Archive for Tuesday, February 17, 2009

KSU’s Clemente suspended for tonight’s game

February 17, 2009, 2:37 p.m. Updated February 17, 2009, 2:40 p.m.

Kansas State guard Denis Clemente has been suspended one game by KSU coach Frank Martin for Clemente's actions against Kansas in Saturday's game at Manhattan. Clemente will serve his suspension during tonight's home game against North Carolina Central.

“Denis is a very passionate and competitive young man who knows he made a mistake,” Martin said. “His actions on Saturday are not acceptable and he has to do a better job of maintaining his composure. Denis is the leader of this basketball team and we are 100-percent supportive of him during this time.”

Video replays showed Clemente struck KU's Tyrel Reed in the head while Reed was boxing him out after a free throw with 31 seconds left.

“I am very sorry for my actions on Saturday,” Clemente said. “I understand that I let my emotions get the best of me and, more importantly, I let my team down.”

According to a K-State release, "Clemente committed a fighting act as defined by Section 4 of the NCAA Basketball Rules and must serve a suspension for the next contest."

“The Conference accepts this action and I commend Coach Martin for taking the initiative and implementing action that demonstrates his continued commitment to conduct his program with sportsmanship," Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe said. “I also appreciate Mr. Clemente’s acknowledgement of his mistake.”

KU coach Bill Self commented on the suspension this afternoon: "Denis is a heck of a player. He played well against us in a hard-fought game. By no means did we pursue this situation at all."

Comments

spankyandcranky 5 years, 10 months ago

Good job Coach Martin. I agree with Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe -- well said. My thoughts exactly.

Eride 5 years, 10 months ago

The right thing for Coach Martin to have done is to have sat him after the intentional technical foul on Brady. There is no way ANY KU player in ANY circumstance would of been left in the game after that action.

MIke Mallory 5 years, 10 months ago

north carolina central, that away to make a statement coach , i bet if it were mu or texas or oklahoma he would be sitting down. Any program where the fans have to sign a waiver to sit behind the bench that says they are aware of all the profanities is a joke. coach martin loves this program until he can find another better job to go to.

Confrontation 5 years, 10 months ago

With Clemental as the team leader and Martin as the coach, no wonder this team is a mess!

calvin 5 years, 10 months ago

Wow, suspend him from a game they should easily win by at least 20 points. What a joke by scary Frank.

Raider 5 years, 10 months ago

It's the next game on the schedule. Sheesh people! What would you do? Let him play 2-3 more games then suspend him? What good does delaying the punishment do? Martin did the right thing.

BorderRat 5 years, 10 months ago

If you read the rules it states he "must serve a suspension for the next contest." The next contest is the next contest, not the coach's choice.

Bill Griffith 5 years, 10 months ago

This kid had a couple of incidents at the University of Miami. A pattern has emerged and the best way to attempt a changed behavior is to not let him do what he loves-play basketball. This may not change him but letting him play would send the wrong message.

Jack Hope III 5 years, 10 months ago

Can someone explain to me why KSU is playing North Carolina Central in the middle of conference play? I know KU occassionally plays some big-time team in the middle of the conference schedule, and I think they once had to reschedule a non-conference game against a small time school because of hurricane or something. Is that what happened with KSU? Or is North Carolina Central a powerhouse in the ACC or Big East that I'm not familiar with?

beawolf 5 years, 10 months ago

NCC is 2-22 against very weak opponents. Martin could sit the entire 1st 5 and still win by 20.

jaywalker 5 years, 10 months ago

Suspending him for tonight was the right and only course of action. If they were playing Texas tonight he'd be out. And dollars to doughnuts the league office allowed Martin to announce it was a self-imposed suspension, looks good for the league and K-State. I'm not criticizing that in any way, mind you, it's the class way to do it and defuse the situation.

Paul Geisler 5 years, 10 months ago

sandrat - The negotiations that go into creating an NCAA basketball schedule can occur years before the games actually show up on the schedule. And because of reciprocating agreements in which one team travels to the other team's campus and then a year or two later that team has to travel to the other team's campus there can be some odd match-ups in the rotation. I don't know for certain if that is the case here but I suspect that is how a team like NC Central wound up on K-State's schedule in the middle of conference play.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 10 months ago

Even if he is a punk, ArumerZwarteHoop, it has nothing to do with where he came from. I've known several folks from Puerto Rico, and none of them are punks.

Jack Hope III 5 years, 10 months ago

magnus -- thanks for the clarification

ArumerZwarteHoop -- way to be a complete racist tool

newslover 5 years, 10 months ago

Basketball is huge in Puerto Rico. Their national team even defeated the U.S. olympic team a couple of years ago. And there are several Puerto Rican players in the NBA. Soccer is not a big sport there. Also, one person does not represent a whole group of people. Puerto Ricans, by the way, are American citizens. So, stop posting inaccurate and inflammatory stuff, ArumerZwarteHoop

MIke Mallory 5 years, 10 months ago

arumerzwartehoop, you are exactly correct, he is a punk, pullem is a gang punk, and KSU is and always will be ku's BITCH!!!!!!!!

Julie Craig 5 years, 10 months ago

I thought you KU fans said K-State is classless. You just proved that the shoe is on the other foot.