Archive for Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Suspect in animal cruelty case released from jail on bond

The suspect in a recent animal cruelty case is out of jail on bond.

February 10, 2009

A Kansas University international student charged with felony animal cruelty was released from jail on $12,000 bond, jail records indicate.

Cem Basoflas, 20, of Istanbul, Turkey, is accused by prosecutors of “extreme violence on at least two animals.”

The KU sophomore physics major was arrested Feb. 4 at his apartment in the 2100 block of Heatherwood Drive, where police said a large amount of blood was found.

Douglas County District Judge Pro Tem Jim George ordered Basoflas to surrender his passport and to have no contact with any animals when released from jail.

The suspect has another pending case of felony animal cruelty, stemming from an alleged incident Aug. 16. In both cases, he’s charged with one count of intentionally and maliciously killing, injuring, maiming, torturing, burning or mutilating any animal.

Basoflas pleaded not guilty in both cases and is scheduled for a Feb. 24 court appearance in front of District Judge Robert Fairchild.

Prosecutors said more charges could be filed in the most recent case.

Comments

julz 5 years, 2 months ago

Could this case be related to the mutilated cats? I haven't seen any recent stories on that topic.

AjiDeGallina 5 years, 2 months ago

zettapixel (Anonymous) says…What if he practices Santeria or some other esoteric religion where animal sacrifice is allowed? Or what about those kids that killed squirrels the other day? What distinguishes animal cruelty from “good, clean hunting?”******Uhmm, did I miss something, were the kids shooting the squirrels also raping them then beating them to death, or did they just shoot them?

b_asinbeer 5 years, 2 months ago

bad_dog...you make valid points. I'm still sticking to my original post though...what if the dog was killed in the act of self-defense and he was afraid to report to LE thinking they may prosecute him? I'm not defending him. However, these types of scenarios ARE possible. I doubt that my scenario is valid, but strangers things have happened in this day and age. Until we know more information, I still think the best rationale is to wait and see how the trial plays out.

rbrbm 5 years, 2 months ago

If you are concerned about this case please consider sending an email to District Attorney Charles Branson at cbranson@douglas-county.com and Assistant District Attorney Michael Allen at mallen@douglas-county.com. Mr. Allen has been handling the case from August involving the cat who made it out alive. I hope you will all contact the presiding judge, District Judge Robert Fairchild, at division1@douglas-county.com to express your concern. Despite the best efforts of a very dedicated group of individuals, the felony animal cruelty law that was finally passed in Kansas only allows for a maximum one year sentence. Also, if I understand correctly, a psych evaluation can only be ordered if he is convicted. I am connected to the charges stemming from the August case through my place of employment. I also know someone who works at the apartment complex. I can assure you that many, many details of this whole situation have not been released. It is just so disturbing. This guy is going to hurt someone. Please be the voice for these defenseless victims.

bad_dog 5 years, 2 months ago

"He should be locked up in an insane asylum where he can be constantly monitored, counseled, and get the medications he obviously must need."-none2In a TURKISH asylum at THEIR expense.b_asinbeer-love the username BTW. While he is entitled to the presumption of innocence, I believe earlier accounts indicated Basoflas led LE officers to the remains of other animals he killed. If true, that is more than a mere "assumption" and will likely lead to a guilty plea or conviction. Also, given the fact he was ordered to surrender his passport indicates to me the Courts' concern over the likelyhood of flight by a defendant in anticipation of a conviction/incarceration.

Macoupin1953 5 years, 2 months ago

A little off topic - - whatever happened to Matthew Jaeger, who was supposed to start trial for criminal assault on Monday, 2/9/09?

b_asinbeer 5 years, 2 months ago

Before you write the letter, you may want to reconsider some things when you assume that "he's already a repeat offender". He has not been found guilty...yet.He is, according to many modern nations, innocent until he can be proven guilty. There are so many things we don't know or are assuming from just a few articles. I'm not saying he's not guilty, it looks like that he is, but without seeing all of the evidence, I wouldn't immediately ask for a public lynching.If it turns out he did what he was charged with at the end of the trial, I hope he gets the maximum possible sentence. Until then, I'll refrain from ignorant comments like those made by many on these boards.

none2 5 years, 2 months ago

kittycatty26 (Anonymous) says…Eye for an eye. I hope someone kills the bastard while he is roaming free. He should not be allowed to abuse other animals. Go back to Turkey, you sick freak. Stay the hell out of OUR country.=========================I wouldn't wish this on any cat or dog whether they live around here or roam the streets somewhere in Turkey. The guy shouldn't "go back" anywhere. He should be locked up in an insane asylum where he can be constantly monitored, counseled, and get the medications he obviously must need.

kmat 5 years, 2 months ago

geniusmannumber1 (Anonymous) says… I think people fundamentally misunderstand the concept of bail. Bail isn't for “protecting the public.” It's to keep someone from fleeing the jurisdiction before trial. What justification is there for “monitoring” him? What evidence do you have that this guy is guilty of anything?Oh, right. You read the paper online.guess what genious? Some of us know people involved in the cases and know that this is real. The b*stard led the police to the bodies of the animals he had recently killed. He took the cat he abused severely to a vet. His apartment had large qtys of animal blood, along with other dead, small animals.Nice way to stick up for a psychopath.I was thinking of contacting INS, the State Dept and Homeland Security. Why should someone here on a visa be allowed to stay if they are being repeatedly arrested? Who knows if they can deport him, but it's worth a try.

kittycatty26 5 years, 2 months ago

julz 5 years, 2 months ago

Thank you MartinaH for the suggestion to write to the DA.I have done so and encourage the rest of you to as well!

lawdog 5 years, 2 months ago

I see he had a myspace page in 2007.http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=139104584 HIs profile said he was in Hays, KS at that time. Hmmm, you know his cruelty towards animals did not just begin while in Lawrence. I'm sure he was committing the same type of behavior while a student in Hays, KS. I am absolutely outraged and angry!

Pilgrim2 5 years, 2 months ago

The piece of human debris is just lucky the cops got to him first. If he's smart, he'll forfeit the bond and get the hell out of here. He's a marked man.

MartinaH 5 years, 2 months ago

Sodomizing and torturing animals is a serious crime which is committed for the perverted pleasure of the criminal sociopath. They abuse animals because the animals are easy to obtain and are not as strong as the criminal. Once the criminal gets bored with animals, the next easily obtained targets are children. Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, and David Berkowitz all delighted in torturing animals before moving on to human prey.Please write to the prosecutor and politely ask him to prosecute this case to the FULL extent of the law. A factual letter does a lot to help a case, while a threatening or accusatory letter helps the criminal. Animal Cruelty is a heinous crime which should be taken very seriously. There are studies which show that many serial killers (and this man is already a repeat offender) start off with animals and go on to murder children and adults:Here is an example of what to write:districtattorney@douglas-county.comDear Mr. Branson:I am writing to you regarding the Animal Cruelty charges against Cem Basoflas. I ask that you prosecute the Animal Cruelty charges to the full extent of the law. Since Basoflas is already a repeat offender, I would like to point out to you that this type of abuse can, and very often does, pathologically continue. Statistically, people who abuse, torture, sodomize and kill animals go on to abuse, torture, sodomize and kill children. Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, and David Berkowitz all delighted in torturing animals before moving on to human prey.Please stop this man from harming another creature. Please prosecute this case fully and aggressively for the sake of the innocent victims and for the safety of all of Cem Basoflas' future innocent victims.Sincerely,

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

py:yes, graduate or progress. and he certainly has the capacity. he does pose a danger to our community. personally I wish they'd ordered GPS monitoring myself. ***good job Cheesehead!

none2 5 years, 2 months ago

mominlawrence (Anonymous) says…why are we paying to jail him. The Kansan reports his passport was revoked- Why? Let him go back to Turkey!==================Maybe the turkeys don't want to be raped and slaughtered.

Pywacket 5 years, 2 months ago

Nice display of pique, zettapixel.. And not one word why you made the dimwitted comments that caused me to feel you may be a dimwit.Your vacuous pose, if that is what it was when you acted like you couldn't figure out the difference between hunting and sexual torture, apparently did not showcase your undoubtedly brilliant mind. I'm so relieved to know that it was just a pose! Thank you, thank you for setting that straight. I'll now assume that you know very well what a vast chasm lies between squirrel hunting and sodomizing a dog to death and that you'll refrain from such disingenuous speculation in the future.Don't know why people are clubbing Craigslist over this. The guy could get animals anywhere. And, as I understand it, it is only one person's conjecture that he already obtained victims this way. Do we know that for sure?This country is brimming with unwanted animals and people trying to place them. He could just as easily answer a want ad in the LJW, call a number posted on a note on a bulletin board, or even start stealing pets out of people's yards. Anyone placing an animal (whether they advertise on Craigslist, in the Trading Post or LJW, leave a note in the laundromat or grocery store, etc) should stringently screen applicants. And even so--this creep, like Ted Bundy, is probably an expert at presenting himself as charming, warm, and kind. How do you think his kind gets away with murder? Not by openly revealing his revolting nature.I think it was incredibly irresponsible to set the bond low enough for him to easily get out--especially given that this was not a first offense. People who do things like that do not simply stop. They are driven. And, as many have noted, they very often "progress" (if that is the word) to human prey. Very dangerous to let him walk free.

mominlawrence 5 years, 2 months ago

Christine Anderson 5 years, 2 months ago

ATTN: I spoke with two maintenance men from Peppertree this afternoon. I asked them if the monster would be allowed to return to his apt, since he has bonded out.The response of one of them was, "Well, it's not that easy. We're on top of it. There are processes we have to go through. He'll just go somewhere else." He also added that he personally had not "seen the guy around" yesterday or today.I don't doubt the good intentions of the workers at Peppertree. But these two workers cannot ensure the safety of the pets and people in the neighborhood. They can't keep their eyes on this monster every minute of the day.As I walked to the store today, every single person I saw I stopped and made sure they were informed that this "thing" was out of jail.So, this waste of flesh is out of jail. What do we do?Well, tomorrow morning, after the children in the neighborhood have left for school, I'm going to be standing out on the sidewalk, or walking up and down the street with a huge sign announcing he is out.I don't have a working printer. Please, someone who does, print Basoflas' photo from the LJW article, and make as many copies of it as you can. Distribute it to everyone who will look!Even though he is out of jail, and even IF he can't be immediately evicted, the residents of Peppertree, Heatherwood, and the numerous other homes in that neighborhood can use LAWFUL means to make this piece of sh*@ so uncomfortable he won't want to return or remain.It frightened me how many residents I stopped and talked with who were unaware that these horrible things had taken place in their own complex!This freak is another Dahmer in the making, people.

somebodynew 5 years, 2 months ago

rooster - the other alternative is to give the pets to a local shelter. The people who advertise on whatever site do not have the abiliity to actually check out anyone and have to go on "impressions" and lord knows a person like this can probably "snow" some good people.Give the pet to an animal shelter (and donate what money you can) and let them screen the possible adopters.And BTW Craigslist has become the new home of all scam artists -- IF you even think of buying anything from Craigslist check and doublecheck to make sure it is legit. Way too many stories of people getting ripped off through them.

adree66046 5 years, 2 months ago

while we're talking about sick freaks... wasn't jaeger's trial supposed to start yesterday? is that happening? did I miss something?

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 2 months ago

frewent, just recently a dad lined his kids up, and shot all of their pets in front of them.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 5 years, 2 months ago

KMat, I was heartened by your post about the abused kitty. I have three of my own and cannot fanthom how anyone can be this twisted and brutal. But the prisons are full of those who have done these things to humans. There was a story a while back on CBS news about a former baseball player who had beaten his girlfriend's cat to death because she was giving the cat attention instead of him. Another item about a father who had stabbed and strangled a family cat in front of his childern. The world is full of unspeakable vicious idiots and all we can do is be vigilant .I am glad the cat is safe and happy now.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 2 months ago

Hmm. What does a person like that think about when facing possible incarceration.I wonder.1) I might get away with this.2) I've been thinking of someday doing a lot of things, and if I'm locked up, I won't be able to. 3) I'm going to need some good memories to get me through this.4) Maybe I should go out and do those things before this goes to trial, teach these $%^&s that they didn't stop me. Only this time, it's not just going to be animals.Revenge is sweet.

rooster 5 years, 2 months ago

So you flaggers will prevent animals from leaving a situation where they can't stay and going to a potentially good situation just because of this guy? So not only is this guy going to kill animals but then prevent other animals from finding a good home?????I would think this situation would cause people to investigate who their animals are going to in greater detail.But at the end of the day with the economy in the tank some people cant afford to feed their animals and you Flaggers will potentially prevent an animal from finding a good home. Don't let this bad seed ruin it for all the other animals.

Kynsicat 5 years, 2 months ago

Excellent suggestion (flagging Craig's List posts), Frownie! I can't believe this dirtbag was let out. Um, yeah, he's gonna go hurt more innocent animals (or worse, a child!) while he's free! Does anyone know what kind of "supervision" he has while awaiting sentencing/trial?? How long until he is sentenced?

frowniebrown 5 years, 2 months ago

I am so interested to know if Peppertree Apartments ended his lease after he was arrested on the 4th. In my opinion, he was safer in jail. I will continue to flag posts on craiglist that sell or give away any pet, and I hope you all do the same if you have a minute to. Out of politeness or to prevent uncessary frustration, it might be nice to email the poster before flagging their post, but in the end we just need to get those off there. That is not what craiglist is intended for.

igby 5 years, 2 months ago

Don't national students have two passports?One for their suitcase and one to carry with them?

Danimal 5 years, 2 months ago

So wait, a guy who is already awaiting prosecution on other animal cruelty charges is released once again?

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 2 months ago

I think people fundamentally misunderstand the concept of bail. Bail isn't for "protecting the public." It's to keep someone from fleeing the jurisdiction before trial. What justification is there for "monitoring" him? What evidence do you have that this guy is guilty of anything? Oh, right. You read the paper online.

ebyrdstarr 5 years, 2 months ago

You are right, MadameX, but it's not just a statute, it's the state Constitution. Bail is a matter of right except in capital cases. As for the defendant posing a danger to the community, that is not a factor that goes in to the calculation of bail. The purpose of a bail amount is to insure the defendant's presence at subsequent court proceedings. As long as he continues to show up for court, his bail isn't going to get any higher.Blame that darn, pesky presumption of innocence for this guy being allowed to be free before he's been convicted of anything.

madameX 5 years, 2 months ago

Why is this guy out on bond? Seriously, he clearly can't be trusted and I'm willing to bet that there are still people who will give animals away to whoever for free so are they really going to prevent him from having any contact with them? What the hell is the judge thinking, and who do I write to to tell them how mad I am?Although now that I think about it there's probably something in the statute or some other statute that requires them to offer bond. I still don't like it.

jchristine2 5 years, 2 months ago

Its absolutely ridiculous that this man is out on bail. Who is monitoring him to make sure he has no contact with any animals between now and his next hearing. Anybody that beats, tortures, an animal should have the same done to him. its so sick and wrong that anybody could do such a thing to a helpless animal. I am appalled.

kmat 5 years, 2 months ago

ARA - the first case involving the cat was just plain abuse. He beat and kicked this cat so hard that it couldn't move. Multiple broken bones. It's sternum was broken so badly it can never totally heal. BUT, it is still in good care and is a happy cat and can get around ok. They (at the vets) were surprised at how sweet the cat was after being beaten and kicked around so badly. So, at least that cat is doing well and is happy. It will be adopted, but for now is considered evidence.I must say it will take all my will power to not run this guy over if I see him in public. I think I could happily sit in jail for that crime, knowing I took this piece of sh*t off the planet.Please do call Branson's office over and over about this. I consider him being released endangering everyone's safety. I hope Midge at the shelter was able to get word out to all the other shelters, but that won't stop this freak from continuing to get them from Craig's list.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 2 months ago

Ah, invictus. Always in character.

flux 5 years, 2 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus comment # 11,533

zettapixel 5 years, 2 months ago

Pywacket...Resorting to name calling is an asinine way of dealing with things don't you think? Besides, I have 2 cats. One with lymphoma. He gets his meds (prednisone / chemo) daily, vet visits once every few weeks, and is enjoying the rest of his days quite comfortably, thank you. He's doing so well in fact, that he's gained 6 pounds (the lymphoma made him lose weight drastically) and acting like a kitten again. And you say I should not have a pet... would YOUR pet be so lucky as to receive the best treatment money can buy if it got cancer? Probably not. So next time you make a comment and call someone a dimwit, just bite your tongue. The world will be a much better place for it.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 2 months ago

"Is there a point where Basoflas remains in jail until his trial?"Yeah... what about the public's safety? As recently as AUGUST he was released on similar charges. Who in their right mind would assume he's not at the Olathe animal shelter right now looking for a "date"? He won't stop, and will someday graduate to people once he's bored with the screams of kitties.I'm outraged.

webmocker 5 years, 2 months ago

"Is this behavoir common in Turkey?"No.

Pywacket 5 years, 2 months ago

It would seem that all this sick f*** learned from the cat incident was to kill the victim rather than taking it for medical care--that way (he probably hoped), no one would intervene. He probably hadn't counted on maintenance people finding the evidence of his latest crime. zettapixel and wally~ If you can't figure out the difference between using a gun to make a quick, hopefully painless kill of a game animal, and torturing and sexually abusing an animal to the point at which it can hardly breathe due to its injuries--or the point at which it dies from loss of blood or from the torture itself, I sincerely hope neither of you has pets. Get a clue, dimwits.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 2 months ago

Zetta pixel: I just had the same thought as I read the story. I guess we will have to go with common sense on that one.

invictus 5 years, 2 months ago

Is this behavoir common in Turkey?

ARA 5 years, 2 months ago

The kansan reported that he got free animals off of craigslist and larryville to torture. Please read their article. My heart hurts to hear what he did to the poor cat from before.http://www.kansan.com/stories/2009/feb/10/sophomore_charged/?newsThis sick individual should NOT be allowed out!

hootman31 5 years, 2 months ago

I hate to tell you people this, but the DA isn't going to do anything, as this won't make national news!If it ain't murder, the DA isn't interested in prosecuting!!!(or why is the August Case still pending?)More Charges? How about prosecuting on the current charges instead of just talking about what they are going to do?I would contact the DA's office and let them know your opinion on this.signed - victim of previously unprosecuted crimes in Lawrence!

lawrenceguy40 5 years, 2 months ago

Zettapixel - the difference is sex and also the cute, fluffy nature of his "victims"......

zettapixel 5 years, 2 months ago

What if he practices Santeria or some other esoteric religion where animal sacrifice is allowed? Or what about those kids that killed squirrels the other day? What distinguishes animal cruelty from "good, clean hunting?"

macon47 5 years, 2 months ago

he will have to do community serviceat the humane society,,,,,,if we folllow the usual pathwithin lawrence legal framework

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 2 months ago

I just wish he had a fetish for beer bottles and aluminum cans, we could get the neighborhoods cleaned up :)

Benjamin Roberts 5 years, 2 months ago

LJW,What were the conditions of Basoflas' bond in the August case? Was it revoked since he was arrested while released on bond? What were the DA's recommendations regarding bond? Is there a point where Basoflas remains in jail until his trial?

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 2 months ago

I was thinking the same thing, bozo. I think I maliciously burned and mutilated a few animals the last time I had my bug-zapper on.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 2 months ago

"In both cases, he’s charged with one count of intentionally and maliciously killing, injuring, maiming, torturing, burning or mutilating any animal."How is "animal" defined in the above? What exceptions are there (ie, slaughtering cattle, etc?) What about mosquitos or rats? They would definitely be included under "any animal," unless specifically excluded.

cabella 5 years, 2 months ago

Hopefully District Judge Robert Fairchild will pwn this freak.

nomorebobsplease 5 years, 2 months ago

Oh great, so he's out and since he's not allowed to torture animals now.....what's his next outlet for violence going to be? Or who?