Archive for Tuesday, February 10, 2009

10 plead guilty to drug-trafficking ring in Lawrence

February 10, 2009

Ten suspects pleaded guilty to federal charges for participating in a crack cocaine trafficking ring in Lawrence, acting U.S. Attorney Marietta Parker’s office said Tuesday.

The drug ring spanned seven years and put at least 1 kilogram, or about 2.2 pounds, of crack cocaine on the streets every month, prosecutors said.

Two of the suspects, Gerald Dunn and Shaune Frazier, were obtaining ounces of cocaine to be made into crack cocaine for distribution in the Lawrence area, said Jim Cross, Parker’s spokesman.

Cross said co-defendants handled most of the drug distribution from multiple apartments in Lawrence, located in the 400 block of Wisconsin Street, 2400 block of Alabama Street and the 500 block of California Street.

“During searches of these apartments, officers found more than 3 ounces of crack cocaine, plastic wrappings for kilogram quantities of cocaine and assorted paraphernalia used in the manufacture and distribution of crack cocaine,” Cross said. “Working with confidential informants, investigators were able to make a series of controlled purchases from the conspirators.”

The drug ring began in 2000 and continued through 2006, he said.

Prosecutors said these 10 people were involved in the case and are scheduled to be sentenced in May:

l Frazier, 35, of Kansas City, Mo.; Gary Brown, 26, of Leavenworth; and Troy Jarrett, 35, Ahmad Austin, 29, Aaron Jackson, 37, and Leland Roebuck, 47, all of Lawrence, each pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute or possess with the intent to distribute more than 5 kilograms of cocaine or more than 50 grams of crack cocaine. The crime carries a penalty of between 10 years and life in federal prison and a fine of up to $4 million.

• Cory Price, 29, pleaded guilty to one count of possession with intent to distribute more than 500 grams of cocaine.

• Mike Wilkins, 31, and Christina Wilkins, 31, each pleaded guilty to distribution of more than 5 grams of crack cocaine.

• Stephen Barbee, 44, of Lawrence, pleaded guilty to one count of distribution of crack cocaine.

The case against Dunn, 36, was transferred to federal court in Missouri, where he was to plead guilty, Cross said.

Lawrence police and the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office led the investigation, Parker said in a news release. They were assisted by the Kansas Highway Patrol and the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

Comments

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 10 months ago

Went to high school with one of them. Wish I could say I was surprised.

kmat 5 years, 10 months ago

The difference is that a crack head breaks into your house to steal your stuff and there's a good chance they will be violent.A pot head won't break into your house because it would take too much effort and will just end up at a friends house that has weed, drinking their beer, eating their cheetos and sleeping on their couch.

Jaminrawk 5 years, 10 months ago

I went to junior high and high school with two of these guys. You would think that eventually being a loser would stop being fun.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 10 months ago

I wonder why Dunn was transported out of state to plead guilty? No honor among drug lords?

Jeremy 5 years, 10 months ago

Excellent job cops!!!In recognition for your hard work and a lifetime of looking over your shoulder, threats aimed towards you and the lives of your families, and having to carry a gun every where you go incase the gang members/crack dealers who didn't get caught come after you...I grant you a reduction in wages and benefits. Good luck and thanks again!Signed: Dave, Sue, Mike, Robert, Michael, and Boog.

eotw33 5 years, 10 months ago

Gerald Dunn?? The jazz musician from kc mo?

flux 5 years, 10 months ago

Troy, not again my friend! The sad part is three of these people of all done time before. How many chances you need?

9070811 5 years, 10 months ago

see this is the bad kind of drug that needs to be eliminated. oh drugs.

Sigmund 5 years, 10 months ago

Christine Anderson 5 years, 10 months ago

Oh dear god- I briefly know one of these people! I was so hoping he had taken advantage of the chances he has had to turn his life around. What a pathetic, sad, waste of lives and God-given potential. I would ask anyone who makes a choice( and it IS a choice) to be involved in drugs, "Was it worth it?"

yoornotmee 5 years, 10 months ago

Wait, so there's suddenly a bunch of clients who need a new source? (Kidding!! I wouldn't deal crack!)

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 10 months ago

Great...there goes my crack connection...back to the meth I guess.

spankyandcranky 5 years, 10 months ago

Hurray for the Lawrence police dept! Crack and meth generally make the people that use it desperate, dangerous, and often inclined to commit crime to fund their habit. I've heard of problems with both in our community. Hopefully they close down some more drug rings soon.

greenworld 5 years, 10 months ago

I just have one thing to say...crackheadsIt's only illegal if you dont get caught. You guys have all been had.Great job LPD with cleaning house a little bit.

workin2hard 5 years, 10 months ago

Oh please like LPD has done anything special. I'm sure they are giving themselves pats on the back. Someone else will step up and take over. If they want to put a dent on the war on drugs go to Columbia.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 10 months ago

I am shocked to hear there is crack dealing in Lawrence, shocked I tell you. A kilo a month for 7 years, that has got to hurt the local economy.yes, once again the business-unfriendly nature of our community is evident. closing down the hard working entrepreneurship of these independent dealers...shutting down a t-shirt manufacturer...man, how we gonna get people to work in Lawrence?*also, Sigmund, I am shocked, shocked I tell you: drug use in the 400-block of wisconsin/500-block of california, and down on blunt bud? more like, when has there not been drug activity at these stellar addresses?

lucky7brand 5 years, 10 months ago

WOW the LPD took 9 years to snag 10 people in a "drug ring" that is sad work!!!!

tempting.....believe me there are many more dealers in lawrence that the police know about that they won't do anything to. so the crackheads have more than one connection so most of them probably have a pipe to their mouth right now. the 10 people, who most are already incarcerated, that are out of the business is not hurting the crackheads. it's the government that allows the drugs into the US anyway. if there were no drugs the cops would be out of work. and by the there is no comparision to someone smoking weed and someone smoking crack. it's apples and oranges. and NO I Don't smoke either one.