Archive for Monday, January 5, 2009

Brownback kicks off fundraising for his Kansas gubernatorial campaign

Sen. Sam Brownback speaks at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn.

January 5, 2009

McKinney sworn in as treasurer, while Brownback explores 2010 gubernatorial run

Dennis McKinney took the oath of office for state treasurer yesterday. Also, Sen. Sam Brownback is taking steps for a 2010 run for the governor's office. Enlarge video

— The 2010 race for governor got energized Monday as U.S. Sam Brownback, R-Kan., opened up his gubernatorial campaign committee for fundraising business.

“Today, I have taken the first step that will allow me to run for governor,” Brownback said in a statement. “I will continue to work hard during the coming year in the Senate to find solutions to the serious issues facing our state and the nation and focus on efforts to create jobs at home and grow our Kansas economy.”

Meanwhile, legislative veteran Dennis McKinney, a Democrat from Greensburg, was sworn into office as the new state treasurer and immediately faced the question of whether he was going to run for governor.

McKinney, the House minority leader for the past five years, was appointed treasurer by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, a Democrat, to fill the remaining two years of the term of Lynn Jenkins, a Republican who was elected to represent the 2nd Congressional District, which includes west Lawrence.

McKinney was sworn into office before a packed crowd in the Kansas House that included Sebelius and many Democratic and Republican leaders.

McKinney’s status as a possible gubernatorial candidate in 2010 shot up when Lt. Gov. Mark Parkinson announced he would not seek elective office in 2010. Sebelius is term-limited and may run for the Senate seat that Brownback is giving up.

House Democratic Leader Paul Davis, of Lawrence, said the Democratic field “is pretty wide open right now.” He said if he were to develop a short list of possible Democratic candidates, it would include McKinney, U.S. Rep. Dennis Moore, who represents the 3rd Congressional District, which includes east Lawrence, and Kansas City, Kan., Mayor Joe Reardon. He said there could be others.

The Republican Party primary could feature a duel between Brownback and three-term Secretary of State Ron Thornburgh, who had earlier filed the paperwork to run for governor.

Davis said Thornburgh would be a formidable opponent to Brownback. “Anybody who thinks Brownback is going to get anointed to this over Thornburgh is making a serious mistake,” Davis said.

Comments

yankeelady 5 years, 11 months ago

oh goodie, Brownback is one of the last people we need for governor. 3 steps backwards.

63BC 5 years, 11 months ago

Sounds like the Democrats are afraid of Brownback.

Danimal 5 years, 11 months ago

See here's the thing, as much as I dislike Kathleen Sebelius, I like Brownback even less. Unfortunately, the people of Kansas love him. At least he'll be more pro-business and try to keep taxes down?

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

“My first job is to be a good state treasurer. If I don’t do well in this job, then I don’t run for anything later on,” McKinney said. He added: “I come from a farming background. I have to have the 2009 crop in the bin before I worry about the 2010 crop.”~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I like this man's thinking!

labmonkey 5 years, 11 months ago

Noooooo. All he is going to do is get another damn Democrat elected governor. You Dems should be jumping with glee that he is running.

Confrontation 5 years, 11 months ago

Sadly, the citizens of Kansas are stupid enough to vote for Scam Brokeback.

labmonkey 5 years, 11 months ago

Beo and Con-How the hell do you think we got Kathy? Kansans for Life did a hack job on Knight in 2002, and all the religious fanatics voted for Schallenberger (sic?). In the general election, the moderates voted for Kathy because Schallenberger was too much to stomach. I am pro-life, but that Knight hack-job pisses me off to this day.

labmonkey 5 years, 11 months ago

You are very niave if you think that....plus you contradict your previous comment about Kansans not voting in their best interests if you believe that (or maybe you are just using Kathy as an example of your previous statement).

labmonkey 5 years, 11 months ago

But you said that Kansans don't vote in their best interest, so which way is it Beo? It isn't in their best interest when they don't agree with you, is that not it? She was elected because she ran against a conservative whack-job and reelected because the Republicans didn't really try too hard in the next election. A moderate Republican would have easily beat her.

labmonkey 5 years, 11 months ago

But you still made a blanket statement about all Kansans being too stupid to vote in their best interest... You still contradicted yourself and look about as bright as Tom. Hell, at least he is consistent in his stupidity.

labmonkey 5 years, 11 months ago

Beobatcher says:"Confrontation, unfortunately I think you hit the mark with that post. Kansans have never been known to vote for their best interests, only their stupid religious beliefs and that's what Sam caters to. If he got elected, we would be having daily prayer sessions and foot washings in governors office."Beobatcher says four posts later:"I for one think Sibelius was elected and then re-elected because she was the best candidate."Beobatchers says two posts after that:"She was elected and then easily re-elected. Apparently most voters felt that was in their best interest."You either contradicted yourself, or used Kathy to support your first statement I will let you decide which.I will leave you and Tom to fight in your little playpen since he is more on your intellectual level.

Mary Darst 5 years, 11 months ago

Rock On yankeelady!!!!! When are Kansans going to get a clue?

labmonkey 5 years, 11 months ago

Tom, if you cannot see that Bush was bad for the country and really, really bad for the Republican Party, then you are as stupid as I think you are. You need to quit regurgitating Rush and FOXnews because too many people think people like you represent the Republican Party. Beo, you think you are much smarter than you actually are, and cannot see that you argued yourself into a trap. You fall for everything the far left feeds you, you cannot see that liberals are as close minded as the religious right, and anyone who doesn't agree with you are religious fanatics as well as stupid. You and Tom are a good match and would make for a good show the idiotic masses would soak up.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 11 months ago

He claims to dislike big government yet loves the benefits of being on the tax dollar payroll. Government did not shrink in size under the republicans.He stood behind GW Bush on the illegal war as well as the republican reckless spending habits. Reaganomics is doing Kansas no favors. For that matter Reaganomics in Lawrence is doing us no favors at the city and county levels.As a senator it takes raising $34,000 and 6-8 hours a day to remain in office. . So he must have a lot of special interests under his sleeve just like Jim Ryun did.....outside the state of Kansas. BTW how can he run for Governor and be a U.S. Senator at the same time? We cannot afford this man.

jonas_opines 5 years, 11 months ago

beobachter: "Think I'm confused."No need to be confused, it's rather simple. This:"Kansans have never been known to vote for their best interests, only their stupid religious beliefs and that's what Sam caters to."was a dumb thing to say, especially when you turn around and say that when they vote one way they are magically not stupid anymore.

jonas_opines 5 years, 11 months ago

All the same, Brownback will just embarrass us if he gets elected.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 11 months ago

To the State of Kansas:"I feel your pain" to endure a gubernatoral election with this nitwit lightweight. I hope the GOP has enough sense to "de-select" this crooked SOB.Brownback is one of the most corrupt lying "christians" I have ever witnessed.He is a dirty piece of filth.

Newell_Post 5 years, 11 months ago

Even in still photos, Brownnote has the look and feel of a pathological liar and con man. I cannot understand why anyone of any party or persuasion would vote for this guy.Starting a fundraising campaign 2 years before the election and while still drawing his Senate salary should give everyone some idea of where his head is at.

kujayhawk7476 5 years, 11 months ago

No more right-wing wackos, please! Brownback is the worst! He'll want to regulate which church you attend and legislate morality for all of us! Send him a strong message now....Go away, please!

Left_handed 5 years, 11 months ago

merrill,How is the foray into Iraq "an illegal war" when it was duly authorized by Congress with a majority vote? No liberal has been able to explain to me just how it was illegal. I'm holding out faint hopes that you will be able to enlighten me with your vast wisdom on the topic.

leftylucky 5 years, 11 months ago

www.kansas.com/static/video/brownback-girl/

kmat 5 years, 11 months ago

lefhanded - I'll explain the illegal war thing. The intelligence that was supplied to congress was bogus and made up by the administration. Even Richard Pearl said the war was illegal. The UN said it was illegal. No country can invade another country under international law under the conditions we did. It's fairly simple, if you pay attn to more than our cr*ppy media and understand the supposed legal case we had for going to war."Richard Perle, a senior member of the Bush Administration's Defense Policy Board Advisory Committee, conceded in November 2003 that the invasion was illegal but still justified.""In November 2008, Lord Bingham of Cornhill, the former Lord Chief Justice and Senior Law Lord of the United Kingdom, stated that British Attorney General Lord Goldsmith's advice to the British Government contained "no hard evidence" that Iraq had defied UN resolutions "in a manner justifying resort to force" and that the invasion was "a serious violation of international law and of the rule of law."Read the Downing Street memo. "The memo recorded the head of the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) as expressing the view following his recent visit to Washington that "Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy." It also quoted Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (Foreign Secretary) Jack Straw as saying that it was clear that Bush had "made up his mind" to take military action but that "the case was thin", and the Attorney-General Lord Goldsmith as warning that justifying the invasion on legal grounds would be difficult."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality...

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 11 months ago

After my personal experiences with Brownback and after watching Bush and Palin, I'm realizing I haven't seen a Republican that could make a coherent sentence since Ronald Reagan. These are people in high office but they make mistakes that would get them flunked in Speech 101.Kmat, I'm with you. Over and over I have heard the Republican revisionist history that the Iraq War was "not about WMD" (as presented to the public). This is as stupid and wrong as denying the Holocaust ever happened. If this were true I would like to know why the words "weapons of mass destruction" were used over 170 times at the 2004 Republican National Convention. It's like saying Bush never stood on the bridge of the "Abraham Lincoln" and said "Bring it on!".

dinglesmith 5 years, 11 months ago

The Dems should be mortified of Brownback. Yes he is a part of the rabid right that typically does not win state-wide elections. But he has already won and been reelected to a major state-wide office. Plus, he's stayed relatively clean over his senate terms. What can you go after him for other than ideology? Usually it takes a moderate Republican to beat a solid moderate Democrat state-wide, but Brownback could easily buck that trend. I would go so far as to say it will take a miracle to beat him.