Archive for Thursday, February 19, 2009

Two men rob delivery driver at knifepoint

A Lawrence delivery driver had a big scare this morning when two suspects robbed her at knifepoint.

February 19, 2009, 2:12 a.m. Updated February 19, 2009, 3:08 a.m.

Lawrence police are searching for two men who robbed a Pizza Shuttle delivery driver at knifepoint early Thursday morning.

The 32-year-old Pizza Shuttle employee, a Lawrence resident, was delivering pizzas to a duplex in the 2400 block of Ousdahl Road at 12:25 a.m. Two men, who covered their faces with bandanas, approached her when she exited the car.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl said the driver discarded the pizzas and tried to flee but couldn’t escape quickly enough.

“They contacted her inside the car and made her relinquish her wallet,” Hadl said. “They took her cell phone and allowed her to leave.”

The Pizza Shuttle employee last saw the suspects running south on Ousdahl Road. She quickly drove back to Pizza Shuttle, about a block from the robbery, and called police. She was not injured.

Police later found her cell phone on a nearby roof and used a fire truck ladder to retrieve it.

The suspects are described as two black men, 5-foot-8 to 5-foot-10 with medium builds who are 18 to 20 years old. They wore dark hooded sweatshirts and blue jeans.

Hadl said the incident wasn’t the first attempt to rob a delivery driver that night.

“We are investigating the probability that this is related to an early attempt to rob a Pizza Hut delivery driver,” she said.

About an hour before the Pizza Shuttle driver called police, officials responded to a similar call in the same area.

Hadl said that Pizza Hut employees were suspicious about an order they received. So they called the customer’s phone before they stepped out of the car to deliver the pizza. They saw a man nearby answering his cell phone and decided to call off the delivery. The man matched the suspect description.

Anybody with information about the incidents is asked to call Douglas County dispatchers, 832-7210. Callers who want to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers, 843-TIPS.

Comments

hawkman8950 6 years, 4 months ago

Great, looks like some of the lowest common denominators of my neighborhood are at it again. Thanks for waking me up twice you two home slices having the emergency vehicles come through assweepehhs! Try to rob a bank or something, you may not get the money doing that but at least you'll get shelter out east of town and some meals everyday losers

Chris Ogle 6 years, 4 months ago

not another robbery in Lawrence. Please tell me it aint so.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 4 months ago

The Pizza Hut I.Q. looks a little higher than the Pizza Shuttle I.Q.

If you want to know where the wallet is, you'll probably find it on Redbud Lane, in a dumpster.

loloen 6 years, 4 months ago

I bet Yosemite Sam wants his guns back, beawolf.

smarty_pants 6 years, 4 months ago

As the economy worsens, we'll see more and more of this. Everyone should be on guard and aware of their surroundings.

woodenfleaeater 6 years, 4 months ago

All the more reason for concealed carry. If a few people got shot while trying to rob a pizza delivery driver, people may think twice before trying to rob one...Just sayin'

jaywalker 6 years, 4 months ago

"the colored folks"? Nice. For an Al Jolson impersonator.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 4 months ago

Beowolf's gun could bring down a dino.

Has anyone seen the six-shooters on the Red Raider's mascot? 2.00 caliber.

Boston_Corbett 6 years, 4 months ago

Yea Marion, with this nations plethora of handguns due to the ilk like you, sooner or later it will happen.

Sharon Aikins 6 years, 4 months ago

Oh goody, an armed delivery person at my door. And me with my gun in the other room. Have this image in my head of me going to the door to get my pizza carrying my gun and open it to a delivery person standing there with one pointed at me.

Seriously though, what are the chances of one person getting back into her car, finding her gun, pointing and shooting at two people? Could be like a similar case here where while the victim shot one perp, the other perp shot him. This mentality of everything being solved by a gun mystifies me. With my luck, I'd probably try to pull it out of my pocket in my panic, it would get caught and trying to get it loose, I would shoot myself in the leg. These things aren't scripted, it ain't the movies.

What I find really stupid though is robbing a delivery person who carries usually no more than $20 unless I'm just hungry and don't have the money for a pizza. Then I'm gonna try this and maybe get myself shot to boot? These are tough times but really, $20 worth it? If I was that hard up, I would wait around for the police and be assured of a warm place to sleep and three squares a day.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 4 months ago

Redmoon- Crack and Meth heads don't think. If they did, they would set the pipe down and eat the pizza.

d_prowess 6 years, 4 months ago

Maybe my reading comprehension isn't very good today, but someone help me understand this line: "the driver discarded the pizzas and tried to flee in her vehicle but couldn't escape quickly enough." So does that mean she was able to get in her car and start driving, but somehow still couldn't get away? I can't believe that is right, so I'm confused how they could stop her if she was in her car and driving.

asleepinthechapel 6 years, 4 months ago

Must have been terrifying.

d_prowess -

Have you ever had to run from anyone? We all make fun of the silly little girls who trip and fall and sex their way to sacrifice in the horror movies, but for real, running away from people is not easy.

And I don't think she'd started the car before they got to her, so that would be how she didn't get away. Would have been nice if she could have started the car and then run over a foot or something and injured them badly enough to send them to LMH, where they could then be escorted away by LPD. But no, justice is generally never comes quickly if it comes at all.

Glad everyone's OK and hope they catch these creeps.

cthulhu_4_president 6 years, 4 months ago

it doesn't say she started driving. Rather, the sentance says that she was in her car when she was attempting to flee. It never says if her attempt got so far as starting her car. Guys were probably in the car with her before she got the keys out.

wysiwyg69 6 years, 4 months ago

my #1 problem with this situation is why in the hell is a female delivering pizza or for that matter anything, at this time of the night. Very stupid pizza shuttle for putting a female in this situation. Whether she needs a job or not, it is not safe for a female to be doing this.

Confrontation 6 years, 4 months ago

Just make all customers pay with a credit card or through PayPal (online, obviously). You want to use cash? Go pick it up at the restaurant.

d_prowess 6 years, 4 months ago

asleep, I wasn't implying that she did anything wrong or was mocking her. I truly wanted some better explanation because from the way I read that statement i thought it was implying that she did in fact get the car in motion. But I think you and cthulhu are probably right, she got into her car, but they were there before it was started up. Thanks for the clarification.

asleepinthechapel 6 years, 4 months ago

d_prowess -

I didn't think you were. But I did want to call attention to the fact that it's not easy to run. Unless you're Kenyan.

kmat 6 years, 4 months ago

wysiwg69 - what a wonderfully sexist comment. Up yours. So now we have to discriminate against females for jobs where there is a possible risk of being robbed? So females shouldn't be allowed to work at liquor stores, convenience stores, banks. What other jobs do you think females should be banned from. Do we discriminate against small men for these jobs as well? What if the female is tall and well built? What is she knows martial arts? I guess many factory jobs should be banned too then since stupid little females shouldn't be working around those big machines.

Hell, lets just ban women from being out in public unless they have male escort, just like they do in Saudia Arabia. Then no one would have to worry about us poor, defenseless little women getting in harms way.

See how stupid your comment is?

To all the gun freaks out there that think almost everyone should be packing heat - if this woman had been packing and opened fire or even pulled the gun on these guys, do you really think one person, in the heat of the moment, would have been able to take down two armed guys and get away? Nope! Most likely, she would have ended up dead. You all have these scenarios in your head of what you'd do if someone tried to rob a place you were in, but everything's different when it's real. People will go into panic mode when threatened and most likely end up hurt themselves. People should do what bankers are taught to do, give them what they want and get away and let the police take care of them. Your life is more important than protecting a little bit of cash, your car, etc....

Paul Geisler 6 years, 4 months ago

wysiwig69 - That is such a sexist thing to say! Are you suggesting that it's not safe for any 32 yr old woman to be out by herself after midnight in Lawrence? Whether you are delivering pizzas or out for a walk in your neighborhood you're still at risk for attack with thugs like this looking for some easy money. At least she has a job and is trying to earn a living!

asleepinthechapel 6 years, 4 months ago

kmat & magnus -

Google "troll" then revisit the comment that's got you up in arms.

Seriously. Playing on the internet is dangerous. Be sure you read up on it before you dive in.

kmat 6 years, 4 months ago

asleep - thanks for feeling like you need to protect us poor little women that are pissed at the stupid comments made here. Are you being a little sexist?

I know what a frickin' troll is. I also know that there are still a ton of stupid sexist jerks and I've heard many people make that same comment.

So, I will express what I want to express. You can just keep on feeling like your oh so smart. Go back to sleep.

asleepinthechapel 6 years, 4 months ago

Seems like somebody pissed in kmat's Post Toasties. How sad.

Kmat - Defender of poor little women the whole world around! She will stamp out sexism with one bitter rant after another! We shall all be saved! PUH-LEASE.

Oh, and just so you know (you obviously didn't get it) - I wasn't protecting you - I was pointing out how foolish you look ranting at someone who was obviously trolling. Someone everyone else recognized as a troll and moved on.

But hey - you can get glad in the same pants (or skirt) you got mad in. Keep on ranting, if that's the only thing you know how to do.

So, I will express what I want to express, and point out pointlessness where I see fit.

You're the one who needs a nap.

blindrabbit 6 years, 4 months ago

Did not mention if the perps were from Topeka; maybe not!! We've probably outgrown the need to have outsiders do our dirty work!!

kmat 6 years, 4 months ago

Well asleep - wysiwig69 isn't one that tends to make comments like that on here. He's usually logical. So, I don't assume he's being a troll since that's not what he usually does. But of course, you know everything so you'd know if he was trolling. I guess it takes a troll to know a troll, huh? Let's see, you're just commenting to piss me off, so yeah, you'd know.

blindrabbit 6 years, 4 months ago

Why 9 kids; not to go back to ZPG but what and when's enough?, we've already got 300+ million in the county! Otherwise I agree!

otto 6 years, 4 months ago

I am getting one of these - and then I am going to apply for a pizza delivery job.

d_prowess 6 years, 4 months ago

jesuslovingmom, please don't prey on pizza deliverers! From this story, they already have enough trouble and don't need you to try to get them. Ohhh, you meant pray... ;)

FiremanChris 6 years, 4 months ago

The only real solution to situations like this are for the drivers to arm themselves. As far as the people who say that the victim couldn't have effectively defended herself with a firearm, I think they aren't taking into account the effectiveness of a firearm and the mentality of two men who rob a woman at night with a knife. People like those two men are cowards, and probably couldn't have fought with that knife had they been trained. There is a good reason why they go after that easy crime of opportunity, and it's because the criminals know it will be easy and they will meet little resistance. Most people that are victims are so completely shocked to find themselves on the losing end of a crime that they don't put up a defense, and criminals like these well know that. Consider that the perpetrators are two men, robbing an unaware female victim at night; they didn't need the knife, nor did they have any intent of using it (likely nor could they). Other than upping what they'll eventually be charged with, it provided them with needed assurance. That's why a gun defense would be so effective. These men are cowards to begin with, and I'd bet that merely pointing a gun at them would have been enough. As the saying goes, "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight."

jehovah_bob 6 years, 4 months ago

Multi -- "Maybe the robbers were like the raging chimp that opened the officers car door and came after him. The officer then shot him."

I find your comment comparing the robbers to chimpanzees offensive and insensitive to the racist history of America and I demand an apology.

mamsir 6 years, 4 months ago

jeessuuussss.... leave the pizza shuttle drivers alone!! wtf??!!

bevy 6 years, 4 months ago

I'll bet they just brought the knife to cut up the pizza! They got what they wanted - she dropped the yummy pizzas, still safe in their boxes. They got her money and her phone. They must not have been smart enough to turn it off before they threw it on a roof - I'm picturing a group of officers calling her number and trying to find the phone in the dark.

Seriously, though. Glad the driver was not hurt. My first thought was "Pepper Spray!" It's non-lethal, it marks the offender - just look for the guys with the red running eyes - and it would have given her time to get away. She could keep it in one hand and the pizzas in the other.

AngelHG 6 years, 4 months ago

I worked across the street from "The Bud" a.k.a. Redbud Lane, the majority of its residents were customers at our store, I consider many of them my friends and I know what a dangerous place areas like it can be. Because this is a college town, and housing costs are RICIDULOUS, it forces single moms and other good hardworking people to live side by side with some of the scariest people I've ever known. These people would kill you for 20 dollars and laugh about it. That's what drugs like meth and crack do to people, they kill your sense of right and wrong, everything seems justifiable to these people. The police have been aware of this problem for a VERY long time and only come over there when someone calls. They need to patrol these areas. Alot of times no one will call the police because they are scared something will happen to them. No one should have to carry a weapon to do their job, except the police. Somebody should find out where they've been the past few months.

wysiwyg69 6 years, 4 months ago

thanks Kmat, I guess... I did not mean for this to come off sexist. I am stating that it is not safe for a female to do this kind of work at this time of night. I would not want my wife or daughter to be in a situation like what happened.. I am not a sexist and just think it is not very safe for a female of any age or, some men to be out alone at this time of night with the nuts in this town.

asleepinthechapel 6 years, 4 months ago

My bad. Here I thought wysiwyg69 was trolling with a sexist comment and all he was doing was saying that women shouldn't be let out of the house because it's dangerous.

wysiwyg69 - You may not mean for it to sound sexist, but it is sexist.

None of us want our wives or daughters or husbands or sons in a situation like this. But upstanding members of the public shouldn't have to adjust the way they live their lives to accommodate the criminals.

All (due) apologies to kmat, of course.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

j_b, were you were okay with the President being caricatured as a chimp for the last 8 years?

Paul Geisler 6 years, 4 months ago

If walks like a chimp and talks like a chimp.....and dances like a chimp.......well, you know the rest!

Paul Geisler 6 years, 4 months ago

Oops! I meant "If HE walks like a......"

CarterFaucheaux 6 years, 4 months ago

when will these delivery drivers wise up and start carrying guns?

Thinking_Out_Loud 6 years, 4 months ago

bevy wrote "They must not have been smart enough to turn it off before they threw it on a roof...."

I doubt they cared much whether it was on or off--they likely just didn't want her calling 911 from her car. This gave them time to get farther away. Hence tossing it on a roof.

hawkman8950 6 years, 4 months ago

Chimp or no chimps, if they wanted to come in abulldoze Hampton court where i live and all that then fine by me! I used to work here and met alot of the characters that reside here that's for sure. I am willing to move at this point and only been in my apartment for three years now.

FiremanChris 6 years, 4 months ago

I agree with you completely, Marion. I just prefer .40 S&W myself.

Kyle Reed 6 years, 4 months ago

Here is a hint HEY_FUQ...Apparently she already IS risking her life for $20 and a couple pizzas. Try to keep up.

Kyle Reed 6 years, 4 months ago

So how about instead of calling Marion an idiot you offer up one of those other solutions? That was exactly what his post was looking for.

dirtykaw 6 years, 4 months ago