University's student health services center was evacuated Tuesday afternoon after an odor was noticed inside the building, a Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical spokeswoman said.
Division Chief Eve Tolefree said no health hazards were associated with the "sewer gas odor" at Watkins Memorial Health Center, 1200 Schwegler Drive.
About 60 people inside the building were evacuated at 12:30 p.m., while the source of the odor was investigated, said Diana Malott, assistant director at the health center.
Workers were allowed to return to the building about an hour later, after the odor was discovered to be coming from a restroom inside the building.
"They think it was coming from a drain in one of the bathrooms that had been cleaned with a real powerful cleaner," Malott said. She said it's believed the cleaner reacted with the material in the drain and caused sulfur gas to be released, causing the smell.
“Tests were run, and it was determined that gas levels were below permissible exposure limits,” said Jill Jess, university spokeswoman.