Archive for Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Former K-State professor, convicted murderer, says he’s been wrongfully imprisoned

Former K-State professor Tom Murray says he's not guilty of killing his wife.

January 20, 2009

A former Kansas State University professor convicted of murdering his ex-wife claims he's been wrongfully imprisoned.

Tom Murray, 52, filed the motion last week in Douglas County District Court.

Murray was convicted by a jury of first-degree murder for the 2003 murder of his ex-wife, Carmin Ross.

In the motion, Murray claims the state's DNA expert committed perjury during the trial by testifying that Murray's DNA was found in a drop of blood on a baseboard inside the victim's home.

He also claims his attorneys were incompetent for failing to consult their own DNA expert to challenge the state's witness.

Murray also argues that police illegally obtained information off the hard-drive of his computer related to Internet searches on how to kill someone and that police illegally searched his car.

Murray is currently serving a life sentence for Ross' murder.

Comments

igby 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm not defending him by no means, however, when this happened, about 2 week later I was out in the area and drove by the old RR long-pond and noticed how close the tracks were in prox. to the location and wondered if a rail-rider hopped off and was in her home when she came home that day. The car story broke and I assumed she may have stopped at a store to shop and possibly got followed home and was invaded and murdered. I was just speculating as to why she got picked out so quickly when she had just moved in a month or so before she was killed. Then I read about the book he was involved in writing and then I realized that you don't live with someone for 10 years and them be educated in BDSM as such enough to contribute to writing a definition of terms on the subject and wonder just what they were both into together or even with other partners possibly. I'm not trying to paint her black but it makes me still wonder about his involvement and his story could have merit. I been around and have had many relationships and you never know whats on your partners mind sometimes and I been astonished by some of the women I've known and several were different people to others and not the girl I thought I knew. Utterly astonished as many readers know just how things play out sometimes in relationships. Nonetheless, he may in fact be a mad idiot who is stupid enough to do this crime and expected not to get caught, but I don't think that's the case. If he did do it, I think he may have went to see her without the intent of killing her and she set him off and it just happened as a lot of relational murders do occur and he really did himself badly if this were the case in his choice of not doing a plea deal for a lessor charge. There are websites where she may have met someone that know one knows about because she could have used a remote computer under a fiction-name like those dating services that anyone can log into from a coffee shop or book store. The case did leave a lot to be wondered about.

not_so_greek 5 years, 3 months ago

and throw away those Walgreen receipts that screw up your alibi, dummy.

bizarre 5 years, 3 months ago

He is not denying that what was found on the hard drive was incriminating. Only that police obtained it illegally. Lesson here is don't google for information about killing people or write stories about killing people after you get divorced.

Pywacket 5 years, 3 months ago

Igby~ This guy was apparently very good at putting on a pleasant, respectable face. I have some friends who went to K State and took several of his classes. I think he was their dept. head or something, although I don't remember that detail for sure. Anyway, these are very smart, astute people and they say that in the time they knew the guy, he never revealed this side of himself--the potential for vicious, violent rage. Apparently, that was something he was able to keep under wraps most of the time.It's an old, sad story that a lot of people fall for someone who is very charming and personable, then find out, too late, that the person is a control freak or has a hair-trigger temper and unresolved issues.. I have no idea if that was the case in this marriage, but I'm just giving you a "for instance" to explain one way that a responsible, careful, smart woman might have gotten involved with someone who would later turn out to be a murderous pr*ck. Her relationship with him doesn't necessarily mean she "conducted her personal life" in a negligent manner or that she would go on to attract others who were bad news. In fact, I remember reading that she was engaged, at the time of her death, to someone who (as far as we know) would have been good for her and for her child. He was not in the state at the time of her death and there's no evidence that she was involved with anyone else.Murray had the motive. He made several contradictory and suspicious statements regarding his activities that day. Those facts alone would not be enough for a conviction, but I feel confident that the body of evidence heard by the jury was enough to convince them beyond doubt of his guilt. I trust that their verdict against Murray was the correct one. I agree with srj--Murray thought he was so smart that he would get away with it. He didn't. And now he's grasping at straws.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 3 months ago

Admit that you killed her, and move on (back to your cell, that is).

infinity13 5 years, 3 months ago

somebodynew - i believe this appeal is in the habeas stage, meaning he lost on his direct (first) appeal of right and now he can only argue constitutional issues such as ineffective assistance of counsel (6th amendment) or prosecutorial misconduct. he can petition this stage all the way up the united states supreme court. this could go on for several more years. it's how the courts are kept in check (so we don't end up like iraq and hang someone a week after a conviction).

somebodynew 5 years, 3 months ago

@igby -While I understand your thoughts, I can honestly say that didn't happen. As to your point about being with the professor - keep in mind there is such a thing as mental abuse/control issues and it sometimes takes years for people to figure that out and then even longer to do something about it.

igby 5 years, 3 months ago

I don't mean to be coy about the dead, but for her to be with a guy like the professor. It makes we wonder just how she conducted her personal life, away from him that is. She may have attracted the wrong guy or got the wrong peoples attention somehow and they went after her possibly. There are strange people in the world!

igby 5 years, 3 months ago

There is a possibility that someone else did the crime because there was mention of several strange cars in the drive way, some time before they found the woman. I wondered about that news report at the time and thought of just how this could of happened if in fact someone else did the crime. Could someone of followed her that day?

somebodynew 5 years, 3 months ago

@srj- trust me you hit the nail on the head. But it is not the dumb part, it is the cocky part that did him in. It almost worked, but not quite (I could expound, but not on here, since this motion has been filed). And he had a fairly good jury of his peers, several PhD's and very educated people on the jury.

macon47 5 years, 3 months ago

FRED PHELPS ISNT IN JAILAND THE ACLU SUPPORTS HIM

50YearResident 5 years, 3 months ago

Isn't it strange, not even one person in jail is guilty?

macon47 5 years, 3 months ago

the poor guy is a victim of the nazi style policethese charges were not fairwhere is the aclu?"'this man has rightsHE SAID HE WAS INNOCENT

Steve Jacob 5 years, 3 months ago

I think he thought he committed the perfect murder, and can't believe he still got convicted. He was found guilty more because the police interrogation (that HE was dumb/cocky enough to give) then anything else.

mightyquin 5 years, 3 months ago

He and O.J. should form a club that looks for the "real" killers of dead ex wives.

somebodynew 5 years, 3 months ago

OK, to me this is a bit bizzare. I could have sworn there was a ruling by the Appeals Court and he lost !!!And Pedro (can't spell his last name) and Bob Eye are incompetent ???? Then why did you spent sooooo much money for them.And just how did the police illegally search the car, when you gave permission for it ????Hopefully this will be thrown out of court very quickly so that not much time and money is wasted.

macon47 5 years, 3 months ago

tell it to obamahe promised us everything else