even every twenty-year-old has the vision and reflexes (and good sense) to be a good driver.

Everyone should be tested much more thoroughly and more often. Just judging by what I see on the streets every day, easily 20% of all drivers should have their licenses revoked or restricted (don't drive at night if you can't see.)

parlet 5 years, 8 months ago

MeAndFannieLou: "Raise the minimum driving age and set a maximum driving age, then sit back and see how quickly we gett affordable, efficient public transportation!"

Think you've got something there. After three wrecks at age 77, I had to take my grandfather's license and keys from him. It wasn't easy, but it was necessary.

gsxr600 5 years, 8 months ago

Best wishes to a fellow fallen rider. People often don't see me when I ride because they aren't looking for a motorcycle. People also don't notice me in my 4 door 3000lb sedan either when I'm driving in it. People out there, regardless of age need to wise up and get more responsible out there!

I think people have become more careless in their driving to some part because traffic laws are not enforced as strictly as they used to be. Four years ago I was told that LPD on a typical day has about 12 officers on duty on patrol. 2 of these are set as traffic enforcers. So 2 cops out of about what, 1,000 cars within the city limits at a time? That's not going to do it. Too often do I witness citizens and police officers blow through stop lights/signs. Too often do I see people blatantly disobey speed limits. And unfortunately I'm afraid this careless driving will only become worse.

And also, while I'm on a rant, what's up with the city streets? Am I the only one that's noticed the streets get much worse after the the so called "maintenance" of major roads? You know, that oil crap they put down to seal up growing cracks. I lose traction on that stuff all the time. It's terrible, and it's already getting torn up after one rain storm... Fix the damn streets city of Lawrence. *%&&%%

I think I'll just keep my bike on the track, away from you people.

vonruck 5 years, 8 months ago

yeah, i saw this wreck right as the ambulances were arriving, it was a mess. i'm glad to hear he's even alive now though, i thought i was seeing a body. Prayers go out to this man and his family.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

Hope the motorcyclist recovers, this had to be very serious injuries.

yes, on the original thread for this story, Iposted the need for mandatory driving tests for everybody over 65! my mother is somewhere north of 70 [she never will confirm her actual age], and some of what she tells me wish I could physically stop her from driving, but I can't.

if a 70-year-old persists in driving though doctor or family has told her not to, she hits someone as in this article, can she be charged with something...wreckless endangerment?

password 5 years, 8 months ago

why should age matter? People of all ages are in car accidents all the time. How about driving tests for all ages every year or two? Some friends of mine and other persons that I have talked to don't even know about the new driving laws that were recently passed.

luvtocamp 5 years, 8 months ago

Maybe it was not the 70 year olds fault. Motorcycle drivers drive like they own the road. They are small and can move around fast and that is just what half of them do. I hate it when they tailgate me. AND why are they allowed to be so loud? I cant drive my car with open headers! Something is wrong with that.

mrbig 5 years, 8 months ago

My heart goes out to this family. I agree that there needs to be more testing of the elderly. Half the time I see them driving around with their heads almost below the steering wheel..lol. I constantly worry about my husband riding on his motorcycle- and not because of his driving...because of all the morons driving out there who don't open their eyes while driving.

introversion 5 years, 8 months ago

I think we should require elderly drivers to pass motorcycle license tests.

Seriously though, I hope all are ok.

SusieCreamcheeze 5 years, 8 months ago

Didn't a 21 year old kill an older gent when he was walking on the SIDWALK just a few weeks ago? I can't wait till all of you hit 60...see if they can get your car away from you.

Brian Conrad 5 years, 8 months ago

rode for many years, after 3 very close calls and many friends killed just had to stop. prayers for fellow bikers. the real bad fact for bikers. 2 kinds.. those who have wrecked, and those that will. careful out there.

BrianR 5 years, 8 months ago

"2 kinds.. those who have wrecked, and those that will."

I've heard this before. It's not true but it keeps getting said by people.

ralphralph 5 years, 8 months ago

Darn kids! They need to raise the driving age to 71!

Steve Jacob 5 years, 8 months ago

That intersection can be very complicated during busy times. And how many times do you see cars in one lane stop to let someone make a left turn, not being able to see what the other lane is doing?

triplegoddess13 5 years, 8 months ago

Just a thought . . . couldn't this accident have been avoided if both engine powered contraptions had stayed in their appropriate lanes as they were both turning south onto Tennessee? That's just something that everyone should do AND it would help traffic flow better at that intersection.

woxy 5 years, 8 months ago

if a 70-year-old persists in driving though doctor or family has told her not to, she hits someone as in this article, can she be charged with something…wreckless endangerment?<<

Well, it wouldn't be wreck-less, since there would be a wreck involved. Maybe reckless, though.

jimmibling 5 years, 8 months ago

People need to think about saftey and others, And not just being in a hurry and first all the time. You can relax and get anywhere in this town in 15 to 20 minutes. Don't turn blind to cross two lanes of traffic. The sign at the intersection that says don't block should be removed and the intersection should be updated with syncronized lights. I am there 3 times a day at rush hur and I hear screeching tires there every day.