Archive for Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Kobach says statement about Obama ‘just a joke’

July 14, 2009

— The Kansas Democratic Party didn’t find Republican secretary of state candidate Kris Kobach’s joke about President Obama’s birth certificate funny.

"While Kris Kobach has in the past associated himself with extremists who frequently show poor taste, his latest attempt at humor has gone too far,” KDP executive director Kenny Johnston said Monday.

“Kansans want elected officials who stand above the peddling of partisan lies and conspiracy theory. This is yet another example of why Kris Kobach is unfit for elected office," Johnston added.

In response to the Democratic criticism, Kobach said Tuesday, “Lighten up. It’s just a joke.”

Kobach added, “Are they really suggesting it is forbidden to tell jokes about Barack Obama?”

In speaking Saturday at a Leavenworth County Republican Party barbecue in Tonganoxie, Kobach asked what Obama and God had in common. He said neither had a birth certificate.

Some critics of Obama have accused him of having faked his birth certificate to show that he was born in Hawaii rather than his father’s home of Kenya, which would have meant he was not eligible to run for president.

The fake birth certificate allegation has been refuted by non-partisan groups.

“Until a court says otherwise, I believe Barack Obama is a natural-born citizen,” said Kobach, who is former chairman of the state Republican Party.

In his comment about Kobach’s associations with extremists, Johnston said he was referring to a report done by the Southern Poverty Law Center, which criticized Kobach’s affiliation with the Federation for American Immigration Reform. The Southern Poverty Law Center listed FAIR as a hate group that promoted racism.

FAIR denied being racist, as did Kobach when the charge was originally made. Kobach, an attorney, has worked on behalf of FAIR in a court challenge of a Kansas law that allows the children of some undocumented workers to pay in-state tuition for postsecondary education.

Comments

Shane Garrett 5 years, 5 months ago

I have listed The Southern Poverty Law Center as a communist org.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

Everyone is entitled to make very bad jokes. That is why we have Bruno. If you choose to make a joke be prepared for someone not to like it. To say, lighten up, it's only a joke, is not going to work.

Kathy Getto 5 years, 5 months ago

Really, Irish? Does this apply to Palin as well? Hmmmmm?

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

I've heard Kris Kobach was born at night to a jackal on the 6th hour of the 6th day of the 6th month, and that he has seven illegitimate children by seven different diseased prostitutes.

Whoa, hey!! Lighten up, it's just a joke!!

What a tool.

Raider 5 years, 5 months ago

The thing that gets me is the joke he made isn't even funny. I might let him off the hook a little bit if his joke actually had some humor to it. I can picture him making this joke and everyone around him kind of groaning and just saying "Ummm, yeah Kris. Good one".

This guy is just an idiot.

Larry 5 years, 5 months ago

That was funny! The birth certificate part was not the part that irritated the libs.....it was the part that compared God to the all and knowing great one Obama. Everyone should know by now that NO ONE, and I do mean NO ONE compares to the GREAT BARACK........ Doesn't anyone watch mainstream media. COME ON!

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

Valkyrie: Errr. . . yes, clearly it did. Or did you forget the outrage(tm), the criticism, and the demands for an apology (that was given). The amusing thing is that Letterman, the comedian, did apologize, and that Kobach, the statesman, is falling back on the joke line.

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 5 months ago

More disappointment for those of us still waiting for an intelligent Republican to come out of Kansas.

I think Brown is the only one with half a brain. Unfortunately, he doesn't always use it.

MarchSadness 5 years, 5 months ago

Whether you think the joke was in bad taste or not, it has become evident that it is almost forbidden to tell a joke about Barack. While the media cracked jokes on Bush for years, deservingly so, it seems that any joke about Obama is blasphemy or racist. You can't call someone a racist because they jokingly question the authenticity of a birth certificate. Instances like these create racism when it shouldn't be an issue at all. There are times when it is acceptable to use the race card, but it has absolutely no place in this situation and many others.

Kathy Getto 5 years, 5 months ago

Jonas - I guess my point was not clear. Irish said everyone is entitled to make very bad jokes which was not her stance relative Palin/Letterman. I should have said "Does this also apply to Letterman?"

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

valkyrie: Fair enough, but on here it's sometimes difficult to tell whether comments are supposed to be for the specific user or part of a more generalized position or argument. Thanks for clearing it up, but I have no particular urge to address Irish's inconsistencies.

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 5 months ago

There once was a politico named Kris And Obama he attempted to dis His last named also begins with K Which gives the game away His middle name must be Karl for the KKK gist

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

MarchSadness: I'm not finding any mention on how this joke is supposed to be racist, at least not on this thread. And I've seen quite a number of jokes about Obama on the Daily Show so far, one of the few political/comedic shows I watch, and they have, to the best of my knowledge, not been accused of racism as of yet. Honestly, for every cry of racism in regards to Obama (admittedly many) where it was not justified, I've found as many where honest criticism of partisan buffoonery such as this is relegated to race issues, just as is happening on this thread right now.

The issue here seems to be spreading lies in a joking manner, not race. And Kobach is quoted as admitting that the joke Is a lie, more or less.

jmm35 5 years, 5 months ago

It was a joke, lighten up. I'm with Kobach. If Obama really is a natural born US citizen then there should be no issue. Its only fair that republicans get a chance to bash Obama, like the democrats did to Bush the last 8 years. Democrats better get used to it, because until Republicans take office back over, the jokes will be on the Democrats.

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

Ah crap, but YWN comes and ruins it.

YWN, STFU

BigDog 5 years, 5 months ago

Yeah .... I guess we have forgotten Obama's joke about Special Olympics

puddleglum 5 years, 5 months ago

tom should be criticism-proof. seriously, what would we do if he got disappeardeded

mdrndgtl 5 years, 5 months ago

Actually OeraLinda, you are not required to produce a birth certificate (or prove citizenship) to become president of the United States. Most people (including Congress) are willing to just take your word for it. I mean, if you speak American, then most likely you are a purebred American. Right?

jaywalker 5 years, 5 months ago

Mountain meet mole hill. Don't know about Kobach and chances are this is par for the course for him as some of the comments here imply. But this is pretty silly to get worked up over, and I think the only thing it really displays is how media types are looking for any nettle from either side to stir the pot. Seriously, a joke to a Republican constituency at a barbeque needs to make the news and draw that kind of response from state democrats?

littlegrace 5 years, 5 months ago

Obama is an adult Palin's daughter isn't.

Snoop 5 years, 5 months ago

First of all this is a joke that has been told by several prominent radio talk show hosts on several occasions over the last month. So Kobach is a nothing more than a parrot. This joke is old and tired like most Kansas Republicans.

However I still find it amusing how the Negro Messiah has you white folks so bullied and cowering that every time someone make a joke about him you people get all up in arms, it is pathetic.

While this dude has set off unemployment numbers that we have not seen in decades, lied about everything from government transparency to exiting Iraq, bailed out failing car companies, redistributed taxpayer dollars towards growing government and the list goes on, you folks turn any joke about Obama turns into a major offense.

Who cares what some nobody from the Kansas Democratic Party thinks? Who care what Kobach says or thinks?

The things Obama has already screwed up are a far bigger priority than any stupid joke. Obama is a complete fraud and as a result will completely screw over the country.

Believe me far harsher jokes will be told about him as more and more of you white folks and many of your friends lose jobs and watch investments dwindle.

There is so much wrong with what is going on with this presidency and I have seen little or none of it covered in our local paper. It is only when I am sent this silliness about a damn joke via e-mail that I see anything covered about the Messiah.

How about covering Obama’s attempts at a second stimulus con for starters and how Obama's (first) stimulus package could prolong economic crisis, or a story on how state stimulus funds have gone to counties that voted for Obama vs those that did not. Or that 90% of 'stimulus' has gone to state bailouts. Or this socialist administrations attempt to pass a bill through congress that will require an environmental inspection required for you to sell your home, meaning MORE TAXES!
Or how states that voted for him like Michigan is facing 20% unemployment or how his approval rating for “Strongly Disapprove” has reached 38%.

C’mon people more substance, less joke stories. Obama coverage has already been lacking due to the media covering Michael Jackson 24/7.

Don’t be blinded by this nonsense.

average 5 years, 5 months ago

@OeraLinda -

His state-issued certificate (which is what you get when you ask for your birth certificate) has been posted around the web and shown to many requesting journalists. It has been directly confirmed by the Hawaii registrar.

Which is funny, because I've never seen George Bush's birth certificate. Or Ronnie Reagan's. Or Jimmy Carter's. And I didn't care. Now, we have a president who has released his birth certificate widely, and we have nutters who don't believe it.

I honestly think there is some silly young intern in the Obama political organization who keeps rattling the chains on the issue. Every time he does it, he makes the nutters look nuttier.

mdrndgtl 5 years, 5 months ago

Please forgive Snoop, he was both blind and deaf for the better half of the last decade...

Kathy Getto 5 years, 5 months ago

jonas_opines (Anonymous) says…

I try to resist that urge as well, but alas, I am not perfect. :-)

bender 5 years, 5 months ago

Did Kobach use the Lord's name in vain? OMG (G for Gosh). How can he expect the Republican base to vote for him when he goes around breaking one of the Ten Commandments just to get a chuckle at a barbecue?

georgeofwesternkansas 5 years, 5 months ago

"When the government becomes a trough, politics will become a feeding frenzy...."

beatrice 5 years, 5 months ago

Tom: "It's OK for Letterman to say Palin's 14 yr old daughter be raped in a ball park by a player."

Yes, that is exactly what Letterman said. Sure it is.

Tom, I have a serious question for you -- were you old enough to remember when you were dropped on your head?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't think the remarks about Bush were funny. I voted for the man two times. Our family has deviated from voting Republican in order to vote for Roosevelt, Kennedy and Obama. I don't like the jokes about any of the Palin family. Yes, I am inconsistent. I change and I like to think that is a good thing. If you don't agree with me I can deal with that. We are not likely to hear in the news when one member of a party praises the action of a member of an opposing party. That is just not interesting.

Beelzebub 5 years, 5 months ago

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 5 months ago

What Kobach told was a joke. Does he really believe that Obama is not an American citizen? Likely not.

It was a joke, similar to joking that Kris Kobach is affiliated with the KKK.

Sheesh, you all need to take a chill pill.

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 5 months ago

What is also a joke are the serious-minded posters on this forum that still naively believe that this is anything other than entertainment and a chance to insult and degrade with relish those with whom you disagree.

Cute, but get over it...

MarchSadness 5 years, 5 months ago

jonas_opines, I don't even know where to start with your comment to me. First of all, you question that this joke has anything to do with racism. Well, evidentally they LJW found it necessary to quote KDP executive director Kenny Johnston in saying that Kobach has a past history of being an extemists and also mentioning that Kobach has an affiliation with Federation for American Immigration Reform, in which The Southern Poverty Law Center listed as a hate group that promoted racism. But I'm sure you're right about Mr. Johnson not meaning to say Kobach is a possible racist.

Also, I made a comment about the media laying off Obama. You seriously chose to argue that point by referring to a satirical talk show on Comedy Central. You must be a fool, to let me know that Jon Stewart has made a few jokes about Obama. So while I'm actually in tune with legit media outlets, you can continue to sit in front of comedy central at 10pm with your bong in hand and gain your valuable knowledge that you believe it credible.

Shut up and just keep taking rips from your "Obama: Yes We Can!" pipe!

dweezil222 5 years, 5 months ago

SPLC used to be a really good organization. FAIR isn't racist -- they just want people to follow the law.

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 5 months ago

One of the funniest Obama jokes came from John Stewart.

Obama was quoted in Pakistan as saying that he makes a mean daal and has read all of the urdu poets, and so on.

That's great. Now fix the economy.

I also find the jokes comparing Obama to God and Jesus to also be very funny. He is truly an amazing person and intellect. Ayn Rand would like him very much.

mdrndgtl 5 years, 5 months ago

They make "Obama: Yes We Can!" pipes? No way that's true, but I suppose people will do anything for money.

Jim Williamson 5 years, 5 months ago

"This is the 'criticism proof' factor I speak of. It's like a force-field for Obama and despicable liberal Democrats."

Substitute "Reagan" for "Obama" and "neo-conservatives and radical Christian right" for "despicable liberal Democrats." Now you know the nausea I felt for eight long years.

SandCoAlmanac 5 years, 5 months ago

When I first read the 'joke,' I was annoyed. Almost out loud I said, "Why God? Why not Moses?" I think Mr. Kobach missed a chance to be ironic (?) as well as funny. I generally don't like jokes about God in the first place, but if Kobach had only used Moses (who was 'chosen' to lead his people out of the wilderness), I think it would have been much better! But that's just my opinion. Unlike Snoop, I didn't know it was a joke that had " ... been told by several prominent radio talk show hosts on several occasions over the last month." While scanning the radio on two occasions lately, I've come across Kobach's hyperbolic radio talk show. After a few minutes, I switched to the Royals station. They play a better game.

Ernest Barteldes 5 years, 5 months ago

People complain when Middle America's politicians end up being the butt of bad jokes. Now here is the evidence. So stop wondering now

pace 5 years, 5 months ago

joke, usually has a humorist point of irony or satire. Both sides are at fault, Wingnuts call Obama god or a savior and liberals call Bush an idiot or clueless. mmmm.

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

"jonas_opines, I don't even know where to start with your comment to me."

Then you probably shouldn't have started at all, rather than embarrass yourself.

"First of all, you question that this joke has anything to do with racism. Well, evidentally they LJW found it necessary to quote KDP executive director Kenny Johnston in saying that Kobach has a past history of being an extemists and also mentioning that Kobach has an affiliation with Federation for American Immigration Reform, in which The Southern Poverty Law Center listed as a hate group that promoted racism."

Was that like the 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon, Racism version? Why don't you show how this joke is being treated as racist by anyone other than Yourworstnightmare, rather than bringing up alternative connections until you finally get the result that you want.

"Also, I made a comment about the media laying off Obama."

You said that jokes about Obama were off limits, or immediately written off as racist or blasphemy. Which is not particularly true.

"So while I'm actually in tune with legit media outlets, you can continue to sit in front of comedy central at 10pm with your bong in hand and gain your valuable knowledge that you believe it credible."

No, I find it amusing, the same as I find it amusing that some people believe the other TV news venues are "legit," and not out for the same thing, ultimately, as The Daily Show: entertainment and viewer numbers. I reached that conclusion, in part, because of all of the off-color jokes and poor opinions I found in the "legit" news, along with heavy doses of sensationalism and fear-mongering. Now= I tend to get my news from the CNN website and the WSJ, where I can devote the time to specific stories that I feel is important, not what they think, and the two together seem to provide a good balance.

"Shut up and just keep taking rips from your “Obama: Yes We Can!” pipe."

I thought I'd leave this in to show how dumb you look. Congratulations, again, on embarrassing yourself.

mdrndgtl 5 years, 5 months ago

"Ayn Rand would like him very much."

I would have to disagree, yourworstnightmare. I believe Ayn Rand would be at odds with Barack Obama, for Objectivism promotes a passive stance in respect to government's role in the marketplace, and further, in society as a whole.

mdrndgtl 5 years, 5 months ago

Or maybe you meant Ayn Rand would like him very much, but tl;dr...

CestWhat 5 years, 5 months ago

Kris Kobach didn't even think up that joke. He just stole it verbatim from Rush Limbaugh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecMAJU...

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

"Good point, Mr./Ms. Pace ====everyone should settle down; junior high school lockerroom behaviors don't help the LJWorld site, politics or the country."

Well, probably not the politics or the country, but they help the ljworld site be more trashily entertaining. Maybe it's better to say that the ljworld site (internet forums in general, even) don't do much to help the politics or the country.

But maybe they do. They keep us crazy folk indoors, where we don't bother anybody but each other! haha

getreal 5 years, 5 months ago

Kobach and Rush, two peas in a pod.

BigDog 5 years, 5 months ago

The economy is crap ..... unemployment is close to 10% ..... and America's debt will be double before 2015 and triple by 2019

Yet we are disecting a joke ..... hmmmm ..... that's almost a half step above watching reality shows.

jmm35 5 years, 5 months ago

The joke is on the Democratic American's who actually believed he could fix all the world's problems. Obama and his entire administration are the real joke. Lets just hope blue collar Democratic American's see how little fun being unemployed is and aren't fooled by a smooth talking, unqualified candidate ever again...

classclown 5 years, 5 months ago

A man died and went to Heaven. As he stood in front of the Pearly Gates, he saw a huge wall of clocks behind him. He asked, 'What are all those clocks?'

St. Peter answered, 'Those are Lie-Clocks. Everyone who has ever been on earth has a Lie-Clock. Every time you lie, the hands on your clock move.'

'Oh', said the man. 'Whose clock is that?'

'That's Mother Teresa's', replied St. Peter. 'The hands have never moved, indicating that she never told a lie.'

'Incredible', said the man. 'And whose clock is that one?'

St. Peter responded, 'That's Abraham Lincoln's clock. The hands have moved twice, telling us that Abraham told only two lies in his entire life.'

'Where's Obama's clock?' asked the man.

St Peter replied, 'Jesus has it in his office. He uses it as a ceiling fan.'

dlkrm 5 years, 5 months ago

SandCoAlmanac, you miss the point. Obama is the left's god.

"The fake birth certificate allegation has been refuted by non-partisan groups."

Mr. Rothschild, do you have any evidence of this? This is actually not true.

Also, the Southern Poverty Law Center is a hate group whose sole function is to label other groups as hate groups. This might be an important thing to point out when you go about quoting the SPLC.

pace 5 years, 5 months ago

Conservatives say that Democrats think Obama can fix everything. Sad, I think most Democrats understand that Obama can't fix the mess left to him. the idea conservatives have that a president is the pitcher, hitter and catcher is a little optimistic. It will take both parties and each of us, working, changing and addressing issues to build this country up again. It is time for people to stand up, not to just point fingers and name call. We have a dirty congress and senate, many of our local politicians have no qualms about doing a little mutual handwashing.

Sigmund 5 years, 5 months ago

That is the only Obama joke that I have heard that could be posted here without threat of being removed and the user banned.

Bruce Bertsch 5 years, 5 months ago

I feel sorry for folks like dlkrm. It must be hard living without a clue. The SPLC are the folks who put the KKK into bankruptcy. They are a good and noble organization that fights for the little guy. FAIR is absolutely a racist group that strives to use their interpretation of the Constitution to limit the ability of the children of one group of undocumented aliens to receive an education that they have to pay for. I guess the fact that the one group has brown skin and speaks Spanish means nothing. Right.

dweezil222 5 years, 5 months ago

moderationman, it has to do with the fact that they have no business being in this country in the first place. I have no problem with immigrants who come here through the proper channels, but if you jump the border, you're a criminal, plain and simple. And we shouldn't have to pay for their children, who shouldn't be here in the first place. I'd be saying this regardless of what group of immigrants are involved; however, the simple truth is that they're arent enormous numbers of Canadians coming in illegally; they're all coming from the south.

Beelzebub 5 years, 5 months ago

"...but if you jump the border, you're a criminal, plain and simple"

Well they certainly are willing to take a lot of risks and accept jobs that .....oh wait a minute....somebody over here must be giving them jobs...is that legal?

Beelzebub 5 years, 5 months ago

"The SPLC is an enemy to free Americans everywhere."

Are you serious?

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 5 months ago

Marion, it was Dick Cheney (and I believe also Karl Rove) who at different times insisted to President Bush: "Deficits don't matter"

kugrad 5 years, 5 months ago

La Raza isn't on the SPLC list because it isn't a hate group. If you are so functionally illiterate that you can't identify a smear campaign when you hear one, that can't be helped. If La Raza had been guilty of ANY of the things they were accused of doing that were illegal, I'd be the first to oppose them, but in reality, that place blogs and Rush and Fox rarely visit, that fact-based, observable, rational universe, La Raza, as an organization, hasn't been shown to have done anything wrong. They've been blamed for things as absurd as the housing bubble and subsequent crash (all thoroughly and indisputably discredited, not to mention ridiculous) but you'd have to actually read things not necessarily on the internet or TV or someone's blog to find that out. They've never been tied to so much as one case of actual voter fraud, the only accusation that has any potential merit. They are simply victims of repeated hate speech by racists and fools who cannot distinguish fact from propoganda. If Lou Dobbs and Rush and Glenn Beck and other anti-immigration self-appointed pundits bash them enough, their disinformation campaigns eventually bear fruit in the opinions of their listeners, which is the point of hate speech after all.

Calling the SPLC anti-american is similar. It isn't hate speech, it's just ignorant speech. Ludicrous speech of the sort that discredits one who states it. Our nation has benefited from the work of the SPLC. We have come a long way in my lifetime. We have a black man on the Supreme Court, a Hispanic woman soon to join him, a bi-racial black man in the White House, and so forth. Yet we still have absurd posts showing just how far we still have to go.

staff04 5 years, 5 months ago

On this, I gotta agree with Kris...lighten up. It's a stupid joke, it's not in the least bit funny, but I believe that it is a joke.

My experience with FAIR is that it is an exceptionally racist organization that uses the fervor of its racist members to intimidate vulnerable politicians.

DoNothingCrats 5 years, 5 months ago

The left won't admit these things so i as a staunch conswervative will share them. 1.) The KKK was started by the Democratic Party (check the history ) 2.MLK was a Republican and his niece still is . 3.) The Democratic party never wanted the Jim Crowe laws overturned Slapping libs in the face is oh so much fun.

I have screen shots from UPI where Obama said in Nov,08 that he was born at Queens Medical Center in Honolulu,but Kapa'loni Hospital said he was born there because they have a letter from Obama saying as much. HMMMM Wikipedia said he was born in Kenya ..hmmmm The local newspaper in Ghana said he was born in Africa ...HMM Snopes said he was born in Kenya ..Hmmm

All this has since been scrubbed off the individual sites but i kept the screen shots of these stories to shut up the whining babies known as libs.

mdrndgtl 5 years, 5 months ago

An Indian named Tonto walks into a cafe with a shotgun in one hand pulling a male bull buffalo with the other. He says to the waiter in broken English, "Me want coffee."

The waiter says, "Sure, Chief, coming right up." He gets the Indian a tall mug of coffee. The Indian drinks the coffee down in one gulp, turns and blasts the buffalo with several shots from his shotgun, causing parts of the animal to splatter everywhere, then he just walks out.

The next morning the Indian returns. He has his shotgun in one hand pulling another male buffalo with the other. He walks up to the counter and says to the waiter, "Want coffee." The waiter says, "Whoa, Tonto! We're still cleaning up your mess from yesterday. What was all that about, anyway?"

The Indian smiles and proudly says, "Training to be a Republican elected official or perhaps Republican United States Congressman: Come in, drink coffee, shoot the bull, leave mess for others to clean up, disappear for rest of day."

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

And, I think of myself as a liberal Democrat, yes people do change, but that is just my opinion about myself. I am deeply offended by those comparing President Obama to Jesus or to God because I consider that to be blasphemy.

beawolf 5 years, 5 months ago

It was a poor joke, but a joke nonetheless. Dick Cheney, George Bush and his father are flying on Air Force One. Dick looks at Dubya, chuckles and says, "You know, I could throw a $100.00 bill out the window right now and make one person very happy." Dubya shrugs his shoulders and says, "Well, I could throw ten $10.00 bills out the window and make 10 people very happy." George Bush Senior says, "Of course then, I could throw one-hundred $1.00 bills out the window and make a hundred people very happy." The pilot rolls her eyes, looks at all of them and says, "I could throw all of you out the window and make the whole country happy."

mdrndgtl 5 years, 5 months ago

Is there anything special about 18 months, Tom? Just curious why you pinpointed January 14th, 2011 as the day of reckoning...

Snoop 5 years, 5 months ago

House bill to hit millionaires with 5.4% surtax...

LANDLORD IN CHIEF: OBAMA MULLS RENTAL OPTION FOR HOMEOWNERS...

SAYS SOME AUTO JOBS 'NOT COMING BACK'...

Obama sees jobless rate ticking up in months ahead...

US deficit tops $1,000,000,000,000 for first time

Stimulus is ‘Dismal Failure,’ Only 1 Percent of Infrastructure Money Has Been Spent

Document drop: CBO scores the health care takeover

Obama Car Czar Abdicates After Brief Tenure, Steven Rattner, a former New York Times reporter whose short tenure as Obama's so-called car czar "came under a cloud in April when details of alleged influence-peddling surfaced," announced his resignation yesterday...

THE SHATTERED TELEPROMPTER...

CBS: Obama dropped six points in a month

Minority Broadcasters Ask For Bailout

Hoover (Alabama) to get $400,000 in federal stimulus money for landscaping

House Ethics Office Recommends Investigations of Five Democrats

White House Dodges Question of Whether Obama Supports House Democrats' Plan for $540-Billion Income Tax Hike

Tax Increase on 'Rich' People Planned by House Democrats Would Strike More Than a Million U.S. Small Businesses

Does Obama have to serve a penalty for lying to the Pope? Last week during his visit with Pope Benedict XVI, Barack Obama made the ludicrous claim that he “wants fewer abortions” .... LIAR!

Why Are We Giving Stimulus Dollars to Company Breaking Iran Embargo ?

Green Jobs Czar Van Jones Is a Communist and Black Nationalist

Oh and you want to see something really funny... Obama Hand shake Snubbed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1C_NW...

But hey Kobach’s recycled joke is obviously a bigger headline.

KLATTU 5 years, 5 months ago

The problem with America is the large percentage of morons on both sides. Anyone who thinks both sides haven't been dishing out plenty of insults for a couple of decades now just has their head shoved too far up their...

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

none2 (Anonymous) says…

"John McCain was born in Panama — outside the Panama Canal Zone. So even though he was born to US citizens some could argue that he isn't “natural born”."

Some could argue it.

They'd be wrong, but they could argue it.

"The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:

(c) a person born outside of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents both of whom are citizens of the United States and one of whom has had a residence in the United States or one of its outlying possessions, prior to the birth of such person;"

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 5 months ago

When Obama was in Russia, Caribou Barbie could see him from her front porch.

oldvet 5 years, 5 months ago

you might enjoy this one... it's left over from the pre-election but still funny...

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 5 months ago

Obama is neither liberal nor conservative. He is a pragmatic problem solver, and he is talented at it.

He will use the government or the markets or a combination of both to solve problems. He is not hamstrung by ideology as so many of our recent politicians, right and left, seem to be.

This pragmatic, non-ideological approach is frightening to many and is one reason why he is attacked with such vitriol from the right (and recently the left).

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 5 months ago

I am happy that Obama is compared to Christ and God to called the anointed one and the savior and the messiah.

He deserves this credit as much as anyone, and certainly more than made-up fairy tales to which these names are normally ascribed.

Obama is an amazing person. His curiosity, intellect, charisma, and effectiveness make him a truly remarkable human being. He deserves these labels. In many ways he s indeed a savior and messiah. I don't think he has been anointed, but I think it is still an apt description for him.

having said that, there is no guarantee his policies will succeed, although I think his shrewdness and non-ideological, pragmatic approach certainly tilt the odds in favor of success.

He is such a breath of fresh air compared to the bump on a log, uncurious, nonintellectual schlemiel that we had for last eight years.

Corey Williams 5 years, 5 months ago

DoNothingCrats (Anonymous) says…

"The left won't admit these things so i as a staunch conswervative will share them. 1.) The KKK was started by the Democratic Party (check the history ) 2.MLK was a Republican and his niece still is . 3.) The Democratic party never wanted the Jim Crowe laws overturned"

I would have to say that, in my opinion, there couldn't possibly be any other poster on this board as imbecilic as you. Do you even know history? Do you know that Lincoln, who has gone down in history as abolishing slavery, was a republican? Did you know that the democratic party used to be the party of the racist south? Right up to the passage of civil rights laws in the 60s. Then they became republicans. Hell, Strom "I wanna tell you, ladies and gentlemen, that there's not enough troops in the army to force the Southern people to break down segregation and admit the (racist term for African Americans) race into our theaters, into our swimming pools, into our homes, and into our churches." Thurmond started his political life as a democrat, until he changed parties in 1964.

So now maybe you catch up with the rest of us in the 21st century, huh? Whether you hate the democratic party or not is up to you, but to base your dislike on those terms is at best moronic.

bobwob 5 years, 5 months ago

curiosity?? really?? wow, theres a great reason to support someone..because he is curious!!! Curious like a cat or what??? lol!!!!

a_flock_of_jayhawks 5 years, 5 months ago

OeraLinda (Anonymous) says…

"Has he produced a birth certificate? It’s relevant and funny."

Try to keep up here, OL:

His silly joke, and I suppose he is entitled to one, was intended to propagate a lie. "It was just a joke" is often political-speak for "I f'ed up" for those that are called on it.

It's amazing that you fall for this crap every time. You probably get suckered every day. Is your refrigerator running?

MissinLawrence 5 years, 5 months ago

why yes my fridge is running a_flock_of_jayhawks...shall I go get it? haha, that joke never gets old.

Though it was a joke (kind of that stupid funny, but not really; like Borat), Kobach probably just decreased his chances of getting elected.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

I guess freedom of speech includes the right to blasphemy and to mock other peoples faith. I don't care if you are an atheist or not, trust me I have no plans to invite you to my church. I would wonder at the depth of the antagonism to organized religion. The remarks about President Obama cross a line that should never have been crossed.

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

a_flock_of_jayhawks (Anonymous) says…

"His silly joke, and I suppose he is entitled to one, was intended to propagate a lie."

You mean ...

... God really DOES have a birth certificate?

sandersen 5 years, 5 months ago

Yes, Irish, freedom of speech allows you to say what you feel, and freedom of/from religion gives you the right to believe and worship/not worship as you choose. I would never presume to tell you what you should believe, and I deeply appreciate when others honor that principle as well. However, my beliefs and principles are my own, as are yours, and as I am not threatened by your personal beliefs, neither should you feel threatened by my lack of belief in your religion. If you are secure in your belief system, proselytization becomes unnecessary as a means to reinforce your personal theological views.

Tolerance is the bridge that allows us to put animosity to the side and understand that being different makes us individual humans, and so long as we do not cause injury or harm to one another in the name of our beliefs, we are all as validated in how we live our lives as the next human.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

sanderson, I have no plans of inviting you to my church and I was told at instruction class that Catholics do not proselytize. I will not tolerate someone referring to President Obama as the Negro Messiah, or Jesus, or God, because that is blasphemy and shows a lack of respect all around. The man is our President like it or not and he will be for some time.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 5 years, 5 months ago

notajayhawk (Anonymous) says…

You mean …

"… God really DOES have a birth certificate?"

Is your refrigerator running? Do you have Prince Albert in a can?

sandersen 5 years, 5 months ago

You misunderstand, I am afraid. I neither asked to attend your church, nor criticized your beliefs. I believe President Obama to be an intelligent and capable leader, and I also believe him to be a good human being. My personal beliefs need not be the same as yours for us both to have noble intentions and happy, redeeming lives.

You might want to re-read my post.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 5 years, 5 months ago

Mr_Nancy_Boy_To_You (Tom Shewmon) says…

"Forget birth certificates. "

Gloom and doom. Glad I don't live in your world. Wonder how you can manage to get up every day.

sandersen 5 years, 5 months ago

Nancy,

The blazen repetition of untruths and unimaginative 5th grade insults does little to advance your arguments. In fact, it unfortunately makes you seem to lack creativity, spontanaity and intellectual largesse.

I believe you to be more well-read and well-spoken than you oft times portray. It is always much more interesting to read your posts, whether read in agreement or disagreement, when you bring something fresh and thoughtful to the table. I have read posts of yours that were insightful and entertaining, and that added to the discussion, regardless of whether I concurred with you view or logic.

We need not agree in order to enjoy a vigorous and lively dialogue.

purplesage 5 years, 5 months ago

Bad joke? Sorta funny, though. Not in very good taste, I would admit. But it was a political rally - so, like Mr. Kobach said, "Lighten up."

You can't criticize the Prophet, Mohammed, or the jihadists will come after you. You can't criticize President Obama, or the liberals will cry foul while they make the most offensive comments, disrespectful to both the man and the office, about President Bush or soon to be ex-Gov. Palin.

The most distasteful and racist thing I have heard in a while is the Judge Sotomayer comment about Latnio females making better judicial decisions than white males. I don't think that one was meant as a joke.

joeschmoew 5 years, 5 months ago

All you liberal Democrats: Why do you continue trying to use reason and common sense to argue with all these Fox News parrots? The SPLC is a "hate group"? Obama "faked" his birth certificate? These people hear something once by a right-wingnut entertainer or blogger, and from that point on it's proven fact. It's no use beating your heads against the wall trying to explain things to them. Their minds have been made up and are now closed. As the saying goes: You can't fix stupid. And "stupid" has been listening to "ignorant."

igby 5 years, 5 months ago

I find it interesting that the Dems continue to bring up race and racism concerning anything said regarding this President, Obama. The Dems have made the word "Obama", a racist term that will no doubt in the future will be classified and tossed into the growing and banned vocabulary with other deemed racial classified words and references.

Call someone or direct a reference to "Obama", and it's considered racist. All Republicans, all the sudden become racist overnight. Anyone that dissents the "Obama" agenda and political plan all the sudden your a racist; oh forgive me; did I say the dirty word "Obama". Lol.

motocross 5 years, 5 months ago

Thank God that we have 75x55, Tom, and Snoop in here in this liberal infestation of a city.... Where's the Orkin man when you need him?!

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

joeschmoew (Anonymous) says…

"Obama “faked” his birth certificate? ... As the saying goes: You can't fix stupid. And “stupid” has been listening to “ignorant.”"

And what "ignorant" has been telling "stupid" to believe is that someone who started a statement by asking 'what Obama and God had in common' was doing anything but telling a joke.

And apparently "stupid" did believe it.

Get over yourselves.

Ernest Barteldes 5 years, 5 months ago

That clock joke was actually written about Bush. You just changed the name, that's all. LAME

pace 5 years, 5 months ago

Kris Kobach’s joke is a good example of how the Republican party has lost all sense. He knew it was a scurrilous attack made by low roaders, he jumped in the gutter. Then when he had an opportunity to apoligize and to clarify what he stood for, he cravenly dodged. The Republican party use to stand for something. We have had some great republicans, I respected James Pearson, Nancy Landon Kassebaum, Bob Dole. If the Republicans want to win Kansas they are going to have to clean the dirty tricks out of their act. Kobach/Brownback are acting like curs rather than statemen.

TopJayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Aw yes, someone bad-mouths the annointed one, and it is time to start the mindless personal attacks.
Such a thin skin. Very funny.....lol

pace 5 years, 5 months ago

I have come to the conclusion the wingnuts call Obama the anointed one or savior because they believe he might be. They are wrong. they are disappointed that a fast fix isn't happening. , It will take the whole country working together to rise from the firestorm that corporate greed and official corruption has made.

Ernest Barteldes 5 years, 5 months ago

For the mess created/or facilitated by 8 years with Bush, there is no easy fix. Specially when the movers and shakers are working against a fix (read: Wall Streeters, hardcore Republicans)

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

The last 4 words of the headline say it all "Obama just a joke".