Archive for Saturday, February 14, 2009

Faith Forum: What is your favorite Scripture about love?

February 14, 2009

Bible teaches generous lessons about love

The Rev. Tom Brady, senior pastor, First United Methodist Church, 946 Vt. and 867 Highway 40:

I have two favorites. The first is I John 4:7-21. “Let us love one another, because love is from God ... for God is love. Those who love God must love their brothers and sisters also.” There is much more in these verses, and I encourage you to read the whole fourth chapter. It simply states where love comes from (God) and how we are called to share God’s love with others. We are to love as God loves, without limits or conditions.

My other favorite is I Corinthians 13. “Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.” Again, please read the whole chapter.

I like this passage because it emphasizes the action that is required in love. Love is a verb. Love is as love does. We often speak about love as a feeling, and we use the word “love” to express our feelings to others — but love is best expressed when we put our love into action.

We are to show our love to others through patience, kindness, honesty, generosity and service. The old saying “actions speak louder than words” is definitely true when it comes to love.

— Send e-mail to Tom Brady at tom@fumclawrence.org.

Love more about actions than words

The Rev. Rob Martin, pastor, Lawrence Vineyard Church:

Most would agree that love goes beyond the physical. When we think of great examples of love, we think of someone giving their time, giving gifts, performing services, expressing affection or proclaiming devotion.

My favorite Scripture about love is from Isaiah, chapter 43. Isaiah was a prophet sent by God to tell his followers, among many things, that he loves them.

The Message translation reads:

“Don't be afraid, I've redeemed you. I've called your name. You’re mine. When you’re in over your head, I’ll be there with you. When you’re in rough waters, you will not go down. When you're between a rock and a hard place, it won't be a dead end — Because I am God, your personal God, the Holy of Israel, your Savior. I paid a huge price for you: all of Egypt, with rich Cush and Seba thrown in! That's how much you mean to me! That's how much I love you! I’d sell off the whole world to get you back, trade the creation just for you.”

He would trade in all of creation just for you. That is crazy love. But it doesn’t end there. Isaiah continues to tell about God’s love through His promise of the coming one that would redeem us. In chapter Isaiah 61, he tells us this coming Messiah would heal broken hearts, set captives free, release prisoners from darkness and proclaim favor to us.

We hear how Jesus died for our mistakes; the pain we have caused others and God. But it is more than that — he came to heal our pain, set us free from our past, release us from the things that keep us down and to tell us that he favors us. God will trade all of creation to be in relationship with us. That is is the ultimate example of passionate love and true devotion.

— Send e-mail to Rob Martin at robmartin@lawrencevineyard.org.

Comments

i_tching 5 years, 2 months ago

If love comes from god, then you should be able to get condoms at church.

bndairdundat 5 years, 2 months ago

And God said to them,"Be fruitful and multiply

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 2 months ago

"Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart and the senses."

-- Lao Tzu

... it etches the nervous system... sears the soul.

Newell_Post 5 years, 2 months ago

... of course Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines. If he romanced all of them like that, he must have been one exhausted dude!

Newell_Post 5 years, 2 months ago

You want a scripture about love?..... From the Song of Solomon...

You have ravished my heart, my sister, my bride, you have ravished my heart with a glance of your eyes, with one jewel of your necklace. 10How sweet is your love, my sister, my bride! how much better is your love than wine, and the fragrance of your oils than any spice! 11Your lips distil nectar, my bride; honey and milk are under your tongue; the scent of your garments is like the scent of Lebanon. 12A garden locked is my sister, my bride, a garden locked, a fountain sealed. 13Your channel is an orchard of pomegranates with all choicest fruits, henna with nard, 14nard and saffron, calamus and cinnamon, with all trees of frankincense, myrrh and aloes, with all chief spices— 15a garden fountain, a well of living water, and flowing streams from Lebanon.

notnowdear 5 years, 2 months ago

I am sure it is in the Gospel of Mary somewhere. Or the Gospel of Phillip.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 2 months ago

jonas, I always thought the answer was: five pounds of flax.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

Tzu-chang asked Confucius, What is love? "Love," said Confucius, "is to mete out five things to all below heaven." "May I ask what they are?" "Modesty and bounty," said Confucius, "truth, earnestness, and kindness. Modesty escapes insult; bounty wins the many; truth gains men's trust; earnestness brings success, kindness is the key to man's work." (Analects 17.6)

jayhawkjg 5 years, 2 months ago

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten son that we might have everlasting life.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 2 months ago

Proverbs 5: 18-19 Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth. Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.

POTATOCHImPs 5 years, 2 months ago

A song of songs where he talks about the "rythmns of his wife" and the "perfume on her verdant breast". How drole you ask such.

I was raised a Christian in your town but you abandoned me to eat garbage and mocked my mom at her own funeral after twenty years service in the public schools as a teacher.

Even before she died you rejected to help me in nearly half of the churches in town the worst of which was the Community Church downtown by the post office.