Archive for Thursday, February 26, 2009

Lawrence Habitat for Humanity plans Saturday fundraiser

February 26, 2009

Lawrence Habitat for Humanity will host a wine-tasting and virtual auction fundraiser on Saturday.

Live music and a dinner will also be part of the event, which will start at 6 p.m. in Abe & Jake’s Landing, 8 E. Sixth St.

Tickets to the event are $40 for individuals and $280 for a table of eight. Proceeds go toward construction of a home for the Luis and Tammy Mendoza family. Guests will be treated to wines from around the country and there will be a cash bar.

“I’m not much of a wine person but I’ve been told that we’ll be providing some of the finest wines around,” Habitat executive director Jeremy Hahn said.

There will be live music acts, including the Kansas University Symphony Orchestra, a jazz band and a salsa band. The salsa band will begin playing at 10 p.m.

The dinner will be provided by Texas Roadhouse. If you want to attend call 832-0777.

A previous version of this story contained an incorrect phone number.

Comments

invent 6 years, 5 months ago

Myopinionmatters-

That is the most hateful comment you could post. Obviously that was your intent Why don't you actually learn about the Habitat program and you might find that it helps people less fortunate. It is not a hand out. It is not a free house. These people actually have to pay for their house. Not everyone qualifies for the program. They even have to help on other people’s houses through sweat equity. Next time you have such a crappy comment, try getting informed first and realize that not everyone is so fortunate as you must be.

KSChick1 6 years, 5 months ago

You idiot! You have to have decent credit to qualify for a H4H house, and you have to be able to pay the mortgage. You don't know squat about the program apparently. Nobody gives you a house. You build it and pay for it. I am a Habitat homeowner and I am not on food stamps, unemployment, or welfare. Nobody pays for school fees for my child. I pay it all and we totally support ourselves with my job and side jobs. Why don't you learn the facts instead of b!tching about something you obviously know nothing about.

denak 6 years, 5 months ago

I have a very good friend who has a Habitat House. She has always been employed and is active in charities. In fact, I think that is one of the requirements. She is not on welfare nor does she get food stamps. She has one child that she is devoted to. She works for the state. And has an almost perfect credit score.

If some of you are so bitter that you don't "get" a house, why don't you direct yourself towards the real reason ie inflated housing prices or... hop on down to habitat and apply for one.

stop be jealous!

Dena

Serenity Walters 6 years, 5 months ago

I have lived in a Habitat Home for 18 months a habitat home I helped build from the ground up I hung drywall swept,painted ,layed floor Etc.. 225. hours from me alone. Not to mention the sweat equity I put out on my neighbors we are a neighbor a family..Getting a Habitat house isnt easy I had to have good credit a stable job and a willingness to work. Everyone in my neighborhood is working some two jobs we dont sit around having babies and watching soaps we are not on food stamps or assistance ...We had a down payment we have a monthly mortgage we do the repairs and the upkeep this is not a handout but a way for a single mom to provide a home for her child I have worked my whole life I saved and worked my butt of for this house...I am not lazy and neither are any of my neighbors! Thank You Dena for the love :)

Serenity Walters 6 years, 5 months ago

To add No government agency is involved in this process so I would be more worried about low-income housing draining your money then habitat!

Serenity Walters 6 years, 5 months ago

my opinionmatter, Excuse me for my writing skills Im enraged These house ARE NOT FREE we have a down payment and a MONTHLY MORTGAGE FOR 25 YEARS!

beawolf 6 years, 5 months ago

"I can help by passing out lemonade and water to the workers." ...You can help by being a permanent part of the foundation.

Serenity Walters 6 years, 5 months ago

myopinionmatters Ignorrance is bless you must be the happiest person on earth. I have never been on assistance of any kind I have raised my son on my own with out childsupport or handouts.

fuel_for_the_fire 6 years, 5 months ago

And you might want to learn to capitalize proper nouns, myopinion[does not]matter.

ScottyMac 6 years, 5 months ago

Well, obviously, you don't let facts interfere with your opinion, myopinionmatters.

Let me try to help you out:

Myth: Habitat builds houses for the homeless.

Fact: Habitat forms a partnership with first-time homebuyers who usually are renters, not homeless.

Myth: Habitat gives away free houses.

Fact: Habitat's partner-familes purchase, with a low-interest loan, the homes that they help build. Yep, Habitat homeowners have to make monthly mortgage, insurance, and tax payments just like you.

Myth: The mortgages must be low since much of the labor and materials are donated.

Fact: Habitat requires its partner-families to purchase the home at its value, not its cost.

Myth: Habitat gives hand-outs to bottom feeders.

Fact: Habitat does not give hand-outs to anyone. Their mission is to give a "hand up" to first-time homebuyers who have a demonstrated financial need, a willingness to work, and for whom a tradtional mortgage is currently unavailable.

Myth: Habitat will partner with anyone.

Fact: Habitat is actually very selective. All partner-families must have acceptable credit, a stable work history, and must pass an intense background check. And, most importantly, the homebuyers must be willing to work very, very hard on their home's construction.

Myth: Others do all of the work while the homebuyers sip lemonade and watch.

Fact: Habitat actually places high demands on their homebuyers. Among them: each adult member of the household --young or old, fit or fat, or blind, deaf, and in a wheelchair-- is required to work a minimum of 225 hours on their own home (they call it "sweat equity"), plus work at least 40 hours each on the homes of two or more other families.

Since Habitat generally only works on Saturdays, it can take several months to wrack up enough hours to qualify. Yet, most of Habitat's homebuyers far exceed the minimum work requirements.

Furthermore, homebuyers are expected to contribute to their homes in other ways: Recruit volunteers, attend fundraisers and seminars, volunteer at the Habitat Restore, and so on. Habitat can and will deny ownership to a partner who fails to put in sufficient effort.

Myth: Habitat partners must be losers since they don't qualify for a traditional mortgage.

Fact: Most first-time homebuyers rely on some sort of assistance to make their first purchase, whether it's through HUD grants, subsidized loans, or the assistance of a local government or non-profit. Habitat offers a good deal to those who qualify if they are willing to put in the work. Those who make it through the very long and difficult process are rightfully proud of their accomplishment.

If you want to apply, their office is on Connecticut Street. This may surprise you: They sometimes have trouble finding qualified families. But don't expect them to lower their standards for you. They won't.

fuel_for_the_fire 6 years, 5 months ago

"And which proper noun would you be speaking of?"

The proper noun of which I am speaking is English, you fool. It's a great language, you might want to learn to speak and write it properly yourself.

fuel_for_the_fire 6 years, 5 months ago

"Free homes for the poor and less fortunate."

Don't let the facts get in the way of your stupidity.

ScottyMac 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh, and to help you out with your grammar and punctuation, opinion:

A good sentence neither starts with a conjunction nor ends with a preposition. Let's look at the following: "And which proper noun would you be speaking of?" Is this a good sentence?

A possessive pronoun does not take an apostrophe. Here's an example for you to review: "It puts the weight of the house on it's shoulders." See any problem?

A proper noun should be capitalized. Let's look at this sentence: "It looks like you were one of their english students." Uh-oh! Did its author forget to proofread before hitting "Submit"?

A comma must follow a conjunction in a list of three or more, and an adverb should come as close as possible to the word it modifies. Examine the following: "Before you talk about someone being ignorant, you may want to learn to compose a sentence, a complete thought and a paragraph correctly." Is this sentence composed correctly?

invent 6 years, 5 months ago

The reverse psychology from myopinionmatters actually helped spread the word and get the facts out about Habitat for Humanity. Thank you. We got more information about the organization in the comments then we would have through any article. Well played myopinionmatters! That is just good marketing skills.

womanwarrior 6 years, 5 months ago

myopinionmatters seems to know his grammar rules, but his/her reading skills are pretty bad. Why don't you stay on subject and read about what Habitat is all about. The homes are not free.

fuel_for_the_fire 6 years, 5 months ago

Good marketing skills? You can't be serious? Are you associated with the Lawrence chapter of Habitat For Humanity? Do you really think the National Organization would approve of your tactics? You pretend (I will give you the benefit of the doubt) to be a complete moron and actually go out of your way to insult people as a way to promote this organization! Your methods are as pathetic as a few of the board members.......wait, I just figured out who this is......

Godot 6 years, 5 months ago

There is a glut of unsold houses on the market in Lawrence. H4H should buy foreclosed houses and provide mortgages to their targeted clientele and reduce the inventory of unsold houses.