Archive for Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Conservative religious activists unhappy with Sebelius’ possible candidacy for HHS secretary

Governor says she doesn’t know if she’s being considered for position

February 25, 2009, 10:53 a.m. Updated February 25, 2009, 11:30 a.m.

— The Obama administration remains mum about who might take over the Department of Health and Human Services — and when that might be. But conservative religious activists have already launched a preemptive campaign against top contender Kathleen Sebelius.

Sebelius provided no comment Wednesday on whether she was being considered for the open secretary of health and human services position.

"I have no idea," she said and directed questions to the Obama administration.

The Kansas Democrat and Roman Catholic is “the most rabidly pro-abortion governor” in the country, according to the effort being waged by Operation Rescue through its Web site, which calls her and President Obama “birds of a feather.” The group is encouraging antiabortion activists to write Congress to oppose her.

As governor, Sebelius vetoed a bill that would have required clinics to report to the state the reason for any late-term abortion it performed. After her veto, the local archbishop called on Sebelius to not take the sacrament of Communion.

“Abortion is a personal decision made by a woman in consultation with her doctor, her family and her clergy,” Sebelius, in town for the National Governors Association meeting, said in response to the attack. “While my beliefs teach me that abortion is morally unacceptable, as a public official, I have worked hard to ensure that abortions are rare, safe, and within the bounds of the law.”

Comments

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 1 month ago

I won't tell you how to worship (or whom) if you don't tell me what I can do with my body.

KatWrangler 5 years, 1 month ago

fearsadness14

Exactly! I am tired of the Religous Conserves tell others what to do. What I do is between my HCP and myself (and husband in my case). They need to keep their noses it of it.

Right on Gov! Seperation of Church and State!

jonas_opines 5 years, 1 month ago

"Conservative religious activists unhappy with Sebelius"

/rest of headline unnecessary

fearsadness14 5 years, 1 month ago

okay, this is something that irks me. If you base abortion rights on your religion, why do you have to force your religious views on others? We cannot have a law based on abortion because "god will get angry" if we carry something out. This nation isnt unified under one god at all, in fact that's what makes this such an interesting point. I love the statement that Kathleen has: “While my beliefs teach me that abortion is morally unacceptable, as a public official, I have worked hard to ensure that abortions are rare, safe, and within the bounds of the law.”

ArumerZwarteHoop 5 years, 1 month ago

Kathy has good baby killing cred, A prerequisite for the job.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh, you've done it now, logic!

logicsound04 5 years, 1 month ago

"Just because someone is part of an organized religion doesn't make them a wacko."

I agree completely.

However, I am unfamiliar with the Church of Operation Rescue.

OR is not an "organized religion". They are, however, religious wackos (i.e., not really devout)--ideologues who use religion to promote a myopic and single-minded belief in outlawing abortions.

Hell, since we're on the subject of religion, would you mind pointing me to the evidence that abortion is wrong in the eyes of God? A simple bible verse or commandment will suffice.

Daniel Kennamore 5 years, 1 month ago

Just to clarify:

There are millions of sane people who happen to be religious...people who spend their lives working for Operation Rescue or Focus on the Family (etc) are wackos.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 1 month ago

junco - it doesn't say that she peeved off the Catholic church even if the archbishop asked her not to receive communion. It says that Operation Rescue is peeved. I don't think danny (escuse me for speaking for you, danny) meant that the Catholic church are the wackos (although they are one of my least favorite organized religions). The people who belong to Operation Rescue tend to be religious fantical wackos.

couranna1 5 years, 1 month ago

junco idiot I never said that about the catholic church, although I could ,but operation rescue are wackos regardless of what you tried to say

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 1 month ago

Okay, so if we replace "wackos" with "theocrats" or "Christianists", then we have an accurate statement.

junco_partner 5 years, 1 month ago

There are millions of Catholics in this country and the Catholic chuch has been around much longer than the United States has been a country. Just because someone is part of an organized religion doesn't make them a wacko. You on the other hand fit the bill rather nicely.

couranna1 5 years, 1 month ago

Operation Rescue is a bunch of wackos but they hide behind the bible and have a much broader political agenda. Big supporter kline enough said

Daniel Kennamore 5 years, 1 month ago

If your a Democrat, you know if you are doing a good job if you peeve off the religious wackos.