Archive for Saturday, July 18, 2009

Gunfire in Kansas City kills Lawrence woman

July 18, 2009, 3:37 p.m. Updated July 18, 2009, 3:37 p.m.

— A 46-year-old Lawrence woman is dead after being hit by random gunfire late Friday night while driving home from the Starlight Theatre in Kansas City.

Deanna Lieber was driving near 59th Street and U.S. 71 Highway in Kansas City when she was hit by a stray round of bullets, Kansas City Police reported.

Kansas City police received calls of shots being fired in the area a little bit before midnight. When they arrived on the scene, they found Lieber had been shot.

Two other passengers were in Lieber’s gold Dodge Durango, the women’s 13-year-old daughter and mother-in-law, according to Kansas City media outlets.

Police do not have any information on a suspect.

Comments

workinghard 5 years, 6 months ago

There just are no words to describe how terrible this is. Her poor child, what was suppose to be a special night turns into a nightmare. I pray they find whoever did this.

mom_of_three 5 years, 6 months ago

What a sad, awful, tragic story! condolences to the family

Steve Jacob 5 years, 6 months ago

Found this on a blog...

"This I can tell you: KC-MO police were stretched thin all morning after this shooting. Metro (where the shooting happened) and Center Zone patrol divisions reported several "black-outs" or no officers to respond to calls.

Even MAST-EMS had to call outside agencies (twice) to help out in the City."

Hope they find this person(s), even if no harm was intended, you don't fire weapons in the city.

jjt 5 years, 6 months ago

Overstretched police in a city where shootings are common place. What hope have they of finding who fired the gun.Even if they do what happens then? I heard of a fatal car accident recently in KC where the guy who caused it had a loaded tripod rifle on the back seat. He was out on bail in three days lawyers reckon he will not do time. When will someone get that ordinary folk do not need to have weapons, least of all the military versions available at your local Cabellas.

skinny 5 years, 6 months ago

They are stretched thin because Kansas CIty has laid off over 100 Police Officers.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

Life can end that fast. comfort and prayer for daughter, mother-in-law and all her family.

---"a stray round of bullets." what does this mean? she was hit once? she was hit several times?

this is poorly written. man, KC's getting dangerous.

zettapixel 5 years, 6 months ago

My condolences to the family. Time to put all those a-holes down like the rabid animals they are.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 6 months ago

What is really horrifying about this to me is that drive by shootings are usually done by people who know each other and think they have a reason to shoot them. But, bullets can travel a long way and so you can not have anything to do with the incident and still be hit. How can you possibly defend yourself against this? My heart goes out to that young girl. How do you cope with something like this?

cowboy 5 years, 6 months ago

Condolences to the family , how tragic Having lost a brother to a robbery/murder in KC many years ago I can tell you that the KCMO police are extremely good at solving these , they take good care of the victims families and bust their tails to find the perpetrators.

Brian Conrad 5 years, 6 months ago

mandatory sentencing for drugs.??.. but idiots get away with weapons violations over and over. mandatory time for illegal gun possesion. period! the jails are full of drunk drivers and drug users .. while guns are everywhere. would rather have a drug dealing drunk next door ... than a violent offender with an auto weapon!!!! our laws are upside down.

Brian Conrad 5 years, 6 months ago

and yes in Douglas county would get off with probation. tooooo busy with saturation points.. Douglas county prosecuters so worried about win record , they reduce stabbings in Lawrence to ag bat a misdomeanor no time ... you kidding me .. you would get jail time for three wines and drive a block... but stab someone .. no time. completely nuts.

Jock Navels 5 years, 6 months ago

cabelas doesn't sell guns that fire bullets. walmarts sells more guns than all other gun dealers combined.

oohmgrover 5 years, 6 months ago

This is a true tragedy. As an educator, I applaud the work that the attorneys for the state department of education have done to fight for educational support in the capitol. Such a loss for her family as well. They will be in my prayers.

And don't go blaming Cabela's for this - have you been inside a Cabela's? You aren't going to be using hunting rifles that you registered for and purchased for drive bys.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

Bronzie, you are a complete idiot, thrown off this forum at least seven times!

most likely the gun/guns involved in this were illegally possessed, so taking guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens only multiplies the potential casualties and further empowers the thugs.

PeachiePie 5 years, 6 months ago

I can't believe the tragedy! That poor young girl and her grandmother passengers in the car when her mother was shot and killed, what a shame! God bless the family now and help them in their healing, they will need all of the prayers and help they can get right now!

DGL 5 years, 6 months ago

I work armed security just a few blocks from where this happened. I heard the 2 gunshots (sounded like a large caliber pistol) around 12:15. Shortly after, there were sirens everywhere and a helicopter flew over 10 minutes later. There's a lot of gang activity and guns, and unless you live there, you have no business being in the area after dark--it's a warzone.

jimmyjms 5 years, 6 months ago

"Not that this is the victim's fault but still……a very, very bad part of town."

It's not that bad. Worked there for years, leaving at 11 at night. Not safe, but come on.

So sorry that this has happened.

repaste 5 years, 6 months ago

the 4_h family lost a great lady and a great volunteer. she represented all of the good 4-H stands for . I wish her husband, daughter, and son all the love and support possible, i think they will have many friends and family to get through this. Hang in there Joe.

Rex Russell 5 years, 6 months ago

Sad, senseless, and tearful. I did not know you, but my thouhgts and prayers are with your family tonight. Everyone hug someone you love before you go to bed tonight.

davidsmom 5 years, 6 months ago

Many years ago when I was involved with Cub Scout Day Camp held at Camp Naish by the Santa Fe Trail District, another district held its camp at Swope Park and I met someone on staff with that camp. She told me that they had to be there several hours early each day the week of camp to "sweep" the park for used condoms, needles, bullets...you name it...before they could set up for the kids. I've been to Starlight and the Zoo, but I've never felt like it was a wonderful neighborhood to be in...it was just my perception.

LA_Ex 5 years, 6 months ago

Marion, 59th and 71 is one of the most common ways for people to come back into Lawrence when leaving Starlight. You have to cross 59th street when traveling north on 71. The only other option is to cross Bannister while going south on 71 into the triangle. Why would anyone go "there"? It's easy. They went "there" to see a show and were returning home on one of the most obvious route. While they do have several shootings around there, the area really isn't "war zone" dangerous. It's not like they at the corner of Hardesty and St. John's or something. My deepest sympathies to the family. This is something that never should have happened and I'm sure was the farthest thing from their mind at the time.

jjt 5 years, 6 months ago

I have actually seen a portable anti tank weapon (armalite)on display at Cabellas. Certainly they used to have ex us and uk military weapons there, I know what they are as I have used the things. Why go to Cabellas when you can buy a Tommy gun form the local pawn shop as of ten days ago. The point is that whilst guns are pretty much available this sort of thing will continue to happen. What is sad is that here in Lawrence I am not sure the story will even rate the Sunday edition and yet a Lawrence families lives have been ruined.

BigPrune 5 years, 6 months ago

This is one of the reasons I don't like to go to events at Starlight Theater. It's in the ghetto.

jhawk23 5 years, 6 months ago

Goodbye, Dea. I'll miss you. thanks for everything.

Devon Kissinger 5 years, 6 months ago

I really want to get into a discussion about class 3 weapons here but respect for the dead compels me not to. jjt, you've got some learnin' to do. Prayers go out for the family and friends.