Archive for Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Five juveniles arrested after armed robbery near KU campus

Five juveniles were arrested after an armed robbery near the KU campus. The victim was robbed at gunpoint in the 1100 block of Ohio Street while sitting in a car.

December 29, 2009, 12:00 a.m. Updated January 22, 2010, 3:57 p.m.

Five juveniles were arrested in connection with a Monday night armed robbery reported near the Kansas University campus, police said.

An 18-year-old Lawrence man was reportedly robbed shortly after 6 p.m. by a person armed with a gun. The crime occurred in the 1100 block of Ohio Street.

"The victim was approached by the suspect as he was sitting in his vehicle," said Sgt. Michael Monroe, Lawrence police spokesman.

“The victim reported three or four males approached his vehicle,” said Kim Murphree, police spokeswoman. “One suspect approached the driver’s side and displayed the handgun and demanded cash.”

The suspects fled the scene after the victim turned over cash. According to an offense report made available Jan. 22, the suspects stole $200 cash, a cell phone and a leather wallet. The total property loss was estimated at $267.

A Lawrence girl and another man, who is not from Lawrence, were also in the vehicle at the time of the robbery, Monroe said. No injuries were reported.

Officers located a suspect vehicle and arrested the five suspects, Murphree said. Police and prosecutors did not release information about them Tuesday, because of their ages.

Douglas County prosecutors said three of the juveniles had been charged in the case, but they would not disclose what they were charged with. A decision hasn’t been made about how or whether to charge two of the suspects, said David Melton, chief assistant district attorney.

Comments

monkeylove 4 years, 11 months ago

when will we receive more info on this particular robbery?

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 11 months ago

Mokeylove--

We hope to get more this morning. We'll post something as soon as we can.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Flap Doodle 4 years, 11 months ago

Janet Napolitano has announced that this incident proves the LPD system works.

ralphralph 4 years, 11 months ago

Napolitano is the new Brownie ... as in "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job!"

moondoggy 4 years, 11 months ago

I heard this was committed by 3-4 juveniles. What are these kids thinking?

emptymind 4 years, 11 months ago

LJW states these kids are from Lawrence. Imagine that I suppose some will say they had 'friends' from Topeka or Kansas City encourage them to do this?

Stuart Evans 4 years, 11 months ago

It was probably the loud rock and roll music and all the drugs that made these kids do this. those things are the work of the devil and only jesus can save us and them from such things.

somebodynew 4 years, 11 months ago

jkeeling -

Here is a question I would ask the LPD. There have been several similar robberies/incidents in that area. Are these guys connected to the other incidents ?

Now, I know they probably won't tell you, but this does seem to fit.

igby 4 years, 11 months ago

Lawrence, is listed on Wikip. as having around 21% of it's population living well below the national poverty level. Olathe, has 4.3 % and Topeka 13%. So when the local government whines about the county and school districts be underpaid when compared to Topeka and Olathe, we can just say no to their pay raises. There is no economy of scale facts to back up their prof to justify any comparable pay scales from these two cities.

LoveThsLife 4 years, 11 months ago

We are fairly new to Lawrence, how often do these types of things happen? Do the happen in certain parts of town???

brother_cumulus 4 years, 11 months ago

LoveThsLife...

Not too often...probably only every 19 hours or so.

pace 4 years, 11 months ago

They happen every 28 minutes and oddly in the same square block, rotating with the sun. Our police department doesn't seem to keep track by location if someone is robbing someone in one neighborhood or these statistics would be known to all. Sometimes it is every thirty minutes but that is only when it is cold.

yankeevet 4 years, 11 months ago

What would of happened if the victim was armed; jeeezzz a shootout right here in Lawrence............

bigdave 4 years, 11 months ago

yankeevet (Anonymous) says… What would of happened if the victim was armed; jeeezzz a shootout right here in Lawrence…………

I wish he would had a gun and shot all five of them scum bags in the head!!!!!!!

deboutonner 4 years, 11 months ago

Lemme tell you you’re all wrong.

It seems like the majority of you ljworld readers who comment on here are old paranoid hypocrites with your head some place I can’t say on here, but would be glad to tell you all about in person.

To emptymind What does it matter if they are from kansas city or topeka? Your name sure does fit.

To Greenworld Maybe you’re the one who should be name emptymind if you are asking what race is involved. That has nothing to do with anyones intentions and will fill this article up with so many ignorant comments if that needless information was shown.

To AreUNorml I hope you were being sarcastic. If not, God does not exist. The devil had no damn part in rock and roll. And Jesus aint savin no body. You gotta be on some sort of drugs if you still think there is some guy who died just for you and everyone else and that will “save” you if you start listening to rock and smokin pot.

Some idiots tried to rob some kids, sort of succeeded, but didn’t get very far with the little they got, then got locked up. Some info is also mixed up in that article too. But that will just throw you brown nosers off :)

Steve Jacob 4 years, 11 months ago

Kids off school was the problem here. Anyway, I hope the one holding the gun is charged as an adult. You know the others will sell him out.

Kawatchi 4 years, 11 months ago

These kids picked the wrong town to do this stuff in. They are staring at a week, maybe two weeks of probation, minimum. One or two of them could even lose their World of Warcraft accounts for a month.

angel4dennis 4 years, 11 months ago

I am glad to hear there were no injuries involved. When you bring guns into the mix, usually not much good comes from it. I find it rather sad that these juveniles felt the need to rob someone. I don't know who they are or their backgrounds but I hope they can get some help now before they become adults.

redmoonrising 4 years, 11 months ago

Lovethslife, I've managed to "live" here for a good number of years without any negative incidents. Sometimes it's all just in what we're looking for. .

jafs 4 years, 11 months ago

redmoon,

I generally agree, and if you don't get drunk and walk around in the middle of the night, you're generally safe here.

But, this happened at 6pm in a perfectly decent neighborhood, which bothers me.

emptymind 4 years, 11 months ago

deboutonner.....I am from Topeka and it seems the prevalant mood of some 'Lawrencians' is that all the violence in their perfect little town is caused by punks from Topeka or KC. Is it such a surprise that Larryland has a crime element to it? BTW...I'd rather my mind be empty than filled with garbage from reading post like yours

Chris Bohling 4 years, 11 months ago

Igby, those numbers are skewed unless they are ignoring Lawrence's student population. A vast majority of KU students live officially below the poverty line, but a college student living below the line is not the same as a single mom.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 11 months ago

"Lawrence, is listed on Wikip. as having around 21% of it's population living well below the national poverty level."

Igby: 21% of our population may have poverty-level income, but those students are living better than I am. If 21% of our population was living in poverty Lawrence would be a hell hole. Compared to Wichita or Topeka, we have almost no underclass.

budwhysir 4 years, 11 months ago

sounds like these guys picked the right person to hold up. If they had held up some of the people postin on this, they may not have been so lucky

50YearResident 4 years, 11 months ago

The whole problem with juveniles commiting crimes is the fact that they get a free pass until their 18th birthday. They can commit all the crime they want to and their names are never revealed. How much better can it be? When I was a kid I had to be responsible for my actions, therefore I didn't break the law. We need to revert back to accountability regardless of age and have the criminal records follow each person for life.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 11 months ago

deboutonner.. yes, my comment was heavily laden with sarcasm from top to bottom.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 11 months ago

not entirely true 50year.. some juveniles can be tried as adults if they are particularly heinous.

50YearResident 4 years, 11 months ago

Do you think this would deter some of the juvenile crimes commited today .
Joseph Blow, 13, son of Sam Blow with address of 100 Adams Drive was arrested today for armed robbery of the 7 Eleven Store at 1800 West 23rd St. He is now in jail awaiting trial.

flabergasted 4 years, 11 months ago

These kids are from both high schools in Lawrence, more than one race (not that it matters), some of them in trouble before, the others not. I am very sad that these kids chose to do this and am glad they did not hurt the young man they robbed. They all need to be held accountable. We need to remind our kids that one bad choice can damage their future (and maybe ours), but we can't keep them locked in their rooms, can we?

Clickker 4 years, 11 months ago

I think these were the same kids that were involved in the stabbing's in September. Too bad...they coulda been very good athletes.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 11 months ago

If they would have been armed with snowshovels and been offering to shovel snow instead, they could have kept the cash and gotten a wave and a nod from the cops.

deboutonner 4 years, 11 months ago

emptymind – Are you honestly asking me if it is a surprise that Lawrence has crime? I laughed when I read that. I live here and I’m young. I’m part of it. I know damn well Kansas City and Topeka are not to blame for our crime. You also make it sound like everyone from Lawrence thinks that everything bad is caused by someone from Kansas City or Topeka. That's just closed minded people like you. The only difference, in this case, between you and people in Lawrence is that you think we think our town is perfect. We don’t at all. Your city is bigger, so it will have more crime. But we have plenty of problems to. This is a major college town, Heelllooooo??? I would also like to know how my last post was garbage? You don’t know anything about that robbery and clearly nothing about Lawrence. Im thinkin you just said that thinking it would make me mad? It was just another thing to make me laugh. I don’t take offence to ignorant remarks.

ifuonlyknew 4 years, 11 months ago

These kids are not bad people. One of them I happen to be very close with and I'm very disappointed in his choices that he made, but we all make mistakes don't we? Hopefully everyone involved in this situation will be able to learn from there mistakes. ALSO i find it very funny that it states the suspects "demanded cash" from what I heard from a close friend was it was marijuana that was stolen from the person. Kind of like a Drug Deal gone bad..... Poor kids...

Clickker 4 years, 11 months ago

Doesnt matter if they were stealing from a thief.

ralphralph 4 years, 11 months ago

These kids ARE bad people. Choices, not clothes, make the man. Bad choices = bad person. Lock 'em up.

deboutonner 4 years, 11 months ago

To ralphralph - Everybody makes bad choices. So are we all bad people? Obviously not. You haven't made all the right choices in your life so shut up.

The main victim could be called a thief, but never did anything to the offenders. Mainly just money was taken, but no drugs where involved. That's why those five idiots got arrested.

Linda Aikins 4 years, 11 months ago

redmoon,you crack me up. Not too long ago you constantly whined that you couldn't go downtown because of the lack of safety, and we are always reading about the bad drivers in Lawrence. I think you are very forgetful about things you post.