Business

Business

Amarr Garage Doors lays off 18 more workers

Amarr garage doors is laying off another 18 employees in Lawrence. The company notified employees on Thursday.

February 26, 2009

Amarr Garage Doors on Thursday laid off another 18 employees in Lawrence, less than three months after the manufacturer cut 100 jobs amid a weak national housing market.

Amarr now has about 460 employees at its 420,000-square-foot plant in the East Hills Business Park, where it continues to make, distribute and market garage doors for residential and commercial uses.

“Similar to other manufacturing companies in the building products sector, Amarr continues to be affected by the downturn in the economy,” said Kirsten Krug, Amarr’s director of people in Lawrence. “Today, we implemented another round of layoffs/job cuts at our Lawrence manufacturing plant.

“We deeply regret having to take this action. In light of the current economic environment, however, we must align Amarr’s manufacturing capacity with the reduced demands that we are experiencing.”

The plant is the largest for North Carolina-based Amarr, accounting for about 90 percent of the company’s production.

Krug described Thursday’s layoffs in Lawrence as being across the organization.

In December, the company said that it was laying off about 100 workers in Lawrence, of which 80 came from management, manufacturing and administration divisions. The remaining 20 were seasonal positions that typically are eliminated during winter months.

Comments

vegetablegirl 6 years, 4 months ago

Hawk-they are tied to the home building industry... what would you expect when 1 out of every 400 homes in the US is in distress or foreclosure.

vegetablegirl 6 years, 4 months ago

Hawk-if you know so much about Amarr, you should spell their name correctly.

Kyle Reed 6 years, 4 months ago

Not to mention if you knew "quite a bit" about Amarr you would know exactly why they can't/won't sell out of the local manufacturing plant.

Kyle Reed 6 years, 4 months ago

Uh...that would be you. "they should open up a warehouse outlet at the factory and let people buy them direct".

vegetablegirl 6 years, 4 months ago

Hawk-relax! As much as you preach to "know", I simply pointed out a fact. If you are so weak and so thin skinned, that you find you have to attack my "name"...get off the blogs! NO WEAKLINGS WELCOME!

Akreed-you are right, you obviously know what I know. Good for you... stand your ground, you know the business.

Kyle Reed 6 years, 4 months ago

"Well, businesses are going to have to get a gimmick nowdays..."

Is that your revolutionary "new" business model you want to share with Amarr? Genius. A gimmick. I can't imagine why NOBODY has ever thought of that before.

RoeDapple 6 years, 4 months ago

What phase is the moon in tonight? everywhere I go posters are snapping at each other.

8-[

quik 6 years, 4 months ago

Amarr has many problems right now besides demand that has slowed to a trickle. The company has made many poor financial decisions over the past few years, one being the installation of a new software system that could end up being a $7 million paper weight. I wouldn't bet on it's survival.

Easy 6 years, 4 months ago

justsomedude 6 years, 4 months ago

amarr is more than likely getting ready to fold up.less and less work and more and more layoffs. besides the owner has already made the comment that the lawrence plant is for sale if he could find a buyer.amarr is so shady with people always has been.

mommyoffour 6 years, 4 months ago

Does any one know what department the lay offs were in?

justsomedude 6 years, 4 months ago

just the door lines for the most part some in parts

mommyoffour 6 years, 4 months ago

I kind of figured from the last video from RB that things were going down hill.

mommyoffour 6 years, 4 months ago

You know I hear alot of other big companies give the employees some notice that they could be laid off. I just think that is the only way to run a business. At night when you close your eyes and go to sleep at least you know you did the right thing. Just remember the Golden Rule. I pray for all these people that have lost jobs and the ones that are left as well. You know that no one there feels safe. That has to be a bad feeling to carry around with you everyday wondering if your going to be next.

justsomedude 6 years, 4 months ago

yeah that was so nice of him to put together the video to smooth us over.lies it would seem now.i dont see anyone working there in a year if this keeps up

AttaGirl 6 years, 4 months ago

This morning, Lawrence Paper Company began laying off employees. Using the reason as Economic Reduction in force.

weluvbowling 6 years, 4 months ago

My Husband use to work at Amarr until October when he got tired of the place, had a mental melt down and left mid day. There is A LOT of things that are done at Amarr that could be done differently. As far as Brenner making a video...to me that is chicken poo! It helped him avoid confrontation. Typical of the big business man these days. They have taken away alot of these workers benefits little by little, in all honesty they don't have a whole lot to look forward to at all anymore.

"Easy (Anonymous) says…Everyone I know who works there dreads going to work everyday. They treat there employees like s**t, That place is a cesspool."

My husband, Bill, would whole heartedly agree with that post and I am sure he would have had more to add to it!

I say Good Luck to the ones that are left. I hope, for your sake, that the company doesn't fold but I look for the Lawrence plant to close sooner than later.

DaVille 6 years, 4 months ago

It was just '06 / '07 when the housing market was booming and companies like Amarr recorded record increases. If people know some of the history of Amarr, they used to work soley in the house building market, selling to contractors etc... Amarr since then moved into working in the retail market which targets consumers like you and me who are into home improvement. During that time more Home Depots, Lowe's and other similar type stores began popping up everywhere. Amarr agressively went after that market, and now is the main garage door sold in Lowe's stores along with Sams, Costco etc... In order to keep up with the demand that comes with rapidly growing businesses, you have to staff accordingly. All across the country companies built their employee base to keep up with a booming business! That's not running your business poorly, it's what happens when you want to maximize sales during a time that competition is looking to take your spot, if you're sitting still. It's simple ignorance to believe that the company runs the same way it did in the 90's... that's impossible to do, and still keep your place in line with competition always waiting to take your place, and then some! No One thought that the state of our economy would get this bad... but one thing will and IS happening all over the country... when business slows, you can't keep your business afloat if you keep it staffed like a company who is making record sales... This is why companies are laying off all over the country. Goodyear in Topeka just had major lay-offs, Lawrence Paper, Hallmark, Progress VanGard, Saur Danfoss... all of these local companies have closed or had lay-offs! It costs money to make the changes some of you imply they should make, and there is no garauntee that those changes will work... and no matter what changes you make, it is silliness to think that these companies can still run without cutting some of the workforce! Unemployment is up everywhere, and we Kansan's are not immune... get used to these types of articles, and pray that the economy doesn't get any worse! Amarr could start making doggy doors, slding doors, closet doors, front doors, cellar doors, back doors, etc... it wouldn't matter... this article would still be here, because business can not stay at the level that it was during the housing / economy boom! We may not like the truth, but that's what it is... truth!

crusier 6 years, 4 months ago

Hawk... no answer for DaVille? He seems to know more of what is going on.

acg 6 years, 4 months ago

This totally sucks. My bro works at Amarr and has for like 20 years. They've laid off basically everyone in is dept. and he's a salaried employee, so his workload has doubled and his pay hasn't budged (of course). He's always working late nights or weekends to make up for the fact that there are no other hands to help him out. It blows! I feel bad for those that it has happened to. I have also lost my job, of 12 years, just recently and it stung. Luckily I had just given birth so I had the new baby and all that goes along with it to keep me busy but it's going to be time to get back into that job market soon and I'm afraid. I haven't had to update my resume or go on an interview in over a decade.

quik 6 years, 4 months ago

Amarr is acting like a company that is leveraged to the hilt and cash starved to the point of near bankruptcy. I don't buy that companies like Amarr should have thrown caution to the wind and expanded at all costs when times were better. With the great tax breaks they have always been given by the city of Lawrence, they owe it to the people of this area to do business responsibly and to remain viable. If nobody at Amarr ever thought that a situation such as we have now could have happened, then they have managed poorly. Many of us knew something was up with the credit bubble with so many people that didn't make much money suddenly able to buy houses. How could businesses like Amarr completely miss it? Did they ever wonder why business picked up so much a few years ago and how it might look in the future?

greenworld 6 years, 4 months ago

Amarr isnt listed on the stock market or the tent would have folded many years ago. I have a friend that works in shipping there and he said they are starting to turn the lights off at night since there is no 3rd shift anymore and there is no heat or a/c being turned on. So basically you are suppose to wear alot of clothes if it gets to cold or tanktop if it is over 100 boiling in there. I think these are the changes that Obama wasnt talking about that everybody is going to have to bare down and deal with.

nowthetruth 6 years, 4 months ago

I was shocked when I read this article and was concerned that my Mom had lost her job... so I called her to see what was really going on at Amarr. As I had her read all these blogs, she laughed. She said that the owner was just in town and he made it very clear that as the economy goes up and down, so will Amarr's employment level. She also said that the comments about Amarr shutting down are just bloggers who "are a little like professional wrestlers, just small minded people trying to get attention". She said the people at Amarr are working hard to adjust to the new systems and produce quality doors. She said the latest round of terminations were positions that were eliminated because "we can get by without them". She said it is sad to see your friends go.... So, all you pro-bloggers..keep up your hate! We are throughly entertained (not informed).

weluvbowling 6 years, 4 months ago

I am with justsomedude here but also...wonders if nowthetruth's mom works in the front office w/DaVille...I've met a few of them and they are definitely "company people" (if you know what I mean)! wink nudge

One things for sure...they will close this Lawrence plant before they close the ones close to Brenner's home in North Carolina and from what I have been told in the past even the new one in NC isn't doing the greatest at production.

And just so you know "nowthetruth (Anonymous)", it's not hate...my husband didn't get fired or laid off, after 5 years of morons running the place he left! It's called a few more brains than the people running this location AND I don't hide behind (Anonymous) so you have to know that I am not scared to say what I am saying! smiles

hallmarker 6 years, 4 months ago

Daville,

Get your facts straight, Hallmark hasn't had a lay-off.

nowthetruth 6 years, 4 months ago

For the record bowler (Terri), my Mom works in the production facility. The people who run this company are not morons, they are bright people trying to sustain a large, local employer.

oui 6 years, 4 months ago

Geez...A lot of comments. Mostly negative towards Amarr. How about a positive view. Yes, the comments/blogs are how we/people feel when someone loses a job - almost like losing a loved one.

It HAPPENS. I am not going to refer to any blogs or comments by name but some, I feel compelled to address.

• If anyone remembers....Before Amarr, it was called The Garage Door Group. - Ring a bell when Delden comes into play?....That is why you cannot just drive up and buy a garage door. It is called a contractual agreement.

• If anyone remembers....Amarr USED to be one of the largest employers in the city of Lawrence. Paying a very decent wage to those whom deserved one......Now, after the layoffs, people are "talking trash?"...Come on....I know people who, and I hate to say it, should not have even HAD their job with Amarr for a long time.

I will not say why I say this because )1. It is true, and )2. The Building/Manufacturing has gone way "South"....And it has "hurt" all of us in one way or another and lead to many types of layoffs in the building industry. Amarr is not going to "fold."

I give a buddy of mine a ride to work at Amarr now and then. He is trying to save some money for his family and rescue his car. He loves working for Amarr...

Sure, he knows that he has no real job security at this point but at least he is trying very hard.

He says "The most threatening thing to me is to not be at work on time"......I asked him "Hmm, isn't that what is merely expected.?"

His reply..."That's the way Amarr rolls (be on time)...That's why I still have a great job."

For those that lost their employment at Amarr I truly wish the best for you and your family.

However, I am not convinced that Amarr is a "Bad" company or a bad place to work and I do not think that Amarr will be moving from Lawrence or going out of business anytime soon.

Please, stop the negative comments.....Save them for our new administration....as of to-date..I have no retirement. -- BY 401K... But that was my decision in what to put my money into...just like a decision to show up late or be inebriated at work.

Friends, Take responsibly for you own thoughts, actions and life. Move Forward! And, Blame no one else.

Might see you in the soup kitchen...HEHE