Archive for Sunday, January 4, 2009

Lawrence man injured in rollover wreck

January 4, 2009, 1:01 a.m. Updated January 4, 2009, 10:57 p.m.

One man was transported early Sunday by LifeStar helicopter ambulance to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., after a single-vehicle rollover accident at 447 E. 2100 Rd., about four miles northeast of Baldwin City.

A nursing supervisor was unable to provide a condition update on Sunday night for Sean E. Lawrenz, 22, Lawrence.

At 12:32 a.m., emergency dispatchers received reports from a passerby that a person was trapped inside an automobile. Initial responders to the accident reported that Lawrenz had suffered critical injuries, including a head injury.

Sgt. Blake McCall of the Douglas County Sheriff's Office said the man was driving south on East 2100 Road when, for reasons unknown to officials, his white 1994 Kia passenger vehicle veered into the ditch and through a fence.

"His vehicle rolled a couple times and probably flipped end-over-end," McCall said. "It came to rest upside down, and he was pinned in the vehicle."

Lawrenz was pulled from the wreckage at 12:54 a.m. McCall said emergency responders didn't have to use the "jaws of life" for the rescue. He was unsure if Lawrenz was conscious after the accident. Douglas County Sheriff's Office spokesman Sgt. Steve Lewis said Lawrenz was wearing a seatbelt.

He said the freezing temperatures made if difficult for emergency responders to extract Lawrenz. While a cause of the accident has yet to be determined, Lewis said alcohol is not believed to have played a part.

"You know on a gravel road, when you run off the road, it's up for grabs," Lewis said.

The vehicle was reportedly leaking gasoline when emergency crews responded, but no fire resulted.

Check back to LJWorld.com for more information as it becomes available.

Comments

Grammaton 9 years, 1 month ago

The location, year and make of the car have me in a state of alert. I haven't heard anything, but I am very weary.

Grammaton 9 years, 1 month ago

Selfishly, I admit I am relieved that my concerns have been allayed, but I hope that the driver and anyone else involved will be okay, either soon or given enough time.Hopefully this accident is not a result of what I have witnessed recently -- that everyone seems to be in a hurry.

triplegoddess13 9 years, 1 month ago

The fire crew was there for the helicopter landing not for the fuel leak. Anyone with any knowledge of this kind of thing would know that. I just love the way things are twisted in the reporting to make it more dramatic and sensationalized for the reader.

Sharon Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

Purely a matter of semantics here, it says that "no fire erupted from the incident, but fire crews were on standby at the scene." Maybe more clear to have writen that they were "already on standby at the scene" but I didn't find it that sensationalized. It's even possible they were called to the scene before the helicopter for just that reason. Were I in trapped in a car with the possibility of a fire, I wouldn't care why they were there, just that they were. Whatever the cause of this accident, I'm sure there is a family worrying today. My sincere wishes that this driver is not seriously hurt and has a full recovery.

jackpot 9 years, 1 month ago

"A condition for Sean E. Lawrenz, 22, Lawrence, was unavailable Sunday afternoon."???? How do we know this at 10:51 A.M.? Or maybe Brian Lewis-Jones is not going to call Sunday afternoon.

fatheadff 9 years, 1 month ago

Well triplegoddess 13 if you know so much fire departments are always dispatched to a MVA (motor vehicle accident) when there are injuries. Also the officers now carry LZ (landing zone) lights with them so they can land a helicopter. Fire is also there for assist ems and packaging the patient for transport.... But LJ does have issues on how they report the news

Deja Coffin 9 years, 1 month ago

Well my thoughts and prayers are with the driver and I hope that he makes a full recovery.

Tony Holladay 9 years, 1 month ago

triplegodess13 ,,,,,,, I was listening to the scanner that night. Fire crews were already dispatched before LifeFlight was. The Officer on scene reported on the radio that there was a fuel leak and dispatch relayed that to FD that were already on the way. It did seem like it took them a bit to get him out of the vehicle. I didn't look at the clock or anything but I bet it was a good hour or so.

FMT6488 9 years, 1 month ago

Actually, concerning the fire crew/ helicopter side discussion, both answers are correct. Fire dept. is always called to the scene of an MV accident - this is in case the "Jaws" or some other gear is needed, in addition to the possible fire suppression. Fire dept is ALSO always called to non-airfield helicopter landings for safety reasons - most helicopters use a more volatile fuel than what is used in cars. An aviation fuel spill is a VERY dangerous area - AV fuel requires less heat to ignite than normal gasoline (high enough temps. can ignite - not just open flame or sparks), and it tends to burn hotter than normal gasoline as well.

gccs14r 9 years, 1 month ago

Helicopters have turbine engines, so they run on kerosene (Jet-A, or JP-4). Avgas comes in various grades, just like auto gas. The key difference between avgas and auto gas is the vapor pressure. Avgas has a lower vapor pressure (to prevent vapor lock at altitude), making it less volatile than auto gas. What makes an avgas spill worse than an auto gas spill is that it often has lead in it.