Archive for Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Amarr Garage Doors hires 23 employees for new production line

Manufacturer had conducted layoffs less than a year ago

July 29, 2009, 8:13 a.m. Updated July 29, 2009, 12:04 p.m.

Amarr hires 23 new workers

A new production line means jobs for more than 20 new workers at an east Lawrence business. Enlarge video

Amarr Garage Doors cranked up a new production line at its Lawrence plant this week, putting another 23 employees to work in the East Hills Business Park.

The hirings came after Amarr had laid off 100 employees in December and February. In April, the company rehired 30 of its laid-off employees, responding to a seasonal uptick in demand.

The latest hirings — some brought back from layoff, with others new to Amarr — joined the payroll by the end of June, in time to learn how to run a production line that makes insulated garage doors. The doors are designed to be used in residential, commercial and institutional projects in cold climates.

“Amarr is weathering the downturn in the economy because of our business decisions, including the streamlining of our distribution and supply chain strategy,” said Kirsten Krug, Amarr’s director of people and training. “Lawrence is Amarr’s main production facility, so it makes sense to centralize production here when possible.”

Amarr, based Winston-Salem, N.C., also has a manufacturing center in Mocksville, N.C.

The Lawrence plant, which spans more than 400,000 square feet, now has nearly 500 employees. The company still has positions open on both shifts — 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., and 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. — in production and customer service.

Comments

mdrndgtl 5 years, 4 months ago

This is the life of a garage door builder.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 4 months ago

That is good news for the individuals and their families who were laid off initially. I hope this is a sign of economic recovery.

countrygirl 5 years, 4 months ago

So are we going to be making as big a fuss over the hirings as the layoffs? Most jobs have cycles--slow times and busy times. It stands to reason that they hire more during the busy and then lay off when it gets slower.

alm77 5 years, 4 months ago

YaY!! While I'm not directly effected, I'm glad to hear it!!

puddleglum 5 years, 4 months ago

fire 100 and hire back 25? good news for the 25-for now at least.

thankyou lawrence shoppers. nothing says "we don't want you" like not shopping there.

MrShades 5 years, 4 months ago

The garage door business has always been up and down. ;-)

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 4 months ago

puddle, the article says 30 of the 100 were rehired back in April. I'm sure those 53 people are glad to have their jobs back. Some of the others may have found other jobs by now. I notice Amarr is running ad for material handler in the LJW.

alm77 5 years, 4 months ago

"I hear 6th st Walmart is struggling and recently layed off the 4th round of employees..er-associates last week" Really? Wow. As much as I protested the new Walmart, I was not expecting that.

bankboy119 5 years, 4 months ago

I hope the new Wal-Mart continues to fail. Get it out. One's more than enough.

phaederino 5 years, 4 months ago

"I hope the new Wal-Mart continues to fail."

That Wal Mart's failure will result in unemployment.

vegetablegirl 5 years, 4 months ago

Good for Amarr! Nice to see....haven't heard of any other big employers adding jobs, so this is REALLY good news for our community.

goodcitizen 5 years, 4 months ago

I hadn't heard that about the new Walmart, but if true, then Good! Vote with your feet people! Maybe if it closes we could make it into a Rec center--the parking is ample.

christie 5 years, 4 months ago

Let's see now... the June Housing Report states new home sales up after 8 years of decline, Stock Market closed the highest quarter in years, local businesses are hiring...

Could it be ??

A Black Man as President - Democrat no less - Economy turning around...

Fact: Obama carried 78 of the 100 counties with the highest education. McCain carried 88 of the 100 counties with the lowest education.

Say Goodbye to the Gone Old Party. Keyword ( OLD )

maxcrabb 5 years, 4 months ago

christie, I admire your optimism, but I think you're digging a little deep there.

(but I secretly hope you are right)