Archive for Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Victims describe shock of being robbed in Burger King drive-thru

Four KU students were robbed at gunpoint early Sunday morning at a Burger King drive-through.

January 27, 2009

They were sitting in the Burger King drive-thru lane waiting on some grub, when a 250-pound stranger came up to their car.

“He asked if he could get in the car,” said Mike Wise, who was riding in the front passenger’s seat. “Naturally, we were kind of sketched out.”

Wise said the man talked to the four Kansas University students who were inside the car through a back window that happened to be rolled down.

Then, the shady character pulled out a gun and demanded cash from them. The robbery happened at 2:15 a.m. Sunday at 1107 W. Sixth St.

“It was extremely scary,” said Wise, 20.

Police haven’t been able to track down the suspect, described as a 5-foot-10 black man with a large build and wearing a hoodie, red and blue striped shirt, a Pittsburgh Pirates baseball cap and a prominent gold chain.

Wise said he, two of his 19-year-old Sigma Chi fraternity brothers and a 20-year-old female student gave the suspect all of the money they had. A Lawrence police report said the amount wasn’t determined.

The robber then returned to the passenger’s side of the older model red car that was in line behind them and the car sped off.

Wise said the robbery put him and his friends “in a state of shock.”

Police said the victims followed the suspect’s car for a short time and from a distance. Then, Wise said, the victims went back to the fraternity house and gave their report to police.

Burger King representatives would not respond to the Lawrence Journal-World’s questions about the robbery.

The crime was recorded by the restaurant’s external cameras. Police are reviewing the footage for additional information and said images haven’t been made available to the public because of the ongoing investigation.

Anybody with information is asked to call Lawrence police dispatchers at (785) 841-7210 or Crime Stoppers at (785) 843-TIPS.

Comments

woodenfleaeater 6 years, 6 months ago

From the suspect description, my prime suspect would be Reverend Run.

bangaranggerg 6 years, 6 months ago

Why do bad things only happen to rich white Johnson County Frat boys? It's just not fair world.. just not fair.

Christine Anderson 6 years, 6 months ago

Geez, a person can't even grab a burger anymore and be safe. Question for the suspect-heh you dummass, if you needed money that badly, why not leave the gun home like a decent person, go inside BK, and apply for a job? That way, when they give you money, you will actually have the right to take it!!!

Jim Phillips 6 years, 6 months ago

Hmmmm! ...followed him for a short time. Four KU students and none of them had their cell phones handy to call the police while they were trailing him? Went back to the frat, in the 1400 block of Tennessee, to call the police?And college is supposed to be a place of "higher" learning.I don't doubt the story, just the common sense of our future leaders. I'm worried!

howie1 6 years, 6 months ago

Actually Guardian,As soon as it happened they did call the police they started to follow them, then the dispatchers told them not to follow them and to just pull over. Then they just went home, the officers then went to 1400 block of tn to talk to them about it.. It also to LKPD 20-30 minutes to notify the turnpike

woodenfleaeater 6 years, 6 months ago

Duplenty, please explain. The poster before me posted Flavor Flav, so Chuck D popped in my head.

GardenMomma 6 years, 6 months ago

Did they maybe get a plate number and track down the car's owner that way?And, you guys are dating yourself -- surely it was TI, not Run or DMC or even Biz... : )

Steve Jacob 6 years, 6 months ago

Bad things happen in this town between 12-3 AM on weekends, even at a Burger King. Notice how many "24 hour" gas stations are closed when the bars let out?

Steve Jacob 6 years, 6 months ago

Would you call police from your cell in your car if your underage and drinking?

eel 6 years, 6 months ago

In today's ca$hless society he is lucky he got any money.

1029 6 years, 6 months ago

All of those kids should have been armed. It's kind of their own fault. If at least one of them had a gun they could have have ended this criminal's reign of terror right there in the parking lot.I feel so sorry for those poor fraternity brothers. I can only imagine how terrified they must have been to have been confronted by a black man so late at night. Hopefully, their parents will sue Burger King for not providing a safe environment.There should also be a law exempting victims of a crime from getting charged with a DUI. They were essentially forced to give up the pursuit because they knew that if a cop got involved it would put the driver at risk of DUI and raise questions of where the underage passengers had been drinking at.

Chrissy Neibarger 6 years, 6 months ago

I was thinking the same thing eel, It's rare that I have anything more than a couple bucks in change on me. 1029.. how in world can this be Burger King's fault? I'm all about feeling sorry for the kids and what happened, but i seriously doubt Burger King had anything to do with it. Coulda happened at the taco bell just as well. - actually if you think about it, taco bell is slightly a bit more hidden.

jaywalker 6 years, 6 months ago

I wanna Whopper and I want it now!Seems like Lawrence gets sketchier by the year. Fleeba, Don't worry but you're making the same mistake many do concerning 1029's posts. They are always nothing more than complete sarcasm.

LooPerkinsucks 6 years, 6 months ago

Lazy bastard can't get a job, so he has to hide behind a gun and rob a bunch of young kids...

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago

I was once robbed at a Jack-in-the-Box... of my dignity...little guy... round face... sharp nose... vacant eyes...and the bastard smiled at me the whole time.

50YearResident 6 years, 6 months ago

I thought the drive through lane was only one lane and there was not enough room to pass a car to exit the drive through lane, am I wrong? The car behind you could not drive arount the one in front of him! Maybe I just remember the good old days........You could buy a burger without worry of being robbed.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 6 months ago

I used to live in the house right next to Burger King. In fact, the backside of Burger King is what I saw if I looked out my window. The most entertaining thing I ever saw was when the occupants of three cars started yelling and honking at each other while waiting in the drive-thru line one night. A passenger of one of the cars stepped out of the car and began arguing with the car behind them. Meanwhile, the cars in the front of the line begin moving forward, which allowed the car that the angry guy got out of to move forward. And move forward, it did, right over the guy's foot. It was a pretty comical scene.

classclown 6 years, 6 months ago

Unfortunately fast food drive thru crimes are on the rise. This is just the latest in a series of these crimes. Here is a video of another such burglary at a McDonalds drive thru in which they were able to identify the perpetrator.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0ZMT-...

jonas_opines 6 years, 6 months ago

Guardian (Anonymous) says… "Hmmmm! …followed him for a short time. Four KU students and none of them had their cell phones handy to call the police while they were trailing him? Went back to the frat, in the 1400 block of Tennessee, to call the police?And college is supposed to be a place of “higher” learning."2:15am at Burger King? The "Higher" part was probably the issue.Enjoy your 15, kids.

BigPrune 6 years, 6 months ago

from dictionary.comsketch (skěch) n. A hasty or undetailed drawing or painting often made as a preliminary study. A brief general account or presentation; an outline. a. A brief, light, or informal literary composition, such as an essay or a short story. b. Music A brief composition, especially for the piano. c. A short, often satirical scene or play in a revue or variety show; a skit. Informal An amusing person. v. sketched, sketch·ing, sketch·es v. tr. To make a sketch of; outline. v. intr. To make a sketch. Is "sketched" a new slang word?

shotgun 6 years, 6 months ago

Like I said before, at Burger King, "you can't always "have it your way"!

Emily Hadley 6 years, 6 months ago

I was robbed years ago near there, by a couple on foot. I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for the nostalgia.