Archive for Monday, January 12, 2009

Go!

Facebook not just for kids

January 12, 2009

Madeline Finch, of Lawrence, an avid Facebook user, left, helps teach her friend Alison Roepe how to set up a Facebook account and how to network with friends recently at Cafe Mirth, 745 N.H.

On the street

Do you have a Facebook account?

Yes, I do, to meet people, to network and to have fun.

More responses

Facebook figures

• More than 140 million active users• More than half are not in college, with the fastest-growing demographic over 25 years old• Average user has 100 friends on the site• 2.6 billion minutes are spent on Facebook each day• More than 70 percent of Facebook users are outside the United States

Source: www.facebook.com

Facebook was once the domain of college students, but today the online social network has a different face.

It’s attracting such users as 49-year-old Lawrence resident Madeline Finch, who says she’s used Facebook for the past year to keep in touch with friends and family.

“I think it’s kind of addictive, really,” Finch says. “I love it.”

It also lured 58-year-old Bonnie Hall, a Lawrence resident who checks her Facebook page about as much as she checks her e-mail.

“It’s just interesting to see what’s going on with people,” Hall says.

Since its inception, Facebook has become, shall we say, more mature.

Launched in 2004, the site initially grew rapidly among college-aged users, according to the company’s Web site.

But of the more than 140 million active users today, those in college represent less than half. And the fastest-growing demographic is aged 25 and older.

Adult users say they find appeal in many of the same features that drew the younger crowd — a unique format for staying in touch.

Some also play games, upload and share photos, or advertise.

Hall says she recently used Facebook to spread the word about her high school reunion in New York. She also uses Facebook to connect with old friends over games of Twist or Scrabble.

“I like to play blackjack on there,” she says.

Finch also enjoys the Scrabble games she plays with people from near and far.

“It’s just a very fun, kind of chit-chatty way to play a game,” she says.

For some users, Facebook has a leg up on similar programs like MySpace.

“I looked at MySpace a long time ago,” Finch says. “It just didn’t seem to be quite as user-friendly.”

Comments

Darth_Vader 5 years, 6 months ago

It is one of the biggest time wasting activities on the web.

LA_Ex 5 years, 6 months ago

Even my 64 year old parents are on Facebook.

sarahsmilehawk 5 years, 6 months ago

Facebook is the best way for me to get hold of my brother and dad, who still refuse to get cell phones. The downside is that I have to be very careful of what shows up in my profile. Pictures, wall posts, and bumper stickers that would be find for other college kids to view don't play as well to my family.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 6 months ago

I'm addicted to facebook. I love it, I check it at least once a day! As long as I can get to facebook, my yahoo mail, and ljworld on the computer I'm a happy girl! Oh and the sales ad for hobby lobby and Micheal's but those come in my email, lol.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 6 months ago

Darth_Vader (Anonymous) says… It is one of the biggest time wasting activities on the web.Alia says......as opposed to commenting about a story about facebook on the web. :~)

StirrrThePot 5 years, 6 months ago

I said I'd never get on FB and now I am. You can definitely spend too much time on it. However it has been a great tool for me to reconnect with people. The one thing you have to remember is to not make it the only way you communicate with folks. Another trap you can fall into is the "friends of friends" business...and I have a rule that if I have never met the person face-to-face (even if we have a mutal friend), I don't add them. It can get out of hand quickly and you have to ask yourself...do I really want that many people seeing my profile online? Would I really associate with them in a real life suituation? For everything good about the Internet, there are plenty of things that are bad...losing the face-to-face interaction with people and relying on the Internet for interpersonal communication is one of the bad things...

lily 5 years, 6 months ago

I resisted for a long time until family got me into it. It's a great way to get in touch with a large group of family/friends for activities etc. I don't spend a lot of time on it and don't use it as the only means of communication. I have some family members who are on it all the time and they are way past college. I've found some old friends this way too. Great for reunions.

jengaman 5 years, 6 months ago

Facebook is great...I don't know how I ever got through work without it.