Archive for Friday, July 10, 2009

Douglas County man nervous after this week’s severe weather catches him by surprise

July 10, 2009

When Mike Perkins hears about slight chances of isolated showers or thunderstorms popping up this weekend, forgive him if he’s a little more focused this time around.

Driving into Wednesday’s unexpected black wall of weather will do that to a guy.

“It was not a 20 mph wind,” said Perkins, who had been on his way to check a job site in Lecompton when the temperature dipped, wind whipped up and precipitation changed his normally casual outlook. “I was out in it. It was raining so dang hard you had to pull over and stop. I got caught.”

The brief storm — which moved into Douglas County from the north, as part of a line that also wreaked havoc in Ottawa, before giving way to a bright sky for the afternoon — managed to uproot trees, topple a few power lines and shred dozens of tree limbs and corn stalks in the Stull and Lone Star areas of western and southwestern Douglas County.

Perkins, the county’s operations division manager for public works, saw the damage firsthand, including a half-dozen or so 30- and 40-foot-tall trees ripped out of the ground near Stull, plus a few more at Lone Star Lake. His crews have been busy this week clearing debris from roads and roadsides at the lake, having already repaired nearby road signs that were bent over by the especially swift rebuke from Mother Nature.

“It takes some serious wind to make that happen,” he said.

The National Weather Service forecasts a slight chance of thunderstorms todaySaturday in the Lawrence area. Similar conditions — a 20 percent chance of thunderstorms — also is forecast for Sunday night, Monday and Tuesday.

Perkins figures he won’t be the only one with a closer eye on the sky.

“Folks will be more aware,” he said.

Comments

Pudgy1 4 years, 9 months ago

A friend of ours parents were camping at Clinton and their camper was flipped and totalled, a $40K camper. This storm strengthened crazy fast. No storms are not unusual here but that kind of damage doesn't happen every day.

THAT'S why we have insurance. Cause sometimes, s**t just happens.

Shardwurm 4 years, 9 months ago

Well Irish...I was going to say Jesus but if I had I really would go to hell. How about I change it to read:

'my dog vomitted today and I think the splash pattern looks like Irish' ?

Would that be better?

Shardwurm 4 years, 9 months ago

In other news...my dog vomitted today and I think the splash pattern looks like Michael Jackson.

Staci Dark Simpson 4 years, 9 months ago

ridinthefence 4 years, 9 months ago

beobachter why the nastiness??? Could we be jealous he has a job or what? Go get up on the right side of the bed then be nice.

SeaFox 4 years, 9 months ago

"Local Man Paranoid"

Yup, nothing like the Journal-World for late-breaking IMPORTANT news.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 9 months ago

"They (spc.noaa.gov.) had an MD posted on this thing before it came through Douglas County if I remember correctly. I know it was in the slight outlook area." Larzia

Yes, they did. This is one of the very few gov't. fingers I trust. They do a good job.

Kansasmutt - I think this is one of those instances where the author of the article was forced to limit his words. I'm not sure the commenters realized that may be the reason. That is why I said this was an "odd angle" to take on this story. Fagan seems like a cool guy boxed in a corner on this one because of limited space.

kansasmutt 4 years, 9 months ago

WOW, lots of people ripping this guy for telling his story.I think it is good for people to keep an eye on the weather and when it happens like the other day, let people know you can get hurt in a sudden storm. This is kansas, been here my whole life and it can get bad in a few minutes. A great way to watch the wether online is www.weatherunderground.com live radar, storm info and symbols for bad storms.The best site avl online.

Jake Esau 4 years, 9 months ago

If you want to know when storms are coming...

http://www.spc.noaa.gov (National Weather Service Storm Prediction Center)

They had an MD posted on this thing before it came through Douglas County if I remember correctly. I know it was in the slight outlook area.

kusp8 4 years, 9 months ago

Was this article supposed to be written for TheOnion.com or published on April Fools?

kseagle 4 years, 9 months ago

For Christ sake, grow up and be a man!

couranna1 4 years, 9 months ago

you live in kansas moron dang

beobachter 4 years, 9 months ago

How long has this clown lived and worked in Kansas? And how did country hire him and put him in a position of authority?

George_Braziller 4 years, 9 months ago

Don't underestimate how fast the weather can change.

I was watching Channel 6 and the Weather Channel when the "microburst"/tornado came through Lawrence three years ago last March. Nothing showed up on radar even though the sky turned black.

Within 10 minutes things went from a dead calm to 80 mph winds and back down to nothing. What I was left with was $20,000 damage to my house and tree branches which had to be pulled out of the roof.

Boeing 4 years, 9 months ago

Yeah I best suggest people afraid of storms leave Kansas. Heck, that's part of the reason I moved from California TO Kansas for college...I loved storms and didn't get enough of them in the desert of SoCal.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 9 months ago

Odd angle for this article. This is Kansas. Right now, it is sunny and raining where I am at. I'm not even surprised by this. If I wake up tomorrow and my trees are down, I wouldn't be befuddled, I'd just be pissed.

/Chainsaw isn't working.

icedoverhillon14th 4 years, 9 months ago

oh my gosh, the weather changed quickly in kansas........imagine that...........