Archive for Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Self: Marcus deserved technical, not benching

Kansas University coach Bill Self yells to his team during Monday’s game at Mizzou Arena. Despite the loss, Self applauded his team’s defensive effort in the first half against the Tigers.

February 11, 2009

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self says freshman forward Marcus Morris received a technical foul not for what he said, but what he did, in inadvertently bumping into referee Scott Thornley early in the second half of Monday’s game against Missouri at Mizzou Arena.

Self explained the situation in detail in response to a fan’s question on Tuesday’s weekly Hawk Talk radio show.

“He (Thornley) told me that Marcus bumped him as he was running by him (after being whistled for a foul). My reply to him was, ‘Did he (Morris) do it on purpose?’ He said yes he did,” Self said.

“I said he should have thrown him out, then. In my opinion, there should be no hesitation, if he did it on purpose, do it (eject the player).”

Morris was not ejected, but Self elected to bench him the final 19 minutes as a penalty for the ‘T.’ After watching tape of the incident several times Tuesday, Self wishes he would have let Morris back in the game.

KU’s coach is convinced the bump was unintentional.

“Knowing what I know now, I would have played him after that. I didn’t play him because I was told he did it intentionally,” Self said.

“Going back and forth and seeing it, I think the official made the right call. I do not think it was worthy of sitting him the rest of the game because there was no malicious intent. I don’t think it was the intent at all.”

Self said Morris made a mistake in not apologizing to Thornley after bumping the ref.

“If after there was contact there was any remorse by Marcus ... I think Marcus could have turned around and said, ‘My bad,’’’ Self said.

“I don’t think there was intent. The fact Marcus kept walking gave the impression there was intent. If there is incidental contact, you (as player) need to make sure to say, ‘Hey, good gosh, I didn’t mean that.’ There wasn’t much (contact) at all, but enough to know there was contact.

“I’m not disputing the call. I do not disagree with the official. I do not agree, either. I think the entire incident could have been avoided.”

Self stressed, “officials had nothing to do with us losing the game. They didn’t turn it over 27 times.”

KU suffered 27 turnovers to MU’s 13.

Lead not big enough: KU led by 14 points at halftime Monday. The margin actually could have been greater.

“When a team shoots as poorly as they did (36.4 percent, 2-of-12 from three) and we dominated the glass like we did (30-15), you’ve got to be up more than 14. It should have been an 18-, 20-point game based on how the two teams played,” Self said.

“The second half, they definitely were a better team than us. Still we had a seven-point lead with 3:49 left. We didn’t get stops. We had about four defensive breakdowns on four consecutive possessions. Offensively, we were really stale. We missed free throws. We didn’t attack their 2-1-2 halfcourt zone. It was frustrating to leave there, not discouraging, but frustrating. It was there for us to take.”

Self applauded his team’s effort.

“It’s probably the best defense we’ve played all year we played the first half. We rebounded. But there’s one other element. You have to take care of the ball and make sure you get shot attempts. We didn’t do that,” Self said.

ADs talk: Some media members noticed KU athletic director Lew Perkins and Missouri’s Mike Alden having a discussion after 1,000 or so MU fans stormed the court. It was tough for other media members to witness the rush of students onto the court from their perches in one corner of the stands.

“I know that Lew talked to Mike about some security concerns. It is over, done, a dead issue,” KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said.

40 minutes of heck: MU coach Mike Anderson’s mentor, former Arkansas coach Nolan Richardson, attended Monday’s Border War contest.

“It was at least 20 minutes of hell,” Richardson told the Columbia Tribune. Remember, he presided over UA’s famed “40 Minutes of Hell” attack.

Comments

rabbit 6 years, 6 months ago

Marcus and Markieff need to wake up! I don't see what they are doing for the team. Maybe Self needs to let them watch Brandon Rush in action.

beawolf 6 years, 6 months ago

Actually Rush had a very lazy style in his Freshman year. He was more athletic, but it took him a full year to play disciplined. The twins have potential, let's see how they develop.

cojayhwk 6 years, 6 months ago

The Morris twins are worthless. They do nothing for us but play dirty, talk trash, complain, and blame everyone but themselves for their lack of talent and effort. I watched the play several times and he meant to bump the ref. They should transfer to Villanova and open up two new scholarships. Maybe they will figure it out and get their heads straight but I am not holding my breath.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 6 months ago

Anyone who suggests that the Morrises "aren't very good" probably aren't very good at watching basketball. And look, if more than 90% of your basketball viewing consists of KU games, it's unsurprising that you don't have the perspective to make an accurate assessment of their skill levels and/or contributions.

jaywalker 6 years, 6 months ago

Don't know what you think you saw, cheeseburger. He 'towered over Thornley'? What the hell are you talking about? The ref ran right past him and Morris never even glanced at him. I agree with logicsound, if he had simply acknowledged the incidental contact, held a hand out, turned back to Thornley with the simplest of gestures, that T isn't called. And if it truly was purposeful Morris gets tossed. It was not. Self watched it live and on tape. I'm gonna go with his assessment. This doesn't even take into account that the initial offensive foul he was called for was a bad call. He had his man on his back and was maintaining position. My guess is that Marcus was frustrated and flabbergasted at the call and was walking with tunnel vision to the bench.And right! The twins stink so bad that we're 8-1 in conference and 19-5 overall with them playing significant minutes. And Bill Self, one of the best in the biz, is foolishly playing them despite their obvious lack of talent. Moronic.

WilburM 6 years, 6 months ago

jaywalker -- nice take, exactly what I saw and concluded. (of course, it's easy to agree, but it's nice to actually look at something without too many predispositions)

Armen Kurdian 6 years, 6 months ago

When you bump an official, you turn around and say, "Whoops! Sorry 'bout that." Heck, if you accidentally run into someone on the street you do the same thing. And yes, if the ref thought it was intentional, he should have been ejected. But Coach is also right, the refs didn't lose the game for us, we did.

Confrontation 6 years, 6 months ago

I bet the Morris twins can play a heck of a lot better than any of you losers commenting on here. They're freshmen, and they have some things to learn.

volunteer 6 years, 6 months ago

I agree with Coach Self:"The fact Marcus kept walking gave the impression there was intent."

rightthinkertwo 6 years, 6 months ago

I don't see those twins staying around here to long,they seem to know it all.

John Hamm 6 years, 6 months ago

"in inadvertently bumping into referee"Methinks Bill needs to go back and review the game film. I don't see how he could claim in any way it was "inadvertent(ly)."

1029 6 years, 6 months ago

I think the issue that people should be upset about is the foul called on Aldrich for pulling down a defensive rebound. That foul would have never been called two or three weeks ago. You get a few "problems" with elbows being thrown in games and all of a sudden refs are all-too-ready to blow a whistle anytime a player's elbow touches another player. You watch, there's going to be a lot more defensive players trying to get their faces up close to a ball handler's body in hopes of catching an elbow because they know that refs will call a foul because of this supposed epidemic of elbows being thrown. Also, if they haven't done so already, I wish the league would acknowledge that it made a mistake on the 3 1/2 second "5 second" call. I know it wasn't a game-changing play in the last seconds, but it would show a little class if the ref apologized and admitted he wasn't paying attention to the play.

BorderRat 6 years, 6 months ago

This call didn't cost KU the game. KU cost KU the game. Heck, if missouri had shot better from the foul line, the game wouldn't have been as close as it was. Put it behind em, get ready for KSU, and kick missouri's sorry butts when they come here to play.

jaywalker 6 years, 6 months ago

Again I agree with logicsound. If you actually watched the ref after the contact you saw him turn and look at Morris, take a second, then call the T. It was Thornley's emotion that got the best of him on that call, pure and simple. You could just sense him weighing what to do next, and when there was no act of contrition from Morris he T'd him up. Any intentional contact with a ref is an automatic toss and Thornley certainly knows this. The fact he would retort to Self that it was intentional goes further to prove that he allowed his emotion to get away from him. He tried to justify the T but he knew he couldn't say "He never said he was sorry", so saying it was intentional was his only refuge.

rgh 6 years, 6 months ago

When I saw the replay immediately after the incident, you could clearly tell it was NOT intentional and the ref was just as much to blame as he was NOT looking at Morris either. They inadvertently bumped into each other and it took several seconds for the ref to convince himself he had been intentionally bumped!!Watch it and get over it. The kids are growing and maturing just like Darrell, Darnell, Brandon, Russell, etc. did over the past two to three years.

Jo_Jo 6 years, 6 months ago

The Morris twins are talented, yes. They are also punks. There is a pattern of suspect behavior here...shooting a woman with a bb gun, throwing elbows when clearing rebounds, and running in to officials. Nice.

rabbit 6 years, 6 months ago

My twelve year old son plays better than the Morris twins and scores more points in his Jr league. The Morris twins have no talent and the sooner we accept this the better off the Jayhawk camp will be.

Jo_Jo 6 years, 6 months ago

I would say scoring more points in a 12 yr old Jr. league is a bad comparison to the Big 12, rabbit.

jonas_opines 6 years, 6 months ago

"The Morris twins are talented, yes. They are also punks."Teenage kids are punks. That's why they're alright as long as stay off of my lawn.

Jo_Jo 6 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for the blast, Ed. I would venture to say that based off of my two comments above that you have no basis to say whether or not I know anything about Kansas basketball. Additionally I don't care whether you played in college or coached at any level - that certainly doesn't mean that you were taleneted enough or qualified to be either - especially coaching. When you say "former coach" - what happened, couldn't win enough games? Or did your child move on from Biddy Basketball to Junior High Basketball, thus putting you out of a job? I'm guessing you are wasting your time here because you have nothing better to do, since, as you noted above, you are currently out of a job (or am I just making an assumption similar to your comment above?). Good luck finding new employment - I read another article that said the new Wal-Mart is hiring, it may not be in coaching, but at least they have a sporting good department and you may be able to make a few extra sales telling tales of your past glories riding the pine at some low level juco, or when you coached your child's YMCA team.