Archive for Sunday, February 15, 2009

SUV hits tree, power line; driver goes to hospital

Initial responders reported that the driver of a gray Jeep Grand Cherokee suffered severe but non-life-threatening injuries.

February 15, 2009, 1:26 a.m. Updated February 15, 2009, 5:27 a.m.

A Lawrence man was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital early Sunday morning after his car hit a tree near Sixth and Wisconsin streets.

Antonio Salas-Chavira, 30, was treated for injuries and released Sunday morning, hospital officials said. He was the sole occupant of the vehicle.

Emergency crews responded to the single-vehicle accident at 12:50 a.m. Sunday. Salas-Chavira's Jeep Grand Cherokee hit a tree and a power pole on Sixth Street, causing major front-end damage to the vehicle.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl said witnesses saw the vehicle traveling westbound on Sixth Street when it began drifting into the eastbound lane. The driver over-corrected the steering wheel, which sent it into the tree and power pole on the north side of Sixth Street.

"He is very lucky," she said.

Hadl said police are investigating if alcohol contributed to the accident.

Westar Energy reported no power outages from the damaged power pole.

Comments

cfdxprt 5 years, 10 months ago

My wife and I went down to one of the hookah bars as our V-day thing. It amazed me how wasted people were on Mass - I don't end up there near bar close normally. The way home was treacherous. I won't end up doing that any time soon. Low skill, young drivers and alcohol don't mix - not that anyone does.

We saw this wreck before we turned on our street, didn't go down to rubberneck...

Hate to sound like Hawk, complaining about Lawrence left and right, but this town could solve its budget problem in a week with a few checkpoints. The responsible people might be a little safer too.

Enough of me complaining, I hope everyone involved ends up being alright. Maybe with a lesson learned.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 10 months ago

I bet that hurt. Wonder how the tree is doing?

rightthinkertwo 5 years, 10 months ago

Yelp you have to control those suv's,sometimes they have a mind of their own.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 10 months ago

liberty: yeah, SUV hits tree, power line; driver goes to hospital

kinda looks like the d----d evil SUV did it on its own! they're out to kill us all!

so you know he's a student, or just guessing? I could just as appropriately wonder about his immigration status since there seems to be an overrepresentation of drunk drivers among illegal aliens.

hey, wonder if he got a subprime mortgage he couldn't afford, too.

poor tree.

I am glad he's all right. the officer is right, he's pretty lucky in this accident. the second one in just a couple days, car hits power pole, driver okay.

sizzleplate 5 years, 10 months ago

Actually, there are checkpoints in this city, but the sheriffs department handles them. Trust me, I went through one a few months back. Luckily, I had only had a few and was upfront with the officer. He told me to go straight home and that I was, "lucky to be getting away with one tonight". Needless to say, I was scared sh*tless

labmonkey 5 years, 10 months ago

The article said the driver was a 30 year old...so why all the complaining about young drivers? Should we wait until we are 40 to receive a driver's license now?

I think Skynet caused it. That terminatrix chick from T3 must have touched it.

Fatty_McButterpants 5 years, 10 months ago

Wow, way to see everyone jump on the bandwagon for blaming the students and/or drunk driving. It couldn't possibly have occurred because the man was tired and started to doze off...

As for those that are preaching about how terrifying the city of Lawrence has become, it's a LARGE city! Bad things happen. It's not the Lawrence of the 1950's, so quit whining about it and accept that sometimes crime doesn't just happen in the inner cities.

mom_of_three 5 years, 10 months ago

We went through a checkpoint about a year ago, on a Sunday night, on Kasold. We saw some people walking the line, and it was 9 pm on a Sunday night.

lucky7brand 5 years, 10 months ago

mr. chimp...."oops….anyone sure if it was arranged?" it are you sure your not a chimp? better check the mirror. are you for real? Yeah i bet the guy said on sunday morning i'm going to drive down 6th streeet and slam my Suv into a pole and a tree. I feel like i need to feel some extreme pain and destroy my vehicle.

sizzleplate..... it's people like you that the cops just let get away with drunk driving and say oh just go straight home. Oh i told the officer the truth i'm drunk and won't pass the breath test. Policeofficer: Oh since you've been so honest you just drive yourself home and be careful not to kill someone on the way. Such a nice police officer. maybe if you would have gone to jail you would really know the meaning of "scared shless. You might have st on your self just enough to never drink and drive again. which my guess is that incident did not scare you enough to never drive drunk again.

Newell_Post 5 years, 10 months ago

What? No Life Flight helicopter ride? Seems like they fire up the chopper for a nosebleed these days.

Marcy McGuffie 5 years, 10 months ago

“Students are back.” Is the new KU demographic 30 year old hispanic males?

For the record, when the article was originally posted, it did not have his age or name. The article was updated later in the morning.

gphawk89 5 years, 10 months ago

"He is very lucky."

Huh?? If he was very lucky, he would have made it to his destination without hitting a tree and power pole. I'd say he's one of the UNluckiest folks to be driving in Lawrence last night.

flyin_squirrel 5 years, 10 months ago

Larrynative, you are correct. The same night of that accident, I saw at least two officers doing a bar check for minors at the bar I was at (2 out of the 14 on patrol that night). Our police force has become so focused on MIP's that at the end of the night they watch everyone leave the bars and drive home drunk. Tell me how downtown can have no open parking spaces and packed bars at night, yet at 2:30 am all those cars are gone? And I guarantee there are not that many designated drivers in the bars.

Corliss has made it known that he doesn't like the bars in town, and focuses on MIP's. Drunk drivers should be a major priority, but unfortunately will not until some innocent driver get killed by a drunk driver.

fascinating_person 5 years, 10 months ago

lol @ gphawk89

It's kind of like when people say "God was watching over that person who accidentily drove their car off of a bridge and only broke every bone in their body.. instead of dying!"

I don't think that's a comforting thought in any reality: either God loves you and just really sucks at trying to be all powerful and prevent things like that, or dang, God just really hates you and wants you to break every bone in your body! Sometimes accidents are just accidents and their results are just physics, yaknowwhatimsayin'?