Archive for Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Next time you visit the treasurer’s office, bring your photo ID too

July 8, 2009

Treasurer's office requires ID

A new state effort to streamline efficiency means residents must bring ID to vehicle registration renewals. Enlarge video

It’s a good idea to make sure you have your driver’s license on your annual trip to the treasurer’s office to renew your vehicle registration.

County treasurers are making that suggestion based on an effort from the state Division of Vehicles to streamline record keeping of people and businesses that own vehicles.

“They will be pushing for consistency in those records,” Douglas County Treasurer Paula Gilchrist said.

The state is trying to modernize its vehicle records to follow federal guidelines linked to recommendations from the 9-11 Commission. The Division of Motor Vehicles is also updating its computer system.

Essentially in Kansas, the state is asking every person and agency involved in the process of vehicle purchases and registrations to be on the same page. The key is to ensure the legal name of the vehicle’s owner — a person or a business — is listed on the title.

For individuals, counties are asking to check the registration titles match the owner’s name on a driver’s license or identification card — a complete legal name with no nicknames included. For businesses, titles should match a businesses’ documentation in a federal directory.

Gilchrist said her staff members right now are only requesting residents show their driver’s license when they renew their vehicle registrations. A requirement will likely come later, she said.

“We’ll get that information into our system,” Gilchrist said. “It will probably take some cleanup work, and we may be in touch with them in the future. But for right now that’s a good start.”

“We are not going to be taking personal information in our office,” Gilchrist said. “But we do want to have some sort of information where we can specifically identify an individual who may be crossing state lines in a criminal case.”

Comments

KansasVoter 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't like this idea. What about people who can't take time off of work to go to renew their registration?

timetospeakup 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm as anti-big-brother as they came, and I'm not sure I see a big issue, KansasVoter. They are trying to clean up their records so all your paper work lists you as "Mr Kansas Voter" and not "Mister KS Voter" in some places, not a big deal.

I'm sure they'll continue to take your registration fee by mail or without ID, it's not like government to turn down money :).

KsTwister 5 years, 5 months ago

Like proof of insurance and the registration and the drivers licence number on your check isn't enough. Usually I pay for my mothers too as a surprise, guess she won't get that one. For crying out loud when is this world going to quit trying to micro manage everything right down the tube? I cannot see this is going to prove or disprove anything. Go figure, its Lawrence. Criminals will just make a new one, hence the name.

kmat 5 years, 5 months ago

KsTwister - you would need to show proof of insurance to renew your mothers. Unless you pay for her insurance too, how are you doing this without her knowing? Stealing her insurance card? Sounds a little fishy. And if you're doing it via mail (stealing her mail???), you can still do it without showing ID.

And they state this isn't a requirment. It's a request. Why do you people have an issue with showing your ID when renewing your tags unless you have something to hide?

Kat Christian 5 years, 5 months ago

This isn't anything new. Other states have been doing this for years. Maryland for one. You cannot get a car registered unless you have a valid driver's license and can show you have car insurance first. I think Lawrence needs to consolidate their driver's license office with car registration and car inspections. That way we only have to go to ONE location to legalize our driving privileges.

George_Braziller 5 years, 5 months ago

I've been the exclusive owner of the same vehicle for 13 years. I always have proof of insurance, pay my taxes and registration on time, and have a valid drivers' license with my legal name (all of which match the documents.)

I've been driving for 35+ years. They HAVE all of this information. Maybe next time I should just take a blood sample, cheek swab, and dental records to prove I am who I say I am.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

I would offer a stool sample as an alternative.

KsTwister 5 years, 5 months ago

Kmat- all of my mothers kids kidnap her bills from time to time since dad passed away and sneak off to pay them for her. Arrest me. If taxes did not eat her living expenses up so well in this town we would not have to.

deskboy04 5 years, 5 months ago

Just what we needed...to spend more time in line to renew tags.

Alexander Neighbors 5 years, 5 months ago

Just a heads up they are also linking you drivers lincense to the kansas department of revenue tax division

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

kmat, please take the "if you don't have anything to hide" comment and burn it.

compmd 5 years, 5 months ago

"She said the federal push for consistency in vehicle records stems from concerns about states being able to share information with one another in multiple-state criminal investigations involving suspected terrorists or kidnappings that require an Amber Alert." - from the article

OK, so how many suspected terrorists have been caught in the US? And kidnappings that require an Amber Alert? Great, a "think of the children" justification. Reminds me of another famous quote:

"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."

It is left as an exercise to the reader to determine the author.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

online renewal was just too easy, wasn't it. Oh well, back to the slow line.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 5 months ago

"For individuals, counties are asking to check the registration titles match the owner’s name on a driver’s license or identification card — a complete legal name with no nicknames included"

If this is needed to register a vehicle, why the heck would it not be needed to vote?

Kat Christian 5 years, 5 months ago

People, the Lawrence population is not the only people in this state. Records have to be kept and it is a privilege that we are given to drive in this country NOT A RIGHT. This country has been recording names and personal data for decades. Yes they may link our driver's license to tax records so what. IT is our duty to pay taxes - get over it because it will never change. My Mama use to say there are two things in life you can count on and that is paying taxes and dying. Complaining about it will never change this fact. it is what it is. We still have it much better in this country then most other countries. Nothing in life is perfect and you will never get perfection from any government or any person you come in contact with in life. Not even you are perfect its obvious from your complaints. Move on and live you life to the fullest and stop complaining so much.

kmat 5 years, 5 months ago

jayhawks71 (Anonymous) says…

kmat, please take the “if you don't have anything to hide” comment and burn it.

Aren't you a ray of sunshine?

Why are people scared to show their ID when registering their vehicle. Jesus H. Christ! Get over people. Do you also think the black helicopters are following you and they'll be implanting microchips when you renew your tags. The amount of paranoia is amazing from you people.

Get a life people! Big whoop-di-do, you gotta show ID. What do you have to hide if you are pissed that they want to see ID when renewing STATE issued tags. You should have an ID if you own a vehicle.

KSTwister - do what my family has done. I am on my parents bank accounts, vehicle titles, etc.... I help take care of my elderly parents and you can very easily and legally make it simple for you to take care of her bills and anything else that comes up. If you guys are already paying her bills, then what's the big deal?

Becky 5 years, 5 months ago

LOL all I can think is have any of you paid your taxes lately! I have had to show my ID every time I have paid my for my tags. This is nothing new. So why whine about it.

George_Braziller 5 years, 5 months ago

I've never had to show an ID to pay either my real estate or vehicle taxes.

Laura Wilson 5 years, 5 months ago

I pay through the mail. I'm not sending a copy of my driver's license to them through the mail! The government has that info anyway--they're the ones who issued me the license!

Until it's required, I'm not doing it. One more bit of my life the government is sticking their nose into.

And, no, it's NOT really a big deal but it's just one more step, one more thing, one more move to fingerprinting and dna printing and retinal scans and all that.

KsTwister 5 years, 5 months ago

Kmat--your the one making a big deal out of it. Her tags renew about the time of her birthday, just a little extra surprise. No big deal, usually I do mine online, hers I would have to ask for too much information......surprise over. Get it? I did not think so. Have a good life. Bet you won't get as many surprises.

kmat 5 years, 5 months ago

KsTwister - you are a really bitter person. You were the one that made a big deal out of it because if you had to show your mom's ID you couldn't look like the big man, taking care of mommy. It's only good for me if I can surprise mommy. Just step up and pay them instead of it having to be some big deal. If you do it online, you still won't have to show ID.

Good grief people.

gr 5 years, 5 months ago

Hey kmat, since you have nothing to hide,

How much do you weigh, and what is your waist size?

Alexander Neighbors 5 years, 5 months ago

I am not mad they are now using the dl for taxes all I am saying if s.o. wanted to be under the rradar then they would just not get a dl. Is that fair ?

whatadrag 5 years, 5 months ago

Who doesn't carry picture ID on them when out and about? It's handy if I need it.

Kat Christian 5 years, 5 months ago

ladyone remember it is a privilege to drive not a right. The government has allowed you that privilege so basically you are at their mercy. Heck if the government wanted to know more about your life they don't need your driver's license to find out they can just go research it and bingo you're an open book to them. So stop stressing it. This will never go away it is what it is. Deal with it and just get on with your life and live it. Good grief isn't there enough stress in ones life with day-to-day living then to add something you cannot change?