Archive for Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Suspect in violent attack no longer tracked by GPS

February 24, 2009

Despite objections from prosecutors, a former Kansas University student accused of kidnapping and brutally attacking his ex-girlfriend will no longer be required to wear a GPS monitoring device.

“This is a man with a violent past,” Assistant Attorney General Nola Wright told Judge Robert Fairchild during a hearing Monday afternoon in Douglas County District Court. “There needs to be additional tracking on him.”

Matthew Jaeger, 23, has been wearing the device since he was released from the Douglas County Jail in October 2007 after posting $850,000 bond.

He had been arrested weeks earlier, accused of breaking into his ex-girlfriend’s apartment in the 1200 block of George Court, violently attacking and then kidnapping her. The victim testified at an earlier court hearing that she suffered massive injuries to her pelvic region during the attack. Jaeger has been ordered not to go within a 100-mile radius of the victim.

Monday, Jaeger did not show up for his court appearance, which baffled prosecutors.

“It distresses me that he is not here,” Wright told the judge. “In any other case I would ask for bond to be revoked.”

But defense attorney Pedro Irigonegaray said he was unaware that his client, who is currently living in suburban Chicago, needed to be present for the hearing.

Irigonegaray asked the judge to allow Jaeger to remove the GPS tracking device, which can cost up to $4,600 a month, and instead allow him to check in twice a week with a probation officer in the Chicago area.

Defense attorneys argued the ankle bracelet, which Jaeger is required to wear 24 hours a day, is highly visible to clients at his new sales job with a large condominium complex.

The judge granted the request. Jaeger will also be subjected to weekly alcohol and drug tests.

Defense attorneys also asked for another trial delay in the case, citing more than a thousand pages of police reports and at least 90 witnesses to track down in the case.

The prosecution objected to dragging the case out any longer. The trial, originally scheduled for October 2008, had already been delayed when Irigonegaray took over the case from defense attorney Carl Cornwell in July.

“This case should no longer linger on the docket month after month,” Wright said. “Let’s get it going.”

The judge agreed and scheduled a jury trial for July 27, the first available date for a three-week trial.

Irigonegaray also told the judge that because of the extensive media coverage of this case, he is in the process of creating a questionnaire for potential jurors.

Comments

igby 5 years, 7 months ago

This is really strange!

First the prick didn't show up for court. Then the judge takes the leash off him so he can boogie without trace.

Sounds like someone got paid.

cutny 5 years, 7 months ago

"In any other case I would ask for his bond to be revoked," so what makes this an exception? The fact that his dad has a lot of money? The fact that he "sells" condos? The fact that he skipped his hearing? This makes no sense.

compmd 5 years, 7 months ago

Pedro, don't play stupid. You're in the spotlight more than any other defense attorney in the entire state. Your client is out on a huge bond for a violent crime, and you were "unaware" he had to show up to his court date?

Right now if I were Nola Wright, I'd be calling up the police department of the suburb Jaeger is living into have them go bug him from time to time. Why didn't you call for a revocation of bond? Jaeger didn't show up.

This case looks like it is going to get screwed up by idiocy on both sides.

fascinating_person 5 years, 7 months ago

I thought they considered him a HUGE flight risk! I'm dying for this trial to start so they can finally lock him up.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 7 months ago

Pedro just needed additional time to find his client. You see they hired someone else to wear the device. That is why the cost is $4,600 per month. (Just kidding)

But really, if I were the accused, $4,600 per month would be a good reason to mone forward with the trial. Unless I were guilty.

redfred 5 years, 7 months ago

What Informed said. I thought Fairchild was one of the few common sense judges we had. I am now having second thoughts.

mom_of_three 5 years, 7 months ago

The device shows while he is at work? Well, GOOD!! Then potential clients can ask him while he is wearing it and stear clear from him, because someone thinks he is violent. I know it's innocent until proven guilty, but there was a reason he is wearing the device

Chris Ogle 5 years, 7 months ago

Those folks in court didn't see it.

pace 5 years, 7 months ago

Remember the name Judge Robert Fairchild. it is hard to know what judge to retain. III

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 7 months ago

Jack - FYI, it's $4600 a month, not a week.

If I were the victim or her attorney, I'd be in court having the hissy fit of the century. Is Judge Fairchild kidding? I don't want this monster running around without monitoring. What is Judge Fairchild going to do when he doesn't check in with his parole officer and no one can find him.

lawthing 5 years, 6 months ago

My guess is that since he has gotten out he has pleaded poverty and now the states taxpayers are paying the cost of the GPS and all other court costs.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 6 months ago

If they can afford a $850,000 bond, they can afford the $4,600 a month fee. Just make it a court cost. And if they don't want to pay that, throw his psychopathic ass back in jail.

The_Bends 5 years, 6 months ago

This guy is a mega-rich kid from Deerfield Illinois. It's all about $$$. This guy has enough cash to drag this out forever.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 6 months ago

If he is so dangerous and such a threat that he requires a restraining order of 100 miles, I can begin to imagine what the hell this judge is thinking letting him take off the bracelet. If he wants it off, demand his right to a speedy trial. Otherwise, leave it on!

tokenshi 5 years, 6 months ago

Well, last time I posted about this guy my comment was removed because I posted his email and personal information. Apparently neither the media or court wants to keep tabs on an obviously evil and vile person. I have a lot of respect for Judge Fairchild, but I can't understand his rational here.

I'm not about to assume to understand his logic, but after hearing about Judges being paid for imprisoning children in Pennsylvania, I have to wonder if money is changing hands on some level to draw Jaeger's trial out and give him more slack than a violent offender deserves.

I have friends who have been treated far more severely for non-violent crimes than this kid. I hope next time (and there will be a next time at this rate) he goes on a rampage that his target turns the tables.

brandx 5 years, 6 months ago

Have no fear. Despite the D.A. office record of losing quite a few major cases, the evidence in this one may be strong enough to win. And despite the good job Pedro does promoting himself, his record of actually winning a case is pretty weak, e.g. Tom Murray murder case.