Archive for Saturday, January 10, 2009

Two injured in accident at 23rd and Massachusetts

Two vehicles collided at 23rd and Massachusetts streets late Saturday, and one person suffered life threatening injuries.

January 10, 2009, 11:01 p.m. Updated January 11, 2009, 2:33 p.m.

At least two people were injured in a two-vehicle accident at 23rd and Massachusetts streets about 10:15 Saturday night.

A Chevrolet pick up truck and a maroon four-door passenger vehicle collided at the intersection, sending one person to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., with life-threatening injuries, via air ambulance, according to Lawrence Police Sgt. Mark Warren.

Both vehicles suffered heavy front-end damage.

Lawrence police were unable to provide additional information Sunday afternoon. Check back to LJWorld.com for more details as they become available.

Comments

milhouse0486 5 years, 11 months ago

I drove by the accident shortly after it happened. Car is a Mazda 6, red in color. Truck was Brown and Tan (2-Tone), mid-90s Chevy.

inglec 5 years, 11 months ago

It just amazes me how time after time the LJWorld continue to publish imcomplete stories.

John Spencer 5 years, 11 months ago

indlec, They can only print what they know or are provided, would you rather they not print anything till they are provided "All" the information so you are satisfied?Maybe they should run all their stories by you first so you can put your seal of approval on them.

Buggie7 5 years, 11 months ago

Actually wereallmonkeys I would like them not to print the story until they have all the facts, why get people worried and upset over nothing. They can sit on it a bit until all the facts come through. They have a section about accidents and can put this stuff there until the full story can be published not this rubbish. If you dont know everything dont print it.

John Spencer 5 years, 11 months ago

Actually, buggie7 I would rather know so I can avoid the area and not be a rubbernecker or get in the way of professionals trying to do their job.

Leandra Galindo 5 years, 11 months ago

From what I have noticed at this intersection there has been countless number of accidents at this intersection and something needs to done to lessen the accidents there. There needs to a turn signal for people who are turning left, and that should cut down on the accidents. The city commisioners should really look into this..what does the rest of Lawrence think about this?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

Okiegirl,contact the Traffic Safety Commission. it is their job, not to put in the d----d roundabouts they're sticking everywhere, but to examine the safety issues you are concerned about. get involved. call the city manager's office, ask when and where the Traffic Safety Commission is meeting, and go there, and speak. they oughta listen to average folks like you.

Cristy White 5 years, 11 months ago

My name is Cristy. I am the one that was life flighted to K.U. Medical center suffering from life threatening injuries. As far as I know I have a broke nose and neck, a fractured sternum, amongst several bruises and contusions in other areas. I was knocked unconscience during the accident. I am in room 08 on unit 51. I am unsure still as to how the accident went down as I had the right away to turn and the other vehicle came out of nowhere. All I remember is metal crashing against metal and being jerked forward and feeling alot of pain. I am just grateful my newborn daughter was not in the truck with me at the time. I do believe there needs to be something else put at that intersection to prevent future accidents such as this. You are welcome to call me and ask for cristy white unit 51 room 08 if you have any questions. thanks. at K.U. Medical Center

Eric Neuteboom 5 years, 11 months ago

Christy, I'm glad you're okay. Best wishes for you and the other driver. My in-laws live near that intersection, and it's a bad one for turning left. If you're wanting to turn left onto West-bound 23rd street off of Mass, you really, REALLY, have to be careful. It's a completely blocked view from all the cars waiting to turn East-bound onto 23rd street, from Mass St. A left-turn arrow would be very helpful and a needed safety addition there.