Archive for Tuesday, January 27, 2009

State unemployment rate climbing

January 27, 2009, 7:30 a.m. Updated January 27, 2009, 11:01 p.m.

— The state jobless rate in December increased and initial claims for unemployment benefits more than doubled, the Kansas Department of Labor reported Tuesday.

And officials said the situation is expected to worsen.

“This month we see job losses in many areas of the state,” said Inayat Noormohmad, a labor economist with the Kansas Department of Labor.

“The sharp slowdown in the housing and financial sectors has caused a ‘ripple effect’ of job losses, affecting industries across the board. We expect to see additional losses in the months to come as this ‘ripple effect’ spreads,” Noormohmad said.

The Kansas unemployment rate increased to 4.9 percent in December, up from 4.8 percent from the previous month and 4 percent in December 2007.

In addition, initial claims for unemployment benefits in December were 37,482, more than double the 18,212 initial claims in December 2007.

The Douglas County unemployment rate stood at 4 percent, down from November’s rate of 4.1 percent.

Douglas County continues to perform better than the rest of the state job-wise. In October, the county’s unemployment rate was 3.8 percent, while the state’s rate was 4.5 percent, and in September, Douglas County had a jobless rate of 4.2 percent, while the state’s was 4.8 percent.

Meanwhile for December, Topeka was at 5.3 percent, and the Kansas City area, which includes Franklin, Johnson, Leavenworth, Linn, Miami, and Wyandotte counties, was at 5.6 percent.

BrianR 6 years, 10 months ago

Exactly Pogo, this is only the tip of the iceberg.

wifemotherslave 6 years, 10 months ago

Add my husband to the list he was layed off, and is now trying to apply for unemployment.

igby 6 years, 10 months ago

Brings to mind an old Merrill Haggard tune, "Rainbow stew", which we could find are selves laid off and subject too buying the "rainbow can foods brand", at the super market. I think Merrill had this in mind when he wrote the song "rainbow stew". I think the rainbow brands plant is in Oklahoma and I'm sure Haggard, had eaten his share of the rainbow label. However, we here in Lawrence, ate of the Stokley-Van Camps, label and Green Giant brands of luxury cost. There is a great difference in canned veggies and you get just what your willing to pay for and I never figured out just why the taste and the cost were correctly associated to run par to each other. Nonetheless, "rainbow brands" are in fact cheaper for a close substitute of choices. I thought of this back in the 1970's when I was a young drifter, hitch-hiking broke and hungry with only about 78 cent in my pocket. I was in Oklahoma somewhere close to Tulsa, on and off highway called the Cimmeron or something like that. I went into a store and bought a can of beans in spicy sauce and sat down on the curb with my P-38 and ate the rainbow brand for the first time. With my finger of course. Lol.

beawolf 6 years, 10 months ago

Pogo...You are wrong. I'd explain it to you, but I prefer you do your own homework. Here's a hint

Susan Mangan 6 years, 10 months ago

Edjayhawk - The Federal government extended unemployment benefits, but you still must qualify under the state requirements to receive them. The only thing that changed under the Federal extension is how long you may qualify, not the state requirements to do so.My husband has received benefits for awhile, but he will probably lose them now, for going back to school, even though he hasn't reached the new Federal time limit. In my opinion, that's stupid. Instead of sitting back and waiting for the money to run out, he's improving his chances of getting a good job by furthering his education, but he is still available for full-time work and he is still applying for jobs, while in school. I think you should still qualify, in that case, but I figured since State unemployment funds are drying up around the country, they'll reject any claim that's in a gray area.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 10 months ago

Hey wait a minute.... I didn't get counted. OH, thats right, I used to be a business owner. I don't qualify Wonder how many are like me.... fixin to get un-retired, so I can support everybody else. See ya under the bridge. .

Chris Ogle 6 years, 10 months ago

Merril- look at comment above to see what cut and paste looks like, without cut and paste.