Archive for Tuesday, December 29, 2009

City of Lawrence backs off issuing tickets over unshoveled sidewalks — until next week

City decides against issuing tickets this week

Two pedestrians maneuver their way along sidewalks Tuesday near 22nd and Louisiana Street. City Hall leaders have decided against citing people for violating the city’s snow shoveling ordinance for the rest of this week. Instead, warnings will be issued.

December 29, 2009

City issuing warnings for uncleared walkways

The city decided to postpone fining Lawrence residents for unclear sidewalks for another week. Uncleared sidewalks pose a safety hazard for those using them. Enlarge video

Stressed snow shovelers now have a little extra time.

City Hall leaders announced Tuesday that they have decided against citing people for violating the city’s new stricter snow shoveling ordinance for the rest of this week.

Instead, city inspectors will hand-deliver written warning notices to addresses where the city has received a complaint about an unshoveled sidewalk. By Tuesday afternoon, the city had received about 250 complaints.

“We really felt strongly that we didn’t want to start writing tickets today,” said Megan Gilliland, the city’s communications manager. “We want to do a public education campaign so that people are really aware of this ordinance.”

But the warning notice does tell property owners that city inspectors will return during the week of Jan. 4 to re-inspect the property. If an effort to shovel the sidewalks has not been made at that time, the property owner will be subject to a city ticket. The fine for the ticket is $20 per day, plus $52 in city court costs.

The City Commission in December 2008 passed a stricter snow shoveling ordinance that requires public sidewalks to be cleared within 48 hours after snow stops falling in the area. A major part of the new ordinance was that the city would stop the practice of issuing a warning to property owners.

But Gilliland said the extraordinary amount of snow from the storm — about 8.5 inches — caused city officials to rethink how to enforce the ordinance. Although the ordinance was approved more than a year ago, this is the first major snowfall the city has enforced the ordinance.

City inspectors also are being lenient in how they gauge compliance with the issue. Brian Jimenez, the city’s codes enforcement manager, said his inspectors are looking for evidence that property owners have made a good-faith effort to remove snow from their sidewalks.

Comments

ashmole 4 years, 11 months ago

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 11 months ago

Bless there little pea pickin hearts. Doing property owners such a huge service.

thelonious 4 years, 11 months ago

Ridiculous. Why even bother to have the ordinance?

KCMO_Jayhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

The ordianance is ridiculous to me! After all, the city itself has not done an adequate job of removing snow from the streets! The nerve of city officials to put a time limit on shoveling your sidewalks!

StrangerCreek 4 years, 11 months ago

Does the City have all their sidewalks cleared? Did they get it done in 48 hours after the snow stopped? Anybody have any examples? Maybe we could write the City a ticket...

Frightwig 4 years, 11 months ago

"But I can't shovel my sidewalk within 48 hours. You see, I am a fatso who would rather sit on my couch and watch Jerry Springer."

Once again, Lawrence coddles the lazy.

budwhysir 4 years, 11 months ago

who do I call? I need to complain about myself. I have not cleared my sidewalk in 3 days and I am very upset about it. Now that the city has cleared the roads, I am steaming mad that I would even think about letting an hour go by without gettin up out of this wheelchair and shoveling that snow right off that sidewalk. Come on people, join my fight dont let handicap people like me get away for another day. Arrest us get us good tax paying people off the streets

Shane Garrett 4 years, 11 months ago

What if the owner is on vacation for a couple of weeks?

Shane Garrett 4 years, 11 months ago

The city and Douglas County Senior Services also offers a snow shoveling program for the elderly or other people who can not physically shovel their walks. People can call 842-0543 for more information about that program. (for those to lazy to read the whole story)

Easy 4 years, 11 months ago

I wish they would enforce it, it sure is a pain to walk the dogs with so many unshoveled sidewalks.

budwhysir 4 years, 11 months ago

Wally, Im not to lazy to read this story just to mad to make sense of all of it. But as I understand you to say, you have time to come by and take care of this for me. Cause Im sure that the city wont hold up on giving me that ticket just cause some help service has not had time to make it by. Not like me to depend on others for something that just doesnt make sense. People help me out enough. Dont need to be bothered trying to do something the city cant get done

lionheart72661 4 years, 11 months ago

ashmole (Anonymous) says…

This is pathetic. The city should enforce the ordinance. 250 complaints means that this is a serious problem and that law-abiding citizens expect the city to act. Frightwig (Anonymous) says…

“But I can't shovel my sidewalk within 48 hours. You see, I am a fatso who would rather sit on my couch and watch Jerry Springer.”

Once again, Lawrence coddles the lazy. Hey frightwig I have 2 full time jobs and 160 feet of sidewalk to shovel in which I did shovel. It is not a matter of laziness it is a matter of time for most people. i shoveled at 5 am before i went to my day job while you were probably still asleep so don't talk about things you have no idea about. Do YOU have a sidewalk?

d_prowess 4 years, 11 months ago

I actually don't mind this move since the story is correct that this is really the first heavy snow we have had since the ordinance changed. And let's be honest, how many people in this town don't actually get the LJW or read it online to even know about such changes in the city code. I know, ignorance shouldn't be a defense, but this at least gives those people one chance to learn before it costs them.
Now next time it snows though, tickets have to be issued. The city can't continuously do this.

Richard Payton 4 years, 11 months ago

Last night Fox 4 news reported if you live on the Missouri side of line its better not to remove the snow due to how the law is written.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 11 months ago

250 complaints?! seriously? what's wrong with you people that you can't wait to call and complain about your neighbors. I'm sure most of the calls are from the same 10 people, probably complaining about sidewalks that they would never even step foot on. I hope that we get a few warm days and all those sidewalks just evaporate themselves clean before Jan. 4.

EdenPrairie87 4 years, 11 months ago

I do think they should enforce the ordinance but should hold off until the city is able to clear it's own sidewalks of snow. The sidewalk in front of Ludlam Park on 9th Street is still packed with snow while the houses on either side of the park have cleared their portion of the walk.

Maybe the city decided not to issue tickets because they'd have to fine themselves $72 per occurrence. I would like to know how many of the 250 complaints were against actual houses and how many were against the city.

cowboy 4 years, 11 months ago

I think that every one should get 18 days to clean their sidewalks cuz you know this storm was like 9 storms in one and so it should take 9 times 2 days to clean off your sidewalks .

Chris Ogle 4 years, 11 months ago

I really do care...... about something else

muddfoot55 4 years, 11 months ago

The ordinance shouldn't go into effect till the city has the streets cleaned and their own sidewalks shovelled.

And this being winter break.....where are all the kids that could be making a few bucks, better yet, doing their community a service, shovelling snow? Oh, I forgot....they are too busy on their cell phones and video games to be ...heaven forbid...OUTSIDE doing something constructive.

Ahhh...the next generation of lazy, complaining adults.

persevering_gal 4 years, 11 months ago

Who takes care of the sidewalks without businesses or homes? Examples: portions of Wakarusa, Clinton Prkwy, 6th St., Iowa, Kasold, Montery, etc.

stlcards515 4 years, 11 months ago

I sure would like to see the city clear off their bike paths within 48 hours. I live on Kasold and I can tell you that they aren't clear. Perhaps I should issue the city a warning.

Beth Ennis 4 years, 11 months ago

I can't stay quiet on this one. We live on a corner lot and have a huge amount of sidewalks to shovel. Even when my husband is out of town, I have kept it cleared as we live in an area with a high amount of foot traffic. I have been thanked many times by people walking for shoveling my sidewalks. We live next to 2 apt. buildings, who always get their parking lot shoveled, but in 8 years, they have NEVER once shoveled the sidewalk. One of the sides (another corner lot) is on the north side of the buildings, and it is usually months before all the ice (snow turns to ice) melts and it is safe to walk on. Guess what, their sidewalks were shoveled today for the first time. How nice that it took being threatened with a ticket instead of just some common sense. The worst part is I'm sure the owner is making very good money from the people renting these apts, but they've never before paid money to get their sidewalks shoveled. People, if you don't want to take care of your lawn and sidwalks, then move to an apt!

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 11 months ago

So the city shoves tons of snow off the street on to a property owner's sidewalk, in some places four or five feet deep, how do you expect it to be moved and maybe the city is at fault in these cases.

Larry 4 years, 11 months ago

Funny.. The most liberal city in Kansas. A perfect example of government gone wild!!!!!!!! Glad I don't live in Lawrence.

Jeremiah Jefferson 4 years, 11 months ago

This really is the stupidest thing I have heard of in a very long time. I can understand local businesses, schools, apartment complexes and offices having to have the side walks cleared. But its ludicrous for the city to expect every single home owner inside the city limits to actually shovel a side walk. It snows once, maybe twice a year and if people cant handle walking through a little snow once or twice a year, then they got more problems than the snow and ice. Even if someone is physically disabled or elderly, they ought not be walking around in normal conditions, let alone when there is 8 inches of snow on the ground. How many times does the city offer to pay the tab on someone's wrecked car because they accidently slid into a curb or someone elses car because of, improperly cleared streets or streets that weren't cleared at all? $20 fine and $52 court costs, heck it would be cheaper to just spend the night in jail. There is no reason a fine for not shoveling your walk should cost that much. Parking tickets dont even cost that much and that is by far a worse offense than not shoveling a side walk. Simpy put, its a stupid ordinance. It would be different if Lawrence was in Wyoming or Colorado, but its not. We are lucky to see snow 2 or 3 times a year with a total of less than 8 inches of accumulation. Perhaps the city should be more productive in keeping themselves busy doing more important things instead of wasting tax payer money debating on weather someone needs a snow shoveling ticket or not.

Jimo 4 years, 11 months ago

Why not? Property ownership is both a responsibility and a privilege. I can't count how many times it was inconvenient for me to get out and shovel (or expensive to pay someone to do it when I was out of town). Don't come complaining to me that the City has budget issues when it has the means and authority to levy fines against those who beggar their neighbors.

sundancewierdo 4 years, 11 months ago

Hey Catfish, the article said "The city will not ticket people who have had their sidewalks covered by mounds of snow from plowing operations." so don't panic...

wcp 4 years, 11 months ago

Lazy sacks.
Must all be girly men.

Nikki May 4 years, 11 months ago

My 12 year old shoveled ours. She actually enjoys it, and refuses help. Great for her, great for us. So, I'm not worried about the fine. I do wish it was enforced, just as soon as the city does their own of course. Today driving to work, I saw several people walking down the street, but I can't be mad at them, there was no sidewalk clear. I really think we need to reexamine the snow removal of the entire city.

RoeDapple 4 years, 11 months ago

I would say the city got a lot of calls from a very few people. Inundated with complaints, short of enforcement manpower, their bluff was called and they backed down. I'm totally impressed

Richard Heckler 4 years, 11 months ago

The city must approach this whole matter differently. This is one of those ordinances that will be enforced only as a result of a complaint.

Some walks had considerably more snow after the plows did their work. So who is responsible for those walks?

How about people who travel by electric wheel chair? People who do not or cannot drive? How does anyone expect them to get around?

Blocking cars in with plowed snow seems unreasonable. How are these people expected to get to work and school on time? 7 wheel barrow loads were required to remove plowed snow from my drive. This takes time. Sure public transportation is available. However vehicle owners need adequate time to make that arrangement.... if they are KC/JOCO or Topeka commuters what then?

Does this ordinance apply to city property and USD 497 property?

How about rental properties? Who is responsible? Probably some rental property owners were refusing.

Jeremiah Jefferson 4 years, 11 months ago

I guess if the home owner is responsible for the side walk, then charging a toll to pedestrians wouldnt be out of line... Its settled, charge tolls and use money to shovel walk or pay fine..

Randall Barnes 4 years, 11 months ago

Frightwig 4 years, 11 months ago

"Hey frightwig I have 2 full time jobs and 160 feet of sidewalk to shovel in which I did shovel. It is not a matter of laziness it is a matter of time for most people. i shoveled at 5 am before i went to my day job while you were probably still asleep so don't talk about things you have no idea about. Do YOU have a sidewalk?"

Cassie Powell 4 years, 11 months ago

this ordinance cracks me up...

it is NOT my sidewalk if i want to put a fence around it

Yet IT is my sidewalk if i dont clear it for people to walk on...

lionheart72661 4 years, 11 months ago

Frightwig (Anonymous) says…

“Hey frightwig I have 2 full time jobs and 160 feet of sidewalk to shovel in which I did shovel. It is not a matter of laziness it is a matter of time for most people. i shoveled at 5 am before i went to my day job while you were probably still asleep so don't talk about things you have no idea about. Do YOU have a sidewalk?” –- Yes, and I too shoveled bright and early. I totally respect you for taking the time to clear your sidewalk for our fellow citizens. You illustrated the point I'm trying to make: Even a person with two jobs and a heck-of-a-lot of sidewalk can make time to do the right thing. I like your no-nonsense approach. You don't let tough times get the best of you! You take action and get things done! When life hands lionheart lemons, he makes lemonade! Thank you for your kick-butt attitude! Seriously, I mean it! Well I too appreciate your cando attitude. I read your first post and automatically "ASSUMED" you were just a complainer. I do apologize.Thank you for your response.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 11 months ago

No one mentioned no way in heck could the court system handle 250 cases like this. Do you thing everyone will just pay the ticket, without putting up a fight.

mdrndgtl 4 years, 11 months ago

My neighbors have yet to shovel their sidewalks, so for now my dog is forced to crap in the yard across the street...

Stimulus and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless you all

Gary Pomeroy 4 years, 11 months ago

Anyone mention that KU has not shoveled their sidewalks down Iowa from the top of the hill down to 23rd street and down Clinton Parkway? And the city sidewalks down Clinton Parkway? Has to be at least 10 violations.

texburgh 4 years, 11 months ago

If you pass an ordinance, enforce it.

If you don't want to enforce it, repeal it.

City Commission: grow a pair.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 11 months ago

WELL THE CLOCK STARTS OVERN IT'S SNOWING AGAIN....

b_asinbeer 4 years, 11 months ago

Friend of mine shoveled his sidewalk immediately after it snowed...then the road plows came and pushed the snow back onto the sidewalk. He told me that technically, he did shovel it, took a picture just in case and refuses to shovel again. I'm with him on this one.

RomanNose 4 years, 11 months ago

Do the city sidewalks belong to the city or property owners?

Pat Long 4 years, 11 months ago

I walk (and pick up after) my dog four times a day, yet have to contend with unshoveled sidewalks and mounds of snow in the intersections. I've had enough of this silliness.

Jayhawker07 4 years, 11 months ago

Back in the day (40yrs. ago) when I was growing up, a snow day ment, no school plus I could go out and make some fast cash. Chistmas break was even better. I would walk up and down my streets and shovel one drive after another with my buddies. Now days, I would like to have it done for me. Funny thing is, where are all the kids who want to make fast cash? What is the lack of motivation these days? Anyway, different times I guess (with my shovel in hand).

dontcallmedan 4 years, 11 months ago

Jayhawker07--Back in my day (the same as your day) two or three walks would get you enough for the new Beatle album. Haven't seen a kid with a shovel since the storm hit.

chargeit 4 years, 11 months ago

City "leaders" have no backbone. ENFORCE THE ORDINACE! This is the time it should be enforced the most. Next time I get a traffic ticket, I think it sould be waived since it is really inconvient for me...........

sciencefair 4 years, 11 months ago

And I am sure that the property management companies (i.e. slumlords) are part of why the city is being lenient. We never had a shoveled walk when I lived in one of Gage Management's properties. Then again, they also were really slow about any repairs. I would hate to see what those tenants have to deal with, and I hope someone gets hurt and sues the slumlords and the city for not enforcing city code.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 11 months ago

The question of who owns the sidewalks has come up several times. The answer is the city owns the right of way but the property owner is responsible for maintainence.

KsTwister 4 years, 11 months ago

I wonder how many senior citizens are having heart attacks trying to do this? Most are not going to call for help and I already saw one ambulance delivery to the hospital for their fall. Enough already. Have a heart.

Sherry Warren 4 years, 11 months ago

I was in Ames, Iowa right before Christmas - snow everywhere. Looked like they have run out of places to shove it and they won't see the ground (or sidewalks) until April. Bellyachers - I suggest you move out in the county. Fewer services = less to complain about. No walks to clear, only your own driveway to deal with and cruddy township roads that drift over constantly. Three trash removal companies to choose from... it's glorious!

Melissa Kounelaki 4 years, 11 months ago

Regardless of whether you agree with the city ordinance or not, shoveling your sidewalk is just a neighborly thing to do. It's no different than mowing your lawn if you have one. I've waited years and years for the chance to own a home and have these "burdens".

tir 4 years, 11 months ago

I shoveled my walk on Christmas Day and for the 2 days after that when it snowed. I also got out and shoveled this morning in the dark, and will have to do it again when I am home at lunch because it is still coming down. Meanwhile I am having to wade through through unshoveled and unplowed walks and streets in order to get to work. Frankly, I am angry at the city for letting this slide for another week. I have not reported anyone YET, but I am very, very tempted.

mlt7898 4 years, 11 months ago

Does anyone know who to contact at the City to protest this oridinance, or how to go about it?

Mike Wagner 4 years, 11 months ago

LETS FACE IT, THE CITY GOVERNMENT IN THIS TOWN IS A JOKE FROM START TO FINISH!!! HOW CAN THEY HAND OUT TICKETS WHEN THEY DONT HAVE THE CITY SIDEWALKS CLEARED? IM STARTING TO REALLY DISLIKE THIS TOWN, AND MOST OF THE PEOPLE IN IT!

Janet Lowther 4 years, 11 months ago

Anyone ticketed should insist on taking it to trial.

If the inspectors are in court they can't be out causing mischief.

Likewise, if the inspectors don't show up, the judge is apt to dismiss the case.

aeroscout17 4 years, 11 months ago

Waa. Simple; take care of your property or pay the consequences. Snow/ice are hazards like anything else. If you don't remove it and someone slips and falls you are liable. Could be worse: Where I lived in Montana you had 48 hours, then your were ticketed. You then had another 24 or 48 hours (can't remember), then the city removed the snow and billed you on top of the ticket.

dragonfly_28 4 years, 11 months ago

The funny thing is most of you on here probably don't even have your own sidewalks cleared either. Seriously, isn't there something more important in the world to complain about the not removing the snow from sidewalks. Like, oh I don't know. Maybe, the economy for one and umemployment for another.

dlkrm 4 years, 11 months ago

Shoveling sidewalks makes them more hazardous, as it uncovers the ice at the bottom of the pile and allows new ice to form close to the cement. Besides, what morons are out walking on sidewalks in a foot of snow? AND, THIS CITY is going to fine me when they don't even run a snowplow down the streets during the worst snowstorm in years? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! Last year, the city cleared the bike paths but not the roads. I didn't bother to notice this week if they repeated that outrage. This city is a joke. Throw out all the bums.

notanoobhere 4 years, 11 months ago

Its sad that the city has to force people to shovel their sidewalk. I wish the self centered people in this town would look outside of their little bubble of a life help out a few people who actually walk somewhere and maybe help their neighbors who are to old or sick to do it themselves. Its forced self accountability, get your fat butt off the couch and shovel your sidewalk and maybe some of your neighbors, who knows next time some cracky is breaking into your house your neighbor might not look the other way.

justthefacts 4 years, 11 months ago

I got my driveway cleared (I don't have a public sidewalk on the property) and then (1) the city snow plows put 3 feet of snow AND ICE back onto my driveway (at the end) and (2) it snowed again last night.

Maybe we don't need this ordinance. Anyone who slips and falls and gets hurt because someone responsible was negligent in keeping things safe ( and that are open to the public) can make a claim against that entity or person's insurance. What does the ordinance provide that simple liability law does not?

audibleangel 4 years, 11 months ago

This is stupid. I walk everywhere, so essentially this does affect me, but i am not a property owner. Still this ordinance irks me because there are a number of reasons one may not be able to shovel their walk on a given day. Regardless of excuses, they will be ticketed, and many will throw away countless hours fighting mundane court cases. I want to know, if property owners, who otherwise have NO actual ownership of their sidewalks, are being forced to shovel their walkways, then who is going to take care of the 5ft in plowed snow on city property? ...Because i can assure you i spend much more time walking non-residential sidewalks during these extra cold times, and these streets are always more difficult to navigate in the snow. No use in walking on Tennessee/Kentucky street sidewalks anyway, because the city is too cheap to fix the canyon-sized cracks in the sidewalks. Okay, I know we're in the Missouri fault, but there hasn't been an earthquake in Lawrence KS in the time I've lived here. I've never seen sidewalk maintenance worse, which blows my mind considering how much money this city makes off downtown, those already existing plus newly-planted parking meters; not to mention the illegitimate no-parking signs that get switched out every once in a while so the city can make 40 dollars here and there.

"28 square miles of reality surrounded by Kansas" this one was clearly an example of satire. Thank you!

haggisgirl 4 years, 11 months ago

sciencefair says "If a 39 week pregnant woman (me) can get her rear out and shovel and salt her sidewalk, no one has an excuse." I beg to differ--my 89 year old father had his fourth hip surgery last year and my 87 year old mother fell and broke her pelvis while taking care of him. My mother panics everytime it snows because she's afraid of the city ticketing her. She usually doesn't wait for one of us to get over to her house to clear her sidewalks, she and my dad are out there trying to do it themselves. She shouldn't have to live in fear of the City or someone complaining about her walks, especially when there are sidewalks across the street and USD 497 has yet to clear two blocks of their walks.

HOMETOWNBOY 4 years, 11 months ago

This is what happens when you have a bunch of college educated idiots with absolutly no common since running things. Common since isn't as common as it used to be!

doc1 4 years, 11 months ago

I can see it now. The guy going into jail for refusing to pay his ticket. The other guy sitting there asks him what he's in for and all he can say is that he didn't shovel the snow off his sidewalk.

sciencefair 4 years, 11 months ago

haggisgirl (Anonymous) says… I beg to differ—my 89 year old father had his fourth hip surgery last year and my 87 year old mother fell and broke her pelvis while taking care of him. My mother panics everytime it snows because she's afraid of the city ticketing her. She usually doesn't wait for one of us to get over to her house to clear her sidewalks, she and my dad are out there trying to do it themselves. She shouldn't have to live in fear of the City or someone complaining about her walks, especially when there are sidewalks across the street and USD 497 has yet to clear two blocks of their walks.

Maybe you should go clear their sidewalk for them. After all you are their daughter. I would think you wouldn't want your parents to live in fear of the government and their evil fines. Instead you complain that people are shoveling their own sidewalks like responsible citizens. What a joke.

Bob Zimmerman 4 years, 11 months ago

What is everyone complaining about? You don't have to remove the snow. This is Lawrence, KS...nobody cares. Just look at the trash in people's yards. Or the fast food garbage on city streets. Or the broken down sidewalks that have not been repaired since the Korean war. Or the potholes in city streets that make some streets undrivable. Or the houses that are falling apart. Or the lack of street lights which makes night walks impossible. Or the crater filled parking lots all over town which can devour entire cars. Lawrence is starting to look like a 3rd world country and the snow at least covers it up.

sherlock 4 years, 11 months ago

sooo what do you think about cars being parked on busy streets, covered with snow that shows havent been moved in over a week? The ordinance states 48 hours and they are to be moved---but seems the cars that are being stored and parked forever are getting by, but homes will be penalized for not cleaning their sidewalks? So the city cant even clean the lanes for parked cars, shouldnt that law be enforced too huh????????? Many of the owners are probably gone for the Christmas vacation, thinking its ok to leave the vehicles for the winter, and think its their right to do so. City owned streets, city owned sidewalks???

Jimo 4 years, 11 months ago

City to distressed pedestrians -- drop dead!

pfunk81 4 years, 11 months ago

I want to know who's responsibility the sidewalks on N. 2nd St from the end of the bridge all the way down on the Village Witch, Gaslight, Johnny's side. They are absolutely horrible, unwalkable. Yeah, the bridge sidewalks got shoveled but not an inch past the guard rail. The snow is also knee deep on the sidewalk after the train underpass, I'm not sure who's those are, but I'm actually considering filing a complaint. Almost a week later and they haven't been touched.

LoveThsLife 4 years, 11 months ago

If the city wants sidewalks cleared I suggest they lead by example... The sidewalks down Clinton Parkway were completely unusable as of last night. I doubt they are any better today.

mmcalli 4 years, 11 months ago

A city snow plow just shoved a bunch of dirty slush into the area my daughter and I worked our butts off to clear to keep from getting stuck at the end of the driveway. Seriously? And the city wants people to shovel their sidewalks? Why bother when they will send their handy snow plows to push more up onto your hard work?

pace 4 years, 11 months ago

school is out, wear good boots, and give it a few days. Hire a kid or do your neighbors. Give it a break and quit whining about it for a few days. So what if the city gives a couple of extra days. More people should be staying home and off the roads,

uncleandyt 4 years, 11 months ago

Maybe the city will shovel my street, on the East side of town, where we haven't earned our sidewalks yet. I'll give 'em three more days, and then I'm gonna start writing tickets - imaginary tickets to nowhere. God Bless Dennis Barrett

Mike Hoffmann 4 years, 11 months ago

Please shovel your sidewalks. I'm tired of trying navigate slick, snowy roads while at the same time trying not to hit the goofballs walking in the street. This morning there was a guy walking right down the middle of 15th St.

9070811 4 years, 11 months ago

It is hard to be motivated to shovel your sidewalk when your street hasn't been plowed. My only fault was that I didn't own a shovel before the snow fall. Then I got snowed in and couldn't make a run to Ace.