Archive for Saturday, February 28, 2009

Missing shoe links man to auto theft

February 28, 2009

A Lawrence man stole a car, abandoned it six blocks away, lost a shoe and began tinkering inside another person’s vehicle before he was arrested Saturday morning, Lawrence police said.

Sgt. Susan Hadl said police were able to link the sole to the suspect with “a little bit of Cinderella investigation.”

The investigation began when a 22-year-old KU student reported her vehicle stolen about 11:45 p.m. Friday. Police had just broken up a party in the 1300 block of Massachusetts Street. When partygoers dispersed, the woman discovered that her vehicle, which had been parked in the driveway with the key in the ignition, was missing.

Shortly thereafter, police learned of a possible wreck in the 1900 block of Massachusetts Street.

There, they found the stolen vehicle “sort of in a driveway, sort of not.” The radio was blaring, the lights were on and items were splayed around the car. While some items around the car belonged to its owner, one rogue item was found: a shoe.

Police later received reports of suspicious activity at Family Video Rental, 1818 Mass. A video store patron found a stranger in their car honking the horn and messing around in the vehicle.

“By the time we caught up with him, he had one shoe on, one shoe off, was really, really drunk and had no idea where he was or how he got there,” Hadl said. “When we put it all together, we found that he was responsible for the auto theft.”

Hadl said that his intoxication “contributed greatly” to his arrest.

The KU student’s car was returned to her Saturday morning. The man was arrested for auto theft, driving under the influence and disorderly conduct.

Comments

Steve Jacob 5 years, 9 months ago

"parked in the driveway with the key in the ignition"

Got to love the stupidity of college kids!

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 9 months ago

ljreader,

You're pretty "pumped" about this story:~)

redmoonrising 5 years, 9 months ago

If you size the whole thing up, 10 feet is what I heard. Of course the heel has a sole, he wasn't a loafer for sure, just drunk so eyelet that one pass. Could be that he was pumped up by that laced drink, got socked in the eye or simply walked away trying to find his way back to boot camp. Maybe his memory was jogged and he was just trying to get away from his arch enemy. It floors me how people seam so intent on keeping instep with the times. so hereafter holding my tongue. As to the college girl, I'll sneaker a tip and remind her that it's not smart to leave the keys in your car. Could it be that someone was stocking her and she had to be ready for a quick getaway?

Okay, so I just had to have some fun this morining too. So please, don't anyone tell me, " I toed you so!"

Arana 5 years, 9 months ago

Nice to wake up to some puns on a snowy day.

Srj, I'd just simply say the stupidity of people. I've seen people of all ages commit acts of stupidity. It is what makes us human.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 9 months ago

redmoon- Thanks to you, I am now using a keyboard topped with coffee. At least I am awake now.

lawthing 5 years, 9 months ago

He was trying to return the rented movies that were in the seat of the car

Rabbitgoesthump 5 years, 9 months ago

Leaving your keys in your car in your ignition, is about as smart as writing your pin number on the back of your credit card....

Even when I go to start my car and leave it running I have a spare key so I can lock all my doors.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 9 months ago

hey rabbit- the last time I tried that, I was drunk and the spare didn't fit. I was in the wrong car. Now I just stay home.... but my car is still running.

Casey_Jones 5 years, 9 months ago

Whatever you do, take care of your shoes!

Chris Ogle 5 years, 9 months ago

He could always have a shoe sale to help fund his defense.

CarterFaucheaux 5 years, 9 months ago

@LJreader

Your comments are (high)top-quality!

spankyandcranky 5 years, 9 months ago

Wow! .... They should make a movie about this. They could call it Dumb and Dumber in Kansas. I don't like to be negative often, but seriously -- these people seem to have left themselves wide open to ridicule. You think you've heard it all until you hear something like this ...

bearded_gnome 5 years, 9 months ago

LOL! you guys have worked pretty hard to shoehorn puns into this comment thread! this thread is just laced with them . sad that hawk got the boot today too, but it was inevitable as they just couldn't support his arch anymore.

left the car parked with the keys in it.

left one shoe at the scene. his drunkeness contributed to his arrest!

man, this does deserve a movie, or at least an entry on "world's dumbest criminals."

Calliope877 5 years, 9 months ago

She left her car parked in a driveway on Mass street with the keys still in the ignition...maybe she wasn't from around here?

pissedinlawrence 5 years, 9 months ago

who the ... leaves their keys in their car.