Archive for Friday, February 20, 2009

Jim Ellena, former auto dealer, dies at 61

February 20, 2009

Jim Ellena

Jim Ellena

During his decades in the car business in Lawrence and elsewhere, Jim Ellena liked to attract attention to his dealerships to get people on the lot.

“He was quite a promoter in his day,” said his brother John Ellena. “He had a knack for promotions and that sort of thing.”

Before he returned to Lawrence to partner with his father Jack Ellena in the early 1980s, Jim Ellena turned a Honda Accord into a limousine to attract attention outside his Honda dealership in the St. Louis area.

Jim Ellena, who ran several dealerships in Lawrence until the late 1990s, died Tuesday at his home in Cathedral City, Calif. He was 61.

In 1983, he partnered with his father in Lawrence, and in 1985 they separated the business. Jim Ellena took over the Oldsmobile and GMC dealership at 2112 W. 29th Terrace.

Jim Ellena also purchased and sold several other franchises, and he was best known for the Jim Ellena Autoplex, his brother said.

He semi-retired in the late 1990s when he sold his franchises, and he began to split time between Lawrence and his home in Naples, Fla. Three years ago, Jim Ellena moved to California, and he also worked as a general sales manager for a Volvo dealership in Palm Springs, Calif.

Jack Ellena, the patriarch of the family, died in 1995.

In a Journal-World interview at the time, Jim Ellena said his father was his mentor.

“He always did well with people. It was important to him to make sure the people that worked for him were taken care of,” Jim Ellena said.

John Ellena, the current dealer principal for Jack Ellena Honda, said his brother also developed his own style over his business career.

“My brother and my father were two different styles of managers and leaders,” John Ellena said. “They were both examples of different attitudes and opinions of how you run a business.”

A Mass of Christian Burial for Jim Ellena will be 10 a.m. Monday at Corpus Christi Catholic Church, 6001 Bob Billings Parkway.

Comments

righthanded 5 years, 1 month ago

I guess I had always assumed that nurses were 'sensitive' 'caring' people.

My bad. Guess some just have no heart at all.

What a witch you are ms. hyphenated name.

Benjamin Roberts 5 years, 1 month ago

Gina, First, you are the one who chose to illuminate everyone with your name and occupation; if you do not intend for it to have consequence to your posts then remove them from your profile.

Second, I have no idea why you are telling me about your hyphenated name; I made no comment about that. But, if "a hyphenated name doesn't mean anything," by all means feel free to change it to something that does mean something.

Third, maturity - as measured by you - is of little significance. You are the one who, regarding an article about the death of a local icon said, "This is news worthy?" A mature person would have thought that comment through and not made it.

Finally, you can try to spin the comment, but words have meanings. Your meaning was clear: This article is not newsworthy. Should you wish to demonstrate maturity than retract the statement and apologize for the insensitive remark. Otherwise, stand by it and either accept the criticism or continue to whine.

Please notice, this was written with no name calling or inference of name calling; such as your dog inference about me, “Now go lay at Marion's feet and wait for your pat on the head.” I could easily have referred to you as “Nurse Ratched” but chose not to do so.

llama726 5 years, 1 month ago

I see where Gina's coming from. I don't think people are their job, at least I hope people don't solely identify themselves by the work they do. There's a lot more to life than the job. As usual, though, the hyper reactionary forces of Lawrence's online commentary army are responding with their usual character attacks.

Best wishes to the family.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 1 month ago

Gina, don't know and could care less about meeting you, but it is not always necessary to list charities and charitable work. Many of the most honorable and generous people I know, DO NOT announce their gifts to charity, for obvious reasons, the hands are out then.

Go out to Oak Hill and look at tombstones. Did it make any difference?

I will make sure my headstone reads: Here lies Hawk, resting in peace, finally "laid" at last :)

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 1 month ago

Did, real mature to "investigate" posters on here and hide behind your own anonymous self. Being an nurse is what I do not who I am. And, having a hyphonated name doesn't mean anything. Now go lay at Marion's feet and wait for your pat on the head.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh for crying out loud. I was commenting on the reporting....all it listed was the businesses he owned. Big whoop. What about any charitable work? What made him any more special than any other business owner in Lawrence. Cartainly, my condolences to the Ellena family, meaning no disrespect. Just thought the article was lacking, in other wise, not news worthy (and yes I meant to spell it that way).

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 1 month ago

Gina - Jim was a big Lawrence business owner, whose name was well-known around Lawrence. I think that rates a story. How many people in Lawrence know who you are? If his death doesn't deserve the small story it got, then you don't deserve an obit when you die.

Clickker 5 years, 1 month ago

is there an Obit? did he have any siblings/kids? This article is incomplete

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey, let's all pat Marion on the back for countering Gina's insensitivity with his typical brand of misogyny!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 1 month ago

I think you guys about covered it. Except..too darned many people over 50 dying around here! So far, it's been mostly classmate's parents..but now, the classmates are dying too. RIP Jim.

kasper 5 years, 1 month ago

jim elena was a lawrence icon. i graduated with his daughter and his son was one year older than i. i wish them and all of the family peace in this difficult time.

DouglasCountySucks 5 years, 1 month ago

Jim will be missed. I worked for him and he was allways a solid guy.I used to work on his Ferrari and best thing was the test drive.Jack was also a class act.Both treated employees great and gave you a hand up if you needed it.Those two helped thousands in the lawrence area back in the day.RIP Jim ,Say hi to "Jack"for me.PS this is news worthy !!!

Benjamin Roberts 5 years, 1 month ago

Gina exhibits an amazing lack of sensitivity for a Registered Nurse that works as a "Resident Care Coordinator". That kind of deflates the “Angel of Mercy” expectation.

It is even quite surprising considering that she wrote a blog about Greg Hansen's death; which, by the way, was also newsworthy. Ironically, Mr. Hansen co-founded the Kansas Patriot Guard which establishes a protective boundary around a fallen soldier’s funeral in order to protect and show respect.

Yes, Gina, "This is news worthy"! Please, try to show some respect.

By the way, Gina, “news worthy” is not newsworthy.

Marion, I think that about covers it.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 1 month ago

Now Marion, you understand when I speak of menopausal divorcees as being a problem in Lawrence and the neighborhood groups?

Marion Lynn 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh, wait , Gina (Gina Bailey-Carbaugh) !

You have an hyphenated last name!

Forgot that you are "special".

You got me started becauise you are a dumb..........

never mind

.....you impugn the memory of nice guy because you are such an ignorant .....................

never mind.........

Marion Lynn 5 years, 1 month ago

lawthing 5 years, 1 month ago

He did not live to be really old, but he did make the most of the years he had!