Business

Business

Chef brings gourmet burger operation to downtown

February 23, 2009

Local chefs cooking up gourmet burgers

Upscale hamburger restaurants have been big on the East Coast for years, but now they're starting to make their way to Lawrence. Enlarge video

Robert Krause, left, and Simon Bates — purveyors of gourmet burgers and fries at The Burger Stand.

Lawrence chef Robert Krause has gained a national reputation for serving $100-per-plate, six-course meals out of his east Lawrence home.

You know the type: Seared scallops with carrot puree, smoked New Zealand mussels in a lobster-saffron broth, prime tenderloin in potato gratin with a red wine reduction, roasted garlic chive oil, and — of course — pistachio butter.

What? Oh, you don’t know the type.

Join the club.

That’s why you might be surprised about Krause’s newest culinary project: the hamburger.

“There has been this national craze of upscale burger joints, and it sounded fun,” Krause said.

And that’s a good way to describe what Krause has done. Krause and another fellow CIA-trained chef (no, it’s Culinary Institute of America) recently opened up The Burger Stand at Dempsey’s, 623 Vt. The burgers are upscale, but the “joint” is not. Krause and culinary partner Simon Bates operate the restaurant out of the Irish bar’s kitchen.

But what comes out of the small diner-style window is anything but typical bar food. All hamburgers are made from a custom blend of tenderloin, strip steak and rib-eye. The restaurant makes its own gourmet pickles, and has unusual toppings like apple chutney, shallot-bacon marmalade and tzatziki sauce.

Yeah, I don’t know either.

But that is part of the point.

“A lot of the kids come in here and order our classic burger — our cheeseburger — and they love it,” Bates said. “Then they come back and they’re trying something with pickled cauliflower on it. And they love that, too. So, we think it is a great way to expand people’s tastes.”

Plus, it may just end up being good business. Amanda Pritzker, a spokeswoman for Zagat Survey, the national restaurant rating service, said the company’s editors have seen an explosion of upscale burger restaurants.

“It is something we have been seeing in New York for quite some time, but it is definitely spreading west. It is something that has a great price point. You get something better than fast food, but you don’t have to pay steakhouse prices.”

Prices at the Lawrence restaurant range from $7 for The Classic to $9 for a Kobe beef burger. Fries, though, will cost you extra, and also will force you to make a decision: Go with the old standbys of regular or chili fries or perhaps kick it up a notch (yeah, I watch the Food Network) with sweet potato fries or truffle fries. And you could ask for ketchup — it’s homemade with “an edge of roasted garlic” — but you also can dip into guadillo chili dip or parmesan roasted garlic aioli.

Yeah, I don’t know.

The prices are a little less than you’d shell out at Krause’s reservation-only east Lawrence operation. There, meals start at about $80 per plate, and if you want the wine (man can’t live on bread alone) it will cost you another $50 to $60.

“Our (east Lawrence) restaurant is clearly for special occasions,” Krause said. “But I could see people eating down here once a week.”

Yeah, and you might even figure out how to pronounce all the offerings on the menu.

Comments

JackRipper 5 years, 1 month ago

Thatgirl2 are you buying? Is it local grass fed hamburger? Do they serve drinks made of pure grain alcohol and rainwater?

Original_Me 5 years, 1 month ago

Think_Out_Loud: Yeah, I'm new. :) I'm not a pro at this internet-blogging-attacking-thing. Maybe they'll make a Blogger's Annonymous huh? LoL! But still, an American classic is an American classic is an American classic. Imagine if we had to eat nothing but burgers for the rest of our lives. How boring that would be if new twists weren't made. I'd be happy to start an Anti-American Classics Annonymous. Have an open mind about food, food rocks!

not_holroyd 5 years, 1 month ago

Hawk:

Dalhart: Clean restaurants. Good food. Cheap.

Problem solved.

The end.

ocean 5 years, 1 month ago

sounds like it is definitely worth a try.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 1 month ago

Restaurants need to be clean! Restaurants need to have simple menus, Not a bunch of fake hollywood titles for the entrees.

Lawrence doesnt really have any simple restaurants. Where does one sit down, get a good egg salad sandwhich, a cup of coffee, or egg salad or for that matter, a ham and cheese. What happened to places like Jennings Daylight Donuts , and Drakes is gone, Woolworth Lunch counter menus don't exist.

What we have here in Lawrence are a bunch of overpriced mexican restaurants downtown, and the ones that come close to reasonable in price are in dirty buildings. How hard is it to get a bucket with soap and water and bleach in it and wipe off the furniture, the legs of chairs, and turn the rag occasionally and wring it out.

East Lawrence would do better to attract at 19th and Haskell a Church's fried chicken,or a Popeye's, those places make for good candidates to get robbed.

Kelly;s needs to be cleaned up. The service was horrible the morning I had breakfast. A friend was dining and offered to buy. How long should it take for toast and two eggs , scrambled, and hash browns. 30 minutes?

The days of simple menus, good cooking are gone. ONe has to go where there is a larger population , places that aren't pretending to be something they are not.

The J/W editorial was correct about Lawrence having a bunch of people who believe they are elitists. The restaurants fall in that trap.

Resturant business is slim margin. It is about gross sales and for that the product needs to be great!

The price reasonable and the service fast . More water doesn't translate to good service. How about the waitstaff providing clean napkins occasionally. Portions don't even matter, if the food is good. In fact, the best restaurants will leave you wanting more.

In Lawrence, some of these places one just wants to leave and never want more..

bangaranggerg 5 years, 1 month ago

Judging from the high quality of the ingredients I honestly wouldn't be surprised to find out that McDonald's makes more profit margin on a McDouble. The Guinness Chili is awesome at Dempseys as are the burgers and truffle fries. If you want to complain about the price, go eat the cheap crapola you get at other restaurants, or suck it up and enjoy your meal.

Thinking_Out_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

Original_Me wrote "How...did a blog about burgers become an internet match of egos & insults?"

Kinda new here, aren't you?

I'm amazed, absolutely amazed, that hawkperchedatriverfront is unhappy with the restaurant choices in East Lawrence. He says he wants to have restaurants there, I point out the ones that are there, and he says they aren't good enough. It's as if he's intent on being unhappy.

Steven Gaudreau 5 years, 1 month ago

Nizzle, Local Burger is losing their lease this year to Fritzel and moving the business to K.C. so there will soon be 1 hamburger place on the block. Also, Doug Compton owns the property at Dempsey's, not the business as stated incorrectly earlier. Also, what Doug did to Rick when it was Rick's Place was evict him for not paying his rent for six months. I think that is standard practice isn't it? Lastly, Shocktalk, were do you get a $5.00 burger that's better in Lawrence? Five Guys, West Coast, and the Wheel are not even close in quality. Also, the only $9.00 burger is the Kobe beef burger. The classic is $6.99 which falls within your price range of $5.00-$7.50. Everyone keeps commenting on the "$9.00 burger." That is the most expensived item on the menu, not the only item on the menu. I'm going there for lunch today. Meatloaf Burger, here I come.

ThatGirl2 5 years, 1 month ago

LOL! Sigh.....some folks are just SO easy...... ;)

(PS: I'm happy to meet any of you all for a $9 burger--name the time and place. 350 pounds? Subtract about 225 and you're dead on spanky. I'm not nervous--are you?)

Scott Newell 5 years, 1 month ago

We now have two burger joints within a block of eachother...edge Local Burger.

Danimal 5 years, 1 month ago

Thanks Thatgirl2, I came on here to avoid writing my thesis and see what people thought about these burgers. Instead I was treated to a steaming, heaping helping of your ego. Since you're so BA you should buy me a $9 burger.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 1 month ago

max1, maybe you can help out these poor fools, worrying about burgers and such, when downtown Lawrence should concern itself with EDAR, and no that is not some fancy european cheese, EDAR is real, EDAR is for Lawrence.

A chicken in every pot, an EDAR in every lot.

dont steal my quote anyone ,either.

Me and Precious in Dalhart are going to get an EDAR with a bicycle built for two...just a hint to help out the nitwits in this town. Drawing for an EDAR at opening night of The Moronic Temple. Five to be given away after watching "not_holroyd" consume the 89oz steak, poor thing lost it's teeth when brushing with that Holroyd-Hemerhoid creme.

say,max1, you think maybe that dog meat steak might be good with a dose of that "cream" in a tube.

EDAR is the topic for downtown eateries, They all should be learning about EDAR.

WE know the city commission and the county are all absorbed in how to buy 120 homes for $555,862 thousand.

Fat chance. A burger is easier even at $9.00

Yep, I tried Kelly's. Had to wait for a long time for breakfast, the toast. I guess they were re wiring the toaster and grinding the grain. Nice people but it wouldn't pass a health inspection in some cities. Even set um jacks is starting to get dirty. Don't any of the restaurants know about a bucket, hot soapy water, some bleach and several clean rags. wipe , turn the rag over, wipe again, into bucket, wring out. "not_holroyd" would be good for cleaning, all that hand wringing that goes one. :) wonder how that dog would be in a crock pot.?

Original_Me 5 years, 1 month ago

Retards. How the hell did a blog about burgers become an internet match of egos & insults? Stay home & eat tofu? That too, is retarded talk. Vegan burgers happen to taste very alright, & no, not all are made of tofu. Idiot. Oh & hey, 5 Guys makes killer fries. Maybe those who oppose are just used to chemicals & additives that aren't really food. Their intention is there, you getta college kid who just needs a job & stick him at the fryer job, it's possible he's too green & you were there at the wrong time. Real potatoes unmessed with, plain old oil, some salt - mmm! R E A L F O O D !!!

Confrontation 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey JackRipper, don't pay much attention to ThatGirl2. I'd bet money that she's actually a 350lb woman who can only get a tan if they douse her in baby oil and use the Lawrence outdoor pool as her holding tank. Oh, and that "fancy" tropical vacation will have to be done by boat. Any airline would make her buy three seats. Also, the whole "self-made" woman thing implies that she's the one who bought all the pizza, burgers, and everything else that she eats. It's sure easy to give yourself a high self-esteem on the internet.

Steven Gaudreau 5 years, 1 month ago

Thank you for finally bringing a quality burger to Lawrence. My cheeseburger was $6.99 and worth every penny. The burger at Freestate is $10 and it is terrible. I'm shocked people complain about a $6.99 dinner. The same burger at Blanc in KC is $8.99. If $6.99 is out of your price range for dinner, Checkers is having a sale on Alpo. Enjoy!

max1 5 years, 1 month ago

"I am tired of hamburgers and mexican food. And chinese too." -hawkperchedatriverfront

"Awwww. Poor Hawk wants different restaurants." -not_holroyd

not_holroyd loves chinese dog meat.

http://www.dogmeattrade.com/library_articles/international_dmt.html Dog farms are currently springing up all over China, with industry ads boasting high rates of return, three times as profitable as poultry, and four times as profitable as raising pigs. Chinese dog farmers believe that in a few short years, dog farms will become as prolific as those raising sheep and cattle. In Peixian for example, 300,000 dogs are slaughtered annually. Some farms raise as many as 100,000 dogs a year . . . With the growth of the dog meat market there has been an increasing demand for large European breed dogs.

JackRipper 5 years, 1 month ago

How sad. Well you are young enough you'll still have time to pull it together. Good luck.

ThatGirl2 5 years, 1 month ago

JackRipper (Anonymous) says…

I don't know if thatgirl2 is going to get her donaldhollenger2 if she doesn't know how to cook a decent hamburger. Donald is going to get tired taking her out for $9 hamburgers before too long and dump her.

Oh sweetie, don't you worry about me. I'm a self made woman and I certainly don't rely on any man to take me out for meals. I can't help the fact that they always want to, but I don't rely on it. I've never cooked a thing in my life---no one seems to mind. :)

righthanded 5 years, 1 month ago

You people who work for a living can spend that extra $13.00 a week that you will be receiving on your paycheck on a $9.00 burger and a beer!

Ate there....very good!

awl 5 years, 1 month ago

"The burgers were good, but definitely not the best. And even with the quality, they were overpriced. I have had better burgers at several places that were between $5.00 and $7.50. This place may last in Lawrence but it wouldn't make it anywhere else."

regarding this statement you can go to KC to Blanc Burgers and bottles. They now have TWO locations and doing very well. Upscale burgers and very tasty too.

I think I should stick up for Thatgirl2, why does it matter if she likes good food? It really is a great place, but fine dining it is not. You will get good quality food that tastes good in a relaxed environment. I have read the remaining points and have come to the conclusion that too many of you have WAY to much time on your hands. Stop the insults they are just mean.

not_holroyd 5 years, 1 month ago

I bet one of those Red-Hat Dollies of Dalhart would make Hawk a nice home cooked lunch if he would move there.

Problem solved.

The end.

not_holroyd 5 years, 1 month ago

Awwww. Poor Hawk wants different restaurants. Life is soooooo difficult in Lawrence. Especially when all you do is complain. Maybe the restaurants don't want Hawk?

That Big Texan Steakhouse in Dalhart will give him lots of variety. I bet they even have a 'surf-n-turf special for him. And none of that tofu. Tofu trees are so hard to grow in the Panhandle.

...and all with free Cowboy Poetry.....they don't need no stinking Moronic Temple.

Nirvana for Hawk.

ArumerZwarteHoop 5 years, 1 month ago

You want a five dollar sit down dinner, try somewhere in the third world.

Thinking_Out_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

hawkperchedatriverfront wondered "Why cant we have someplace downtown or on the east side of Iowa that has a $4.95 meatloaf dinner."

hawkperchedatriverfront, have you not tried Kelly's Diner at 19th & Haskell? Is Charlie's still at 9th & Penn? They had good grill food last time I was in. And Set'Em Up Jack's had good comfort food, too. These are all on the east side.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 1 month ago

middlemngntm, today the Roadhouse in North Lawrence had brisket, mashed potatoes and gravy and sides for $6.95 for lunch. I am going to try that the next time. Henry T's had meatloaf for $4.95.

I am tired of hamburgers and mexican food.

And chinese too.

JackRipper 5 years, 1 month ago

ThatGirl2, was the 19th amendment such a good idea?

middlemgmt 5 years, 1 month ago

I think $9 bucks is a decent price to try something new. I see lines of people at Chili's and Applebees and I'm sure they are spending $9. Heck Chipotle is almost $9. I can't wait to try it.

ThatGirl2 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh, let me be clear--I don't care at all about "the issues."

JackRipper 5 years, 1 month ago

I'd say bored but I've been bored for some time by the Lawrence citizens who claim to be concerned about the issues but always willing to put that aside for some self indulgence. Jealous? Of having to pay $9 for a hamburger I can make at home for much less using local products? Nah, I don't think so.

folksRfunny 5 years, 1 month ago

its ok thatgirl, he's just mad cause all of the squirrels in his frontyard are to fast for him, so now he's all hungry and cranky. while im tired and full from eating lobster and steak off of my diamod and gold dinner plate and using my 100 doller bills as a napkin. ... no really im being serious here! sooooooo full!

lol hey jack, jealousy gets you nowhere! and if your not jealous then your just pathetic and lazy(or bored,and if thats the case then touche! cuz I am to)

JackRipper 5 years, 1 month ago

But thatgirl2 what can he do with a good ol gray or fox squirrel? Sure you can import stuff from all over the place but soon that $9 is going to cost a whole lot more. Unfortunately right now it is just adding to the arrogant misuse of resources. Eat at Local Burger and help keep what we will be needing soon growing. Try squirrel thought, it's the other white meat.

ThatGirl2 5 years, 1 month ago

kthxbi (Anonymous) says…

thatgirl2- JackRipper is obviously not that bright, and mean spirited as well. Why bother to respond to him/her/it?

Excellent point! I guess I'll blame it on boredom. He/she/it was acting like a hillbilly caricature so I thought I would respond in kind. Obviously, the joke went over someone's head. (A few people actually!).

Although I still don't think $9 for a meal is a bad deal!

JackRipper 5 years, 1 month ago

MyName you need some time in the kitchen. Are you working on your favorite squirrel recipes?

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 1 month ago

It's worth the drive across country to eat at In and Out.

Nuff said.

MyName 5 years, 1 month ago

@JackRipper:

Bad trolls are bad.

Good trolls are full of win and lulz not epic phail like your posts.

That is all.

JackRipper 5 years, 1 month ago

Maybe she could also learn how to cook. Cooking a great hamburger isn't rocket science and gives a person the kind of satisfaction that gives them the confidence where they don't have to imitate their favorite tasteless heros like Paris Hilton. Cooking, it's wholesome and it's fun.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 1 month ago

ThatGirl2: You're not to bright are you?

um????

maybe you could go to grammar class after your tanning session, or would that be too much?

JackRipper 5 years, 1 month ago

kthxbi I prefer it. Yes, it is me who is not too bright. Paris you have a friend.

kthxbi 5 years, 1 month ago

JackRipper 5 years, 1 month ago

Ah yes, enjoy it while you can. Soon Mr Krause's way of cooking will impossible. What he can do with Lawrence gray squirrels and catfish from the Kaw will be the real test of his genius.

ThatGirl2 5 years, 1 month ago

Well, if you insist. ;)

I'd love to stay and annoy you, but I have a tanning appointment--getting all bronzed for my tropical vacation in two short weeks.

Have fun debating the finer points of fast food!

JackRipper 5 years, 1 month ago

Go put your big Paris Hilton sunglasses on and give us a little attitude. America flounders in its last gasps of air.

ThatGirl2 5 years, 1 month ago

You're not to bright are you? Did you fail to catch the "big whoop."

That was my point spanky, I'm not special at all. I just like a good burger. :)

JackRipper 5 years, 1 month ago

So are prostitutes in Las Vegas. Wow, you are special.

ThatGirl2 5 years, 1 month ago

And if one thinks eating at Dempsy's is "flaunting their wealth"--well, they don't get out much.

ThatGirl2 5 years, 1 month ago

Why am I full of myself? Because I don't chastise people for spending their money as they please? That's what Jack was doing and it was pointless.

(PS: I do have it figured out, I am young, and well paid. Big whoop).

JackRipper 5 years, 1 month ago

Soon, thank goodness, flaunting ones wealth won't be just bad taste like anyone with any upbringing would know but will also be best kept a secret.

shockchalk 5 years, 1 month ago

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like someone is really full of themselves!!!! Wow, ThatGirl2 must have alot of money. She can buy a 9.00 burger and not even think about it........

JackRipper 5 years, 1 month ago

Go for it girl. You have it all figured out it looks like. Just remember that when it comes to fighting over squirrel meat. I hope you are really young so you have an excuse.

ThatGirl2 5 years, 1 month ago

What's the matter Jack? Can't afford it?

Some of us can, and I for one totally admit to enjoying some of the best life has to offer. I don't think that means I'm "living large" but even if I am, so what?

JackRipper 5 years, 1 month ago

Yes ThatGirl2 we wouldn't expect anything less in Lawrence than living large. Does the brilliant Mr Krause do anything with local supplies or is he shipping in everything around the world to cater to his high expectations? What a bunch of self indulgent yuppies and their spawn. Don't you people hear the train? It's coming. Squirrel meat will be a gourmet before too long.

ThatGirl2 5 years, 1 month ago

Crappy pizza usually goes for a lot more than $9. I would much rather pay for a gourmet burger.

Defender 5 years, 1 month ago

5 guys sucks, absolutely terrible. Tasteless burger, and fries that taste like they have yet to be cooked. I ate there once, but never, ever again.

And 9 bucks for a burger? Sorry, not gonna go. If you want a great burger, go to Topeka to Clay's American Grill on Gage. Incredible diner style burger, in, well, a diner.

Plus, a burger should not be messed with. Pickled cauliflower? Sorry, that is a side item, not something that should be on a burger.

right_is_right 5 years, 1 month ago

That sounds like a challenge. What kind of beer?

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 1 month ago

$9.00 for a cheeseburger? Geez Louise!! Come to my house and I'll be more than happy to make you a $9.00 cheeseburger. It will be three pounds, cooked to your liking and flavor and have all the fixins'. Plus, I'll throw in a free beer!

Phil Minkin 5 years, 1 month ago

Also, give the meatloaf sandwich a try. It's real comfort food.

awl 5 years, 1 month ago

This place has the best burgers in town. Hands down. They are big, flavorful, and incredibly delicious. The Falafel burger is amazing. The pickled cauliflower is great! I really hope they do well. I have been telling everyone I know to go there. The Chili burger is great too! The truffle fries? are soooo yummy! For all of you who are nixing it even before you try it, don't be close minded, try something new =) By the way, I have had Five Guys, tooooooo greasy and expensive, but pretty tasty...Dempsey's is much better though!

Joe Hyde 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm still mourning the loss of Quickie's -- that mirror-sided drive-thru burger joint at the north entrance of the Mall Shopping Center, 23rd and Louisiana. (Closed sometime in the late 1980s, early 90s.) Freshest, best burgers I ever ate. Leaf lettuce, real sliced tomato...

This new place on Vermont sounds good; I'll try it.

right_is_right 5 years, 1 month ago

I stand korrected. I hope they'll serve mine rare enough to leave a pool of blood on the plate to dip my fries in.

King_Kaun 5 years, 1 month ago

woodenfleaeater - hahahahhahaha!!!! nice!

claireredfield - there is a Falafel burger with tsziki sauce, pickled red onions, and pickled cauliflower!!

madmike 5 years, 1 month ago

Claire, get over it! Meat, it's what's for dinner. Or, stay home and eat tofu!

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 1 month ago

I know his father played overseas, but I don't think Kobe is Japanese. I think he went to high school in Chicago.

claireredfield 5 years, 1 month ago

I certainly hope there will be some kind of gourmet veggie burger to be had. Everything else mentioned so far sounds positively revolting. LOL!

Ragingbear 5 years, 1 month ago

Because we all know that when the economy starts to fall apart, that the demand for $25 plates of food will rise...

King_Kaun 5 years, 1 month ago

Actually, they don't specify in this article, right_is_right, but it is American Kobe Beef.

If it was authentic Japanese Kobe beef it would be more like $20+ for the burger....not $9.

It is still delicious, however!! It's also HUGE!!!!!!!

(I do get the humor in your post, r_i_r, but I just wanted to clarify on the beef! I brought one of the menu's home with me and it says its American Kobe.)

right_is_right 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm sorry, but Kobe beef is from Japan, and the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor, remember? Eating at this establishment would be unpatriotic in my opinion, completely un-American. And blue cheese is French for God's sake. Where's the "American" burger on this menu? God bless American beef!

JackRipper 5 years, 1 month ago

Consumers of Lawrence play on the beach indulging themselves, oblivious to the tsunami coming in off the coast. It won't be pretty.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 1 month ago

I hope the economy doesn't wreck him...

Original_Me 5 years, 1 month ago

Kaun, you've made me want to go down there today for lunch. SWEET POTATO fries? OHHHH! WHAT A BONUS! I love them with salty-ketchup!

King_Kaun 5 years, 1 month ago

Just tried this place this weekend. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes...it costs more than your average burger, but for darn good reason!! You can taste the difference in your first bite! If you even REMOTELY like Bleu Cheese, you have to try the Black and Blue!!! It has the apple chutney sauce on it that blends perfectly with the bleu cheese. Amazing!! And the sweet potato fries....they get you hooked! Dempsey's is just a cool place in general. They even have great drink specials on Fridays and Saturdays, which is rare...

GO TRY THESE BURGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aimee Polson 5 years, 1 month ago

Is it open for lunch, or just dinner?

spankyandcranky 5 years, 1 month ago

Yummy ... I will have to try it soon. Variety is the spice of life. I love trying normal food with an unusual twist!

Original_Me 5 years, 1 month ago

If you are closed-minded, don't read this. Kick around the burger, please! Same ol' is always going to be there. (McD's, BK, Arby's, Wendy's, 5 Guys.) That burger joint sounds like a winner. Oh heck yeah, play with food. Play with old favorites, the worst that could happen is that you don't like it. The culinary world is young & there is so much food yet to be discovered. If you don't have an open mind & adventurous approach with food, you either have to be allergic, broke, just a plain ol' chicken $h!t, or just that boring. Everybody should know, you'll get what you pay for.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 1 month ago

nine dollars for a burger? ~chuckle~ I guess the recession isn't that bad after all...

b_asinbeer 5 years, 1 month ago

5 Guys???? You've got to be kidding. Been there once, and never going back again:

1)Overpriced. 2)Fries are over-hyped. 3)I've had better burgers.

I'll definitely check this place out though.

nugget 5 years, 1 month ago

Best burger in town. Hands down.

Norma Jeane Baker 5 years, 1 month ago

5 Guys? Seriously? Ate at the one in Olathe. Once. Never again.

But I'll give this place a shot.

d_prowess 5 years, 1 month ago

Jeremy: For those of us not in the know, what happened with Rick's place? I guess I always just assumed they didn't like that location and moved to what I thought was probably a better one off of ninth. Is there more?

jaywalker 5 years, 1 month ago

left,

If you say so. Not a fan of plain cauliflower, but will have to try this version if I get a chance on your recco.

Agree with Clickker, 5 guys rocks baby!

nathan 5 years, 1 month ago

@Clickker - you need to get out more.

The Kobe Burger is the best burger I've had in years. Bravo guys!

Jeremy 5 years, 1 month ago

This is just free advertising for Compton's failing bar.

For what he and the bank did to Rick's place, I will never, ever, eat or drink there!

rusty_hearts_roulette 5 years, 1 month ago

rusty_hearts_roulette 5 years, 1 month ago

Left_handed 5 years, 1 month ago

Pickled cauliflower is pretty good, I had it (of all places) when I was in the Navy. It was shipped in tin cans and was pretty dang tasty.

coldplay 5 years, 1 month ago

a $7 burger is upscale? holy chit the economy must be in the crapper!

Chris Ogle 5 years, 1 month ago

Those guys can cook.. if they just had that diet Kobe burger I would be there everyday.

Steven Gaudreau 5 years, 1 month ago

The Kobe burger is the best burger I have ever tasted. All the cooks from Tellers were there eating the same night I had the Kobe burger and they told me they had been there the night before and had come back for more.