Archive for Friday, January 16, 2009

Topeka man arrested on sexual exploitation of a minor charge in Baldwin City

January 16, 2009, 11:32 a.m. Updated January 16, 2009, 5:08 p.m.

— A 48-year-old Topeka man was charged Friday with sexual exploitation of a 14-year-old child, Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson’s office said.

The suspect was arrested around 10 a.m. Thursday at his Topeka home and was taken to Douglas County Jail. Baldwin City Police Chief Mike McKenna said several computers were also taken into custody from the man’s home. He said the alleged crimes involved a girl in Baldwin City.

“We believe this man had been using coercion against the teenager to take nude photos and send them to him,” McKenna said.

McKenna said Baldwin police worked in conjunction with the Topeka Police Department to make the arrest.

The man made his first appearance in court Friday, where his bond was set at $15,000, prosecutors said. He’s scheduled to return to court at 2 p.m. Tuesday.

It is Journal-World policy not to name the suspect in sex crime stories unless there is a conviction.

Comments

woodenfleaeater 6 years, 3 months ago

This kind of thing happens in Baldwin City.

KansasVoter 6 years, 3 months ago

“We believe this man had been using coercion against the teenager to take nude photos and send them to him,” said McKenna.How do you coerce someone in another town? Tell them to send nude pics or you'll come burn their house down?

mightyquin 6 years, 3 months ago

Once again LJW is short on details. How was the girl coerced? By phone? Did he travel to Baldwin and threaten her? Hardly worth the time to post the story if this is all they can give us.

notajayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

woodenfleaeater (Anonymous) says… "This kind of thing happens in Baldwin City."If you think think you live somewhere where this doesn't happen (or that there is any such place), fleaeater, I sincerely hope you don't have children depending on you for their safety.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm guessing this child needs more helpful adults in their life. I mean, I'd like to think my kid would know that they can ALWAYS come to me when there is trouble.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 3 months ago

Reading my last post... I sound like Ward Cleaver!"You know, Beave... you can always come to me and your mother..."

mightyquin 6 years, 3 months ago

You were really hard on the beaver last night Ward!!

TopJayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

It wasn't me I promise.... That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

old enough.. You are right. It usually boils down to inadequate parents... Specifically Fathers. Girls need to know that they can come to their Dads not only to keep them safe from this kind of trash, but also to build their self-esteem so that they don't crave male attention to the point of even getting into this kind of a situation. My daughter always knew this, and over the yrs, I chased more than one pig away.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 3 months ago

Those damned Topekens..... What ever happened to that Zebra Coat anyway"?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 3 months ago

Yeah. I fear we will always be vexed by the mystery of the zebra-coated bandit/male hooker. Who was he? Where did he dump the coat? Are they still on sale at Harold Penner's?Next Halloween... I'm going to be sporting a zebra coat.

weluvbowling 6 years, 3 months ago

TopJayhawk says: "Girls need to know that they can come to their Dads not only to keep them safe from this kind of trash"So, what happens when your Father is one of those pieces of trash? Who do you go to then? When he tells you that he will kill your Mom and siblings if you tell? Where do you go then?

Sharon Aikins 6 years, 3 months ago

Kids that age are naive and vulnerable. There are many ways they could be coerced. Guessing that is fodder for the trial, not the newspapers. Fear itself is a great motivator. And there are always scumbags like this guy out there to do this for their own gratification and/or profit. As much as we like to think we always know what our kids are doing, we don't, no matter how vigilant. And sometimes kids have to try something just to see if they can get away with it and then find themselves in over their heads and afraid to tell anyone.

bizarre 6 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps he coerced her with the promise of some candy and a puppy