Archive for Thursday, July 2, 2009

New law: Left lane only for passing

Legislation intended to improve safety and traffic flow

A new legislation is intended to improve safety and traffic flow on Kansas highways.

July 2, 2009

Reader poll
Do you support a new Kansas law restricting a motorist's use of the left-hand lane?

or See the results without voting

There he was — that ever-so-frequent driver poking along in the left lane of the highway and tying up traffic.

“This man should’ve gotten over to the right lane,” said Eloise Kerbs, a motorist who frequently travels on Kansas Highway 10 between Lawrence and Eudora. “People were backed up behind him, and I went around him on the right side.”

In the past, it was a matter of courtesy to keep right. But on Wednesday, it became an enforceable law, and state law enforcement officers began pulling over and cracking down on left-lane hogs.

The new Right Lane Law says the left lane of a highway should be used only by motorists passing slower vehicles or preparing to turn left.

“Traffic driving in the left lane for prolonged periods does cause gridlock and backup, and it really defeats the purpose of having a multilane highway,” said Kansas Highway Patrol Trooper Edna Buttler. “You should remain in the right lane, if you’re slower traffic.”

On highways with three lanes of traffic — such as the Kansas Turnpike between Lawrence and Topeka — the law requires that motorists drive in the right or middle lanes and use only the left lane to pass.

David Wade, a Kansas driver who frequently uses highways in the state, said he was happy about the new enforcement measure because some people just didn’t understand the rules of the road.

“Too many times, people are in that inside lane and you’ve got people on the right that are passing them,” said Wade, of Overland Park, who traveled to Lawrence on Wednesday. “It’s just not safe.”

Buttler said drivers were still required to move to the inside lane when passing stopped emergency and maintenance vehicles and if traffic control devices indicated it was OK or necessary.

The new law, which was adopted by lawmakers during the most recent legislative session, applies to all highways in the state with two or more lanes of traffic in the same direction. It does not apply to stretches of highway within a city’s limits.

Buttler, who participated in enforcement and education efforts in Douglas County on Wednesday, said drivers pulled over for hanging out in the left lane would be issued a warning for the first year of the law. After June 30, 2010, violators can be issued a ticket with a hefty fine of $60, plus court costs of $86.

Troopers are hopeful the new law will prevent crashes, decrease road rage and increase the general safety of the state’s highways.

Comments

pace 5 years, 5 months ago

A good step. the next step should be an educational effort to teach people the dangers and stupidity of tail gating.

zettapixel 5 years, 5 months ago

I vote for round about driving lessons.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 5 months ago

It's about time.... always made me nervous passing on the right side of someone stupid enough to stay in the left lane.

overthemoon 5 years, 5 months ago

This is laughable. On i-70 the posted speed limit is 70, most traffic (including the Highway Patrol) moves at 75-80. The right lane is often congested with slow moving trucks and people mincing along at 65. So if you're driving between 70-75, you're passing most of the right lane traffic, but there are the people who really think they have a right to try to run you off the road if you don't want to drive ten miles/hour over the limit like they do. Will this law consider that you're going 'slow in the fast lane' at 70? 75? 80?

So you get high speed bottlenecks and a mix of speed that is really the danger on the highway. The real cause of problems on the highway, especially in the urban areas, are tail gaters. If everyone left a decent amount of room for traffic to merge and change lanes, you wouldn't get the mile long bottlenecks that happen when one car slows a bit and the whole road crowd slams on the brakes.

PrincessD 5 years, 5 months ago

All I have to say is.........Wooohooo! Finally!!!~

KLATTU 5 years, 5 months ago

On your next highway drive count the number of speeders the police aren't catching to get an idea on how effective this law will be. There are thousands of people breaking the law speeding for every single left lane hog, and the cops don't do a thing about it.

Just another example of the legislature busy working on nothing.

Music_Girl 5 years, 5 months ago

As long as I'm passing someone it's still ok? Even if I'm passing a whole line of cars? People driving slow in the far left lane bothers me too but I'm not sure how effective this law will be.

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

overthemoon (Anonymous) says…

"Will this law consider that you're going 'slow in the fast lane' at 70? 75? 80?"

If you had read the story, it says nothing about going "slow in the fast lane," it says you can only use the left lane to pass. If the right-lane traffic is moving at 30 mph you can be doing 35 without moving 'too slow.'

irnmadn88 5 years, 5 months ago

This has been in effect in Germany for years... "Drive Right!" as the saying goes... and it works very well, then again driver's education is on a whole other level.

BigPrune 5 years, 5 months ago

Does this mean state troopers who use the passing lane to try to catch oncoming speeders can no longer drive slow in the passing lane as well?

LTownBaby 5 years, 5 months ago

Overthemoon and Pogo are idiots. The law states that the left lane is for "passing," not speeding! Even if you are driving 100 and you are not passing someone, you should be driving in the right lane. You are obviously the idiots that this law had to be made for, most people have known this "road rule" for a long time and already followed it. Please re-read and then comment.

thomgreen 5 years, 5 months ago

Finally!, this has needed to be a law for a long time. I really wish they would require drivers ed for everyone before they can get a license. There seems to be an ever increasing downward spiral of basic driving knowledge.

appleaday 5 years, 5 months ago

I think overthe moon has a point. I can't tell you how many times I'm driving 78 or 79, passing a line of cars, and some big SUV is riding only a few feet from my back bumper. How about enforcing laws about tailgating as well?

jaywalker 5 years, 5 months ago

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!! Left lane is the fast lane. And please kindly inform any of our newest neighbors from south of the border.

People, if you think this is somehow a bad idea you just don't have a clue. I live in Atlanta and the incidents of road rage here have recently landed our area the distinction of the "Angriest Drivers in the U.S.". And I can guarantee that the number one contributing factor to 'road rage' is someone blocking the left lane. Well, that AND people with anger issues. This is already a law down here and there are even signs posted that say to 'Stay right except to pass'.
This isn't about someone going just fast enough to pass. This is about those that hug the left lane like it's their personal cruise lane, or who stay in the lane when space has opened to the right and they have someone driving faster behind them. Don't 'worry' about people driving 80 +, just get out of their way. They'll be past you and believe me, the road will be less congested and safer to negotiate.

conservative 5 years, 5 months ago

Good law. About time.

And the idea that you get stuck next to a person when passing them doesn't hold water. There are 5280 feet in a mile and 3600 seconds in an hour. So math tells you that even going only 1 mph faster than the car next to you means you are passing them at a rate of almost 1.5 feet per second. The average car is 20 feet long. So in 14 seconds you can move the distance of their car. If you aren't willing to go at least 1 mph faster than the car you're passing then you really shouldn't be in the left lane.

gsxr600 5 years, 5 months ago

I wonder how much of an actual impact this will have on stupid drivers. My guess is they'll still drive stupid, break the law, and nothing will happen....

I think harsher penalties for tailgaiting is far more important. On Germany's Autobahn, they don't care about speed so much as the danger of tailgaiting. It leads to far more accidents on the highway.

If America wants to make roads safer, everyone needs to change the perception of what driving is. To many, driving is part of a multi-task of everyday life.. You do it while drinking, talking on your cell phone, listening to music, and yelling at your rowdy spoiled children in the backseat. Driving should be the only focus. Just driving.

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 5 months ago

Hmmm...another pet peeve of mine is when jerks turning West onto Bob Billings from Iowa St think they can weave into the oncoming lane (of those heading South on Iowa)! I've nearly been hit head-on three or four times by those idiots! I'm sorry that North-bound traffic has blocked your access to the left-turn lane, but you do not have the right to swerve into oncoming traffic to get into the turn lane! Poor design + stupid people = my blood pressure rising!

And also, what moron designed the stretch of road in front on the new O'Reillys? The stretch with the angled turns/swerves, cut in to allow for (East-bound) traffic turning into or out of the new store? Whichever engineer was in charge of that should have been fired on the spot.

Man do I feel better having unloaded that! Hope this wasn't a threadjack, but I'd been dying to get that off my chest. Enjoy your Holiday weekend safely all.

conservative 5 years, 5 months ago

Coach Eric. I'm in complete agreement with you on both of those locations.

A center divider along that stretch of Iowa would force cars to not move into oncoming traffic trying to get past the backed up cars.

And the entire stretch of 23rd between Louisiana and Haskell needs to be redone so that there is a center turn lane the whole way. I realize some people are going to lose whats left of their yards to widen the road. But everyone has known that day was coming. That sharp turn in the road and the turn lane with room for about 1/2 of a car are disasters waiting to happen.

inklines 5 years, 5 months ago

How will they enforce this? Illinois troopers pull you over if you travel more than 1.5 miles in the passing lane. Does the Kansas law have a similar limit?

gsxr600 5 years, 5 months ago

"would be issued a warning for the first year of the law. After June 30, 2010, violators can be issued a ticket with a hefty fine of $60, plus court costs of $86."

Here's an idea: How about you give no warning, and make the violator pay a percentage of their annual income? Other places do this and it seems much more fair to everyone. Let's say, 1%. That would be $300 for people making $30,000, and $1,000 for people making $100,000 a year. This will increase government revenues, and actually make an impact on people's driving habits.

BigPrune 5 years, 5 months ago

Here's something the really works when you're behind some nimrod driving 60 in the passing lane when the speed limit is 70: turn on your left turn blinker (like you are going to pass the idiot in the median). Within seconds, the person will get over to the right. Works EVERY time.

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 5 months ago

Thanks conservative. What really gets me, regarding 23rd St, is how for years we heard the city wanted to restrict and even eliminate some access to businesses along 23rd, and then they permit crap like that! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I am disappointed.

MattressMan 5 years, 5 months ago

Been in the license renewal handbook for years but I guess there are a few privledged few who dont have to follow the rules so a law has to actually be made for them.

From the license renewal handbook "Drive in the right-hand lane: The left lane is for passing or turning."

topflight 5 years, 5 months ago

BigPrune, the law does not apply to authorized emergency, law enforcement, or highway maintenance. Under the new law, drivers may only drive in the left lane of these highways when: •Overtaking and passing another vehicle; •Preparing to make a proper left turn; •Otherwise directed by official traffic-control devices; or •Otherwise required by other provisions of law. And why is that so many people think every law is just a conspiracy to make money. This is just safer for everyone.

Chris Beilman 5 years, 5 months ago

Sounds like a move in the right direction to me. Since courtesy on the road is almost extinct these days, this might at least make people think about the way they drive and how it affects the flow of traffic. Drive defensivley and make it home alive ...

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

The evils of governmental interference seem to fade for some when it comes to the frustration of people driving too slowly.

Interesting, interesting.

ThatGirl2 5 years, 5 months ago

BigPrune (Anonymous) says…

I WISH that worked. In my experience, the person putting along in the left hand lane is just completely oblivious. Usually they have no idea I'm even behind them. What I typically see is the "huh, where did they come from" reaction when I am forced to pass on the right. And even AFTER I pass on the right, they STILL stay in the left hand lane. Unreal! I'm totally behind this law!

dajudge 5 years, 5 months ago

But, but, if my cruise control is set, then what am I supposed to do? I can't change it or my gas mileage savings won't work.

WHY 5 years, 5 months ago

Instead of waiting for the highway patrol to pull left lane drivers over let's all drive behind them and flash out lights and honk our horns until they move. That will show them.

bankboy119 5 years, 5 months ago

"There are thousands of people breaking the law speeding for every single left lane hog..."

Somehow I don't believe this KLATTU. More speeders than slow people in the left lane, yes, but 1000+:1 ratio? No.

slhix02 5 years, 5 months ago

When was the left-hand ever to be used on the highway for anything other than passing? People are completely inattentive when they drive.

jenner 5 years, 5 months ago

Gosh don't get me started on the stupid things all these self-involved drivers do on the highway nowadays... I feel like punching someone just about every time I'm on the highway! :)

You know, the German Autobahn is one of the safest highways to travel on the planet. We should adopt more of their rules: No cell phones, no radios, no eating in the car, etc. I hate driving in America! :)

mom_of_three 5 years, 5 months ago

I see some interpretation issues between drivers and the law (and the handbook). If I am driving down K-10, and I go to the left lane to pass a slow car, and I see that 1/4 ahead there is a big slow truck, am I required to go back into the right after I pass the first vehicle if only to then go back to the left lane to pass the truck? Or could I stay in the left lane until the pokey truck is passed because it's a close distance. I say stay in the left lane, as long as there isn't someone speeding up from behind. Some cop could write tickets with the interpretation left open.
But it's common sense.
And lots of people seem to lose it when they are on the road.

jaywalker 5 years, 5 months ago

It's subjective, mom of three, depends on the situation. If you've got a couple people on your tail that you know are going to travel faster than you, I'd say move over to let them by and then merge back. I doubt a cop's gonna pull you over if you're not holding anyone up and you're just waiting to pass that truck. Like I said, this is already a law down in Georgia. It's enforced intermittently, generally if you're holding up the flow or if you're just riding the lane with no one around. My mother has been guilty of doing such and got pulled over for it in Montana, I think it was.

jimmyjms 5 years, 5 months ago

Seriously, though - get the **** out of the passing lane.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 5 months ago

while i like the idea of this law, i think it isn't really going to change much. the people most often associated with inside lane driving are the elderly and out of staters. neither of which know what they're doing or where they're doing it. sure a few are going to get pulled over and ticketed. yay more funds for our state. But not much will change.

Also, with the addition of each new law, the legislature should be required to expire an old law.

local_support 5 years, 5 months ago

They better post signs on the side of the highway stating that this is now state law.

ukillaJJ 5 years, 5 months ago

It's been a German law for years in order to prevent accidents and road rage.

KansasVoter 5 years, 5 months ago

It's about time. I absolutely HATE people who drive too slow in the left lane. I tailgate them until they move to the right lane.

Chris Beilman 5 years, 5 months ago

Remember, this law does not pertain to stretches of highway within a city's limits. Anything east of K-7 is pretty much unaffected …

RonBurgandy 5 years, 5 months ago

It's funny, I've always thought that this was already law. But I guess it was just more of an unspoken rule. Of course the left lane should be for passing only.

To those that complain about people speeding getting upset at slower vehicles passing even slower vehicles, forget the speeders. If you are passing a vehicle, you have every right to be in the left lane. Otherwise get over.

staff04 5 years, 5 months ago

"I am really getting confused why there are so many people who are seemingly up in arms about this new law."

It's directly proportionate to the number of people who did not take/pass a driver's education course in the United States. Simple enough to me. I think it is a great law, if evenly enforced.

This is already the law in the state that I live in, although I personally don't know of anyone who has been stopped for it. Only problem with it here is the poor maintenance of many of the highways. I could ride in the left lane and risk $100 fine, or ride in the right lane and risk $1000 damage to my car...

Velcrow 5 years, 5 months ago

I really don't care about the right left thing. My issues is whether or not we really need another law on the books? More governement involvement of any sort tends to rub me the wrong way.

Inq 5 years, 5 months ago

I LOVE how people decide that if they are 'coasting' in the left lane and don't decide to move to the right so the people behind them can pass, that they are suddenly being tailgated. I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who lack simple common sense. For god's sake - It's illegal in many countries to hang out in the left lane. This should be the case, not only on highways, but in cities as well -

Yesterday, one of those people sans sense decided that he wanted to play games in the left lane and stop dead in front of me to try to cause an accident because he didn't want to move to the right. At that point, it was no longer about the speed that we were traveling, it becomes a power struggle and one person has suddenly decided to start using his vehicle as a deadly weapon. And no one wins when road rage takes over. The stupidity amazes me.

Calliope877 5 years, 5 months ago

Looks like logrithmic forgot to take his/her meds today... Paranoid, much?

I personally think it's about time the dumb drivers who back up traffic on the passing lane get pulled over for their stupidity.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

Read the thread of comments above if you want to see the reason for road rage. Anger FTW.

ylime3499 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm a little taken aback by this... When I was learning to drive I was told to stay in the right lane unless passing... I didn't know it was just now becoming a law. And the argument that people are "speeding" I don't think there's anyone who hasn't, and if you're aware of your surroundings (which you always should be), stop applying make up, eating, smoking, or anything that distracts you from driving... you should be fine... especially since you're a saint and don't speed! Driving is a privilege not a right, and a risk you assume getting into a car.

oohmgrover 5 years, 5 months ago

Using state and local roads isn't a right because they have to pay somehow to maintain them. If you are so concerned, take back gravel roads and spend hours longer getting to where you need to go. If not, then calm down and just follow the simple rules of the road. Besides, how often do you hear of police brutality in Kansas? Calm down on the paranoia.

1029 5 years, 5 months ago

Finally!

And to the people like overthemoon, pogo, etc (people who sound like they are part of the problem): You get in the left lane to pass, and then you get over. You do not stay in the left lane because you anticipate passing another car a quarter of a mile up the road. You move to the left and pass, you immediately get back over to the right, you move back to the left and pass, and immediately get back over....

And yes, if you're going 70-75 and feel the need to venture out into the left lane to pass trucks and other traffic moving 65-70, then be prepared to speed up to 75-80 when passing if there are other drivers going that fast who want to get around you.

So I definitely agree with Ltown baby when he/she says "Overthemoon and Pogo are idiots"

Kujay1966 5 years, 5 months ago

What idiot thought of this law. You will be spending most of the time driving in and out of the slow people on the right hand side of the road. Congradulations idiot law makers.

1029 5 years, 5 months ago

Kujay1966,

The law was made because of people/idiots who "think" the way that you do...

BMI 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm very grateful for the 3-5 lanes at various points on the pike between Topeka and Lawrence that allow most everyone who needs to a chance to use all three lanes to weave around those people who choose to go what ever speed they wish to. I just wish everyone could do it without getting a wedgie. It's a graceful unspoken ballet. You take the left, I'll take the right, and we'll be on our way around the guy on the cell phone in the middle who's dropped down to 60 and not paying attention to the fact he's just merged into three lanes of traffic doing 80 and one lane is ending and he better head to the left or he's going to die.

sarahsmilehawk 5 years, 5 months ago

I took (and passed) driver's ed in high school, and recently took the test to renew my driver's license. For years, I thought you could drive in whatever lane you wanted, as long as you weren't holding up traffic in the left lane. This "passing and turns only" stuff is news to me. Lucky for you, I almost never drive on the highway.

roger_o_thornhill 5 years, 5 months ago

Now they need to make it harder to get and keep a drivers license-i.e.driving test every (or at least every other) year, no more "open book" written tests, etc...

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

How about busting 18 wheelers for riding peoples butts?

How about busting all tailgaters?

We are talking safety are we not?

JEJ1705 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't see this "law" being very effective at all. I think it's just another excuse for them to get more money out of taxpayers.

pfunk81 5 years, 5 months ago

Exactly, this is a ridiculous and unnecessary law with an absolutely even more ridiculous fine, and I'm not surprised to see most of the knuckleheads on Ljworld agree with it!

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

K-10 could keep 10 state troopers busy daily on speed enforcement alone so the question could be how many speeding vehicles will a trooper miss?

Where is everybody going in such a hurry?

ModSquadGal 5 years, 5 months ago

Praise the heavens and pass the potatoes. It's about friggin' time this law got passed. I don't know about anyone else, but this will cut down a lot on MY road rage. Lead, follow, or GET OUT OF THE WAY!

KS 5 years, 5 months ago

Great idea. Finally! I-70 will not be a problem, but look out on Highway 10 between Lawrence and JoCO. Good grief, what are those poor folks going to do?

Kyle Reed 5 years, 5 months ago

If I was a betting man I would bet that all the "thank god, finally!" posters on here will be bitching within 2 weeks about this not being enforced. This law will change NOTHING.

While it is apparent Logrithmic is a complete loon, he/she is correct in that this is just one more reason for law enforcement to pull you over and collect taxes from you (ie. write you a ticket for those not paying attention).

gogoplata 5 years, 5 months ago

Legislation, Legislation, Legislation....

I can't stand people driving slow in the passing lane but more legislation is far far worse.

Less laws are needed not more.

kmat 5 years, 5 months ago

Those that think this law is stupid is the reason they had to make it law. Most drivers in KS would kill themselves if they lived in a large city. The drivers here are terrible!!! Most states do pull you over if you are holding up traffic in the left lane. It should be common sense, but as we know, very few in KS have that.

My mom always said she thought they gave drivers licenses away in Cracker Jack boxes in KS. The amount of people that didn't realize you are only supposed to pass in the left lane does make it sound like licenses are given out to anyone that wants one.

LA_Ex 5 years, 5 months ago

It's about time. Slower traffic should keep right unless passing emergency vehicles, construction, or disabled vehicles on the right shoulder. Even the faster moving cars should move over to the right lane once they've passed the vehicle (it's NOT the FAST lane, it's a PASSING lane)

My thoughts on 3 lane highways? The left lane is for passing, right lane is for merging traffic and excessively slow moving vehicles like military convoys and semi's. The center lane is for everyone else and where the bulk of the traffic should be.

This law is about making the highways safer and less congested. Stay in the correct lane and who cares if a car is passing you at 10mph above the speed limit. Let them on by and they will be out of your hair in a few seconds. Let the cops up the road deal with them. Reduce the road rage by letting the faster traffic pass safely and on the correct side. Staying in the left lane with a faster car on your bumper only increases his frustration and yours. Yes, tailgating is illegal and it is enforced.

gogoplata 5 years, 5 months ago

I think this law is stupid and I drive in the right lane unless I'm passing.

taurus69 5 years, 5 months ago

This law will increase my risk of an accident.  We all agree that driving at different speeds on the same direction of highway increases accidents.  Different speeds with two lanes going the same direction creates lane changes.  Making me change lanes more will increase my risk of an accident.  Each lane should have its own speed limit so there would be less lane changes.  How would you enforce that?...I don't know, I am just saying....

Take for instance the trip from Lawrence to Kansas City on K-10.  I drive 77 mph in the left lane the whole way.  I yield (change lanes) when someone faster gets behind me.  Now, if I drive 77 mph in the right lane, I have to change lanes every time I get behind someone slower than me.  I guarantee you that I will have to change lanes more from the slower cars in the right lane than yield (change lanes) to the faster cars in the left resulting in a higher risk of and accident.

Laura Wilson 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm a big amazed by the commenters saying that when you pass you should speed up and get around the person.

No, sorry. I go the speed limit. If someone is going slower in front of me, I'll pass them GOING the speed limit. If people come roaring up behind me in the left lane, that's their problem. They're the ones breaking the law, not me. If they hit me, again, they're the ones speeding and breaking the law.

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

Are you suggesting, Blue, that I would not be able to change that to "the evils of government assistance" without it maintaining the same level of meaning?

mdfraz 5 years, 5 months ago

I've only read the first ten comments and can't wait to respond.

First, no one says you have to speed to go in the left lane, or that if traffic in the right lane is too slow that you can't go around. The key is go around, and then get back in the right lane. REALLY not that complicated.

Second, If officers see a violation, they will generally stop someone for it. They cannot be everywhere, nor can they realistically stop every single person who violates the law. Guess what, if you drive more than about 5 minutes, you will probably commit some sort of violation. Do you get pulled over every five minutes?

As for tailgating, a) it IS a violation (following too closely) and can and should get a ticket a lot of the time, and b) it is oftentimes a response to someone who is blocking traffic by driving too slowly in the left lane. See a correlation here? I'm not condoning tailgating, as it is unsafe and can very quickly lead to accidents. However, there will be less of it and less road rage if/when people realize the left lane is not a cruising lane.

As it stood before yesterday, there indeed was a law that stated if you impede traffic by slow speed you could be pulled over and given a ticket. And that was a good law that just wasn't enforced. This law HOPEFULLY will be.

conservative 5 years, 5 months ago

ladyoneill

Fair enough. However if while passing the car next to you speeds up to the speed limit so that you are now creating a bottleneck. You do have a requirement to either speed up and pass them, or if you are so inclined, slow down and get behind them in the right hand lane again.

If you choose to just hang out in the left hand lane not passing them you will be in violation of the law.

Charles L Bloss Jr 5 years, 5 months ago

What needs to be changed is the law that you cannot exceed the speed limit to pass someone! That makes violators out of most of us, because you cannot safely pass anyone that way. Thank you, Lynn

mdfraz 5 years, 5 months ago

If someone speeds (or drives recklessly, or tailgates, or fails to signal, etc. etc.), they have made the choice to face the consequences if/when they get caught. What the big problem is is that there are so many drivers that feel it's THEIR responsibility to enforce the laws on the books. It's not. You don't want to speed? Fine, don't. But all the people complaining about no longer having the "freedom" to drive how they want seem to ignore that their arguments prevent other people from having that same freedom to drive how they want.

mdrndgtl 5 years, 5 months ago

They should have inserted a rider onto this that makes DWO (Driving While Old) punishable by death.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

"If you don't break the law, they can't “tax” you for it, so what, exactly is your point?"

Your word and their perception (no matter how flawed and unreliable) combined against yours. You get to prove your innocence.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

taurus69 - "Take for instance the trip from Lawrence to Kansas City on K-10. I drive 77 mph in the left lane the whole way. I yield (change lanes) when someone faster gets behind me. Now, if I drive 77 mph in the right lane, I have to change lanes every time I get behind someone slower than me."

When did they up the speed limit to 77 on K10?

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

"Privatize the highways and all these problems will go away."

haha

somedude20 5 years, 5 months ago

Boy I hope they nail those truck drivers that ride side by side on the highway for miles on end blocking both lanes.

lilyanne 5 years, 5 months ago

This law is great! Even though I don't think we need more laws, but since Humankind is losing courtesy and politeness we need to have something to remind us. So given that a few things need to be said:
First of all anyone that doesn't feel secure changing lanes while driving, shouldn't be driving. If you can't handle the responsibility of driving and everything that comes with it then you shouldn't be doing it. Secondly, for those that refuse to speed up when passing, has anyone ever thought that there might be a reason someone is speeding? maybe trying to get to a hospital to a loved one, maybe late picking up a kid and don't want to leave the kid by themselves for awhile? Maybe being late for a doctors appointment that might be ahead of your doc appointment at the same place so they are speeding so they don't hold up the doc's office anymore for anyone that has an appointment after them? So don't you think it is worth speeding up a little to get around the car you are already passing if someone behind you is in a hurry? Yes there are people that are out there to speed just to speed but so what, be courteous and speed up a little and get out of their way. My time isn't anymore precious than theirs and I would hope the same goes for everyone else. If I get in the passing lane and someone comes up behind me faster than I am driving, I speed up and get out of their way because you never know why they are in a hurry. Would you not speed up an pass if there was a cop with lights on behind you? Who are you to assume that there isn't an emergency when it isn't a cop car with lights on? Which is correlated to the other issue of tailgating.... So maybe because you have a closed mind and won't get out of the way is the reason tailgating is happening. Tailgating usually only happens for a reason, not because someone just likes to do it.

shadowbox66044 5 years, 5 months ago

Eride 5 years, 5 months ago

Most states (and other countries) have been doing this for decades, it is about time.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 5 months ago

So, whut's the big deal?

I'll be cruisin' in the left lane, 'cause when I'm drivin', I'm passing things ALL the time.

taurus69 5 years, 5 months ago

I believe the answer to somewhat safer highways is to get to more constant speeds between vehicles and reduce lane changes. Maybe give each lane a different speed limit from the slowest on the right to the fastest on the left. This is just my general way of thinking to reduce lane changes. Leave the GPS and magnetic details to the experts.

taurus69 5 years, 5 months ago

lilyanne, I would agree that if you don't feel secure about changing lanes, then you shouldn't be driving. However, I didn't state that I am not secure about it. I stated that increased changing of lanes will increase the risk of accidents.

camper 5 years, 5 months ago

I think you should also use the inside lane to allow merging traffic to enter onto the highway.

Amazing how uptight we can be about driving. And just over a couple of seconds (or minutes at the most). Does this say something about us? I don't know.

taurus69 5 years, 5 months ago

logicsound09: If what you think is true, then there would be no accidents. But there wouldn't be any drivers.

Just a quick google search:

In the United States, drivers tend to make frequent and repeated lane changes, as they weave along congested multilane highways. In light of these traffic conditions, Mazda has developed the Blind Spot Monitoring System, similar in function to the Rear Vehicle Monitoring System. It detects vehicles up to seven meters behind in the adjacent lane, where most vehicles have a blind spot, and then warns the driver of the danger of changing lanes. The system was first installed as an option in the CX-9, which was launched in 2007.

Mazda is committed to the development of safety technologies that contribute to the reduction of accidents, and also the development of driving support systems that reduce stressful surprises on the road. Through the widespread adoption of these technologies, we are contributing toward the realization of an accident-free, safe automotive society.

See, the experts are working on this.

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Calliope877 (Anonymous) says…

"Looks like logrithmic forgot to take his/her meds today… Paranoid, much?"

Have you noticed loggie does seem to be overly sensitive about the potential for law enforcement contact?

Maybe if he kept that baggie full of herbal remedies somewhere else besides the glove box under his registration...

overthemoon 5 years, 5 months ago

Well, I've been called an idiot by more than a few people here. But what I don't get is whether it is my fault if I'm driving with the average speed of traffic (usually on i-70 its about 75) and some jacka$$ (usually in a very large, gas guzzling vehicle) thinks its their road and doing 80-85 is somehow their right. They are speeding, they are tailgating, and my feeling is always that I am not going to drive faster or dangerously to accommodate them. I am, by the way, not creeping along below the speed limit. It is the people speeding that are the problem. And I am not an idiot

Sigmund 5 years, 5 months ago

overthemoon (Anonymous) says… "Well, I've been called an idiot by more than a few people here."

You can add me to the list. Driving side by side and blocking traffic is dangerous. What if the car next to you decides to swerve to miss Bambi's mother who has suddenly jump into the road or other obstacle causes the car next to you move into your lane? What if you need to swerve? Just get out of the way of traffic (slow down or speed up and move over) and quit driving side-by-side.

cozy 5 years, 5 months ago

1029 (Anonymous) says…

Finally!

Pretty sure that a cop would notice someone weaving in and out of traffic before someone that was (obviously) coming up on a slow slow vehicle in the next 1/8 mile.

overthemoon 5 years, 5 months ago

sig

Who said anything about side by side driving? Apparently, you don't drive the highways everyday like I do. There can be a line of cars going 70 or less in the right lane, and I'm in the left lane doing 75. I will not speed up to 80 for over a mile to appease the idiots who think that is their own personal speed limit. Now, on a two lane highway, yes, that's how passing works. Not on the interstate.

notjustastudent 5 years, 5 months ago

Hate to say this, cause it just sounds mean, but whether this law increases an individuals accident risk doesn't matter. It was put in place to reduce the total population's accident risk, which in a way really will help people like taurus69 and everyone else who thinks this is stupid. Sure, you might be bobbing and weaving, but everyone will be weaving in the same direction. Less braking, less issues with blindspots, less road rage. As far as making a law goes, I hate more laws too, but since people can't use common sense and it ups my risk of injury on the highway, I'm gonna be ok with this one.

Sigmund 5 years, 5 months ago

overthemoon (Anonymous) says… "Who said anything about side by side driving?"

Then I misunderstood? Simply move over for faster traffic and the problem is solved. If you cant move over then you are driving side-by-side and hopefully soon the ticket you get will show you you're an idiot.

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

overthemoon (Anonymous) says…

"Who said anything about side by side driving? Apparently, you don't drive the highways everyday like I do. There can be a line of cars going 70 or less in the right lane, and I'm in the left lane doing 75. I will not speed up to 80 for over a mile to appease the idiots who think that is their own personal speed limit."

Where is the speed limit 75? Oh, you mean it's okay for you to go over the speed limit by 5 (or more) mph, but somehow it's up to you to keep those scofflaws from going 10 over? Um, okay.

dandelion 5 years, 5 months ago

I follow the right lane rule for the most part, but if I'm speeding up to 75-80 to pass a car and another car comes up behind me doing 85-90 and starts tailgating me, I'm not going to speed up to please them. You want road rage, you've got it.

To the person who says that everyone is driving fast, because they are late, leave earlier. A buddy of mine and his wife were headed to his hometown down by Parsons. They needed to take 2 cars, because she had to return early, and he needed to stay and help out with harvest. They decided to experiment. He drove 5-10 miles over the speed limit, and she drove exactly the speed limit. He arrived there 4 minutes before she did after about 3 hours of driving. Leave 4 minutes earlier. And if you are headed to a hospital (how often does this really happen) then I expect it would be wiser to get there in one piece, instead of ending up a patient there.

gccs14r 5 years, 5 months ago

"They decided to experiment. He drove 5-10 miles over the speed limit, and she drove exactly the speed limit. He arrived there 4 minutes before she did after about 3 hours of driving."

Sounds like he had to deal with multiple idiots who wouldn't get out of the way, or he stopped for gas/food/pee breaks and she didn't. 65 mph for 3 hours is 195 miles. 195 miles at 70 mph is 2:47, 13 minutes earlier. At 75, it's 2:36, 24 minutes earlier. Four minutes after 3 hours means he averaged only 1.5 mph faster than she did. Some part of either your math or your story is way off.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

So if a driver is speeding along at 75 mph in the left lane and and a car passes on the right at 80 mph or better who is in violation of the law?

mdrndgtl 5 years, 5 months ago

The person who replies to your post is in violation...

gccs14r 5 years, 5 months ago

Both are speeding, but the guy in the left lane is also in violation of the camping rule. A cop watching this should pull over the guy in the left lane, since he can write him two citations. Passing on the right is still legal.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

taurus69-"Jayhawks71: While I understand your point, I never stated the speed limit was 77, and I never said I drive the speed limit. My point was that this law will increase my risk of an accident by making me change lanes more often based on my choice of driving."

You really didn't just use that defense did you? You choose to break the law and then complain that they pass another law that cramps your style, for the most part because you are breaking the law!? I am going to assume, probably wrongly, that you are kidding me. From a simple math standpoint, if you go the speed limit, which is some 7 miles an hour slower than you choose to drive, you will reduce the number of times you would have to change lanes with the new law; you might not have to change lanes at all if you would go the speed limit.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

taurus69-"According to a survey by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of America, accidents while changing lanes account for approximately 9% of all traffic accidents, making it the fourth most common cause of everyday accidents reported in the United States."

Can anyone guess what one of those top 3 causes is? Anyone, anyone? Speeding.

In case you didn't care to read the entire comment thread, allow me to summarize the exchange between taurus69 and me...

--taurus69- "Take for instance the trip from Lawrence to Kansas City on K-10. I drive 77 mph in the left lane the whole way." --jayhawks71-"When did they up the speed limit to 77 on K10?" --taurus69-"While I understand your point, I never stated the speed limit was 77, and I never said I drive the speed limit."

So, let me get this straight. You are fuming mad because the law might increase the 4th leading cause of car accidents (from your source), but you don't care to reduce one of the 3 more likely causes. One that is right there under the control of your right foot. Uh, ok, that makes all the sense in the world.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

Pilgrim2-"And now, if you're obstructing traffic in the left lane, so are you. Pass and get over or don't pass at all."

So Pilgrim, let me get this straight. If I am going 70 (in a 70) to pass someone going 65 or so, and you come up behind me going say, 90 and I am in your way only because you choose to go 20 over the speed limit, I am obstructing traffic? I don't think so.

Angie Dick 5 years, 5 months ago

beleive it or not I alway's thought the left lane was only for passing and that it was a law? ever since I have been driving for almost 20 yrs.. Humm guess I was wrong. MAybe it will help keep down road rage? let's hope!

gccs14r 5 years, 5 months ago

Jayhawks, therein lies the problem and the reason for the new law. You are obstructing traffic, whether you think you are or not. It's not up to you to enforce the speed limit.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

No, sorry, if I am passing someone and I am going 5 mph faster than them and going the speed limit, and you choose to go 20 over, THEREIN lies the problem, you are breaking the law. In no way would I be attempting to enforce the speed limit. I would be FOLLOWING the speed limit and LEGALLY passing someone. Even with the new law, I have yet to state anything that has broken the law. If you are going 90, you have and you are in the wrong. It really is that simple.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

gcc, I should have said this in my previous post but the core problem with your claim is that you are basing it on your perception of an intent to enforce a speed limit when all I would be doing is making a legal passing maneuver. This isn't about getting in the left lane and dropping to 65 and continuing to ride side by side with the car in the right lane in an effort to slow people down. You simply do not have to go 10 over the speed limit to pass a car in the left lane. You will get a ticket for that. There is no "but I was passing." Why did you need to go 80 to pass a car in the right lane unless that car was already going the speed limit or greater?

Newell_Post 5 years, 5 months ago

So, if I get stuck behind some dingbat going 60 mph in the left lane of the Turnpike who won't move over, can I pull him over for a citizen's arrest, cuff him, wrestle him to the ground, and taze him? It might be more effective than a warning or a $60 ticket.

9070811 5 years, 5 months ago

1029 "And to the people like overthemoon, pogo, etc (people who sound like they are part of the problem): You get in the left lane to pass, and then you get over. You do not stay in the left lane because you anticipate passing another car a quarter of a mile up the road. You move to the left and pass, you immediately get back over to the right, you move back to the left and pass, and immediately get back over…."

Thats called weaving in and out of traffic. I'm going to stick it out for the quarter of a mile.

mdrndgtl 5 years, 5 months ago

Sticking it out for a quarter of a mile is now illegal...

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

gccs14r (Anonymous) says…

"Jayhawks, therein lies the problem and the reason for the new law. You are obstructing traffic, whether you think you are or not."

Um, no, he's not, if he's legally passing. This law has nothing to do with obstructing traffic (that's a separate statute), it's about keeping to the right unless you're passing.

"... the law requires that motorists drive in the right or middle lanes and use only the left lane to pass."

Check your wording, LJW editors. You should have said "only use" not "use only" (i.e. the left lane should be used only for passing, but the left lane is not the only lane you can use for passing). It is legal to pass on the right, according to KSA 8-1517, and nothing in the recently enacted SB 145 changes that.

Incidentally, on my ride home this evening along K-10, although there were a few people still touring along on the left, it did seem like there were more cars passing and then moving back to the right lane. Maybe just a few, but this hasn't been a highly publicized law - I hadn't heard about it at all before this story.

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

Liberty one: "Jonas, you wouldn't want to know what I'd do with the education system."

Maybe not, but I did get a strange urge to start humming "The Impossible Dream."

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

From the Kansas driving hand book : Was this law necessary?

Drive in the right-hand lane: The left lane is for passing or turning.

Use your rearview mirrors: Constant checking of the traffic behind you is a nec- essary precaution in expressway driving.

Always glance at the mirror before you change lanes, and don’t forget to use the turn signal.

Two outside rearview mirrors are also advisable.

PASSING ON THE RIGHT Is permissible on one-way roadways and streets and highways marked for two or more lanes of traffic moving the same direction.

Do not drive on the shoulder to pass except during an emergency or when directed by traffic authorities.

When passing on the right, be sure to check traffic ahead and behind, and use signals to show your intention.

FOLLOWING OTHER VEHICLES The law requires that you keep a safe clearance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you.

Weather, road conditions and traffic influence this requirement.

Be able to stop or turn to avoid a collision. Use the two second rule for measuring safe following distance under normal conditions.

Under adverse conditions use the four second following rule.

Another good method is to watch the car ahead of you. When it passes some reference point, such as a telephone pole, then count “one-thousand-one, one- thousand-two’’. If you pass the same spot before you are through counting, you are following too closely.

When you are following vehicles which often stop (buses, post office vans) you should allow more following distance than usual.

When driving in bad weather, you should increase following distance 3 or 4 seconds.

Following too closely also reduces your ability to see road and traffic conditions ahead.

When you do not see what is ahead, you cannot be ready to avoid any trouble which develops.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

My rule of thumb:

Faster drivers should be ahead of me wayyyyyyyyyy far ahead.

Most vehicles on the road are not designed for the speeds in which they are traveling. Pick-ups,SUV's , large trucks,18 Wheelers, large luxury cars and many USA made small cars simply are not designed for high speed traveling.

Heading east on I-70 18 wheelers are restricted to either 55 or 60 mph and/or they must remain in the right lane in several states. Judging by the convoy like activity indicates these rules are strictly enforced. Thus not a lot of 18 wheelers ridin your butts.

somebodynew 5 years, 5 months ago

"Hey Kansas Legislators how about this slower speeds for 18 wheelers? Let's get safe."

Have you driven very much where the laws are like this??? It is a terrible idea. Think about it. Speed limit for cars is 70, trucks 60. In theory you get a line of trucks going 60 with the inner lane open for cars to go faster.

The first problem is you get a car driver going 65 who pulls out to pass the trucks, but keeps the cruise set at 65. That means the driver holds up the other cars with cruise set at legal limit of 70.

Second problem is I know the truck will not stay in line. You will have one trucker that is maybe doing 63 and he pulls out to pass, and can't speed up. Again, you back up everything.

I hate driving through states with that law.

taurus69 5 years, 5 months ago

Jayhawks71: You are right, if I chose to drive the speed limit, I should be in the right lane, and I may not have to change lanes as much. That is my point. Each lane should have its own speed limit so there would be less lane changes. However, I have been completey honest in saying how I drive and in my case, this law will make me change lanes more often and therefore put me at a higher risk of an accident.

You also stated that I was "complaining" or was "fuming mad". I think you are putting emotions in my comment that truely aren't there. This is a big problem with non voice messages. I did not use one explanation point in any of my comments nor did I use any capitalization for any words. I am only stating what this law will do to my driving choices. I am not stating this to draw an argument, I am stating this because I would like to see more research in different speeds for different lanes.

The reason I brought up the survey results is because Logicsound09 appeared to believe that changing lanes should not increase your risk of an accident. I am not starting another subject about speeding. I have stated how fast I drive, and I agree that slower speeds are safer.

From the article: - - - "It’s a controversial road rule violation that’s had people pounding their steering wheels and flashing their bright lights for years — slower drivers who have no business traveling in the inside lane." - - - -

I have stated my driving speed. I am not a slower driver. This law is putting faster speeds with the slower speeds in the same lane. It will be no different than the slower speeds currently in the inside lane. I would like to see more constant speeds in each lane.

From the article: - - -"Traffic driving in the left lane for prolonged periods does cause gridlock and backup, and it really defeats the purpose of having a multilane highway,” said Kansas Highway Patrol Trooper Edna Buttler. “You should remain in the right lane, if you’re slower traffic."- - -

But the law says all traffic fast or slow will have to be in the right lane. This creates a wider range of speeds in the same lane.

From the article: - - - “It is a safety issue,” said Buttler, KHP spokeswoman. “We’ve got more traffic, more people out on the roads, more distractions out on the roads. Slower traffic needs to remain right, so the flow of traffic is running smoothly.”- - -

Let's get more constant speeds in each lane. That will help the flow of traffic run more smoothly. And, it will create less lane changes to provide a safer highway.

cozy 5 years, 5 months ago

Pilgrim2 (Anonymous) says…

9070811 (Anonymous) says…

1029 “And to the people like overthemoon, pogo, etc (people who sound like they are part of the problem): You get in the left lane to pass, and then you get over. You do not stay in the left lane because you anticipate passing another car a quarter of a mile up the road. You move to the left and pass, you immediately get back over to the right, you move back to the left and pass, and immediately get back over….”

Thats called weaving in and out of traffic.

No, it's not. That's called passing. Weaving in and out of traffic is passing one car on the left, then another on the right, then another on the left… If all your passes are in the left lane, and all the cars you are passing are in the right lane, you are NOT “weaving in and out of traffic.”

It looks like weaving when you get back in the right lane and 2 seconds later you have to get back in the left lane. What would cause more attention to yourself? Just stay where youre at and pass the car that is 1/8 away that youre coming up on. I really doubt you would get pulled over for it because its obvious you are preparing to pass the quickly upcoming slow vehicle.

gccs14r 5 years, 5 months ago

You need to get over so that the line of cars that's stacked up behind you can get around you, too. If you camp in the left lane because there's a car up ahead you intend to pass when you get to it, you're obstructing traffic. If you're worried about being stuck in the right lane because of the number of cars behind you in the left lane, do your part to reduce the number of cars behind you by pulling right more often.

denak 5 years, 5 months ago

I haven't read all 155 messages so I don't know if this has been addressed, but just what determines a "prolonged period of time?" Is this defined in the bill? I think if I am going to end up with a $146 fine, I would like to know how Hwy patrol is going to define this.

Dena

dandelion 5 years, 5 months ago

They weren't always driving on double lane highways. They also had to drive through towns with lights. Sorry, I didn't make that clear.

camper 5 years, 5 months ago

I generally drive around 65-70 mph on K-10 and I-70, but occasionally even I (going at such an absurdly slow pace) need to pass someone. This is when I really push the envelope and increase my speed to 75 mph or so and make the pass. I get back into the right lane after leaving enough distance behind the car I just overtook. Even this short procedure, which takes a few seconds, really annoys people who are doing 80-90 mph. I guess I am one of the idiots described in the above posts.

dandelion 5 years, 5 months ago

So this law is really saying that it's ok to speed and we are providing a lane just for those people?

Joe Hyde 5 years, 5 months ago

This isn't a bad traffic law to enact. Pretty much common sense.

On divided 4-lane freeways such as K-10, many drivers (and I'm one of them) prefer to drive below the posted 70 mph speed limit as a way to increase fuel economy and extend the life of our vehicles. We enjoy staying in the right-hand lane, going slower, listening to our music, relaxing, looking at the pretty countryside we're driving through.

Even with this new law, though, the problem many of us will still face is when we go to pass someone who's going even slower than we are. Sometimes when you pass a slower vehicle there'll be a vehicle in the passing lane far behind you, someone who is doing 80 or 90 mph in a 70 mph zone. This driver has the mistaken belief that "fast lane" means they have the right to drive "illegally fast" simply because they are overtaking a line of vehicles? These drivers are real bad about zooming up behind any passing vehicle in front of them, and then tailgating.

Worse, many such tailgaiters do not wait for the vehicle they're now behind (me) to extend my lead over the vehicle I've just passed. Instead of waiting for me to complete my passing maneuver by moving back into the right-hand lane, the speeder/tailgater will suddenly cut me off and pass me on the right...often just as I'm commencing my move back into the right-hand lane. Terrifying near-miss collisions are the result, all because of the speeder's impatience and improper lane change.

Technically, you are in violation if you exceed the speed limit anytime -- even if you do so while passing a slower-moving vehicle. This legal reality is overlooked by incorrigible speeders whose behavior menaces drivers that are obeying the law. The chronic speeder equates "passing lane" with "I can go as fast as I want" lane.

My hope is that KHP troopers and county deputies will use this new law as another tool to protect those who lawfully drive below 70 mph on freeway "slow" lanes, and who don't exceed the posted speed limit even when passing someone.

This said, I totally agree that some people deliberately abuse the freeway passing lane by camping out there for very long stretches (and not for a signalled reason such as an upcoming left turn). It's good news that troopers and deputies are now authorized to ticket these drivers as well as the speeders, tailgaters and illegal lane changers.

purplesage 5 years, 5 months ago

Oh good. Another subjective way for tickets to be handed out to generate revenue.

Anyone know what the excitement was by 24/40 and 59 yesterday about 4:15. KHP passed on the left on 6th street, then tried all lanes before cutting in front of a semi to cross the river. Pretty insane - especially since there were alread 3 cohorts on the scene.

skinnee11 5 years, 5 months ago

I swear that people must have misread the new law. On a drive to Kansas City yesterday, the right lane was the proverbial "fast lane."

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

riverat (Joe Hyde) says…

"Worse, many such tailgaiters do not wait for the vehicle they're now behind (me) to extend my lead over the vehicle I've just passed. Instead of waiting for me to complete my passing maneuver by moving back into the right-hand lane, the speeder/tailgater will suddenly cut me off and pass me on the right…often just as I'm commencing my move back into the right-hand lane."

If he has enough room to pull in ahead of the car in the right lane from behind you, then pretty much by definition you had room to move back to the right before that happened.

camper (Anonymous) says…

"I guess I am one of the idiots described in the above posts."

Who's the comedian that says that - "everyone driving slower than you are is an inconsiderate moron, and everyone driving faster than you is a dangerous maniac."

gccs14r 5 years, 5 months ago

Hey, riverat and everyone else complaining about faster traffic running up on them in mid-pass, try looking over your shoulder before you pull out to see if you're being rapidly overtaken by another vehicle. If you see someone coming, wait for them to go by before you pull out.

If someone else has to slow down because you've pulled out in front of them, you've just failed to yield and are at fault. Doesn't matter if that's at a driveway, an intersection, or on a multi-lane highway.

gccs14r 5 years, 5 months ago

Liberty_One,

you might try reading Article I, Section 8, of the Constitution. The Federal authority to build roads is there.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

taurus69,

I think the law will affect you in two ways then. Perhaps you will slow down if you drive in the right lane because you will be so unhappy to continually change lanes. You CAN slow yourself down, can't you? If the speed limit were 60 how fast would you go? 67? 77? Why do you go 77? Because you can get away with it? My guess is that you'd probably go 66 because you use some sort of 10% rule. Would it pain you that much to just follow the law while driving?

taurus69 5 years, 5 months ago

logicsound09 (Anonymous) says…

Assuming that this law accomplishes what is intended—the overall safety increase from having a designated purpose for each lane (cruising in the right, passing in the left) will far outweight the marginal increase in risk from additional lane changes, because this law will theoretically increase the safety of lane changes even though it increases their frequency.

Crusing in the right lane sounds safe. But, what is the range of speed that all vehicles are crusing in that one lane unless to pass? I am going to say 65-80. That is a 15 mph range. If a 75 mph car comes up on a 70 mph car that is going to pass a 65 mph car all in one lane, it would not be safe crusing. The 70 mph car will have to look in the mirror, notice the 75 mph car, then have to watch the car in the mirror to determine how fast the car is approaching, then determine when it is safe to pass. Then hope they don't decide to make a pass at the same time causing a break pedal to be pushed and the flow of traffic interupted.
Now, let's imagine we all realized that the left lane had a higher speed limit than the right. If that 75 mph car was traveling in the left lane, the 70 mph car would look in the mirror and immediately understand that a faster traveling car was approaching in the left lane and could make a quicker decision to when it will be safe to pass the 65 mph car. There would only be 2 lane changes as apposed to 4, and there would only have to be one vehicle having to make a driving adjustment as opposed to 2. Safer driving and better traffic flow.

If this law was to make a minimum speed limit in the left lane and keep everything else the same, I would understand. But this law is saying that all vehicles going various speeds must be in the same lane unless to pass. We all travel at different speeds, group us in lanes with less variation of speed in each lane and then the word "cruising" will feel safe.

taurus69 5 years, 5 months ago

In a 60 mph zone, yes it's 66 for me. Yes, because I can get away with it. Someone give us the facts of the speed most traveled in each speed zone. I feel I blend in for the most part in the left lane speed.

The 4-lane K-10 was built as I was youngster, and riding to Kansas City in a car from Lawrence would take at least and hour or two before it was completed, from what I can remember. After it was completed, It cut that drive at least half to get to all the fun places Kansas City had to offer kids (malls, Worlds of Fun, Royals, Chiefs, cousins houses). So, I guess, looking back at it all, I want to get there faster. I love the new 59 hwy idea and I want something figured out for the SLT. (not trying to start new discussion)

gccs14r 5 years, 5 months ago

Ahh, Pogo is personally going to make up our budget shortfall from all the tickets he's going to get.

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Pogo (Anonymous) says…

"If you're going faster than 72mph and you're in the left hand lane headed towards JoCo via K-10 and you find me in front of you…..don't bother flashing your lights. I ain't changing lanes."

All of you who questioned why the law is necessary? One four-letter word: pogo.

Don't worry, pogo, I'll will be flashing my lights - it will help attract the attention of the highway patrol. Then you can explain your reasoning to them. I'm sure they'll understand you were just trying to help them out.

beatrice 5 years, 5 months ago

Move to the left to pass those on the right -- is this a metaphor for national politics or what?

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

fourth option: Pogo is an internet troll who should not be taken seriously.

gccs14r 5 years, 5 months ago

No, L_O, they do it because they must. Besides, the free flow of goods is good for Capitalism, right?

gccs14r 5 years, 5 months ago

"Third option: Pogo will be entertaining uninvited company in his trunk."

He'd have to get lots of tickets before he faces that penalty.

9070811 5 years, 5 months ago

724): yay america 4th of july drinking game. take a drink every time you hear or see a firework, finish your drink for a mention of mj or the gosselins, a shot for the words democracy,hope, freedom, terrorism

snoozey 5 years, 5 months ago

Everybody is free to drive at the speed they choose in the right lane - left is for passing. Simple democracy in action and I am thankful to see this finally being enforced. What I don't understand is how the politicos made a buck from this.

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

tumbilweed (Anonymous) says…

"That makes way more sense to me."

Thankfully, the legislature doesn't pass laws based on what makes sense to you.

beatrice (Anonymous) says…

"Move to the left to pass those on the right — is this a metaphor for national politics or what?"

I think it's an excellent metaphor, bea. Especially when you factor in the posts of those above who are staying to the left and holding everyone else back, instead of moving to the right to keep things working. They do this because of their sense of entitlement and their obsession with making others do what the ones on the left think they should do.

And don't forget, after passing, you're required to move back to the right yourself.

beatrice 5 years, 5 months ago

nota - touché! Well played. Thanks for the laugh!

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Anytime, bea. ;)

Pogo (Anonymous) says…

"the guy in the left lane doing 72mph shall be me."

Thankfully, with this new law, the guy in the shoulder with the highway patrol car parked behind it will be you ...

kansasmutt 5 years, 5 months ago

I drove 24 from Tonganoxie to Baseor Sat evening and we had 3 deuschbags drive in the left lane all the way blocking anyone from passing and causing quite the mess. Yall who talk about tailgaters. I have the cure. Install a hitch with and added lenght reciever bar. Put a large ball on it. When an idiot gets close, you hit the brakes a bit hard. :-) works nice.

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

tumbilweed (Anonymous) says…

"How is this any different?"

Because not everyone blocking the left lane is preventing people from speeding, for start.

kmat 5 years, 5 months ago

Pogo (Anonymous) says…

I don't think I'll be having any problems at all in that left lane doing the 72mph….gotta love the cruise control…..

Flash your lights! Tailgate! Makes no never mind to me….none of us should be going over 70mph on that road as it is. Be happy with the 2mph I'm giving you; sit back…enjoy your commute into JoCo…..the guy in the left lane doing 72mph shall be me. Again, you may want to try leaving for your appointments (work?) on time so you don't feel compelled to hurtle that car down the road like a bat out of hell doing well over 80mph. That's too fast….creates for a dangerous roadway. More people need to take back the roads to get the speeders. This ain't the Autobahn we got around here….

Pogo - you go become a cop then you can start enforcing laws on the road. You get in front of me doing that and I'll be calling the troopers on your ass. I've done it before on K-10 because of an unsafe driver who was harassing other drivers and it's amazing how fast a Sheriff will be on YOUR ass to remove the person who is making it dangerous for others.

You think you should be enforcing the speed limit? Last week on K-10, there was a Sheriff who was probably laughing his ass off because he was doing about 72-73 and everyone else was scared and way behind him. I finally got around the other drivers, then passed the cop and got a friendly wave from him. See, the cops don't need you enforcing the laws. They don't care if people are going up to 75-76 mph on the highway. They do it too. What they don't like are a-holes like yourself that think you can take over the highway.

Watch out, because there are many of us ready to take people like you down on K-10. Got the Sheriff and HP numbers programmed in the speed dial. They'll be happy to take your money for blocking for the passing lane. That's an easy ticket for them.

And this is the law in many states and I hope in KS they enforce it as strictly as they do out west. People do not hang out in the passing lanes out west.

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

tumbilweed (Anonymous) says…

"How long has it been since you have driven on the freeway?"

At the time of your post, it had been about 2 hours. I do it every day, an hour (or more) each way. How 'bout yourself?

As it appears many folks out there have entirely missed the point of this law, it has nothing to do with speed. It has to do with staying in the correct lane - right for traveling, left for passing. If you're in the left lane going 10 miles under the speed limit but still passing the cars in the right lane, you are not breaking the new law. If you're in the left lane going 10 miles over the speed limit but not passing anyone, you are breaking the law.

It's really not too complicated.

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Pogo (Anonymous) says…

"... one of the, many, advantages in owning a beat up car….I don't give a rip what happens to it…..when I hit the brakes it ought to be fun."

Does that old car come with a can opener?

pissedinlawrence 5 years, 5 months ago

notajayhawk, all you do on here is comment about other peoples comments, its really annoying. You really don't ever leave your apartment do you? Get a life dude!!