Archive for Monday, July 20, 2009

Police seek help finding suspect in early-morning robbery

A 21-year-old Lawrence man was robbed early Monday morning in the 1200 block of Tennessee street. Anyone with information is asked to contact the tips hotline.

July 20, 2009

A 21-year-old man was robbed just before 2 a.m. Monday while walking home from downtown, Lawrence police said.

“The suspect walked up alongside him and struck up a conversation,” said Kim Murphree, police spokeswoman. “Not long after that, the suspect knocked the victim to the ground and stole his wallet and cell phone, then fled the scene on foot.”

No serious injuries were reported in the robbery, which occurred in the 1200 block of Tennessee Street, police said.

Murphree said the suspect is a white man in his 20s, about 6 feet tall and weighing between 200 and 250 pounds. He was last seen wearing a white shirt, shorts and white shoes.

Anyone with information about the robbery should call Crimestoppers, at 843-8477 (TIPS).

Comments

50YearResident 6 years, 1 month ago

1 AM to 3 AM seems to be a bad time to walk home from downtown!

Steve Jacob 6 years, 1 month ago

Two blocks from the open homeless shelter FYI. Not sure if that means anything, but am sure that's where the police started from.

kusp8 6 years, 1 month ago

not that he was doing this...butttt....the bars do close around then so he may have been walking home instead of being a moron and driving. can't win for losing.

ralphralph 6 years, 1 month ago

People work at bars, etc., too. Just saying.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 6 years, 1 month ago

I do not go to "Beautiful Downtown Lawrence", daytime, nighttime, weekends, anytime. I have never subscribed to the hype of the chamber of commerce or any other group that seems to think that downtown is just "so special". And I have lived here over 30 years.

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 1 month ago

I don't think he was from the Open Shelter because they check people in and out. I think you have to be there at a certain time or you don't get in.

mdrndgtl 6 years, 1 month ago

Good thing it wasn't snowing or this guy would be invisible.

MarchSadness 6 years, 1 month ago

Did they find the suspect? I doubt it. Actually I know they didn't. I used to always wonder why the LJW never follows up on these cases. But it's obvious, the police in this town can never catch a bad guy. They could care less.