Archive for Friday, July 31, 2009

Fools collide

The Cambridge incident is yet another case of poor behavior and media overkill.

July 31, 2009

So far the only person who looks free of questionable actions in the Cambridge, Mass., hassle with Henry Louis Gates Jr., Sgt. James Crowley and President Obama is the woman who dialed 911 to report a possible break-in at the Gates home. Her name is Lucia Whalen, 40. She was walking to lunch in Gates’ Cambridge neighborhood near Harvard University when an elderly woman without a cell phone stopped her because she thought there was a possible burglary in progress.

Whalen was unfairly charged as a racist on blogs after a police report said she described the possible burglars as “two black males with backpacks.” Whalen did not initially mention race, tapes prove, though she indicated — when questioned by a police dispatcher — that one of the men might have been Hispanic.

Officer Crowley reached the scene, performed as he should but eventually engaged in a verbal exchange with Gates, a black Harvard scholar. The latter had returned from a trip and had to jimmy his door to gain entrance to his home, triggering the misunderstanding. Gates was arrested for disorderly conduct in his own home by the white officer, leading to a national furor, badly overplayed about racial profiling and police conduct.

During a news conference, Obama was asked about the matter and leaped before he looked, indicating stupidity on the part of the police officer. Truth is, actions in this case are likely to be debated for years: The officer for handling the matter as he did, the professor for overreacting and the president for using a reference to stupidity in his assessment of something he should stayed out of.

We have seen incredible overkill in media coverage of late in matters such as the death of entertainer Michael Jackson, and we have to shudder at the way marginal issues are needlessly repeated and distorted. The Crowley-Gates-Obama matter is still another example of the papparazzi mentality that engulfs so many in the “media” these days.

The sooner this overhyped event is brushed into the background the better. We can only hope we’ve learned a lesson about perspective, but the evidence in this age of electronic instancy and the immediacy of presumed guilt is that we probably haven’t.

Comments

jaywalker 4 years, 8 months ago

Now that's something I can agree on with Katara 100%.

Pilgrim2 4 years, 8 months ago

gogoplata (Anonymous) says…

Oh brother. Spare us the bs.

Physician, heal thyself.

gogoplata 4 years, 8 months ago

Oh brother. Spare us the bs.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

wordgenie8 4 years, 8 months ago

Likely a certain amount of media grandstanding did go down, but the issues involved merit serious discussion in public debate forums. I think profiling and police conduct and race relations and civil rights were refracted in interesting ways through the circumstances of Gates's arrest and that a lot of people probably benefited and learned a lot from discussing and mulling over this story.

Katara 4 years, 8 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says… Venom (Anonymous) says…

Irish says ” I love my daughter and my granddaughter and am not going to stop because of their color.”

Irish you make my point perfectly peeps like you, the media, etc. are always pointing out the someone is “black” they can't just be another person, a face in the crowd. Just because one is of color doesn't grant them any special treatment. No matter what the past history of this country is. You like to let everyone know that you have black famliy memebers and thats great I'm glad but enough is enough. You do more harm than good, will they ever just be your daugther and granddaughter or will you always present them as your colored daugther and granddaughter.”

Marion writes:

Venom, I'm going to have to take issue and High Olde Umbrage with you on this one.

Any child of mine is “MY” child and that is all anyone needs to know.

You wanna take issue with the skin colour of “MY” child, well, we can go out into the parking lot, in which place you will be taught the error of your ways.

Repeatedly, until you get the idea. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ No, Venom is right.

Irish herself does not seem to be able to see her child as just her child. Rather, when she posts about her family members, it is her black child or her black granddaughter. She always emphasizes their race.

It almost feels like she is holding her mixed race child out as a badge as proof as how she is not racist. To me, this negates her child as a person. It is putting her child into a category without thought to the person that her child is. Classifying an individual by just their race is dehumanizing and basically that is what Irish (unintentionally) is doing.

There is nothing wrong with discussing race to help foster understanding but when that is the only descriptor you can use for a person, you are adding to the division, not helping close it.

beatrice 4 years, 8 months ago

What? Michael Jackson died?! When the heck did this happen???

So far the only person who looks free of questionable actions in the Cambridge, Mass., hassle with Henry Louis Gates Jr., Sgt. James Crowley and President Obama is the woman who dialed 911 to report a possible break-in at the Gates home."

So Dolph says that the only person free of questionable action is the person who made the call -- and I agree. However, why doesn't he make that point in his opening sentence? The cop was in the wrong too. Bad actions all the way around.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 8 months ago

Venom (Anonymous) says…

Irish you make my point perfectly peeps like you, the media, etc. are always pointing out the someone is “black” they can't just be another person, a face in the crowd. Just because one is of color doesn't grant them any special treatment. No matter what the past history of this country is. You like to let everyone know that you have black famliy memebers and thats great I'm glad but enough is enough. You do more harm than good, will they ever just be your daugther and granddaughter or will you always present them as your colored daugther and granddaughter."

Marion writes:

Any child of mine is "MY" child and that is all anyone needs to know.

You wanna take issue with the skin colour of "MY" child, well, we can go out into the parking lot, in which place you will be taught the error of your ways.

Repeatedly, until you get the idea.

Venom 4 years, 8 months ago

Irish says " I love my daughter and my granddaughter and am not going to stop because of their color."

Irish you make my point perfectly peeps like you, the media, etc. are always pointing out the someone is "black" they can't just be another person, a face in the crowd. Just because one is of color doesn't grant them any special treatment. No matter what the past history of this country is. You like to let everyone know that you have black famliy memebers and thats great I'm glad but enough is enough. You do more harm than good, will they ever just be your daugther and granddaughter or will you always present them as your colored daugther and granddaughter.

Pilgrim2 4 years, 8 months ago

Irish (Irish Swearingen) says…

They ask you to step outside so they are removed from the possibility of a hidden weapon being produced. The police have no idea if you have a knife or a gun hidden in the drawer of that foyer table. They take you outside so the only thing they have to worry about is you. It is for their own safety, and they have every right to make that a very high priority. The fact you obviously don't think so shows how little regard you have for the men and women who put their lives at risk every day in order to protect you and your property, and that attitude is patently pathetic.

Pilgrim2 4 years, 8 months ago

Irish (Irish Swearingen) says…

Yeah, and the fact it is Gates who walked away is the sickening part.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 8 months ago

If attitude could get you arrested there would be no posters on the Journal World. We would all be in jail. I can't let it go, I have to live with it, and deal with it. I love my daughter and my granddaughter and am not going to stop because of their color.

farfle 4 years, 8 months ago

There are too many people who owe their livelihoods to the fact that many blacks have a victim mentality. Gates is one of them and this was just an opportunity to perpetuate that mentality. These people are not doing the black community any favors by perpetuatring the myth of black-as-victim.

gogoplata 4 years, 8 months ago

(I don't really care about Hollywood's examples, because they are fictitious…let's stick to reality here boys…we're generating more heat than light!)

The reality is that the piss poor attitued on display in the fictitious story I posted is a problem for real cops. Come on now this isn't rocket science.

Jersey_Girl 4 years, 8 months ago

md, just FYI, the driver had already left by the time Crowley left; Gates was the only one in the house.

sin - while we only have Crowley's word that Gates provided 1 form of ID, we only have Gates' word that he provided 2. Yes, press everywhere was quick to pick up on Gates' claim. Doesn't make it true. And it's 5 on Friday, so I'm not even going to try to figure out where I read it, but I did read that a black officer on scene felt that Crowley acted correctly.

GardenMomma 4 years, 8 months ago

Whoops!~ I did mean to address Mister Kealing, not Mt. Kealing. So sorry Jonathan Kealing.

tigerman03 4 years, 8 months ago

Why do we keep going round and round on this guys? I do agree that there are both good and bad cops out there. (I don't really care about Hollywood's examples, because they are fictitious...let's stick to reality here boys...we're generating more heat than light!)

The facts are that we'll never really know what happened because this case never made it to court. What we do know is that both sides have agreed to disagree. One side claiming racial profiling, the other "was just doing their job." Unfortunately, the president made a local problem into an "international incident" by taking a side and started a firestorm that probably wouldn't have been anything if he would have left it alone.

Gentlemen, I believe that all of us have some sort of valid point and I think that we should do as Gates and Crowley did: shake hands and agree to disagree.

GardenMomma 4 years, 8 months ago

Mt. Kealing, please re-read the first sentence in the article and fix it. Thanks.

"A police officer property answered a call about a possible break-in, the suspected intruder, handled the incident poorly and the president of the United States got involved in something he should have left alone."

I think the word should be "properly" not "property."

sinverguenza 4 years, 8 months ago

So tigerman - what exactly do you say when you disagree but "don't argue"?

Why, thank you officer, that's mighty fine of you sir. Gee, officer, I sure do think you're doing a great job, sir. My, officer, these handcuffs are wonderful, sir. I sure do appreciate what you're doing officer; you've really made my day, sir.

Somehow I don't think that's how I want to exercise my right to free speech. Nor do I think it will get my point across to the offending officer - but I guess that just depends on how well versed in condescension he is.

As a cop, you should have your little "attitude test" so you know when to appropriately make an arrest but more importantly - you should be fully aware of the laws you're enforcing. The "attitude test" doesn't really hold up when the precedent of the law states something different.

And why on Earth should anyone have to pay for an attorney to have bogus charges brought against them dropped? It happens, clearly, but that doesn't mean it should. Police officers should know the law and enforce it properly.

gogoplata 4 years, 8 months ago

You must have not seen the movie then. It is not about an evil cop going postal. The reason a hollywood fictional move is worth watching is because it does a good job of demonstating the "respect my authoritah" attitude that way to many cops have.

As far as experience goes, I have been pulled over by a Kansas Highway patrolman because I passed him and told me point blank that by passing him I was being disrespectful and that was the reason he pulled me over. I had the cruise control set on 75. How in the world is passing a cop doing 70 on the turnpike disrespectful?

Another time I honked at a cop who was backing up toward me because it was clear that he was going to hit me. The guy gets out of his car and yells at me for not giving him room to do his job.

I know there are a lot of good cops who respect people and in turn I respect them as people not because they are cops. It is the ones who have no respect for the people that pay thier salaries that we could do without.

sinverguenza 4 years, 8 months ago

Oh, and even if Gates didn't provide a second ID, Crowley still had proof that Gates was the lawful resident - because he called the University police and confirmed it after receiving the first ID.

Crowley should have walked away at that point, regardless of whether Gates was yelling after him.

tigerman03 4 years, 8 months ago

sinverguenza, I never said sit silently. I stated don't argue. Pass the attitude test. BIG difference. If you do, you make it worse. That's what attorneys are for.

Gogoplata: As far as experience with cops are concerned, I really don't think that Hollywood fictional movies like First Blood(?) ["evil cop going postal"] are very good examples of real life law enforcement officers. I am speaking from 15 years experience working WITH police officers. Thanks mdfraz for making my points for me from my earlier post!

sinverguenza 4 years, 8 months ago

mdfraz -

I'm sorry you didn't follow, but the link I provided was for smitty - who was taking crap from other posters who were trying to imply that cops don't ever fabricate reports. My link has nothing to do with the Gates case. Terribly sorry you couldn't follow that.

I don't have a problem with every cop out there. And again, Gates acted like a jerk, and if he'd kept his mouth shut, none of this would have happened.

My problem is with the idea that we're supposed to sit pretty and not talk back to cops regardless of the situation. That's BS, and one of the many, many reasons I value the 1st Amendment so much.

Just like when you get pulled over and the cop asks, "Where are you headed?" My gut reaction is to say, "That's none of your business" because it's not any of their business and they have no right to know. Now, if you do say that, you're probably getting a ticket. But I'll gladly take that ticket.

Protect and serve means just that - protect and serve. Just because someone has a problem with the fact that oftentimes that's not what's going on doesn't mean you shouldn't call the police and hope for the best in your time of need. That's what we're paying them for, isn't it?

mdfraz 4 years, 8 months ago

SINverguenza-

So you want to rely solely on reports repeated over and over from PEOPLE WHO WEREN'T THERE. VERY persuasive. I looked quickly at your link above; are you really trying to say that the officers in Cambridge OBVIOUSLY lied about their report simply because you provide a link (which I don't have time to watch at the moment) of OTHER cops in ANOTHER case might have lied? That's your persuasive evidence? Give me a break. Are cops infalliable? No. Do they make mistakes? Yes. Are there some dishonest cops out there? Yes. Your argument is still terribly weak.

If you even choose to believe Mr. Gates account of what happened, you are completely ignoring the other half of the scene. If you do that, again, your arguments are completely unpersuasive. I did happen to see an article on your link where Gates stated that it was incumbent upon the officer to basically defend himself because of racial profiling concerns. Wow. Who was the one playing the race card here? Not the cops. And keep in mind, a black officer at the scene backed his colleague's actions.

I'll do the research on Mass. law when I have a few minutes, sin. Yelling at an officer is not enough, you are probably right. But I'll wait with further comment until I read the entire statute.

As with the previous poster I noted in one of my earlier comments, if you have such a problem with every single police officer out there, I truly hope you don't entertain the thought of calling them if you are the victim of a crime or involved in some other dangerous situation.

gogoplata 4 years, 8 months ago

I disagree, if a cop is being an Ahole, I say argue with him.

"Why are you pushing me?" "What did you say?" "I said why are you pushing me, I haven't done anything."

"There wouldn't be any trouble if it wasn't for that king $h** cop, all I wanted was something to eat, but the man kept pushing sir." "You did some pushing of your own John." "They drew first blood not me."

If you have not seen the movie First Blood you should watch it. The movie does a great job of highlighting the attitude held by more than a few cops on duty today in this country. This should be unacceptable to all freedom loving americans. Good cops respect individual rights that are guaranteed by the constitution they swore to uphold.

sinverguenza 4 years, 8 months ago

tigerman03 -

Look up Commonwealth v. Lopiano and Commonwealth v. Mallahan.

It's sad that you think we live in a world where we're supposed to sit silently even when we think we're being treated unjustly, just because the person treating us that way has a badge and a gun.

As I said in my first post, Gates acted like a jerk. What's in question is whether that's illegal, and clearly, it is not. Otherwise I'd have quite a few names to turn over myself.

demonfury 4 years, 8 months ago

This whole situation is a joke. An absolute joke. The beer meeting was nothing more than Obama trying to save face because he ran off at the mouth, as racists do, without the whole story. Plain and simple....... Oh, and it's nice to know that the commander in chief drinks on the job.

tigerman03 4 years, 8 months ago

Sinverguenza, the charges were not dropped because of the reason you provided, it had to do with the POLITICAL (ahem NAACP, highly placed political figures, and their fellow race-baiting thugs) interference with the case. Gates would not have gotten off if he were just an 'average Joe' doing what he did. With all the credible witnesses and corraborating evidence-- Gates wouldn't stand a chance in court.

Point being: DON'T ARGUE WITH THE COPS. Gates' mistake was that he copped an attitude where it wasn't necessary. He should have THANKED the cops for attempting to PROTECT his house and property instead of making an uncivilized FOOL out of himself. He is SUPPOSED to be educated and not of the 'hood. HE KNOWS BETTER, yet he CHOSE to take the actions that he did and should have PAID the price for it by accepting his role in escalating the situation AND failed the ATTITUDE TEST.

sinverguenza 4 years, 8 months ago

puddleglum -

I'm citing a source and providing information. I believe the TOS points on not posting links refers to not promoting your own crap. It probably is meant to prevent people from getting free advertising or something to that effect. I didn't see any language in the TOS saying you couldn't provide a link all together.

Kealing can correct me if I'm wrong, but people provide links to youtube, icanhazcheezburger, nytimes, and a plethora of other sites all the time.

couranna1 4 years, 8 months ago

racial profiling pure and simple

sinverguenza 4 years, 8 months ago

Why, the information has been provided and repeated over and over and over again, mdfraz. I suggest you google it. Everywhere except the police report, conveniently.

Stinks of something, doesn't it smitty?

And mdfraz - that's SINverguenza to you. Under Massachusetts law, yelling at a police officer, even during an arrest, is not illegal. Hence, the frivolous charges being dropped. But I bet you didn't know that either because it's easier to assume others are assuming rather than to do a little research on your own.

puddleglum 4 years, 8 months ago

so why does sinvergeraza get to post a link on his comment, but marioni can't? I don't understand.

mdfraz 4 years, 8 months ago

At what point did the esteemed Mr. Gates provide TWO forms of ID, verguenza? Where are you getting YOUR information?

Practicality 4 years, 8 months ago

lol,

nice ending on your post Jaywalker. Very clever.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

Jonathan, you're a brave one, clicking one of bub's links.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 8 months ago

Criminal Law/Lawyer Source says: Disorderly conduct is one of the most common offenses in the United States, and is often the result of unreasonable police officers giving someone a hard time until they lose their cool.

I would never call the police on something as specious as this. "I am looking at someone at at house, maybe they are trying to break in, maybe they are having trouble with their key, maybe they are drunk and at the wrong house. I don't know. Why am I calling? I don't know." I know this is not the actual call but it might as well have been. Apart from the utter stupidity it took police away from crimes that were being committed at that time. So, I guess if you were in a gang, you could have someone out front getting "uppity" with the police while the rest are taking everything out the back door. Cool.

sinverguenza 4 years, 8 months ago

The best way to avoid this kind of situation (or any involving LE) is to know your rights. Even then, the police have more power than you. What we really should be debating as a result of this incident is what constitutes "disorderly conduct" and whether the police should really be allowed to arrest you for such in your own home (or ask you to step outside so they can do so).

Gates provided ID, two forms, in fact, so I'm not really sure where all you police apologists are getting your info. Regardless of what Gates had to say about his momma, Crowley's job was finished after he made sure there wasn't a crime in progress. He should have walked away.

The charges being dropped speaks a lot to their validity, don't you think?

Regardless, Gates was an a** (not a crime), Crowley was a man with too much pride and too much power (also not a crime) and they've had their crappy beers (have to side with Crowley on that one, for sure) and it's over.

smitty may be a bit gung-ho, but he's right about how police reports often get written up.

Did you see this smitty?

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 8 months ago

snap-- It just links to our own site, via domain forward, so it's not a TOS violation. Otherwise, you would be correct.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

get

disappeareded

for

that

?

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm just glad the good professor and our Anointed Saviour were able to put on display for the whole world their dislike for whites.

tigerman03 4 years, 8 months ago

Irish: Who cares as to how the woman 'acted' when she phoned in the burglary? That is nonsense! Wouldn't YOU want your neighbors to call the police if someone broke into your house?

Apparently you've taken your cue from Obama and placed your loafer in your mouth too because you don't have the facts BEFORE making any statements. All the other officers, one of which was BLACK BTW, [Sgt. Lashley], who were on scene stated emphatically that Sgt. Crowley was JUSTIFIED in his actions in arresting Dr. Gates.

NEWS FLASH: He wasn't arrested for burglary nor breaking and entering, it was disorderly conduct. (aka mouthing off to a cop!) Have you ever heard of the "Attitude Test" when dealing with the police Irish? It means COOPERATING with them and being respectful. Gates apparently FAILED it. I dare you to act like him the next time you get pulled over...

BTW: The only reason that Gates got off is BECAUSE of his race baiting mobster buddies applied pressure in the right places. He should have taken responsability for his actions and apologize for his UNCIVILIZED behavior.

jaywalker 4 years, 8 months ago

"I think the woman who called in was acting stupidly."

Being a good samaritan is just plain stupid.

"An elderly woman stopped her to tell her about it."

The elderly can't be trusted.

"So, did the caller actually see anything or just repeat what the elderly woman said?"

In a perfect world the dialogue should have been........

"Please help! I think one of our neighbors may be getting robbed but I don't have a phone to call the police!"
"Sorry, I didn't see anything, so NO! Besides, you're old."

"The officer was wrong, he should not have asked the professor to step out on the porch."

'Cuz that's cruel and unusual. Nobody should have to step onto a porch. They should be allowed to shout racial epithets in the police' face in the privacy of their own kitchen.

"Police should not get away with this kind of behavior."

Responding to 911 calls is not what police are supposed to do.

"A man was treated like dirt and the man who did it is going to walk away with a swagger and do it again."

He's not swaggering, it's the cane.

farfle 4 years, 8 months ago

The mainstream media is just obliging Obama. He thinks it's part of his job as President to determine the "teachable moments" that we need.

Bowhunter99 4 years, 8 months ago

Irish... you're so wrong in so many levels....

A concerned elderly woman asked another citizen to call the police due to an out-of-ordinary event. <-- Would you not want some pedestrian to do the same if he/she sees someone breaking into the house? (Yes, forcing yourself into your own home is considered breaking into your house if the person doesn't know you).

A person calls to report the activity. She's clearly not using racial profiling and even says she doesn't know a crime occured. <-- Nothing wrong with that behavior.

A police officer shows up and does his job which is to understand the situation and verify information provided. Asking to step out on the porch allows everyone to be safer... The officer didn't know who/what else could be inside. An officer at ease IS A LOT nicer. Let the officer realize he's not in danger. It's a tough job.

A man decided to play the race card and made comments about the officer's mother. Since he's a scholar and evidently knows about the subject, that clearly shows he was acting that way on purpose. Had he been some dirtbag uneducated moron I would have given the benefit of the doubt on his behavior... the so called 'scholar'? Nope.... he was acting stupidly and got arrested for it.

mdfraz 4 years, 8 months ago

Why am I not surprised at your comments, Irish? I wasn't there, so I don't know every minor detail. My understanding, which is possibly different than yours, is that the officers responded to a burglary call, found two men in the house, asked for ID, were refused in their extremely reasonable and responsible request, and it escalated from there. From my understanding, and again, I wasn't there, the police didn't ask Gates to come to the porch. Even if they did, what is wrong with that "kind of behavior"? Is it racist to ask someone to step out onto a porch?

Let's say someone had actually broken into Gates' home and the cops arrived. If they did the same thing, and an actual burglar refused to provide ID, what would you have the police do? If they left without confirming that the person was supposed to be in the house, my guess is that you would have claimed that those bad old racist cops let a burglar roam free in a black man's house.

And are you saying if someone saw or had some reason to believe that your house might be broken into, you DON'T want them to call the police? Seriously?

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 8 months ago

I think the woman who called in was acting stupidly. An elderly woman stopped her to tell her about it. So, did the caller actually see anything or just repeat what the elderly woman said? The officer was wrong, he should not have asked the professor to step out on the porch. Police should not get away with this kind of behavior. A man was treated like dirt and the man who did it is going to walk away with a swagger and do it again.

mdfraz 4 years, 8 months ago

Smitty, you have GOT to be kidding.........so you think the cops, called to a potential burglary in progress, upon finding two men in the house (who had jimmied a door to gain access) were out of line for asking to see some identification? Had they not, and there had been a real burglar in the house, you would have crucified them for that too. I'm sure you were in the house so you KNOW that the officer's report distorted the "facts", right?

Let's hope that when your house is being broken into or you are being robbed that you stick to your guns and don't call the cops. Don't let the man keep you down, brother!!!!

Marion Lynn 4 years, 8 months ago

For those of who are not clear on the subject matter, you can go here for greater understanding:

obamadrinkingteam.net

Andrew Stahmer 4 years, 8 months ago

....yet another example of our idiot president making another stupid mistake. Will the next one be next week, or can he hold it off for a couple; we know (as sure as the sun rises in the east) another one is coming! (Nof 'if' but how soon!)

= Right-Wing Conservative Fundimentalist Christian =

tigerman03 4 years, 8 months ago

I wonder how good Obama's golden loafer's tasted with the beer?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

Somebody is pummeling their favorite deceased equine this morning.

smitty 4 years, 8 months ago

The arrest and subsequent posting of the police report demonstrates without a doubt how LE is taught to write reports and do so in such a way that rewrites the FACTS.

An officer's version of the truth on any report is taken as accurate/truthful in a court of law but was just proven to be hyped to justify the reporting officer's POV. All of us are subject to that abuse of authority if and when LE is called to assist.

To think that there is so much credence given to LE just because they said it was so. Can't help but wonder how long before the media and society will "get it"? Meanwhile the abuse of authority continues.

avoice 4 years, 8 months ago

And in what way does writing yet another op ed on the subject help to brush this overhyped event into the background?

cato_the_elder 4 years, 8 months ago

Brittany aside, ever since Barack threw out the first pitch at the All-Star Game, a number of observers have wondered whether he wears panties every week.

pace 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't need to hide from thinking and talking about the event. It brought several issues and attitudes to the surface that are the better for the airing. We learn no lesson if we avoid hearing the text from many different sides. My opinion is no one is dead, all are alive and kicking and the president, the janitor, the neighbor, all can chime in. I am better informed by hearing candid statements. I do think the shining star is the woman who called 911. If you need to brush it aside, then do so. It is certainly more interesting to me than if Brittany is wearing panties this week.