Agenda highlights • 6:35 p.m. Tuesday • City Hall, Sixth and Massachusetts streets • Sunflower Broadband Channel 25 • Meeting documents online at www.lawrenceks.org
Use of churches as shelters discussed
City commissioners will consider new regulations regarding the ability of churches to serve as temporary homeless shelters.
Commissioners originally were ready to approve an ordinance that would allow churches to temporarily serve as homeless shelters, as long as the churches only served families with children. That would accommodate a new program — Family Promise — that is operating in the city. But attorneys for the city have said that limitation could be legally problematic. Instead, they said the limitation on the type of people served should be removed, which would give churches across the city the ability to serve as traditional homeless shelters for up to 15 nights per quarter.
• Proclaim Feb. 28 as 40 Years of Women’s Sports at Kansas University.
• Presentation of award for the 19th and Louisiana Streets Improvement Project.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Feb. 10.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the Department of Administrative Services.
• Approve appointments as recommended by the mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a.) Award City Bid No. B09006, Project No. PW0816, 2008 Sidewalk Gap Program to RD Johnson Excavating Co. in the amount of $235,801.05.
b.) Authorize payment of annual telephone maintenance charges per agreement with ISS Inc. for $20,639.
c.) Authorize payment to Douglas County, not to exceed $15,130.50, for updated 2009 aerial photography.
• Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading:
a.) Ordinance No. 8363, regarding revisions to Downtown Design Guidelines and amending Chapter 20, Article 3, Section 308, UC Urban Conservation Overlay District.
b.) Ordinance No. 8369, authorizing a special use permit (SUP-12-10-08) to allow light equipment repair for Car Toys (stereo installation) at The Malls, located at 711 W. 23rd St.
c.) Ordinance No. 8370, to rezone (Z-11-18-08) 11,715 square feet located at 1245 Conn. from RS5 (Single-Dwelling Residential) to RSO (Single-Dwelling Residential Office).
d.) Ordinance No. 8372, to rezone 37,500 square feet at 1740 Mass. from RM24 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) to CS (Commercial Strip).
• Authorize the city manager to sign operating agreements regarding athletic fields with the Lawrence school district.
• Receive 2008 Annual Utility System Development Charges Report.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Consider adopting on second and final reading Ordinance No. 8371, to rezone (Z-11-20-08) 140,090 square feet at 2141 Maple Lane from RS7 (Single-Dwelling Residential) to RMO (Multi-Dwelling Residential Office).
• Receive staff report regarding text amendment related to TA-04-03-08, shelters in religious institutions.
• Consider authorizing staff to submit FY 2010 federal appropriations (earmark) requests to the city’s congressional delegation.