Archive for Thursday, January 22, 2009

Lawrence man arrested on suspicion of aggravated incest

January 22, 2009, 10:52 a.m. Updated January 22, 2009, 11:54 a.m.

Lawrence police arrested a 35-year-old man on a charge of aggravated incest Wednesday, according to Douglas County Jail records.

Prosecutors accuse the suspect of engaging in sex or sodomy with his 16-year-old child between Sept. 1, 2008, and Oct. 16, 2008, according to district court documents.

“The allegation is that the crime occurred over a period of time in more than one location,” said Kim Murphree, police spokeswoman.

The suspect, who pleaded not guilty to the charge during his first court appearance Thursday afternoon, will be in court again next Thursday.

The Journal-World generally does not name suspects of sex crimes unless there is a conviction.

Comments

smarty_pants 6 years, 6 months ago

skinny 6 years, 6 months ago

That's why nobody subscribes to your paper, you fail to report the local news! You either have to go to the Topeka Capital or KC-Star to see what's going on in Lawrence or check the Douglas County Sheriff booking Web page.So tell me then why should I subscribe to your paper if you won't print the local news?

spammer89 6 years, 6 months ago

If convicted he and everyone else that is like him should have to wear a sign around their neck that says."Stay Back 100 feet convicted Pedophile"

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 6 months ago

Skinny et al,In a case of incest, it's especially important not to name the suspect. Not only does the suspect deserve his day in court, the victim also deserves not to be needlessly identified. In this case, identifying the suspect also likely identifies the victim.Jonathan KealingOnline editor

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 6 months ago

Jonathan, I do not envy you your job. You have to deal with people who have poor reading comprehension, who don't bother to actually read the article in question, or you have to repeat things over, over, over-I know I have read a million times what the rules concerning incest cases are. They are especially sensitive and demanding of everyone involved.It is not a simple matter of, this person is guilty, drag him out and justice will be done.

Terry Jacobsen 6 years, 6 months ago

jkealing is correct... the need to protect the victim is absolutely a concern. Also, why do we as Americans operate under the delusion that it is "our right" to know everything. Privacy is a right also. Unless a suspect is a danger to the community, we do not need to know who he or she is.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 6 months ago

Yep, this is incest. He might only have one kid, so you're exposing that child to a lot of public crap - the sort that most adults couldn't handle.It's our desire to feel superior, I think, that makes us gawk at Michael Jackson and perverts.

Kirk Larson 6 years, 6 months ago

You also have to consider if the charge is bogus. Wait until the conviction or you could end up ruining someone's life over a false charge. Or would you rather gather up the villagers with some torches and pitchforks. Been awhile since we had some good old fashioned mob justice.

flux 6 years, 6 months ago

I dont see anything about pedophilia spammer89, does anyone read the articles?

skinny 6 years, 6 months ago

Jonathan, You could not publish the victims name if you wanted too as the victim is a child. Juvenile information is not release to the public. I am referring to the suspect. This is a public safety matter especially for those with children who live in the area of the suspect. The information is public information and is available to all newspapers and the general public. My complaint with your paper is you guys never print suspect information and I have to either read a Topeka paper, Kansas City paper or the Sheriff's web page to get the information.So my question to you is why should I subscribe to your paper when you don't print the local news?

feeble 6 years, 6 months ago

Do you not understand what incest is? Abuse by a relative! You print the suspects name and everyone is a google or facebook search away from id'ing the victim.

skinny 6 years, 6 months ago

Feeble, Tell me, would you let your child go over to a neighbor’s house knowing the guy next door just raped his son or daughter? Would you not want to know this information to protect your children?The information is public information and readily available to anybody wanting it. The Lawrence Journal World is the only paper in the state of Kansas that I know of that does not print suspect information.

skinny 6 years, 6 months ago

nschmi04 ,You must not have any children do you? If so, I feel sorry for them for having a naive parent that does little if nothing to protest them from pedophiles!

mightyquin 6 years, 6 months ago

skinny,Incest does not necessarily mean the victim was a child. Otherwise the charge would have been different.

lovenhaight 6 years, 6 months ago

How about this. If your child has a friend whose parent has inexplicably disappeared during the course of this investigation, don't let them go to that kid's house. The point is that the suspect's identity is directly related to the victim's identity. Dense.

Dani Davey 6 years, 6 months ago

Skinny - I think everyone's point is that this guy hasn't been convicted so his name shouldn't be put out there. If you have some reason to believe that the parents of your child's friends are pedophiles, then look up the information. Like you said, it's readily available. But until this guy is convicted, there is no reason to put his name out there for people who assume guilt instead of innocence. The real question is why would you subscribe to the LJWorld when you can just read it for free online?

flux 6 years, 6 months ago

Who ever said it was a child dumb asses!

flux 6 years, 6 months ago

You idiot, thats Topeka. Were the hot bed for homosexuality, get it right.

flux 6 years, 6 months ago

Kyle Reed 6 years, 6 months ago

The dude is in jail with no bond anyway so I think you can quit worrying about all the "what ifs".

cowboy 6 years, 6 months ago

lj world , your policy on what you print and what you won't is so full of holes it is pathetic. You will print a police officer in a domestic , and run it for a few days , you won't print a pedophile , you wouldn't print the guy who was spreading aids , come on. i know I can see this on the sheriffs website but don't act high and mighty as you have not behaved that way .

Bladerunner 6 years, 6 months ago

If you worked for the journal world and thought you might be such a suspect someday...perhaps you'd have the same policy? LOL!

Confrontation 6 years, 6 months ago

The next thing you know, this guy will be opening a community garden.

flux 6 years, 6 months ago

Exactly and someone will mysteriously destroy it.

SpeedRacer 6 years, 6 months ago

Since when does a headline and a hook constitute a news story? This seems to be happening a lot at LJW.BTW, I have subscribed to the LJW for 30 years (since moving here) primarily for the comics (which are pretty disappointing anymore) the classifieds (car ads are pretty much non-existent) and for public notices (to make sure I have perceived opportunity to protest any action the city might want to take in my neighborhood). I definitely never subscribed for the journalism.

Sigmund 6 years, 6 months ago

jkealing (Jonathan Kealing) says… "In a case of incest, it's especially important not to name the suspect. Not only does the suspect deserve his day in court, the victim also deserves not to be needlessly identified. In this case, identifying the suspect also likely identifies the victim."Sorry, but your rational and the policy are seriously flawed and is designed to protect the suspect and not the victim.When the suspects name is available from other sources the victims identity is not protected. If the suspect is convicted you will release his name then and the victims identity will not be protected then. News like this gets around town and many of the victims acquaintances will know anyway. There may be other victims of this man who are not related to the suspect, but if they knew the man had been accused of sexual abuse would be more willing to talk with the police and the DA. There may be citizens who have information about the suspect that at the time had a innocent explanation but after being accused is much more sinister and needs to be investigated. While the suspect is awaiting trial the community needs to be aware the charges so that they can make decisions about their own safety and the safety of their children around the suspect. Finally and most insidiously, keeping the suspects name secret to keep the victim from being identified can perpetuate the old prejudice that the victim is somehow at fault or has something to be ashamed of, or worse the victim may feel that by keeping the accused name secret the system is protecting the accused.TJ_in_Lawrence (Anonymous) says… "Privacy is a right also."Really? I know of no right to privacy if you are accused of a crime, in fact most papers print the names of those accused of these crimes, for the reasons I discussed above.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

That's it, trash Topeka. That'll make you feel superior, unless you realize that Topeka bankrolls a third of your economy.Topeka is not a bad place to live. But, hey keep up those good ol' stereotypes, aparently they work well for all of you enlightened, progressive types out there.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Topeka will still be here, cleaning up your messes, and taking care of the less-fortunate who you deem unworthy of your progressive, bankrupt eutopia.And you will still look down on us for it. Untill it is time to collect your paycheck.

grammaddy 6 years, 6 months ago

TopJayhawk, I was born and raised in Topeka and can't see myself ever going back for anything more than a short visit. I'm not impressed with decisions made there in the last 20 years. Downtown used to be beautiful, now I'm ashamed that the State legislators have to work so close to the 'ghost town that downtown Topeka has become. The schools are a mess and gangs have taken over what were once "family neighborhoods". I hardly recognize the place where I spent my childhood. I'm so glad to have gotten my kids out when I did.

FarneyMac 6 years, 6 months ago

Speaking of inbreeding...check out these comments.

jbaby0687 6 years, 6 months ago

Whoever is mad at the paper can get over it... they aren't going to change their policies because you think they should.Everyone has their own ideas and opinions. You can share them with each other just to piss each other off or you can read the article and be done with it.Don't subscribe to the paper if you don't want to or you have other sources to read from... its as simple as that.I don't have kids... but the parents who are freaking out need to lighten up. Your kids will hate you someday for being so overbearing.AND... I know someone is going to comment to my comment because they think I'll care.

hmmm 6 years, 6 months ago

Being a child who was sexually molested by her father from the age of 6 until I was 12 I can completely understand why they do not want to provide the name to protect the victim. My Father did not live with us, he did this on visitation days. I would not want my friends and their families thinking that they could not safely come to my house. Not to mention this is not something you want every Tom, Dick and Harry to know. Kids and parents can be very mean and uncaring sometimes.On the other hand, being a Mother myself, I can completely understand the people wanting to know who this "alleged POS" is. I would want to protect my daughter as well. Being from "both sides of the street", so to speak, it leaves me with VERY mixed emotions.Now, in regards to the newspaper being a bad paper? I guess no one here has checked out the Leavenworth Times...it is a rinky dink newspaper that is VERY lax in reporting, only reports Monday through Friday (if you are lucky), only tells you what they want you to know, and now they want to charge you to read it online or send it to you in the mail, you can't even buy it over the counter anymore from what I understand. Oh, and when you could read them their obits were usually too late to attend any funerals. So, appreciate this newspaper, it truly is NOT that bad!