Archive for Friday, February 6, 2009

Phelps draws suspension

February 6, 2009

Michael Phelps’ day grew lousier by the hour on Thursday.

First he lost a major sponsor, then he got suspended.

The Olympic great was suspended from competition for three months by USA Swimming, the latest fallout from a photo that showed him inhaling from a marijuana pipe.

The sport’s national governing body also cut off its financial support to Phelps for the same three-month period, effective immediately.

“This is not a situation where any anti-doping rule was violated, but we decided to send a strong message to Michael because he disappointed so many people, particularly the hundreds of thousands of USA Swimming member kids who look up to him as a role model and a hero,” the Colorado Springs-based federation said in a statement.

“Michael has voluntarily accepted this reprimand and has committed to earn back our trust.”

Phelps won a record eight gold medals in Beijing and returned to America as one of the world’s most acclaimed athletes. He made headlines of a different kind, however, in the wake of the photo, published Sunday by News of the World, a British tabloid.

Earlier Thursday, cereal and snack maker Kellogg Co. announced it wouldn’t renew its sponsorship contract with Phelps, saying his behavior is “not consistent with the image of Kellogg.” The swimmer appeared on the company’s cereal boxes after his Olympic triumph.

USA Swimming provides a $1,750 monthly stipend to national team members to help defray travel and training expenses, plus performance bonuses. However, it’s a small percentage of the millions Phelps makes through endorsements.

The 23-year-old has resumed training in his hometown of Baltimore, but his plans to return to competitive swimming will have to be put on hold. Phelps had planned to compete in early March at a Grand Prix meet in Austin, Texas.

Comments

labmonkey 5 years, 2 months ago

I am actually for decriminalizing marijuana....But I am kind of glad to see this happen to Phelps. I watched an interview with him and his agent and they laughed as they turned down a $5 million sponsorship deal. There was underlying d-bagitry to him and I am kind of happy to see this happen.

righthanded 5 years, 2 months ago

The DUI isn't helping him. I don't think he should be a role model for children.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 2 months ago

Hawk-I thought that as well, but USOC would ban him even longer.I love how smokey treats is the one thing that brings the LJW message board together.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 2 months ago

Logrithmimic, from a right winger to a left winger, I have no beef with legalizing pot. Afterall, the past three presidents have smoked pot and done blow even. Obama even one time almost did some smack but got scared of the needle (he says). It just seems a bit ridiculous to not. I'd rather be a pot smoker than a drinker, but after my early 20's, I guess my metabolism changed or something, but I kind of stopped enjoying it, not that I don't take a hit here and there. It shuts me up--makes me quiet. Wouldn't you want me to start doing it again?

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 2 months ago

Why doesn't Phelps say screw everyone and put his picture on a pack of Zig Zag papers.

righthanded 5 years, 2 months ago

Disgust with Kellogg? I'm disgusted with you! Just like a Democrap! You pothead!

logrithmic 5 years, 2 months ago

BTW, there is now a petition available for those who want to register their disgust with Kellogg's. Go here:http://www.opednews.com/articles/Petition-to-Boycott-Kellog-by-Lee-Stranahan-090206-171.html

logrithmic 5 years, 2 months ago

And to those who want a medical opinion, I give you the Merck Manual:http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec15/ch198/ch198i.html

logrithmic 5 years, 2 months ago

A totally great must read article on the Phelps/Obama inhaling and the need to decriminalize if not legalize marijuana:http://www.opednews.com/articles/Phelps-and-Obama--leading-by-Rob-Kall-090206-648.html

curious2 5 years, 2 months ago

logrithmic:...I concur!You make us proud!from: a recreational user

logrithmic 5 years, 2 months ago

I think its past time for a marijuana users revolt. Those who use this natural herb for its medicinal or recreational purposes need to stand up and put an end to the lunacy of the war on driugs.Call out the hypocrisy of a nation that permits alcohol to be advertised nonstop on the nation's airwaves, a beverage that is known to be addictive and damaging to millions. Call out the hypocrisy of a nation that permits nicotine to be used in bars and restaurants throughout despite its well known addicitive properties and its documented harmfulness to human health.800,000 marijuana users face legal persecution every year. It's time to end it.

tumbilweed 5 years, 2 months ago

"Phelps won a record eight gold medals in Beijing and returned to America as one of the world’s most acclaimed athletes."It seems as though the ganja wasn't affecting him a bit. So why is everyone else so concerned? Legalize it!

logrithmic 5 years, 2 months ago

I've bought my last box of Kellogg cereal.This war on drugs, especially the war on marijuana is bogus and a lie. Rightwingers continue to wage war against people in this country. 800,000 were arrested last year for minor marijuana violations.Phelps should hold his head up high:http://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/124793/michael_phelps_has_no_business_apologizing_for_taking_bong_hits/And the war on marijuana must end!http://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/125574/obama_is_against_pot_raids%2C_the_public_is_against_pot_raids%2C_and_yet_..._the_drug_cops%27_raids_continue/God bless!

angelmom 5 years, 2 months ago

That's more punishment than Bill Clinton got! Oh, yeah. He didn't inhale. I forgot!