Archive for Friday, January 16, 2009

Drivers encounter slick roads after early morning snow

Traffic in Lawrence was a slow going Friday morning as motorists drove on North Second Street. Local roads were slick because of snow that began falling before dawn.

January 16, 2009

An early morning snow storm left Lawrence covered with about a half-inch of snow, causing an adventurous rush hour for some motorists.

Douglas County emergency dispatchers said they received numerous calls about non-injury accidents throughout Lawrence. The main trouble spots were 19th and Iowa streets and the hill at Ninth Street and Avalon Road, they said. No injury accidents had been reported.

Lawrence city workers are treating the streets. Roads in northeast Kansas were becoming snow covered and slick, according to the Kansas Department of Transportation. KDOT is monitoring the roads and treating them with a mixture of sand and salt, as needed.

The snow started falling about 3:30 a.m., and at 9:30 a.m. the snow storm was about to leave the Lawrence area, 6News meteorologist Craig Gold said.

“It was a quick shot of morning snow and that is it,” Gold said. “The afternoon should be sunny.”

If you are traveling the highways, state road conditions can be checked by calling 511 from any phone, landline or cellular.

Here are some winter driving offered by the Kansas Highway Patrol Web site:

–- Allow extra travel time for delays and slower traffic speeds.

–- Increase your distance from the vehicle in front of you.

–- Accelerate and brake gently. If you have anti-lock brakes read your owner’s manual to make sure you know how to use them.

–- Make turns gradually and slowly.

–- If your car begins to slide, steer into the swerve or in the direction you want to go. Anticipate a second skid in the opposite direction as the car straightens out.

Comments

maveric 6 years, 7 months ago

goes to show how crooked the city workers are when they get paid big bucks to do half butt work, time us city residents speak out to the crooked city commission, remember they drive city vehicles paid by us with city taxes they don't driver there own vehicles so if they get in a wreck we still pay for it out of the city taxes..... its our fault we as residents who don't speak out at city hall meetings...

gccs14r 6 years, 7 months ago

Someone hit me at 15th and Haskell this morning. I saw her coming, but had to wait my turn at the intersection before trying to get out of the way. I did get to start moving, but she tapped me anyway. Fortunately, no damage.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

Remember, no matter how much you may have paid for your vehicle, you still have to obey the laws of physics.

countrygirl 6 years, 7 months ago

How about all the idiot drivers that lump people into broad categories just stay home?

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 7 months ago

I stayed home so there but now I have to figure out how I am going to get kids home sis took mine this morning but car is not snow worthy so guess I will call and beg sis to pick them up also. On the up side getting some house work done.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 7 months ago

please most woman take extra care in bad weather it is men that think they can handle everything without changing there habits.

KU_cynic 6 years, 7 months ago

Twice today I got stuck on hills (in my four-wheel drive vehicle which negotiated the streets just fine) behind idiots driving cars that had no business being on the roads -- or at least on hills -- this morning. Specifically, I refer to 9th St east of Iowa and on 11th Street just north of Memorial Stadium. Two messages:1. All you people in light cars -- especially rear-wheel drive cars -- stay off hills you have no business attempting to climb in icy or snowy conditions.2. Can't the city realize that frequently traveled hilly streets need some priority on a morning like today? Doesn't take a genius.

countrygirl 6 years, 7 months ago

And just how are men better equiped to drive in bad weather? I didn't think that extra appendage that they have could see over the wheel.

4chewnut 6 years, 7 months ago

justfornow and informed -- I bet you two would make a really cute couple.

countrygirl 6 years, 7 months ago

I got rear-ended a couple of years ago while waiting for a light to change--by a man who didn't realize it was "that" slick. Guess I should have asked him if his brain just couldn't handle the pressure.

4chewnut 6 years, 7 months ago

small minded....small you know what.....

KCinKS 6 years, 7 months ago

I have to put my two cents worth in ....my husband, who grew up in Topeka, thinks we are having a blizzard when we get 3 inches of snow, and panics about driving...I grew up in southern Indiana and remember having drifts that all but closed most roads and I still drove without any accidents. I say when there is only a dusting, as we had today, there is no need to "clear the streets" of snow, if it is icy then sand/salt hills and intersections. Otherwise some people just need to take a course in winter driving...I would gladly teach it! :-)

countrygirl 6 years, 7 months ago

justfornow--so does the attitude come from being rear-ended by a woman?

Evan Ridenour 6 years, 7 months ago

This article makes me SO happy that I am currently in Phoenix, Arizona to run a marathon, enjoy the snow... SUCKERS!! :)

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 7 months ago

I take it back it is not a blessing in disguise house work blows and now I see how much I ignore.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 7 months ago

far fetched? Why? I did nothing I tell you nothing.

Evan Ridenour 6 years, 7 months ago

I would prefer running 26.2 miles in a city where it is a balmy 75 degrees over driving around in the snow with a bunch of loony Lawrence drivers ANY DAY! :)

GardenMomma 6 years, 7 months ago

OH! Only a HALF inch of snow! That's why they didn't plow the snow off the "arterial" streets.Does someone go out with a ruler and measure how much snow has piled up on the streets before deciding when to plow? Do they count the half inch of sand and salt that gets thrown on top?Does someone know what damage gets done to the street by scraping a plow over the roadway if there's less than an inch of snow accumulated? I'm just curious why the city will toss sand and salt on top of snow BEFORE plowing the streets. It seems like you'd want to plow (thus why the plow is on the FRONT of the truck) and then toss out sand/salt (thus why the dispenser is on the BACK of the truck). You could kill two birds with one stone. What a concept - efficiency

kmat 6 years, 7 months ago

This was not much snow at all and if you're scared to drive in this, you shouldn't be driving at all. I took country roads to work (35 miles) in a little sedan and had no issues at all. The problem is that very few people here have ever learned how to drive in bad weather. Driver's ed shouldn't be in the summer when the weather's great cuz no one learns what to do in snow.Finally, invictus admits he has no brain. You had bald tires and had no idea until you almost took out other drivers on I-70??? Ever heard of maintaining your vehicle? So you're willing to risk the lives of others because you don't take care of your car. Nice!http://www.ehow.com/how_2175977_check-tire-tread-depth.html

KsTwister 6 years, 7 months ago

Once again the county crews have outdone the city---hire them they are worth their salt. This was not what I consider to be a really terrible snow incident-----I tend to think the city streets are ignored to drum up business for auto shops and glass. Certainly one way to get sales taxes.

kmat 6 years, 7 months ago

No invictus, the roads will be safer when you get off them since you aren't smart enough to make sure your car is safe.

mom_of_three 6 years, 7 months ago

justfornow - you are a numbnut!After living in Kansas all of my life, I don't mind driving in snow at all, especially the stuff we had this morning, but it was a little slick. Even though it was only half an inch of snow, it didn't drive like it. My car had problems getting up the small hill at naismith and sunnyside on campus, and I was not the only one. I just inched up the incline, and just paused at the stop sign. Tires spun, but I wasn't pushed like a few people ahead of me.

womanwarrior 6 years, 7 months ago

justfornow (Anonymous) says…Under pressure a womens brain fails everytime and people get killed, so please stay home.Then why do women have to pay less for their car insurance. Insurance companies keep very good stats.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 7 months ago

The Original Bob:you mean to say you sent your precious offspring out into this caldron of death amd injury? 2 hell with what the school said. why weren't you at the door with your double-barrelled twin-action shotgun, keeping them safely at home, and protecting them from the foxes and the mountain lions? but of course, you don't shoot the lemurs. I hope you've learned from your mistake. you know the school can't be trusted, it is all part of a giant black helicopter conspiracy, more injuries means more action at LMH, more sales tax for the community. do you want your kids to be casualties next time?well, do ya?...okay then, I didn't think so. besides, buy your spam, flashlight and toilet paper for days like today. your family is relying on you man!***I think "Just for now" would like it if he got rear-ended" by a man. that's what I think.