Archive for Thursday, July 9, 2009

Tiahrt’s plan to repeal federal stimulus would deepen state budget cuts

July 9, 2009

U.S. Rep. Todd Tiahrt, R-Goddard, has a bill to repeal funding under the federal stimulus.

“Thanks to unprecedented federal spending, we and our children are hundreds of billions of dollars in further debt to China,” Tiahrt said.

Of Kansas’ six-member congressional delegation, only U.S. Rep. Dennis Moore, D-Lenexa, whose district includes east Lawrence, voted for the $787 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. All five Republicans voted against it.

But Tiahrt, who is running for U.S. Senate, has ratcheted up the rhetoric, producing a campaign ad against the stimulus program that asks viewers to help him stop President Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

State officials said without the stimulus funds, Kansas would be hurting worse.

Kansas, like many states, has used money from the stimulus to prop up its budget during the recession and a record drop-off in revenue.

In the recent legislative session, lawmakers cut the budget three times, and earlier this month Gov. Mark Parkinson administered another cut.

“Without it (federal stimulus funds), we would have had to cut much deeper,” said Parkinson’s budget director Duane Goossen.

Kansas will receive between $1.8 billion and $1.9 billion over three fiscal years under the federal stimulus plan.

For example, in the current fiscal year’s budget, which started July 1, Kansas will receive approximately $200 million for Medicaid. That meant that the state was able to use $200 million in state funding for other areas of the budget.

Without that federal money, state lawmakers would have had to either cut the budget, reduce services or raise taxes.

But with the national unemployment rate at 9.5 percent and expected to go higher, Obama’s stimulus plan is coming under increasing criticism on two sides — those who think it was a waste of money, and those who say it wasn’t enough and are hinting at a second stimulus plan.

On Thursday, Vice President Joe Biden visited Ohio, where Obama’s poll numbers have dropped in recent days, to defend the administration’s economic policies.

Comments

devobrun 5 years, 12 months ago

If we had cut much deeper, we would come closer to being solvent without external support. This would make our state less dependent on somebody else, and less responsible for their problems as well.

In the long run, living in a state that is strong and responsible is a good thing. Go for it Todd.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 5 years, 12 months ago

Tiahrt is playing politics with the issue. Big surprise. The party of no has no answers. When you have a curable disease, you treat it, not throw up your hands and wait to die. And they're the ones that got us into this mess to begin with. Time to fire Tiarht. Oh wait, we're in Kansas.

Todd's on a campaign to make Kansas a blue state. So, yeah, go Todd go!

situveux1 5 years, 12 months ago

Was this a news article or an editorial? Or an "analysis?"

If Kansas had gotten no federal funds then they would have had to face the reality of the state's fiscal situation. The federal funds that Rothschild claims were so desperately needed have only prolonged the pain.

State spending increased 41% from '04 to '08. With or without federal funds, that spending pace can't be supported long term.

dweezil222 5 years, 12 months ago

Maybe Tiahrt running is a good thing. He'll be such a right-wing whackadoo that anyone even remotely moderate will hate him and vote Dem.

Godot 5 years, 12 months ago

I like the idea of repealing the stimulus plan, but Tiarht should target the clearly unconstitutional TARP first. The TARP transferred the power to appropriate (tax) and allocate (spend) from the House of Representatives to the Executive branch through the Treasury Dept. At this point, Congress can do nothing to stop Obama and Geithner from spending whatever amount they want on anything they desire. It is a travesty.

Repeal TARP, then go after the porkulous, spendulous, political favor paying so-called stimulous bill. It truly is a fraud and a scam, but it is not as dangerous to our Republic as is the TARP.

blindrabbit 5 years, 12 months ago

Looks like we're got a chance to trade one nut-case for another in the Senate (Tiarht for Brownback). Of course it looks like we will get to keep Smilin Sam at Cedarcrest. Hopefully, either Moran or Glickman can restore some sensibility by rejecting the Toddy.

yankeelady 5 years, 12 months ago

And the TARP was the brain child of the last administration. To try to cover their mistakes and help business. Credit where credit is due. We are in so deep it is going be a long slow climb out. But I prefer not to have the people who got us into this mess making things worse.

Godot 5 years, 12 months ago

It is quite right that Tiahrt plays politics with this "issue" as this "issue" was pure politics to begin with. It is all about payback. It is all pork. It is rewarding those Democrats with money stolen from our children and grandchildren

Each and every representative and senator who voted in favor of the stimulous plan should be ousted from office. They voted for the largest taxing, spending and regulatory bill in the history of our country without even reading it. They voted in favor of a bill that left "space keepers" for provisions to be added at a later date, without even knowing what the provisions would be. These so-called legislators are nothing more than derelicts, crooks, fools and frauds. Boot them all out! Then try them for treason!

Then, with new representation in Congress, impeach the corrupt president who presided over and signed this abomination of the legislative process into law.

Godot 5 years, 12 months ago

Among those who should be put on trial for treason is Dennis Moore, who voted, unquestioningly, for TARP 1, TARP 2, the Stimulous, the GM/Chrysler bailout, the supplemental budget, cap & tax, and all without knowing what was in the bills. He should resign in shame for what he has done.

Godot 5 years, 12 months ago

If states can spend at will, knowing that Congress will "stimulate" their failed budgets, where will it end? Essentially, the states that rely upon the Federal government for operating funds are printing money. They more they spend, the more fake dollars the Treasury prints to bail them out.

This is fundamentally unconstitutional.

Kookamooka 5 years, 12 months ago

Republicans hate government. Their goal, as part of their philosophy, is to dismantle government. GW systematically weakened our federal,state and local governments and now we need them more than ever! Don't listen to the Republicans. They hate America!

Godot 5 years, 12 months ago

Libertarians don't hate government; they oppose oppressive government. Limited government is essential to civil society; ubiquitous government is destructive.

Jeff Kilgore 5 years, 12 months ago

Democrat that I am, and believing that T. is showing off as a "fiscally responsible" Republican, (I wonder how he felt about the SP when it was Bush's baby), it probably is a good thing to turn it down. And I'm a teacher no less! Think about GM and Ford. GM took the money and is practically insolvent. Ford didn't and is in a better position. So while Tiahrt's refusal is pure bias, in a convoluted way, it might be for the better. After all, if this were McCain's SP, do you think he'd run the ads? No way. I'm not sure we can count on him to be any more than a naysaying hypocrite.

FarneyMac 5 years, 12 months ago

jkilgore,

Your reasoning is flawed. Ford didn't take government funds because Ford didn't ask for government funds. The "Way Forward" plan instituted several years ago by Ford increased their liquidity in anticipation of trouble ahead is what saved them. It helps that part of the plan was also to integrate many of their Euro/North American platforms, the results of which we are now seeing (Fusion, next-gen Focus and Fiesta, Transit Connect, etc). GM was much slower to respond to the market indicators (partly, but only partly, because they are/were much, much larger), and it cost them dearly.

That said, GM and Chrysler were both heading for bankruptcy, stimulus or no stimulus. What the bridge loans enabled them both to do was to reorganize things in preparation of bankruptcy. You can legitimately argue whether that was necessary or not (I personally think it was, but I understand and acknowledge the validity of the opposing arguments), but the act of taking the federal funds is not what put them into bankruptcy, as you indicated.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 5 years, 12 months ago

Godot (Anonymous) says…

"It is quite right that Tiahrt plays politics with this “issue” as this “issue” was pure politics to begin with."

Tell that to the people that have been kicked in the teeth by it. I'm sure that they would just chalk their "misfortunes" to "politics".

What if it were you?

a_flock_of_jayhawks 5 years, 12 months ago

toe (Anonymous) says…

"I say keep the spending coming. It will continue to pile debt upon future generations. A fitting legacy of idiocracy."

Hey there, chicken little. The sky is falling?

Gloom and doom from the folks that don't have an answer.

Don't worry, we'll carry you.

gogoplata 5 years, 12 months ago

Tiahart may be playing politics but hey at least he is on the right side of this one. I'd like to see more states take a stand as sovereign states independent of the Federal Government. It is time to put politics aside and see more Kansans stand up for liberty. Sadly most people I talk to and many who post on the ljworld can't get past thier partisanship.

TopJayhawk 5 years, 12 months ago

GoGo is absolutly right. We should tell the Obaminator that we would rather he take "our" money and pay the Chinese with it. It is not real money anyway. It is monopoly money that will be highly inflationary and will hurt the economy in the long run much more that if we just stood pat.
The State should be cutting the budget with a great big axe.
But our poloticians downtown are just as bad as the one's in Wahsington. They are always looking for a free lunch and will do anything to hang onto power. Let's be real, their are no free luches, and this one is going to be highly detremental to our economy, and all of our lives. And if all of you progressive Lawrence egg-heads can't see this, I suggest you retake economics 101.

TopJayhawk 5 years, 12 months ago

Flock. If I were "kicked in the teeth" by the idiocracy, I would go out and get a job. Any job. And if one didn't pay the bills, I'd get two jobs, or three.
But you just keep on whining, it's what you do best. Be self-reliant. Quit asking the government to wet-nurse everyone.

TopJayhawk 5 years, 12 months ago

Flockofcrapola. Do you know of anyone who has been "kicked in the teeth?" I bet not, you just like to sound dramatic. And hey, it must be true after all, you heard it on MSNBC, right?

a_flock_of_jayhawks 5 years, 12 months ago

TopJayhawk (Anonymous) says…

'Flockofcrapola. Do you know of anyone who has been “kicked in the teeth?”'

As a matter of fact, I do, several. Fortunately, one in particular qualified for a program to go back to school and is almost done with it. Thanks for helping them. Another is losing the business they started a couple of decades ago. I personally helped them and others.

Your name calling, hmmm, indicative of someone without a good point to make. You fail.

gsxr600 5 years, 12 months ago

So I guess when Kansas becomes immersed in more budget cuts and more jobs are lost, you won't have anyone to blame but Tiahrt.

RonBurgandy 5 years, 12 months ago

"And of the money coming to state government, most of that is going to help public schools, low-income Kansans get health care, higher education, road construction and the unemployed."

Do you think Tiahrt gives a darn about those people? Not likely.

Phillbert 5 years, 12 months ago

After reading this thread I can't imagine why the Republican Party is having such a hard time these days, what with its adherents' combination of calls for elected officials to be tried for treason and for states to effectively secede, coupled with their illogical and unfounded economic arguments, all seasoned with a dash of barely hidden racism.

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 12 months ago

I just hope Moran wins the Pub nomination. Tihart is scary.

KansasVoter 5 years, 12 months ago

Why wasn't Tiahrt concerned about george w. bush's massive deficit spending? Or about the billions of dollars that have been wasted in bush's War Of Terror? Why are republican politicians all such filthy hypocrites?

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 12 months ago

If it is so clearly unconstitutional Godot, get your lawsuit filed. Have Bronze help you out. He is such a legal expert. He could pass petitions and get other people to pay the filing fee. Or Marion. He too thinks he understands the law.

dandelion 5 years, 12 months ago

The federal government cuts taxes, so the state has to pay for all the federally mandated programs (ie, NCLB), then the state (especially, Kansas) cuts taxes, and the cities are left to pay for everything. After I get done paying my taxes, I have enough money left over to live quite well. If I got back all my tax money, I could take a nice vacation to Europe, but I then I would come back to a place where there are no police, I'd have to put out any fires at my house on my own, and I would drive on streets even worse than they are now. I like the things that my taxes provide, including concerts in the park and art on the streets. Does the government mess up at times? Yes. But how many Madoffs are still out there? Pay your taxes and quit whining. You probably have a house that would be considered a mansion in other times and in other countries. You have more material things than you know what to do with. Quit whining. And I heard Tiahart may be out next time, because the airplane industry is not happy with him. Oh, I mean the workers. But if they think about it, they outnumber the CEO's.

Mixolydian 5 years, 12 months ago

The Stimulus Bill should be repealed. I heard on CNN that stimulus money was used to finance the Michael Jackson memorial because MJ is a shovel ready project.

Rim Shot - Cymbal crash.

bad_dog 5 years, 12 months ago

Mixolydian-the Rodney Dangerfield of LJW posters.

That's right-you get no respect.

Here comes the hook from backstage-and not a moment too soon...

gogoplata 5 years, 12 months ago

Where was Todd and the other GOP Congressmen when the Bush Administration increased the Natl. Debt by 89% between 2001 and 2009? (See www.presidentialdebt.org)

Oh, I remember: they were in power, and went right along with it. Now suddenly, they don't like debt? Yeah, right.

You're right. Republicans are no friend to small government. But neither are Democrats. The sooner the people of this state realize that the huge majority of elected officials are acting contrary to the welfare of the people the better. Tiahart my be a slimy politician that could be included in that huge majority but this is one I will support him on.

MyName 5 years, 12 months ago

@gogoplata:

Tiahrt's economic "policy" is to close the barn door after the horse got out. I don't care if you think the stimulus bill was both wasteful and bad policy, all Todd is suggesting is that we somehow chase down these people and get those Federal dollars back. This is a dumb idea that would never actually be implemented, which is why he can get away with suggesting it in order to burnish his fiscal conservative credentials.

I know, how about I go back to Iraq and get them to kindly turn over all the money we spent there under the Bush years? Just give us our bullets and bombs back, we'll return them to the defense contractors and get our money back! That way I can be a fiscal conservative too!

gogoplata 5 years, 12 months ago

Both stimulus bills are wasteful and bad policies. The one under Bush and the one under Obama. Sure Iraq was a seriously stupid mistake that has to be placed on the shoulders of career politicians like Tiahart. Just don't forget that there are a lot of democrats to share the blame. I could not give a crap about partisan politics. So anything that is against more big government from either side is something I'm for.

MyName 5 years, 12 months ago

I understand that, I'm just saying that, instead of offering real suggestions (here's how we're going to fix Social Security or Medicare, or Bad Defense Department Acquisitions), Tiahrt is pandering to his base with something that sounds good and can't actually be done. That's what annoys me about this statement.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 5 years, 12 months ago

The only real reason Tiahrt is pulling this stunt is that the GOP leadership, if you can call it that, needs one of their members to put something like this out there to make hay. They probably picked him because he may be representing one of the few districts where they feel that it might not backfire at that district's ballot box in the next cycle. It's a gamble, but the risk may be smaller than other members of their party. It could backfire for Tiahrt, though, especially given the fact that they have misread the will of the electorate the last two cycles.

gogoplata 5 years, 12 months ago

I can understand that. He is a politician. And I mean that in the negative sense of the word politician.

texburgh 5 years, 12 months ago

What a great promise to Kansans, Todd! Repeal the one thing that is keeping our state semi-afloat! If you are successful in getting it repealed then we can turn those leach-like disabled folk out on the street! Shut down those completely ineffective public schools! Get those pesky highway patrolmen off the streets!

Great idea Todd!

Another reason to vote Democratic.

gogoplata 5 years, 12 months ago

I don't see to many good reasons to vote democratic or republican.

dweezil222 5 years, 12 months ago

dandelion (Anonymous) says…

========================================

If the federal government only spent money on worthwhile stuff like fire protection and police, paying taxes would be a bit more palatable. But when they drop billions of dollars on crop subsidies for farmers in Ethiopia, or grants to research whether Bigfoot actually exists, and other off-the-wall BS the government ought not be doing, then of course people are going to complain, and rightfully so.

KansasVoter 5 years, 12 months ago

dweezil222 (Anonymous) says… "If the federal government only spent money on worthwhile stuff like fire protection and police, paying taxes would be a bit more palatable. But when they drop billions of dollars on ..."

Don't forget about the billions of dollars that are MISSING in Iraq. Not just the billions of dollars that were wasted on an unnecessary war of choice, but there are literally billions of dollars unaccounted for in Iraq. If you conservatives want to complain about government waste, you need to start with the military budget.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 12 months ago

Without the stimulus, I expect the months to come would be a lot more painful as far as unemployment goes. As for Tiahrt, I'm becoming concerned about some of the people he's hanging out with. Look up C Street and the Family.

Orwell 5 years, 12 months ago

Stimulus aside, Tiahrt is a hack who aspires to membership in the C Street cult. At least Moran is an intelligent, principled conservative of the more traditional (i.e., sane) variety.

gogoplata 5 years, 12 months ago

With the stimulis we may get a quick fix for the short term but you can't inject that many dollars in to the economy and expect the dollar to retain its value. What are we going to do when the stimulis bubble bursts? It is well past time to return to sound money. I have repeatedly called my congressman to get on board with the HR1207 bill to audit the Federal Reserve. I encourage everyone who cares about about this nation to start calling them now. Stimulis spending, war spending, and a multitude of other wasteful spending policies would simply not be possible with out the Fed. The Federal Reserve is the root cause of almost all the major problems that we face today.