Archive for Monday, February 23, 2009

Go!

More children facing tooth decay

February 23, 2009

Tooth decay is the most common chronic disease affecting children in the United States.

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, it’s five times more common than asthma and seven times more common than hay fever.

Pediatric dentists with Children’s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics want children to visit the dentist sooner. The recommended age for the first dental visit now is 12 months.

“It used to be 3 (years), but by the time we saw them at that age, we were seeing children with lots of decay already,” says Robin Onikul, pediatric dentist at Children’s Mercy, noting 40 percent of children have tooth decay by kindergarten.

Onikul recommends check-ups at least twice a year; use of fluoride; regular brushing and flossing, as soon as the first tooth appears; and eating right, including avoiding foods and drinks with a lot of sugar.

Comments

jaywalker 6 years, 2 months ago

I'd bet the main culprit is water filtration systems. Whether built into tap system or simply a filtered pitcher, the water gets cleansed of its fluoride content. Need to utilize fluoride rinse.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 2 months ago

tumbilweed are we crankey this morning you seem to be on the negative side on your posts this am. I blame alot of diffrent things but the good news is that by the time the baby teeth fall out a child should be much better at brushing than before.

Nys Cof 6 years, 2 months ago

Fluoride is neither a nutrient nor required for healthy teeth. Fluoride ingestion only delivers adverse health effects see http://www.FluorideAction.Net/health without any benefits.

Fluoride is in virtually all foods and beverages as well as dental products. It is inhaled from showers and absorbed from baths. There's no such thing as a fluoride deficiency.

In fact, the CDC says that up to 48% of US school children sport fluoride overdose symptoms - dental fluorosis, white spotted, yellow, brown and/or pitted teeth.

Those Brita filters and any other charcoal filtration device does not remove fluoride. Only reverse osmosis and distillation do to some extent.

The best way to avoid fluoride, and you should, is to contact your legislators, from local to national, tell them to stop adding toxic fluoride chemicals into public water supplies.

Start here http://Congress.FluorideAction.Net

jaywalker 6 years, 2 months ago

Whaaaaaaaat??!! So all my dentists promoting fluoride, all the toothpastes specifying flouride.............all BS? My last visit to the dentist and they specifically suggested I utilize ACT fluoride rinse because I drink water from a Brita pitcher. And I certainly don't see how 'inhaling' and 'absorbing' fluoride from showers can help teeth. But hey, do what you want. I'm gonna go with my professional's advice.

alm77 6 years, 2 months ago

Fluoride is scary stuff and the fact that they add this to our water is outrageous. I don't care which side of the debate you are own, nothing should be added to the public water supply "for the good of the people" or not. If you want fluoride, buy it, but don't force it on everyone.

Raymond Munoz 6 years, 2 months ago

Chris Ogle 6 years, 2 months ago

Dentist advice- you really need to brush that tooth.

Hoots 6 years, 2 months ago

When I was growing up having soda or juice was a treat today these things are a staple in childrens diets. This is really no mystery. It amazes me how much soda people drink today. If you look at a small soda served most places it's the same size as what a large was 30 years ago. I also wonder if parents make kids brush their teeth like they use to.

hawklet21 6 years, 2 months ago

Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says… Serving Coke in a baby bottle probably has a lot to do with it.

LOL! You said it!

trinity 6 years, 2 months ago

ok, miss gottahaveapplejuice hawklet! you were a lucky one, no soft drink in the bottle nor any sugar/chocolate until you were a year or so old-and that wasn't even my fault! :)

Poon 6 years, 2 months ago

Sven Erik Alstrom (parrotuya) says…

If we could put make-people-smarter-ide in the water, maybe we could turn stupid people into smarter people! Especially those kooks who think that fluoride added to water is a government conspiracy to control minds!

What a novel idea! How to pay for this? Tax cuts, of course!

More tax cuts for tooth decay!

More tax cuts for conspiracy theorists!

More tax cuts for dentists!

More tax cuts for Mountain Dew!

More and bigger tax cuts!

gr 6 years, 2 months ago

"Whaaaaaaaat??!! So all my dentists promoting fluoride, all the toothpastes specifying flouride………….all BS? My last visit to the dentist and they specifically suggested I utilize ACT fluoride rinse because I drink water from a Brita pitcher. And I certainly don't see how 'inhaling' and 'absorbing' fluoride from showers can help teeth. But hey, do what you want. I'm gonna go with my professional's advice."

You may want to reconsider having blind faith in your dentist - the same ones who will put mercury in your mouth.

Also, why put Fluoride in the water system? Is that logical? How do you control the dosage? If someone wants to take a vitamin or supplement, let them. Don't dump toxic poison waste from big business into our water supply with no way of controlling who gets what amount.

Poon 6 years, 2 months ago

Oh, my, my, my GR, are you questioning Sven The Great?