Archive for Tuesday, July 7, 2009

‘Red Dog’ to lead attempt at record-breaking workout

The Dog Days summer workout group is aiming to set a world record in Lawrence.

July 7, 2009

Reader poll
Will you take part in LiveWell Lawrence's attempt to set the world record for the largest community workout during Red Dog's Dog Days' 6 p.m. workout on Wednesday at KU’s Shenk Soccer Field Complex, Clinton Parkway and Iowa Street?

or See the results without voting

Past Event
LiveWell Lawrence World's Largest Community Workout

• When: Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 5:30 p.m. to 6:45 p.m.
  • Where: Shenk Fields, 23rd St. and Iowa
  • More on this event....

You can be a part of history Wednesday as Lawrence attempts to set a record for the world’s largest community workout.

And who better to lead the charge than the man who’s been behind the bullhorn for the past 25 years, Don “Red Dog” Gardner.

“They told me how many people they’d like to see and I about fainted,” he said, “but OK, let’s try it.”

“I think it’s a pretty neat idea,” Gardner’s wife, Bev, said. “I was surprised when they came up with it. I didn’t know if it would really work or not, but in talking with the community, the word is out all over.”

The record-setting attempt is the work of the Douglas County Community Foundation’s LiveWell Lawrence initiative. The foundation received a grant to convene a group in Lawrence to come up with ways to make it easier for Lawrence residents to become more physically active and lead healthier lifestyles.

“We thought it would be a neat way to celebrate what (Don) and Bev have done in our community to improve the health and wellness of people here,” said Chip Blaser, Douglas County Community Foundation executive director.

Organizers are expecting thousands of people to turn out at 6 p.m. Wednesday at KU’s Shenk Recreational Sports Complex at Clinton Parkway and Iowa Street. Registration starts at 5:30 p.m. All participants will be required to fill out a waiver.

The event will not officially be certified by the Guinness Book of World Records, but no current record exists.

“We will be setting a record that hopefully other communities will try to break and emulate,” Blaser said.

Comments

justforfun 5 years, 5 months ago

O.K. Setting a record when there is no current record. Hmmmm interesting.

gsxr600 5 years, 5 months ago

Meh.... I think it would mean a lot more to shatter a previous record.

Prana 5 years, 5 months ago

It has to start somewhere! How do you think records ever get made? If they don't try it, there will never be a record...make sense? Show support rather than looking for fault...or get out and join the fun!

supercowbellninja 5 years, 5 months ago

I hate to just get on here and complain, but this article left so much unanswered.

• "Red Dog" just about fainted when he was told how many people they wanted to see - what was the number?

• It takes place in the middle of the week at 5:30 on athletic fields located on possibly the busiest intersection in town, and they want thousands to attend? Yikes.

• Where should people park?

• What kind of exercise are we talking about here - jumping jacks? Push-ups? Light jogging? Something else?

• How long is this event going to last?

• If it's not certified by Guiness or anyone else for that matter, then what's the point of this "record" attempt?

supercowbellninja 5 years, 5 months ago

Goosie - Yes, I do plan to attend, and I'll be riding my bike to the event. Just wish this article elaborated on the finer points of the event. You going?

JackRapper - What is up with giving people dog biscuits for riding bikes? I pedal to work every day and have never eaten a biscuit for doing so.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 5 months ago

i agree with supercow they did leave a few details out of the article. Good luck to all that attend. I hope channel 6 tapes this event and then maybe they can send it to guinness. I do not think I could keep up with a reddog work out on a good day and here lately has not been good days for me, a mystery ankle injury, I blame the dog a rabbit and flip flops, a back injury I blame on the bed, I am forgetting the fall down the stairs that laid me up for weeks, trying to convince hubby we need a new bed, and just good old fashion lazyness on my part. To all involved goodluck and drink plenty of water.

justforfun 5 years, 5 months ago

Prana I was talking about the title of the article that reads, "Red Dog’ to lead attempt at record-breaking workout " That's all, no big deal.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 5 months ago

All ages. All fitness levels.

You will park at the "Park N Ride" lots right beside the fields. The workout lasts 45 minutes, and will have stretching, calisthenics, and a walk/run.

Everything is dependent on your fitness level. Even if you just stand and wave your arms, that is acceptable. Bring water and a towel. If you need more information and need to print a waiver, go to http://www.reddogsdogdays.org/.

Godzilla 5 years, 5 months ago

Wow....agreed Cowbell....more info would be nice....great points. The others...someone has to be the first to start a record. Picture years from now when other cities see this and want to beat it...THEN we'll really have some fun! Stop whining.....off your butts and lets set a record! I'll be the huge green monster in the corner!

aha 5 years, 5 months ago

we get your point Jack ... it is the same on every story about Dog Days.

car + workout = worthless

yeah

Danielle Brunin 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't drive an SUV and I can't speak for all Dog Days people, but there are quite a few people that I see walking and biking to Dog Days. I will have to drive there because I work outside of Lawrence and won't be back in time to walk the 23 blocks. I always park far away so that I get a nice cool down on the way to my car.

jehillia 5 years, 5 months ago

First off, the goal is to attract at least 2,000 people. Secondly, it is amazing to me what SOME people will get on here and complain about. The majority of regular everyday people who do any form of physical fitness are doing so for themselves, not for any gold medals or for a pat on the back. All they want to do is be better themselves as healthy individuals. If being active or healthy offends you that much, then don't go to the work out. But I do encourage anyone who is the least bit interested to show up, because you just might learn something about yourself and end up having a good time or at the very least, get in a quality work out. Us "health freaks" are not out to hurt or offend anyone, we encourage and support and life/the world in general would be a lot nicer if everyone took on that mentality instead of always complaining or whinning.

bankboy119 5 years, 5 months ago

Jack,

I've read all your comments on this, they all sound the same, and I still don't understand even though I'm trying.

The sidewalks on the west side of town were built wider to be used as walking/jogging trails...which they are. I'm out every morning and pass numerous people at 6AM. I've also been out until 11 at night and pass others who are walking/jogging. When I drive in the middle of the day I constantly see people who use them.

Not all of us live in apartment complexes which have workout rooms (which are not as good as the gyms in town) nor do we all have a Bowflex or weights at our homes. Why would we spend the extra time to walk/bike the 4+ miles to the gyms when it's more efficient to drive? When I go to the gym it's to lift. I don't necessarily do cardio and strength training in the same day, same for many of my friends.

Please explain how driving to a gym 4+ miles away is a bad thing and using walking/jogging trails to walk/jog is a terrible idea.

jehillia 5 years, 5 months ago

Actually Jack, I could care less about the PR. The fact they are encouraging physical fitness is the main point, the record crowd is just a "bonus". The event is free for crying out loud. If you want to walk to work or walk to the tv to turn it on, then that's what you need to do to keep yourself happy. But like I stated before...If everyone elses healthy lifestyle offends you, that's something you need to "work out" on your own. Pun intended

Linda Aikins 5 years, 5 months ago

Jack, you are a whiner. Please stay away from this. We don't need your overwhelming fitness ability and extreme knowledge on the badness of Lawrencians at this fun event.

Perhaps they are doing this because of Don's cancer and they want to have him participate in something incredible.

Alison Roberts 5 years, 5 months ago

Jack-- Your comments really dont make any sense. Cant you just support the effort Red Dog has made to get people to be more active? Each year Dog Days attracts more and more people who want to lead a more active lifestyle. What difference does it make if they go home and relax after the workout? That's better than the people who choose to not do any type of physical activity...

What is so bad about driving to a workout? How many people drive to the various gyms around Lawrence? Who cares if people dont walk to work or the store, or anywhere else for that matter? If you think the America or Lawrence are such horrible places to be simply because people drive to go workout or wear fitness apparel when they walk/jog around their neighborhoods (including the sidewalks in West Lawrence), or we have remote controls for appliances, then maybe you should leave instead of criticizing people for their choice to be more active in any capacity. At least they are making the effort. Do you own a TV with a remote, or do you get up and change the channel manually? Do you ever go out for a walk on a nice evening? Do you walk to work or incorporate walking into your everyday life? Maybe you do...maybe not... but dont criticize those who are doing what they can.

As for Dog Days, its a wonderful program with a lot of support from not only the Lawrence community, but surrounding communities as well. Red Dog brings together young and old all year round for a common goal of being more active. If you've never been to one of the work outs, you have no room to criticize or say this is all just a PR stunt. It is getting press because day in and day out the morning and evening work outs are attended by hundreds of people. It's getting press because Red Dog is a motivator and instills the values of hard work and positivity in those who attend the workouts. Everyone is supportive of eachother and of Red Dog. He has made a big difference in this community--and maybe he does deserve a little PR. Those who show up to contribute to this community workout will do so because they believe in the program and dont mind being a part of setting a record.

Get off your hippie high horse. If you dont like it, that's your problem--but keep your negativity to yourself.

BigPrune 5 years, 5 months ago

Looks like Lawrence will need to rally thousands. Here's a photo of the Nazi Sport Youth exercising during WWII. http://www.dw-world.de/image/0,,1051203_1,00.jpg

Eride 5 years, 5 months ago

Who cares about the record thing specifically, anything that mobilizes lazy people into exercising is a good thing even if it is under the false pretense of setting a "record."

Alison Roberts 5 years, 5 months ago

You just dont get it... stop talking about SUVs. Get over yourself.

Yes...WE KNOW--people use to walk everywhere--but these days its sometimes not feasible to walk everywhere so people choose to go for a walk or job after work.

Where in Lawrence is it impossible for people to incorporate basic exercise in their lives? Do the people in these areas not have feet? Do they not have the ability to take a walk or do some sit ups on their floor? I guess I dont understand where these parts of lawrence are.

Alison Roberts 5 years, 5 months ago

and I meant to say "choose to go for a walk or jog after work"

supercowbellninja 5 years, 5 months ago

Jesus, Jack - If it's so horrible here, then move already.

Also, don't forget to tell us all to get off your lawn while you're at it.

suzy 5 years, 5 months ago

Who peed in your cornflakes today Jack? If you are so concerned about this LiveWell grant, then why don't you talk with people who are part of the foundation.

Let's focus on the positive here. Our community does something that lots of other places don't do. We gather together and work out--we push each other, tell each other to keep going, and clap for each other when we finish those dreaded hill runs. Regardless of whether or not we walk, bike, drive, crawl, or fly to these sessions it brings people together to work out. I know people with cancer, multiple sclerosis, diabetes and a mulititude of other problems who look forward to these workouts and the support they receive from others.

Take a hike Jack...we're all pretty tired of seeing your comments.

suzy 5 years, 5 months ago

I bike to Dog Days, twice a day, thank you very much Jack. And I don't ever recall people running over one another to get a close parking spot. Cell phones? Look around you Jack, they are everywhere. One place you won't see them is inside Red Dog's workout. But obviously you wouldn't know that.

Boy, do you need an attitude adjustment. I hope I never have to meet you in person.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 5 months ago

If you feed a troll, it will love it. Do you want it to love it?

Alison Roberts 5 years, 5 months ago

Jack-- you still didnt answer my question about the areas in lawrence where people cant make exercise a normal part of their day....

Id love to know where they are.

Speaking of making walking a part of everyday life... there will be people at the workout tomorrow in support of the Walking School Bus Program--everyone stop by and get information about this important program!

Sheila Hooper White 5 years, 5 months ago

You can create a workout anywhere at anytime. Red Dog has helped me to see that and this is only my second session. I would love to be able to walk/jog/bike to alot of places. Unfortunately the job that I have and my kids schedules make it impossible to do this everytime. I am very thankful for what Red Dog and all is wonderful volunteers do. I think this is going to be awesome and can't wait to see the turnout!!

Sheila Hooper White 5 years, 5 months ago

Sorry, Jack, you won't get me to bite:) Have a nice life and judge all you want. Until you spend a day or week in my life you have no idea how I feel about Dog Days or Lawrence.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 5 months ago

Jack, just think how far you could have walked and how much you could have worked out in all the time you spent on this thread!