Archive for Friday, February 6, 2009

Emergency crews life-flight one after pedestrian-vehicle accident

An emergency helicopter was called to the scene of a car and pedestrian accident in downtown Lawrence.

February 6, 2009, 7:33 a.m. Updated February 6, 2009, 5:36 p.m.

Douglas County Fire and Medical crews wrap up at the scene of a car-pedestrian accident near 11th and Kentucky streets as a LifeStar helicopter takes one patient to a regional hospital. The extent of the person's injuries was unknown Friday morning.

One person was taken by air ambulance to a Kansas City area hospital after a car-pedestrian accident shortly before 7 a.m. Friday, Lawrence police Sgt. Bill Cory said.

The victim, identified by police as David Kalb, 45, Lawrence, was alert and conscious when he was transported. Cory said.

Kalb was flown to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., but no condition report was available.

The car was being driven westbound in the 200 block of West 11th Street by a 42-year-old Lawrence man, Cory said.

The driver’s name has not been released.

The accident scene on 11th between Kentucky and Vermont streets was closed for a few hours Friday morning while officers investigated.

Police don’t know when the accident report will be completed and more information will be released.

Comments

KSChick1 6 years, 4 months ago

LifeFlight helicopter was in the bank parking lot when I drove by at 7:30. The police had the street blocked off and were tending to somebody in the car. I could see something crumpled in the street but couldn't tell for sure what it was. Looked like clothes/coat/bag or something. Ch. 6 was there with a camera so I'm sure there'll be video later or on the news tonight.Hope everyone is ok.

klthompson1 6 years, 4 months ago

The Life Star helicoptor was just taking off at about 7:35 as I drove by. Police had the intersection of 11th and Kentucky stopped so that the helicoptor could take off from the First Christian Church parking lot.

Curtis Lange 6 years, 4 months ago

If the car in question is the one in the picture, that is a Mazda.

Kat Christian 6 years, 4 months ago

I dread that section of street every time I go to the ATM machines. I've been hit there myself. People drive too fast through there, are always in too much of a hurry and don't pay attention. There is a community center there - you'd think people would realize that people often walk in that area and to watch out for them. Young people - don't be so much in a hurry life will pass you by soon enough.

mdfraz 6 years, 4 months ago

Young people? From what the article says, the two people involved were 42 and 45. Not to insult people of that age, but that's hardly "young".

Mike Blur 6 years, 4 months ago

Whenever I read articles like this, Simon immediately comes to mind. He's wandered (literally) the streets of Lawrence for years without getting hit. Of course, he could be in county lockup too. Haven't seen him in a while.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 4 months ago

"Of course, he could be in county lockup too. Haven't seen him in a while."I think I saw him at Dillon's the other day... just kidding.

Kynsicat 6 years, 4 months ago

I hope he is going to be ok! Very scary!On a side note, does anyone know what happened to the young woman who was hit by a car while she was walking across 9th (& Mississippi) a few weeks ago? I stopped and waited until the medics arrived. She was put on a backboard and taken via ambulance, but I never saw anything in the paper about it. Just wondering if she's ok?