Archive for Thursday, February 26, 2009

Three men plead guilty in attack

February 26, 2009

Three Lawrence men entered pleas to aggravated assault and aggravated battery charges Thursday after they were accused of holding a 19-year-old man at gunpoint in January.

District Judge Michael Malone convicted Jack Proctor, 21, Nick Varner, 21, and Eli Woodman, 20, of the two charges each.

The men had originally faced additional charges of aggravated kidnapping and aggravated robbery. The defendants were accused of holding the victim at gunpoint for several hours on Jan. 18 at a home in the 1300 block of Pennsylvania Street.

Police had said the victim was beaten, robbed and then released. He was treated for his injuries at Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Malone is scheduled to sentence the three defendants March 27. Cheryl Wright, a spokeswoman for Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson, said because a gun was used during the crime, it’s presumed the defendants will be sentenced to prison. All three men remained in custody Thursday.

Comments

mommarad 5 years ago

Yesterday these three men were given probation!!! They were released from the jail and have been reunited with there family and friends, who love and support them. The truth is there was not a dry eye in that courtroom!!! Good Luck guy's! This is the truth!!!

hsiwlaln 5 years, 1 month ago

First, it warms my heart that MOST of these comments are positive support for Nic, Kevin, and Eli, and that the court room is FLOODED at every date with people who love them.

For anyone who knows them, they know this was a crazy, out of character situation that was fueled by adrenaline and betrayal. Also, these boys are deeply sorry for the pain they've caused to EVERYONE involved, even the victim, and that was shown at this particular court date, as well as through letters, phone calls, and visits with loved ones.

These boys made a mistake, but they don't deserve to have 2 years of their lives taken away in a prison that could change them forever. They deserve every opportunity to prove themselves as law abiding citizens assets to society.

I wouldn't wish this situation on anyone, but no one will EVER know how awful it feels to see your loved one go through this unless they're living it, and negativity from the media, etc. doesn't make it any easier.

swampyankee 5 years, 1 month ago

The victim had stolen what from them ????

tjhoops69 5 years, 1 month ago

"If I were them, I would have pulled the trigger and done everyone a favor. When he finally dies from his addiction, and his family and friends mourne for him, I'll be at his funeral rejoicing that another peice of TRASH is not a problem for the world I live in anymore."

I sincerly HOPE that the LJWorld is monitoring this comment and turns it directly over to LPD, sounds like a threat to me. As for these guys, how can anyone of you say that they were good people? They put a gun in a mans face and held him against his will. I will remind you of the piece of crap that did this last year and shot the homeowner and got his friend shot and killed too, now that boy is going to prison and he was 17 at the time. If these guys would have killed this guy do you people honestly think that the court system would have said "well hes a drug addict" so there will be no charges?? If the guy stole from them, why didnt they make a police report?? We here in lawrence are not from the sticks and we dont take the law into our own hands, vigilante justice will always backfire in your face. For those of you on here so passionately defending these 3 boys, get a clue, nobody here is gonna have one bit of compassion for any one of them, that was a choice they made, fortunately for them, NOBODY WAS HOLDING A GUN TO THEIR HEAD MAKING THEM DO IT!!!!

ADVOCATEFORTHEGREATERGOOD 5 years, 1 month ago

mommab1988 5 years, 1 month ago

i hope these boys rot in jail for what they did. who cares if they saved a man from a fire IN THE PAST. no one deserves what they did to justin. that really shows what kind of "men" they really are.

lonozoneron22 5 years, 1 month ago

People all make mistakes and wether you agree with the punishment or not is your decision. All three of my friends had clean criminal records up to this. They went with what they felt at the moment and in the heat of the moment they made a life altering mistake. Instead of being negative about it on ljworld.com, lets let the court system deal with this situation. Please be positive, we all need positive thoughts right now, this is already hard enough to deal with as it is for their friends and family, do we really need to add to it?

maryaa 5 years, 1 month ago

I've known these 3 guys for most of my life, and I can't believe this story. More than that, I Don't believe this story. There's just no way. To the families of these boys, I hope you're staying strong, and know that my heart goes out to you all. If I could be there for them I would in an instant. And to the negative people on this particular site, please have some respect for the families of these guys, and don't comment until you know both sides of the story. To miss Rad... I'm guessing your a good friend of these guys, and I thank you for sticking up for them so. You don't know me, but I grew up with those guys, and they mean a lot to me. I hope everything turns out the way it should. I'll keep my fingers crossed for an easy judge.

hsiwlaln 5 years, 1 month ago

To anyone leaving negative comments without the whole story:

I'll have you know that there was a courtroom flooded with WELL OVER 50 people last Thursday who were there to offer their love and support for these three boys. I think that says something about their REAL character, not the monsters that have been created through the media.

RadRealTalk 5 years, 1 month ago

i just wish the police could know what kind of person he really is. They have the wrong guys in jail. “bobble” as justin berry is commonly called, should be where they are. ask the people who he stole thousands of dollars worth of electronics and possessions just to get one fix. he's not a person, he's an addiction. and he needs to be locked up before he gets the chance to RUIN anyone else's life!

RadRealTalk 5 years, 1 month ago

RadRealTalk 5 years, 1 month ago

i just love how you people who dont even know OUR boys l try and act like you know what REALLY happend, or that you know the character of the alleged “victim”. The media has twisted this case so much that it completely makes these boys look like terrible people. They're not. They are the kindest, most generous, and respectable young men. No one would ever expect this of them. Not in a million years. We're are heartbroken. This is so hard for us to see them like this.

if you dont believe me, that they are good people, take a look at this. only about a year ago, did two of these boys rescue a man from a burning house who they didnt even know!

“On a serendipitous alternate route Monday morning, two Lawrence men happened upon a house fire where they helped lend a hand and gave their coats to the resident. Jack Proctor, 20, and Eli Woodman, 19, were driving to the nearest ATM before picking up Proctor's sister to take her to work. The ATM would have been west, but for some reason, Proctor decided to go east. “After about one block we saw a bunch of smoke,” he said. Out of curiosity they followed the smoke to the house, 1507 W. 27th St., which was engulfed in flames. Proctor parked his car near a hydrant and both ran to the house. They immediately saw Brad Shuck, an agent for McGrew Real Estate, pulling George Robson, 69, out of Robson's doorway. “I'm yelling at him, 'Is anyone else in there?' and he (Shuck) says, 'I need help. I can't breathe,'” Proctor said. The two men helped Shuck pull Robson, who wasn't clothed, out to the street. They put their coats on him as they waited for an ambulance. Woodman was able to retrieve his coat, but Proctor's went with Robson to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. Both men were curious about Robson's condition. “It was pretty crazy. I'd definitely like to talk to the guy,” Woodman said. “We're very appreciative,” Ada Robson, an LMH nurse, said. “There was a yellow blanket and a coat in the emergency room. I have no idea what happened to them. I'm very grateful for that.”

Thats copied straight from LJWorld.com. This is the kind of people these boys are. They didn't even know this man, and they saved his life. They RISKED their OWN lives for a complete stranger! now tell me that you believe all of the allegations. because i don't. tell me you believe that this “victim” is telling the truth. These comments are copied directly from LJWorld.com.

mommarad 5 years, 1 month ago

This is obviously no game show " Lets make a Deal " I am very close to this situation and the way I see it, these young boy's just became men. They all stood up and took full responsibility for there actions. I don't think that happens very often in our court system. Its very sad as non of them had a criminal history of any sort. I believe that many of us have learned a very valuable lesson. My father in his early 20's gave many lessons to people who owed money or stoled property. Those are the stories told followed by " those were the good ole days." The quote at our house was, " You can tug on Superman's cape, you can spit in the wind, but you better not mess with Grandpa."
So we all sit and wait to see what their sentence will be, We all hope for the best, but are prepared for the absolute worst. I am sadden by their error in judgment, but I am proud that they owned up to their wrong doings.

redemption 5 years, 1 month ago

Gotta love the lack of announced detail.. I was informed the man was a heroin addict and did indeed previously rob them.

Sounds like a little revenge.

swiftkarma 5 years, 1 month ago

andyk 5 years, 1 month ago

I was actually good friends with two of the three charged. Haven't seen them for a few months, this probably explains why. This is very surprising to hear. I'm guessing what Centurion said must be true, because it really doesn't make since for them to do something like this. Oh well, good luck to them in the future I guess.

couranna1 5 years, 1 month ago

Yeah it should be assumed they are going to prison

Centurion 5 years, 1 month ago

They "boys'" as I call them, I'm twice their age,. made the wrong choice. The victim was a friend and had allegedly stolen from them. The boys took the matter into their own hands. Stupid mistake. These aren't the kind of kids that have been carrier criminals.

tumbilweed 5 years, 1 month ago

Men?

How about a better word.

ralphralph 5 years, 1 month ago

They obviously kidnapped and robbed the guy. Why play Let's Make a Deal?