Kansas Legislature approves deficit reduction legislation

February 12, 2009, 12:12 p.m. Updated February 12, 2009, 9:21 p.m.

— A $326 million budget-balancing plan won final legislative approval Thursday, bringing Kansas closer to joining other states in trimming education funding to deal with recession-related financial problems.

The House passed the bill Thursday morning on a 70-51 vote. The Senate approved it seven hours later, 27-11, sending the measure to Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, a Democrat who has tried to avoid cutting aid to public schools.

The bill eliminates a projected $199 million deficit for the fiscal year that ends June 30. Slightly less than half the adjustments consist of cuts in spending, with accounting changes and refinancing of state bonds making up the rest.

Public schools would lose almost $28 million in base state aid plus more than $4 million in funds for special education programs. Those reductions were endorsed by the House, but senators wanted to reduce base aid by less than $7 million and leave the special education funds unchanged.

Republicans hold majorities in both chambers, and their leaders said the cuts in school aid were necessary to avoid deeper cuts elsewhere, including public safety and social services. House Appropriations Committee Chairman Kevin Yoder said the plan that emerged from talks between the two chambers contained “a proper mix of cuts.”

Follow LJWorld on Twitter

Comments

madmike 5 years, 2 months ago

Log must be off his anti-depressants again!

Clint Gentry 5 years, 2 months ago

"Logarithmic", I carry more than 3 ounces of fluid with me wherever I go, if you catch my drift...

No, but really, I'm addicted to cough syrup...

logrithmic 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm came to office on the "cop under every bed" platform.

Yes folks, I'm a reichwinger. I believe in law and order. That's why I'm violating the Constitution. It's illegal because it doesn't protect you from yourself.

Tonight I'm authorizing the NSA to train its listening devices on you, the taxpayer. I want our trained analysts to hear every word you're saying across the dinner table so we can all have a good laugh when you tell each other how you've lost your job, your homes, your retirement funds.

Yessirree.

And I'm tonight I'm authorizing the use of metal detectors at every door in America. That's right, you will have to pass through a metal detector to leave your house or to get up and go to the next room.

And you can not bring any liquid more than 3 ounces into your own home.

If you get out of line, we've got a Navy brig in South Carolina set up for you.

We expect that we will put hundreds and thousands of people to work in our new surveillance state.

You'll be so protected, you'll feel you've gone to heaven.

After all, the Constitution is just a golldurn piece of paper.

Now I've got to go on vacation. Got some brush to move down in Texa$$.

Ya'all say hello to KS for me.

And may god bless!

Budgets_Smudgets 5 years, 2 months ago

There are so many beyond ignorant statements made on these boards. I hate to even weigh in, but I will try:

deskboy04 - the majority of school district administrators do not make more than the Governor. logrithmic - the NBAF plant is not a bio-weapons plant by any stretch of imagination, unless you are on drugs. Are you that idiotic? hawkperched - what are you even talking about?
barrypenders - what? *XD40 - school consolidation? what is that about? Have you ever looked at collective school budgets? I doubt it.

If a few of you would consider making more cogent arguments which are on point, perhaps more people would pay attention to your opinions.

I fear I have discovered a forum where ignorance and flames are the norm.

Please prove me wrong.

Thinking_Out_Loud 5 years, 2 months ago

Nonsense, hawkperchedatriverfront. Tomorrow they start focusing on the fiscal year 2010 budget. I have a healthy skepticism (less than they have earned, admittedly) of the ability of our legislature to do the right thing. But I am pretty certain they aren't spending the Federal stimulus moneys until those moneys are signed by the President.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 2 months ago

And tomorrow, after a nights sleep and a power breakfast they will resume and discuss the Obama stimulus money and how they can squander it.

Oh, they are sooooooooo busy in Topeka. Juggling and juggling just like a bunch of circus clowns.

logrithmic 5 years, 2 months ago

Another $250 million for another bioweapons plant (whoops, I meant NBAF facility) in Manhattan.

How bout another $250 million to widen another road for "safety purposes" like the six-laning of 59 Highway?

Perhaps $250 million to build the SLT part II?

Eight lane K10 too! Another $1 million.

Don't forget cops under every bed - just to protect you from yourself.

May God bless!

farva 5 years, 2 months ago

One percent is not much. For the amount of state, local, and federal money K-12 schools receive, 1% reduction is reasonable.

solsken66 5 years, 2 months ago

Consolidation of school districts is something that should be considered. There are some counties that have small populations, but still have two or more school districts which means a superintendent for each school district.

barrypenders 5 years, 2 months ago

But I thought Obama was giving Kansas a billion dollars.

deskboy04 5 years, 2 months ago

There are hundreds of school districts in Kansas. Most all of them have CEO's that make more than the governor.

Budgets_Smudgets 5 years, 2 months ago

XD40, of course you mean that Lawrence district should consolidate with Perry, Baldwin, Eudora, and De Soto, and thus be responsible for building the new schools to take care of growth in these districts.

XD40 5 years, 2 months ago

The education funding cuts could/should force the school district consolidation the state's needed for years.

bobberboy 5 years, 2 months ago

Cut back funding to KDOT. We have some of the best highways in the nation. And you'd be hard pressed to find any other division that can manage to spend, spend, spend ! Construction workers are way over priced.