All communities in the state are set to share an estimated $70 million in federal funds for highway and related projects from the Federal Economic Recovery Act passed by Congress and now awaiting a signature from President Obama.
The Kansas Department of Transportation will be making the decisions about which projects get financed, and is asking communities to make suggestions. Projects will be judged on several factors, including safety, economic development and roadway condition.
Federal stimulus funds will pay for 100 percent of all qualifying project expenses, including land acquisition, engineering design, inspection and construction.
With all that in mind, which one of these transportation projects would you recommended to KDOT as Lawrence’s top priority for receiving federal stimulus funds?
(Ready for bids within 30 days)
1. Intersection improvements at North Second and Locust streets in North Lawrence? ($4 million)
(Ready for bids within 90 days)
2. Widen Sixth Street, from Hy-Vee to Folks Road, to add a center turn lane? ($750,000)
3. Widen intersection of Ninth Street and Avalon Road, to add a center turn lane? ($500,000)
4. Add a left-turn lane on 25th Street at Iowa Street? ($500,000)
(Ready for bids within 180 days)
5. Rebuild Kasold Drive, from Clinton Parkway to 31st Street? ($6.6 million)
6. Rebuild and widen Wakarusa Drive, from Bob Billings Parkway to 18th Street? ($3 million)
7. Rebuild Kasold Drive, from Harvard Road to Bob Billings Parkway? ($3.9 million)
8. Rebuild and widen 19th Street, from Iowa Street to Naismith Drive, to include a center lane, bike lanes and sidewalks? ($3.124 million)
9. Install “intelligent transportation systems” along major arterials — Sixth Street, Iowa Street and others — along with establishing a traffic center to accommodate required equipment? ($3 million)
10. Restore brick road surface brick involving Eighth, Ninth and Ohio streets? ($500,000)
11. Add a center turn lane along Iowa Street, from Ninth Street to 15th Street/Bob Billings Parkway? ($3 million)
(Ready for bids within one year)
12. Extend 31st Street, from Haskell Avenue to O’Connell Road? ($7.2 million)
13. Improve intersections and add medians along Iowa Street at Ninth Street, Harvard Road, 15th Street/Bob Billings Parkway, and 23rd Street/Clinton Parkway? ($6 million)
14. Make safety improvements at intersection of Kansas Highway 10 and Franklin Road? ($4.5 million)
15. Replace 23rd Street bridge over the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad tracks near Haskell Avenue? ($8 million)