Archive for Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Scholar’s arrest raises profiling questions

July 21, 2009

— Police responding to a call about “two black males” breaking into a home near Harvard University ended up arresting the man who lives there — Henry Louis Gates Jr., the nation’s pre-eminent black scholar.

Gates had forced his way through the front door because it was jammed, his lawyer said. Colleagues call the arrest last Thursday afternoon a clear case of racial profiling.

Cambridge police say they responded to the well-maintained two-story home after a woman reported seeing “two black males with backpacks on the porch,” with one “wedging his shoulder into the door as if he was trying to force entry.”

By the time police arrived, Gates was already inside. Police say he refused to come outside to speak with an officer, who told him he was investigating a report of a break-in.

“Why, because I’m a black man in America?” Gates said, according to a police report.

Gates — the director of Harvard’s W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research — initially refused to show the officer his identification, but then gave him a Harvard University ID card, according to police.

“Gates continued to yell at me, accusing me of racial bias and continued to tell me that I had not heard the last of him,” the officer wrote.

He was arrested on a disorderly conduct charge after police said he “exhibited loud and tumultuous behavior.” He was released later that day on his own recognizance. An arraignment was scheduled for Aug. 26. Police refused to comment on the arrest Monday.

Gates, 58, also refused to speak publicly Monday, referring calls to his attorney, fellow Harvard scholar Charles Ogletree.

Ogletree said Gates gave the officer his driver’s license and Harvard identification after being asked to prove he was a Harvard professor and lived at the home, but became upset when the officer continued to question him.

“He was shocked to find himself being questioned and shocked that the conversation continued after he showed his identification,” Ogletree said.

Ogletree declined to say whether he believed the incident was racially motivated, saying “I think the incident speaks for itself.”

Some of Gates’ African-American colleagues say the arrest is part of a pattern of racial profiling in Cambridge.

Comments

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

Reminds me of the movie "Amos and Andrew", though it's not yet clear how much the police are at fault, if at all, from this article. Doesn't really sound like racial profiling at all, the police were merely responding to a break-in call. Makes me wonder what's up with the woman that called it in though, 'two young black men with backpacks'? Gates is a brilliant man, but I don't think he can be mistaken for 'young'.

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

I was referring to the description of the "two black males", Informed, though I now see it doesn't include 'young' in their description either. Might have heard that on CNN this morning or just assumed.

Tom Miller 5 years, 8 months ago

...seems to me an "assumption" may have been made by the person who called the police...and it surely was a neighbor of Gates' who placed the call...hmmm...didn't that person realize Mr. Gates was their neighbor? Again, hmmm...it ALL seems kinda hinky, but what do I know...yeah, seems like a clear case of racially-motivated profiling to me.

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like if he had just been calm and explained the situation rather than haring off on the two officers for race problems there would have been no problem, but that's just from this article. Guess that we'll see.

ebyrdstarr 5 years, 8 months ago

The CNN article has a few more details, including that Gates was returning from a trip. The second man was the driver. When Gates and the driver pulled up, they found the front door damaged. They unlocked the back door, then came back to try to get the front door open. So when police arrived, Gates was probably upset to find his home had been damaged while he was away. Then to have police accusing him of breaking into his own home would be another upsetting detail. Most importantly, he did show police the proof that he was a Harvard professor who lived at the home. But instead of offering to check out the man's damaged home to see if the house had been burgled, the officer arrested him for having an attitude.

Jonas, I guess I just don't think a man should be arrested for not being calm enough in explaining what he was doing in his own house.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 8 months ago

Jonas, I agree we probably don't know the whole story. However, perhaps it's the cumulative effect of being a victim of racial profiling that set him off. Black men, in particular, have been raised to not make waves and calmly cooperate when it happens. But, sort of like in the movie, Network, at some point a person may say, "I'm mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore".

I know a younger black male who drives a sports car and probably gets pulled over by police on a average of 10 a month. Driving left of center is the typical "probable cause" for getting pulled over. He's never actually ever ticketed for it but the police have an opportunity to run his driver's license. I know of a black psychiatrist in California who was pulled over because the officer thought the car was stolen. Why, because the officer said blacks don't drive Hondas.

My point is after a lifetime of such experiences, any of us might react similarly. Like the straw that broke the camel's back..

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

Oh, I grew up in Leawood, so I know all about profiling and pulling over black men. That was all the cops in Leawood did, that and pull over teenagers.

true_patriot 5 years, 8 months ago

If it were me, I would probably be out there talking with police and thanking them for their effort, but that's just my style and situation. I think the bigger point is that this man did not break the law, and had no legal obligation to go outside and speak with officers. Unless they have a search warrant or probable cause that he is committing a crime, he is within his rights to tell them to buzz off.

The fact that the owner of the home ends up getting legal charges filed against him indicates either the police in this case were inept at dealing constructively with people and responding appropriately to the situation, or there was a racial element, or both. The city should definitely drop the charges.

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

Never heard about the driver, maybe it was dark and the neighbor couldn't see clearly. I agree with jonas, it's always better to remain respectful and courteous to the police and looks like that's what got him in trouble this time. But Alia's point is valid as well, 'til you walk in another's shoes it's difficult to understand his position. I'm guessing he must have displayed significant belligerence to get run in after proving he lived there, but then again Boston is certainly not one of our more 'racially tolerant' cities. No matter the results of this, coupled with the Philly fiasco it won't be good for police across the country.

workinghard 5 years, 8 months ago

Boy, I've locked myself out many times and have had to break into my house through the windows on a very busy street. Nobody ever calls the police. But then I also get stuff stolen a lot, and my cars are broken into at least once a year. Guess my neighborhood isn't upscale enough.

mom_of_three 5 years, 8 months ago

I think it's a little odd that a neighbor called in the breakin as she couldn't recognize the man who lived at the house. Evidently, they aren't close neighbors, or she might have known he was out of town or maybe who he was.

supertrampofkansas 5 years, 8 months ago

While I do not like to criticize the police, I am somewhat baffled how a guy in his own home gets arrested especially after he produces an ID.

I read a more detailed article that says that the professor was actually on the phone when the officers arrived at the scene. I mean think about this. This is basically 60-year-old guy who is inside a house dressed in a polo shirt and slacks, carrying a cane and talking on the phone with the property's management company. The professor's lawyer is quoted from the article on msn as saying that Gates can barely breathe because of an infection he caught in China. Either those officers have to be complete idiots or they are guilty of racism. How menacing can an almost 60-year old man be to a group of police officers?

I also find it mind-boggling that this even going to go to court. How does the city justify spending tax-payer dollars to prosecute this guy in his own home for what essentially is a "bad attitude" charge.

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

That's true, logic, kinda reminiscent of the older woman who got tasered on her front porch after honking at the cops because they were blocking her driveway. Wasn't that in KC?
Makes me wonder how long 'til the police are wired or hooked up with cams on their person to monitor all incidents, not just in their cars.

BrianR 5 years, 8 months ago

It's about time the police put a stop to the tumultuous behavior crime wave. And loud too, god help us.

jafs 5 years, 8 months ago

Just a couple of thoughts.

Not being black, it's hard to understand what that would be like.

Still, I would think he could have acted differently with the police - for one thing, I'd have said something like "Glad you're here, it looks like someone tried to break into my house while I was gone - can I report that?"

Obviously, the police acted poorly as well.

gphawk89 5 years, 8 months ago

"refused to come outside to speak with an officer" "refused to show the officer his identification" "continued to yell at me" "exhibited loud and tumultuous behavior" "became upset when the officer continued to question him"

That kind of behavior can definitely get you arrested, depending on what mood the officer is in at the time. It shouldn't, but it does. It's got nothing to do with race.

imastinker 5 years, 8 months ago

The way I read the article he broke into the house (his own) and a neighbor saw him. The police show up and he gets angry and refuses to show ID. He gets arrested either for being belligerent or for breaking into the house (how do they know he lives there?).

I can only hope that if I were in the situation the neighbors would be noticing these things and the police would make sure that the robber doesn't claim to live there and get away with it. I can only hope that the man in my house can't claim that they are profiling and the police are afraid to pursue it any further.

daddax98 5 years, 8 months ago

Anonymous

Informed (Anonymous) says…

Never heard of the guy. I don't see where the adjective “young” was used in describing him, jaywalker — at least not in this article.

However, this article brings up some questions: Who is the nation's preeminent white scholar? Latino scholar? Native American scholar?

you know, there is this wonderful new invention called the internet where you could look that up...or were those rhetorical questions asked so u can display your a$$holishness?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 8 months ago

Thank you Blue, that was a good one. I like Chris Rock. As long as we have people like him all is not lost. The actions of the police seem very strange to me. I don't see how they can possibly be justified. I hope the officers involved are punished in some way.

HW 5 years, 8 months ago

I don't understand why LJW does not put the entire AP story up to read. I understand that in the printed version, they are probably trying to save space. It can't be to hard to put the entire article up on the website. That way people that are reading the printed version may come to the website to get more info, who knows.

Anyhow, the reason I brought this up is that on another website that does carry the entire AP story, it mentions that the officer is leaving the house, and Gates follows him out before he is arrested. I wasn't there, so I don't know who is in the right or wrong, but it does make me wonder if Gates wasn't being beligerant and talking sh!t as the cop was leaving. That could lead to this type of charge pretty quick.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 5 years, 8 months ago

A similar thing happened to me several years ago. I was locked out of my house and made a bit of noise trying to force my way into the back door. I finally had to resort to breaking the window on the door to gain entry. My neighbor heard the commotion but it was dark and she couldn't clearly see who was entering my home. When I broke the window, she called the cops and reported a possible break in. The police arrived and checked my I.D.. Unlike Gates, I did not berate them, yell at them, threaten them or refuse to cooperate. I thanked them for taking the steps to make sure that my house was okay. I even shook their hands. The next day, I thanked my neighbor for looking out for my home by calling the police when she suspected trouble. Gates may be considered a scholar, but he doesn't seem to have an ounce of common sense. He did, after all, use force to break into the house. If he had taken a moment to calmly explain the situation from the start, the outcome would have been completely different. A simple "Here's my I.D., thanks for being concerned about my house" goes a long way.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 8 months ago

Well, yes, but even professors are human. He might have been tired and hungry. I find it very sad that the wronged person has to be the one to stay calm and considerate. I have a half-black daughter so I am very much aware of how race is an issue.

begin60 5 years, 8 months ago

There are whitestream schools around here whose very "diversity and equity" offices will quickly sic the cops on people who make discrimination complaints. Getting the police involved in this way is hardly in accord with civil rights law, since complaining about prejudice and discrimination is supposed to be a protected activity. I lodged a complaint with the federal Justice Department when the UNL police showed up at my door and improperly requested affirmative action information. Even leaving a voice mail for the harassing officer was enough to incite him to abuse his power--but the hypocritical school diversity representative was all for treating this as a criminal matter. Only because I otherwise had a life-time clean record was I able to avoid going to court. Whitestream society has a complete blindspot when it comes to diversity-motivated injustice, and violating the legally protected privacies of strangers has to set a new record for kissing to kill and unspeakable cruelty in the name of bigoted whita$$ kindness. Being reasonably politically correct and aware and minding your own business goes a long way. It's illegal for companies or schools to ask presumptive questions before they hire or admit you so why do unsophisticated midwesterners so often train up their kids to go around behaving like this toward complete strangers? It's wrong and ignorant and makes the playing field terribly unequal.

dweezil222 5 years, 8 months ago

The neighbor saw someone acting suspiciously (how often does a homeowner have to physically force the door to their home open) and called police. Police responded and acted in a sincere and supported belief that a burglary was occurring. The only reason this became a race issue is because professor Gates made it one. Should the officer have given him a little slack after learning it was his house? Probably. But truthfully the officer could have placed him under arrest the minute Gates refused to show ID.

bd 5 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like the police were doing their job and he copped an attitude!

puddleglum 5 years, 8 months ago

so one of the cops was black, now how do you defend the leading black scholar?

"I would imagine it's a feeling that many (but not even close to all) white people have a hard time understanding." probably hard for dogs and cats to understand too, since they didn't grow up like this guy. what's next? toads and koala bears?

MyName 5 years, 8 months ago

It sounds more like a chain of human stupidity than racial profiling, but then again you'd have to be there and see how the officers responded before you can say for certain.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 8 months ago

21 July 2009 at 10:25 a.m.

Suggest removal

Permalink NavyVet (Anonymous) says…

Logan72 says: “Black men, in particular, have been raised to not make waves and calmly cooperate when it happens.”

What BS. The law requires everyone to cooperate with the police when stopped; if you don't, you can be arrested -red, yellow, black, or white (you know the song) - it doesn't matter.

Navyvet, as a white female, I've argued strenuously with an officer on one or two occasions when I felt I was being unfairly ticketed for a traffic citation. I raised my voice and was quite argumentative. I was not arrested or put in handcuffs. In both instances, the police officers were wrong and the the cases were dropped later on. I can guarantee you if I'd been a black male, the story would have ended differently. There are none so blind as though who wiill not see and you clearly don't want to see or believe that racial profiling occurs when even most law enforcement agencies agree that it does.

JimmyJoeBob 5 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like the professor caused this intentionally. It can't be profiling they were called to the residence by a neighbor. They had to make contact with whoever was inside due to the call and obvious forced entry. Could even be some sort of trap set up by the professor for attention.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 8 months ago

Blue,

1. I am argumentative about things I feel passionately about. Most of us are. You must also be or you wouldn't be commenting on this story.

2. I have witnessed racism and discrimination by officers first hand. That's BS to the person who says absolutely NO Lawrence police officer is racist. For goodness sakes, they are human and racism does occur. Even minority officers buy into the cultural stereotypes that surround their profession and may participate in it to get along with their superiors and other officers. Ever hear of the Blue Wall?

3. I have seen episodes of Cops and think it serves to reinforce negative stereotypes people have about minorities.

4. I doubt that I'll ever be on Cops or Speeders. As I am mentioned before, I'm white, I'm middle class, I have an advanced college degree, and would probably try to keep my mouth shut if there was a camera pointed at me. At any rate, I would not make a very interesting subject for the COPS producers as it wouldn't really serve to reinforce negative stereotypes about middle aged, white females. People who watch COPS are drawn to it so their negative stereotypes about other groups are reinforced and validated, not to see negative stereotypes of themselves exposed.

notajayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Logan72 (Alia Ahmed) says…

"Navyvet, as a white female, I've argued strenuously with an officer on one or two occasions when I felt I was being unfairly ticketed for a traffic citation. I raised my voice and was quite argumentative. I was not arrested or put in handcuffs."

Gee. Cops sometimes give a break to female drivers.

Alert the press.

"I can guarantee you if I'd been a black male, the story would have ended differently."

Really? You can "guarantee" that, logan? Tell you what, first, become a black male, then test your theory, and let us know how it turned out. We'll wait.

Otherwise it's just your own belief, and nothing you can 'guarantee.'

supertrampofkansas 5 years, 8 months ago

Hmm, the charges were "loud and tumultuous behavior in a public space" and yet the officer arrested him on his front porch as witnessed by all of the officers outside. Is the front porch of a home considered to be "public space"? The whole thing seems bizarre to me.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 8 months ago

nota,

Nitpick about wording if you want. There is no evidence that suggest white, middle-aged females are victims of racial profiling or police brutality. However, there are many documents cases of racial profling and police brutality directed toward black males.

It is interesting that you and blueharley are attacking me for expressing my opinion as well voicing my own experiences about this. It speaks volumes that you don't have anything to say to oeralinda or Tom about their comments.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 8 months ago

blue harley, I agree the few times I've seen parts of COPS there were also white "meth heads" on the program. Let me restate that the show reinforces stereotypes about lower socio-economic groups and minorities. It is much like looking at a car accident or a train wreck, it is horrifying but it is hard to look away. It is sort of like watching people being devoured in the lion's den, gruesome. Perhaps it also makes the viewer feel more superior because they've not been in that situation.

notajayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

supertrampofkansas (Anonymous) says…

"Is the front porch of a home considered to be “public space”?"

Sit out on your front porch getting drunk and find out.

Logan72 (Alia Ahmed) says…

"It is interesting that you and blueharley are attacking me for expressing my opinion"

I didn't attack your opinion, I merely pointed out that it WAS, in fact, an opinion, not something you could 'guarantee.'

"as well voicing my own experiences about this."

Exactly what experience do you have being arrested for being a black male breaking into your own home, Alia?

jimmyjms 5 years, 8 months ago

"He is a major wheel in racial victimhood industry."

Ah yes, all those degrees and honors, high paying position at Harvard, all of that pales in comparison to you, oeralinda...an anonymous a$$hole on a local paper blog, standing in judgement.

Your parents must be so proud.

9070811 5 years, 8 months ago

I would call the police if I saw two men trying to forge there way into a home. I would use the description of their skin color or believed ethicity no matter what. It is easy and identifiable: "What I believe is a middle aged white/asian/hispanic/black male seems to be forcing entry into a home."

Do we know if the woman who made the phone is a racist? Or was she simply using a description of two men. Probably the latter.
I do not feel that this was a matter of racial profiling, until Gates became angry and hostile towards the police (a stereotyped characteristic, we all know that). He has pre concieved notions for the police, just has many people have pre concieved notions for those with dark skin.

However, the police should have left after he produced identification. They should have known that after he proved that it was his residence further questioning would only aggrevate the situation.
When someone is confronted by the police, they oaught to know it is best to answer politely and clearly as possible. Being civil has its benefits. As does saying the least amount possible.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 8 months ago

blue73harley (Anonymous) says…

Three observations about Logan72 - She likes to argue. She has never seen an episode of “Cops” or “Speeders”. We will eventually see her on an episode of “Cops” or “Speeders”.

blue, it felt like an attack to say I'm argumentative and to say I'd end up on Cops or Speeders. I don't have a sense of humor when it comes to bigotry, you're right. It has never struck me as being funny. I also don't have a sense of humor about people who deny that it happens.

nota,

My experience is not being racially profiled or subject to police brutality even though I've been in similar situations (pulled over and being upset about it) and also directly witnessing acts such as those directed toward black men as well as hearing many first-hand accounts of those. I have friends and relatives who are black and of course, it bothers me to see and hear them and others discriminated against because of race. I would hope even if I didn't have friends and relatives who are black, I'd feel as strongly about it. I'd like everyone to be given a fair shake in life, call me an idealist.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 8 months ago

OeraLinda (Anonymous) says…

“There is no evidence that suggest white, middle-aged females are victims of racial profiling or police brutality.”

No, there is just general random brutality committed by black civilians against whites in our society and it is condoned and silenced by our mainstream media.

OeraLinda, The discussion at hand is about this black man's experience with police and in general, the history of racial profiling by police officers.

Some black civilians do perpetrate violence against whites and non-whites in our society. Some white civilians also perpetrate violence against whites and non-whites in our society. What does that have to do with this discussion and if the MSM is covering up the notion of black-on-white crime, how do you know about it? Of course, that is your perspective on it and no one will change your mind about it. You're the one who sounds like you're playing the roll of a "victim".

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

Sometimes all certain people are capable of seeing is race.

/arguing with those people about it is fruitless

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 8 months ago

Maybe, ideally you should always calm and cool and courteous. But in reality people get mad and they speak their mind. If you have never spoke an angry word to someone, police or not, then God bless you. The only I was ever angry at a police officer was when there was an inch of ice on the sidewalk and I was walking in the cleared street. I was told to get back on the sidewalk. It makes sense on one level, but I was terrified of slipping on the ice and breaking a bone. If I break a leg or a hip, I told him, it will be on your conscience. He was totally not impressed. I am still mad about that and it must have been ten years ago.

notajayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Logan72 (Alia Ahmed) says…

"My experience is not being racially profiled or subject to police brutality even though I've been in similar situations (pulled over and being upset about it) and also directly witnessing acts such as those directed toward black men as well as hearing many first-hand accounts of those. I have friends and relatives who are black and of course, it bothers me to see and hear them and others discriminated against because of race."

And of course that proves it - you didn't get arrested and they did, and there couldn't possibly be any other factors that account for that.

One of the arguments the NAACP uses against photo ID laws is that it would, supposedly, disenfranchise people of color, who (according to them) have reasons to be mistrustful of the system and to feel uncomfortable going through the process at a government building. Then they turn around and call it racial profiling if that same person of color is more likely to be arrested for - oh, I don't know - driving without a license?

A witness (neighbor or passer-by) in this case observed two men attempting to force a door open - if it was a neighbor she likely knew he was out of town and might have had even more reason to be suspicious. The police arrived and had a duty to check out if the person they found in the house had a right to be there. That's all. When you insist that he was only questioned because he was black, when you ignore the possibility that other factors may account for the discrepencies you referred to earlier, it's YOU who's doing the profiling, Alia. When you insist on claiming that any treatment that a person objects to only happened because of race, YOU are the one introducing the racial issues and YOU are the one perpetuating stereotypes and unequal treatment.

And of course that was a complete waste of breath, since you're a liberal and you have black friends so you can't possibly be a racist, it's everyone that refuses to adhere to your patronizing attitudes that are.

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

"Bigotry = not funny. People who argue with cops and expect a positive outcome = freakin' hilarious!"

It all depends on who's story you believe. Gates claimed he showed his ID and that the cop didn't believe him. The cop, on the other hand, says he never saw an ID. This might be a case of bigotry or over-rambunctious officer, or it might be a "freakin' hilarious" over reaction to a situation, or, most likely, a combination in which neither party is totally innocent or totally guilty.

I do know that charges against Gates have been dismissed.

It is silly, however, for others to imagine the scenario and how it played out based on the news reports and start taking sides. Nobody knows exactly what happened outside of Gates, his taxi driver, the officer ... and perhaps Mrs. Kravits looking through her blinds from across the street. "Abner! Abner! Wake up and look at what is going on!"

notajayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

beatrice (Anonymous) says…

"It just makes me wonder if the outcome would be the same if the case involved a Mr. Gates the average (black) citizen, rather than Professor Gates, the internationally recognized Harvard scholar and intellectual. Somehow, I don't think so."

It just makes me wonder if the outcome would be the same if the case involved Mr. Gates the average white citizen, if the charges would still have been dropped if he didn't have the news media screaming 'racial profiling.'

wordgenie8 5 years, 8 months ago

Cops should not behave as if they are themselves above law , but this happens all the time. Too many cops appear to enjoy abusing power in a sadistic and unethical way. A smart cop would stay away from diversity issues and treat everyone the same. Our legal and criminal justice systems are way more than corrupt enough to scare honest people away. "A day in court" is not likely to be a happy occasion unless you have the money and position to buy yourself justice.

daddax98 5 years, 8 months ago

People need to realize that you will never win an argument with a cop so don't try. all u will get is a ticket or arrested, these people have a tough job and sometimes they are unreasonable but your best course of action is to be polite take your ticket and file a complaint later.

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

Tom, you think we shouldn't be on the lookout for right-wing extremists? The people who attacked us on 9/11 were right-wing extremists! They were religious right-wing extremists that make even your distorted conservative views seem tame by comparison. How naive can you be to ignore something so obvious?

"For us to not profile is more important than dead Americans. This is liberal's sincere belief, IMHO."

Are you saying that for us to profile is American, despite the whole land of the free thing and all? How very white of you.

And please explain how exactly this case could have ended with "dead Americans"? Not your fantasy terrorists being ignored at the airport nonsense, but this real-world case. How could dead Americans have happened in this case of a black man entering his own home?

You openly support something as basically unAmerican as profiling based on race, then you neocons wonder why thinking Americans have abandoned your political party like the drowning ship it is -- how sad that you can see how out of touch you really are.

notajayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says…

"Back in my heathen days, I often found my front door “jammed” berccause I was too loaded to get the key into the lock…………………………………….."

That thought had occurred to me also (occupational hazard). Ever see a short film called 'Man About Town,' where he talks about getting home and going through the 'usual rituals' like trying to get the door unlocked, and looking around to see if maybe someone switched keys on you?

Might also explain the alleged belligerence.

Of course, admittedly this is all conjecture. Then again, so are virtually all the other posts on this thread.

TacoBob 5 years, 8 months ago

gphawk89 (Anonymous) says…

“refused to come outside to speak with an officer” “refused to show the officer his identification” “continued to yell at me” “exhibited loud and tumultuous behavior” “became upset when the officer continued to question him”

gphawk89 got it right.

Gates played the race card, poorly.

The 'scholar' should know better.

blakus 5 years, 8 months ago

LJWCSI -- Posters on LJWorld.com solve crimes from around the world on the interwebs. It's a blockbuster of an idea.

standuporget 5 years, 8 months ago

Logan72 (Alia Ahmed) says "Driving left of center is the typical “probable cause” for getting pulled over."
So TRUE. Let me see your license if you have one? Where do you work? How long have you worked there? Do you have insurance? Over and over then, Well you can go now and my favorite - your tail light seems to be working now. I've had as many as six LPD and a detective ask me the same ?s in one stop. A KU cop stopped me driving my brothers vette and asked for insurance and my brother said F__ you I'm tried of this, What did he do? Cop says Well you can go now. So YES the anger does build.