Archive for Saturday, January 31, 2009

Man beaten for wallet near 10th and Massachusetts streets

A man was left badly beaten in downtown Lawrence after a strong-armed robbery early Saturday morning.

January 31, 2009, 1:06 a.m. Updated January 31, 2009, 5:28 a.m.

Lawrence police officers are investigating a strong-armed robbery that left one man badly beaten Saturday morning.

Police found the victim near the intersection of 10th and New Hampshire streets and requested emergency medical response. He said that a group of four young men beat him and stole his wallet at about 12:40 a.m.

Lawrence police Sgt. Ted Bordman said that the incident occurred in the 100 block of West 10th Street near the Masonic Temple. He said the victim was transported to the hospital with severe but nonlife-threatening injuries.

The victim described the suspects as white men with medium builds and brown hair. They were wearing thick T-shirts and light winter jackets. Anybody with information about the incident can call Douglas County dispatchers at (785) 841-7210.

Comments

Steve Jacob 5 years, 10 months ago

I think I wrote this somewhere last week that it's not safe in the town weekends from 12-3 am on weekends.

Kookamooka 5 years, 10 months ago

It's the Masonic blight. I wish Compton would do something good with the building. Donate to KU so the opera department can perform on a real stage? I think it WAS the building the fine arts department used in the late 1800's?

Chris Ogle 5 years, 10 months ago

Wow, Lawrence is a rough place to be. I moving to Topeka.

nobody1793 5 years, 10 months ago

What the heck is going on in this town?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 10 months ago

The clothing description makes me think these guys are not homeless, but a group of guys that hang together a lot. They go to the same tailor, it seems.I bet this was entirely for kicks, and beer.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 10 months ago

Man beaten for wallet_____They obviously are not the smartest tacks in the box...Heck with the wallet, take the money.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 10 months ago

Quite the contrary scottie,this is proof positive that CC does not deter crime.

Haiku_Cuckoo 5 years, 10 months ago

Sounds like the gang from the book "A Clockwork Orange." Out for a bit of the old ultra-violence.

50YearResident 5 years, 10 months ago

The crooks have learned most CC people are home in bed between 1-3 AM. It's just like posting a sign in the window of a fast food resturant "No Guns" allowed here.

elevenbravo 5 years, 10 months ago

"Nothing good happens after mid-night" Herm EdwardsOne of the few things he got right.

Sparko 5 years, 10 months ago

I think cameras on Massachusetts might be a good idea. These guys will be caught in any event; they went crazy.

mochabean 5 years, 10 months ago

Of course everyone has the right to defend themselves, but those of you in favor of CC, ask yourself if you are really willing to kill someone. Even a shot to an arm or leg can cause someone to bleed to death. Are you willing to kill four people to stop the panic that will take over the group once you've shot one of them? They might run, or they might pull out their weapons too.

Juergan Mader 5 years, 10 months ago

Toe - I hardly think a homeless man would be beaten by someone wanting his "wallet" unless they just wanted the leather. It seems you think every crime is simply because a person is homeless. I suppose ignorance is bliss - at least for you.

jonas_opines 5 years, 10 months ago

"What the heck is going on in this town?"Something tells me that getting beat up by groups of boys was not exactly unheard of in the past, or in other towns.

dontcallmedan 5 years, 10 months ago

He should have been carrying a concealed cellphone.

compmd 5 years, 10 months ago

Screw concealed carry, Lawrence is an open carry city. Do you think a bunch of punks are going to come up to you if they see a hand cannon on your hip?

nobody1793 5 years, 10 months ago

"Something tells me that getting beat up by groups of boys was not exactly unheard of in the past, or in other towns."At the time of my comment, 3 of the top 4 stories were about 3 different robberies, and the 4th was ljw patting themselves on the back...

Richard Heckler 5 years, 10 months ago

Masonic Temple as a theatre for musicals of the 30's,40'&50's, all those things Hawk suggests and a place for Community Theater performances. Leave the robberies out.

greenworld 5 years, 10 months ago

I would start asking people just around the corner at the Link drop in shelter what they know. One of them with cough up the info on who did it probably. Hell everytime I drive by there they all are practically standing out in the street and glare at you when you drive by like they want to rob you. That's the first place that I would check and then move on down to New Hampshire st to the other homeless shelter. If they arent the ones getting beat up they are usually the one's doing it.

Kookamooka 5 years, 10 months ago

I wonder how long it will take for the greed mentality of the millenium to wear off and people to start donating buildings for the good of the community. Not every venture will be profitable. I'm sure Mr. Compton had an architect draw up plans to tear down the old building and build a skyrise apartment or hotel on the site. I can only hope he invested all of his captial with Bernard Madoff so hill heard little heart will melt and a nicer, kinder, gentler real estate developer will result.Thanks for the history, Hawk. It's always fascinating!

jbriggs 5 years, 10 months ago

If I were violently attacked by a group of men I would probably shoot one in the chest and wait to see if any of the others wanted to play. Concealed carry will prove to be effective after a couple people have to save themselves from being beaten to death by a group of thugs.

BoppinBoppin 5 years, 10 months ago

"hawkperchedatriverfront (Anonymous) says… No one wants my ideas, becauses they make too much sense and the bar mess downtown would have to clean up. I am telling anyone who reads this, it is time the city commission start charging each and every bar that has a police car monitoring the closing, well that bar is going to have to pay. PAY."Come on, we all know the bars are just fine. The bar I love going to is a noble establishment that has only had two of its workers sucker puch two of my friends in the back of the head off of their property, two diffrent times for minor things...... oh ya wait...I stoped going to bars downtown.the run-on is strong within this sentance