Archive for Thursday, July 23, 2009

Man pleads guilty in Burrito King assault

A Lawrence man entered a guilty plea in connection with an altercation earlier this year outside Burrito King.

July 23, 2009

Stephen Patterson

Stephen Patterson

A 21-year-old Lawrence man arrested for punching a person and firing a gun outside a Lawrence restaurant pleaded guilty Wednesday to aggravated assault and battery charges, Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson’s office said.

Stephen Patterson was accused of punching a 21-year-old Kansas University student in the face, pulling a handgun on another person and then firing a round into the air.

The incident occurred April 19 in the drive-through lane of Burrito King, 900 Ill., after Patterson rear-ended a car whose occupants were ordering food, prosecutors said.

Depending on his criminal history, he faces between seven and 23 months in prison and up to six months in jail.

The man also pleaded to a July 2008 possession of cocaine charge, in which he faces between 10 months and two years in prison, prosecutors said.

Sentencing is set for Sept. 3.

Comments

zissou 6 years, 1 month ago

Burrito King is classified as a restaurant?

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

Attacked the King? Has he been brought up on charges of treason?

He should look at the bright side -- because of that profile shot he can now see how really stupid that long, skinny side-burn thing actually looks.

zettapixel 6 years, 1 month ago

Beatrice... I believe the technical name for the long, skinny side-burn thing is a "douchestache"

Jersey_Girl 6 years, 1 month ago

beatrice - I thought it was just his expression that made him look that way.

soldier1 6 years, 1 month ago

defenestrator (Anonymous) says…

What? He didn't get a DUI? You've got to be really drunk in order to eat that food.

LMAO

jeffds01 6 years, 1 month ago

I second zissouo ! and snap crackle pop!

still laughing

Marc Mondi 6 years, 1 month ago

This dude looks like a true winner... nice whisker string and neck tat. He'll go far some day!

labmonkey 6 years, 1 month ago

How dare he assult the Burrito King. What's next, the Burger King? Someone must stop him before he commits another attempted fast food regicide.

mdrndgtl 6 years, 1 month ago

His sentence should be eating this garbage while sober.

beatrice 6 years, 1 month ago

His lawyer is attempting to get him out on bail, saying he was just acting under the orders of the Dairy Queen.

zetta, a "douchestache"? Funny. Is that what it is called on anyone or just this guy?

zettapixel 6 years, 1 month ago

Beatrice... it's the honest to goodness term for it. I thought I had made it up... and was giving myself praise for being so witty... but then I looked it up and it's already defined on Urban Dictionary!!!

BigPrune 6 years, 1 month ago

Did this guy play football at KU a few years ago? Oh, he's only 21? I guess not. I remember a KU football player getting stuck in the drivethru window of a Taco Bell because he was so irate they had forgotten his Chalupa.... http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2000/apr...

mrbig 6 years, 1 month ago

Burrito King is gross. The last time we went there they were incredibly rude, they didn't put cheese on ANYTHING- but charged us for extra cheese. They also charged us for 2 drinks, but only gave us one. The guy wouldn't ever come back to the window to fix our order.

From my experience- I think that they count on the only customers they get to be intoxicated!

phaederino 6 years, 1 month ago

Funny, I tried it again after they earned the health department seal of authenticity.

mouselynnd69 6 years, 1 month ago

This kid is not crazy, He is my nephew and he just fell in with the wrong crowd as MANY teens do these days. Hopefully this incarceration will help him straighten out. We love you Stepen, Goodluck kid!

HoneyDew 6 years, 1 month ago

Trust me, lol, he was WAY past due for jail time, I am not surprised at all. I went to Burrito King for the first time last month and was very dissappointed :(

jimmyjms 6 years, 1 month ago

Sorry, mouselynn, but I hope he gets the full term.

Douchebags like this are the reason Lawrence is getting sketchy.

blakec 6 years, 1 month ago

I don't believe he/she said his/her nephew was a good kid. Just not crazy. Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Jersey_Girl 6 years, 1 month ago

Sorry, mouse, 21 is too old to be blaming the "wrong crowd" for felonies committed. BTW, teenage years end after 19.

xfactor 6 years, 1 month ago

He is actually not a good kid. Ask around, that is if anyone who knows him isn't too scared to answer. Guns & drugs.